Options

Could the Unemployed Help with the Flood Relief

Comments

• Options
    gummy mummygummy mummy Posts: 26,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    skp20040 wrote: »
    Not everyone in Surrey is a wealthy company owner, not all company owners are wealthy anyway and apart from that why should the people of Surrey pay those on JSA a living wage ?

They could employ them as full time skivvies cleaning up the flood waters and pay them a living wage until the work is done.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What about unemployed people in areas without flooding? The problem with these work for welfare schemes is the tax payers are no better off as they are still paying JSA. In fact they pay more due to the cost of hiring supervisors at full pay, training and health and safety.
    If it was workfare rather than voluntary, money might be saved due to people opting to stop claiming or failing to comply and having their benefits stopped. And for those that comply given that shifting sandbags is manual labour, it will most likely be cold and wet and the flood water is contaminated, and people have drowned you never know a few might not survive their work experience. After all to get JSA you don't need to be young fit and healthy or have suitable clothing for adverse conditions.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I doubt it would be a case of the job centre setting up a scheme for the unemployed to formally volunteer to help out. It would be more of a case of the job centre setting up a scheme of mandatory volunteering for the unemployed under threat of sanction.

At least they'd likely sort out some buses to get people to and from the affected areas though, so that's ok then ..
  • Options
    Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you believed one in three unemployed people are criminals with a recent criminal record would you honestly want the unemployed coming to help you a resident in a relatively affluent low crime area where there are empty properties and there already have been reports of looting?

Well nearly 1,000 serving police officers and PCSOs have a criminal record.
  • Options
    Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The champagne quaffers want them to clean out some country toffs drain no doubt.
  • Options
    MuzeMuze Posts: 2,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was said on another forum that it might be useful to cull the benefit scum and use then instead of sandbags.
    Sign me up!
    if the the last thing I do is poison some toffs' land, I'm in :D
  • Options
    Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I doubt it would be a case of the job centre setting up a scheme for the unemployed to formally volunteer to help out. It would be more of a case of the job centre setting up a scheme of mandatory volunteering for the unemployed under threat of sanction.
    More likely that if someone admits to filling sandbags then they'll be sanctioned for "working"
  • Options
    AxtolAxtol Posts: 8,480
    Forum Member
    I don't know if it could work but it seems like a good idea. If it's entirely voluntary so that you don't get any sanctions if you say you don't want to help then it proves that every claimant who is there is because they want to work hard for a good cause. If the certificate would be some kind of nationally recognized thing then that would help in future job interviews to demonstrate a good work ethic.
  • Options
    tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Muze wrote: »
    It was said on another forum that it might be useful to cull the benefit scum and use then instead of sandbags
    Do people really believe that people on benefits should be culled? I only hope they were joking.
    Ethel_Fred wrote: »
    More likely that if someone admits to filling sandbags then they'll be sanctioned for "working"
    Don't comply with an order to attend workfare and get sanctioned. Attend and get sanctioned for not complying with your Jobseeker Agreement.

As a jobseeker, you can't win.
  • Options
    dirty dingusdirty dingus Posts: 2,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With the offer of a shiny certificate at the end of sandbag filling training, surely you would have to offer it to all unemployed or it would be deemed unfair and preferential treatment for those out of work in the south. Will this mean that the government will provide transportation from Inverness,free meals,childcare, safety equipment and accommodation for those less than idle go getting job seekers to take part in the all in it together welly wearing forelock tugging days paddling?
  • Options
    flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    Jol44 wrote: »
    The champagne quaffers want them to clean out some country toffs drain no doubt.
    are you able to determine someone's views from the fact that they drink champagne?

or are you just crudely prejudiced?
  • Options
    Chester666666Chester666666 Posts: 9,020
    Forum Member
    Rick_Davis wrote: »
    They could work.

You will get huge oposition though, based on SLAVE LABOUR, how dare government as the unemployed to volunteer (for tax credit) to help less fortunate who have been flooded out.

slave labour is forced
    if a person was willing to volunteer and suffer no penalties from the jobcentre then that is not a problem
    the problem is removing people's time to seek a job by forcing them to labour for a company and aid its profits and then get replaced by another one
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ethel_Fred wrote: »

and yet you can be forced to labour for pound land or dunelm by the jobcentre
  • Options
    AxtolAxtol Posts: 8,480
    Forum Member
    With the offer of a shiny certificate at the end of sandbag filling training, surely you would have to offer it to all unemployed or it would be deemed unfair and preferential treatment for those out of work in the south. Will this mean that the government will provide transportation from Inverness,free meals,childcare, safety equipment and accommodation for those less than idle go getting job seekers to take part in the all in it together welly wearing forelock tugging days paddling?

I think common sense would apply as it doesn't make sense to be offering someone from Inverness the chance to do it because it would cost to much transport and they probably wouldn't want to do that much traveling if they weren't getting paid. It's simple enough as I see it when people sign on you ask them that if something like this happens in their area would they be interested in doing work to help out. If they are then they can be added to a list of people that can be contacted. But if this was to happen the jobcentre would need to emphasize to every person that it was NOT required and they would NOT face sanctions if they said no.
  • Options
    AndreaMCAndreaMC Posts: 3,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If someone is helping out in this way, they are in fact no longer unemployed. They are being employed to work on this task and deserve to be paid accordingly. It is real work after all, not the same thing as someone sitting in an office answering the telephone all day,
  • Options
    flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    AndreaMC wrote: »
    If someone is helping out in this way, they are in fact no longer unemployed. They are being employed to work on this task and deserve to be paid accordingly. It is real work after all, not the same thing as someone sitting in an office answering the telephone all day,

Can i just clarify this. it's only real work if it involves manual labour? any job that you do with your brain is not real work?

seems like volunteering might be good for the CV of someone on JSA. i bet after the floods, in a crowded job market, in flood effected areas, having volunteered during the floods would greatly help you in getting a job.

don't you agree?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    Can i just clarify this. it's only real work if it involves manual labour? any job that you do with your brain is not real work?
    I'd go further any job that is not heavy manual labour is not real work. Light manual labour and no manual labour jobs really don't compare to real work.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jol44 wrote: »
    Well nearly 1,000 serving police officers and PCSOs have a criminal record.
    Out of about 156,000 that's one in one hundred and fifty six, and I doubt those with a criminal record includes serious crimes. In comparison to the tabloid claim that one in three JSA claimants has a recent criminal record. And the one in four of the working age general population.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'd go further any job that is not heavy manual labour is not real work. Light manual labour and no manual labour jobs really don't compare to real work.

If it's a job then it's work by definition
    It's not like effort matters when you work as an office worker is working just like a builder or construction worker or dinner lady etc
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Out of about 156,000 that's one in one hundred and fifty six, and I doubt those with a criminal record includes serious crimes. In comparison to the tabloid claim that one in three JSA claimants has a recent criminal record. And the one in four of the working age general population.

Yes that comparison didn't really work out too well for him
  • Options
    fi_onafi_ona Posts: 1,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thorr wrote: »
    Once again we see the armed forces being bussed in to support the flood relief efforts, by laying sand bags etc. However, could not job centres set up a volunteer scheme, whereby those who are unemployed could formally volunteer to help out? In such an instance, on top of their JSA, those volunteers would also get their expenses covered and would also receive a letter/ certificate or some form of recognition to say they helped out. This they could then show to a prospective employer as a demonstration of their work ethic. Like I said, it would be completely voluntary, and benefits would not be affected if individuals did not sign up.

Funny isnt it the labels people put on people, except these days there are rules about that, laws that are strict against speaking out against minorities whatever their race, gender, or their disability but it is a free for all on the unemployed.
    Labelled as 'scroungers' 'criminals' 'thieves', oh the descriptive I could go on and on.
    Unemployed people are now looked upon as an underclass, a freak show, something to be pointed at, scoffed at, looked down on as 'those people'.
    Is that as a society what we have become?
    So yes what a brilliant idea, let them help out with the flood relief, aside from the fact that the fare to get them there from up North would take around six weeks of their total benefit to get a return ticket down there. They of course wont be able to eat, but hey what does that matter right? As long as they are helping out it doesn't matter if they pass out whilst on the chain gang does it. Just fill their pockets with sand and prop em up as a flood defence.
    Humanity or lack of it these days makes me sick.
    And no. I am not unemployed. I pay my taxes, I pay my way. I just happen to not believe that I am better than anyone else.
  • Options
    MeercamMeercam Posts: 1,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hey troll, how did you know they were unemployed, did they have it branded on their forehead

Hey, scrounger, they're in there every day, all day.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »

seems like volunteering might be good for the CV of someone on JSA. i bet after the floods, in a crowded job market, in flood effected areas, having volunteered during the floods would greatly help you in getting a job.

don't you agree?

No actually I dont agree.

Can you tell me how when going for a finance job as a for instance having been made redundant, and applying for every job going along with around 400 other people having a bit of paper saying that I helped chuck a few sandbags on someones drive is really going to nail it for me?
    Just asking like as an example.
  • Options
    MeercamMeercam Posts: 1,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Criminality is the job of the workshy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Meercam wrote: »
    Criminality is the job of the workshy.

Disagree. Criminality is the work of many in all walks of life. The difference is those who are workshy as you put it cant afford the good lawyers.