Options

Have any soap characters succeeded in attempting suicide?

Comments

• Options
    billiobillio Posts: 3,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Natasha?
  • Options
    SecretLifeoBeesSecretLifeoBees Posts: 50,941
    Forum Member
    Tony Gordon in Corrie deliberately walked back into the factory fire with the intention of killing himself.

Same with Steph Dean in Hollyoaks, although her motivation was that she was dying anyway. Either way it was still suicide, the act of causing their own deaths. When Frankie had a go at Esther for her suicide attempt and brought Steph into it I remember thinking if only she knew Steph had caused her own death prematurely by choosing to stay in the fire.
  • Options
    SecretLifeoBeesSecretLifeoBees Posts: 50,941
    Forum Member
    Looool!

Would u believe I thought cain was ugly then? I hate brit pop hair dos in my defence.

Chris tate was a fantastic character. I miss him. Sad face.

Me too. :D Cain is like a fine wine..... improved with age. :D
  • Options
    thejoyof_patthejoyof_pat Posts: 30,755
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looool!

Would u believe I thought cain was ugly then? I hate brit pop hair dos in my defence.

Chris tate was a fantastic character. I miss him. Sad face.

I sort of thought the same. :blush: not ugly but just did nothing for me. Same here, I loathed the Cain with the Brit-pop haircut.

Me too, I miss Kim as well
  • Options
    Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ethel in eastenders. One of the most heartbreaking and brilliantly acted scenes ever. Dot assisted but still is relevant to this thread imo.

I wept!
  • Options
    GeekInfectedGeekInfected Posts: 6,372
    Forum Member
    I wanted Alice Branning to top herself on Christmas Day on the anniversary of her father's death.
    Would have made for a great storyline - I bet they'd have done this had they known Jasmyn Banks wouldn't return for the court scenes.
  • Options
    StarryNightStarryNight Posts: 7,289
    Forum Member
    I've explained this before on here so sorry to be repeato-girl but it's very unlikely that a soap will have a sympathetic character succeed in taking their own life, the reason being that it is likely to provoke copy-cat cases from depressed viewers. It happened when a sympathetic Eastenders character killed himself in the late eighties / early nineties and there was also a rise in over-doses when Angie Watts was shown to take one. Of course, that's a correlation not causation but soaps have to be very careful about what they're showing now.

If anyone saw the episode of Hollyoaks in which Esther takes an overdose then you may have noticed that it had a different style than most of Hollyoaks' emotional scenes in that there was no incidental music - this is because music acts as a way of 'glamourising' (for want of a better word) suicide. They have to be super careful about what they show. I was really worried about how they were going to handle it at the time but they did a good job, I think.

Any successful suicide attempts in recent years tend to be from villain i.e. EE Stella and Hollyoaks' Niall and they tend to be the result of a momentary decision rather than the result of severe depression.
  • Options
    SplotSplot Posts: 600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don Brennan from Corrie?
  • Options
    Amazee-DayzeeAmazee-Dayzee Posts: 1,809
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pandora. wrote: »
    Did Donna Ludlow overdose or was it an accident? (I didn't watch at the time, just going by Wikipedia)

I think she meant to overdose in a suicidal gesture, but not sure she actually intended to.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure Hollyoaks must off sensationalist this sensitive issue to the max at one point in their run.
  • Options
    StarryNightStarryNight Posts: 7,289
    Forum Member
    Aaron1995 wrote: »
    I'm sure Hollyoaks must off sensationalist this sensitive issue to the max at one point in their run.

Actually, no. The first time they did it was probably the most disturbing and off-putting depiction of suicide i've ever seen. Lewis Richardson, in a Hollyoaks Later series. They also handled Esther's attempt well. Credit where it's due, Hollyoaks has never sensationalised suicide. In fact, due to its young audience they've probably been extra cautious whenever sensitive issues come up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Splot wrote: »
    Don Brennan from Corrie?

He was trying to kill Mike Baldwin and didn't mean to crash into the viaduct and kill himself.

The biggest one for me though I wasn't into British soap operas at the time is Lewis, because he changed his mind at the last minute.

And although it wasn't shown on screen, Michael Moon's mother Maggie took an overdose of sleeping pills hoping that Eddie would find her in time. He didn't, and a six year old Michael found her body. I was sure he was gonna commit suicide like his mother did to frame Janine.
  • Options
    machobobmachobob Posts: 649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MCALLY21 wrote: »
    Didn't Kevin's wife commit suicide by jumping in front of a lorry after she kidnapped a baby in Corrie?

Alice? That was brilliant. Well, you know what I mean.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Her name was Alison which weirdly enough, was also the name of his mother.
  • Options
    iMatt_101iMatt_101 Posts: 7,081
    Forum Member
    redrose89 wrote: »
    It was the original idea according to one of the writing team but I don't know how far the idea got. Maybe they thought it would be too extreme?
    Is there a source about the original idea?
  • Options
    MelSingletonMelSingleton Posts: 1,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Corrie: Kevin's wife Alison killed herself throwing herself under the wheels of a passing truck. She had earlier been falsely suspected, by Sally, of harming Sally and Kevin's daughters. (Alison had merely taken them to have a family portrait done.) She later cracked up with the death of her own baby. http://coronationstreet.wikia.com/wiki/Alison_Webster

1980s Australian soap Sons and Daughters: Leigh Palmer also killed herself throwing herself under the wheels of a passing truck.

1980s Australian soap Prisoner: Eve Wilder's solicitor shot himself in the interview room; prisoner Kerryn Davies hanged herself; Bev "The Beast" Baker killed herself by injecting an airbubble into a vein.
  • Options
    kitkat1971kitkat1971 Posts: 39,260
    Forum Member
    Corrie: Kevin's wife Alison killed herself throwing herself under the wheels of a passing truck. She had earlier been falsely suspected, by Sally, of harming Sally and Kevin's daughters. (Alison had merely taken them to have a family portrait done.)

1980s Australian soap Sons and Daughters: Leigh Palmer also killed herself throwing herself under the wheels of a passing truck.

1980s Australian soap Prisoner: Eve Wilder's solicitor shot himself in the interview room; prisoner Kerryn Davies hanged herself; Bev "The Beast" Baker killed herself by injecting an airbubble into a vein.

Ah of course Leigh. I knew there was another major character aside from Paul Shepherd in Sons and Daughters. Hal Mason also killed himself. Wayne, Susan, Karen and Colin also all attempted it at points but didn't succeed.
  • Options
    kitkat1971kitkat1971 Posts: 39,260
    Forum Member
    He was trying to kill Mike Baldwin and didn't mean to crash into the viaduct and kill himself.

The biggest one for me though I wasn't into British soap operas at the time is Lewis, because he changed his mind at the last minute.

And although it wasn't shown on screen, Michael Moon's mother Maggie took an overdose of sleeping pills hoping that Eddie would find her in time. He didn't, and a six year old Michael found her body. I was sure he was gonna commit suicide like his mother did to frame Janine.

Lewis Richardson's was very harrowing for several reasons - his having changed his mind as you mentioned, having nearly all his family and friends berating him on his death bed for being so selfish and the pure physicality of it - the jaundice, vomiting, describing how his organs were shutting down one by one and that it was taking days of excruciating pain. There was nothing glamorous about it - I find it hard to imagine anyone wanting to copy that which is, as someone pointed out, a huge worry for Producers. Even if it doesn't happen, or of course there is no proven link,, they'll be accused of it.
  • Options
    MelSingletonMelSingleton Posts: 1,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kitkat1971 wrote: »
    Ah of course Leigh. I knew there was another major character aside from Paul Shepherd in Sons and Daughters. Hal Mason also killed himself. Wayne, Susan, Karen and Colin also all attempted it at points but didn't succeed.

Prisoner had a number of suicide attempts. Sara survived a suicide pact but her boyfriend Allan Jeffries didn't. Doreen tried to hang herself but was saved in time.
  • Options
    Tom-Bennett.Tom-Bennett. Posts: 2,558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Joe Mcintyre :D
  • Options
    LTSLTS Posts: 9,104
    Forum Member

I always thought he did mean to kill himself (and obviously wanted to finish off Mike in the process!) as he was already dying of cancer. I remember him attempting suicide several times previously to that.
  • Options
    Cyrus1967Cyrus1967 Posts: 22
    Forum Member
    Don't mean to sound pedantic, but your OP sounds obscure - meaning if you have 'attempted' suicide,Have you have been successful in your 'attempt'?

Surely you refer to a soap character being 'successful' in their act of 'suicide', i.e exiting from this existence?

Cyrus
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Prisoner had a number of suicide attempts. Sara survived a suicide pact but her boyfriend Allan Jeffries didn't. Doreen tried to hang herself but was saved in time.

Cell Block 'H'?
    Used to bloody love that show!

Cyrus
  • Options
    Forum Member
    MelSingleton;71430248 Bev "The Beast" Baker killed herself by injecting an airbubble into a vein...
    ... like the Ian MacKellen character in the movie 'Apt Pupil'?

Cyrus
  • Options
    Forum Member
    kitkat1971 wrote: »

Bloody 'ell KK, you're more living in the past than I am (re: 'Sons and Daughters!).

Cyrus. ;-)