ITN Source wrote: »
    Sadly I agree...:(

Why would it be sad to find something in Australia? :confused:
  • Options
    Demolished ManDemolished Man Posts: 527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why would it be sad to find something in Australia? :confused:

We know what happened to the Australian prints - they were returned to BBC Enterprises in 1974, and all subsequently junked. Apart from the handful that got spirited away, which is why odd Australian edited episodes (Galaxy 4 and The Underwater Menace, for the most recent examples) have occasionally turned up in the UK and not Australia.
  • Options
    CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So even if it did turn up in Australia there'd be bits cut out by the censors. Not that the story had that much violence.
  • Options
    JCRJCR Posts: 24,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ITN Source wrote: »
    Who is Scot?

Scot Ferre, not of this parish. Hangs out here- http://doctorwhoworldwide.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=27&sid=14172c05d7382f683fd6b3cb3ba4cb4f amongst other places.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 61
    Forum Member
    Mr Seta wrote: »
    This is along the lines with what I speculated. The thing with this theory I don't understand is that I heard the BBC is not in the business to use tax payers money to potentially line people's pockets in order to get old shows back -? This would seem to indicate, well possibly this is not necessarily the case. Why do we know so little about the whole process and what is really going on? It's incredible really. All seems to be based on a lot of wide-ranging theories being shared on websites like this (to which I'm part of I might add).

It depends. The BBC itself uses money from the licence fee (not technically a tax, but in practice one) but it also operates a traditional commercial company, BBC Enterprises, which certainly can make investments as long as it gets a return. Depending on how they did it, BBC Enterprises could have bought the episodes knowing it could sell them via iTunes and DVD.

That's an angle which I don't believe has been explored so far: WEB and ENEMY did well on iTunes but their real sales performance will probably come from DVD. It may well be that the BBC themselves have decided not to buy any more missing episodes back from PM (or anyone else, if any of the other rumours are true) until they can fully assess the DVD sales and see how worthwhile it is. If that's the case, we could be looking at many months before any further hard info comes out.
  • Options
    cat666cat666 Posts: 2,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Werthead wrote: »
    That's an angle which I don't believe has been explored so far: WEB and ENEMY did well on iTunes but their real sales performance will probably come from DVD. It may well be that the BBC themselves have decided not to buy any more missing episodes back from PM (or anyone else, if any of the other rumours are true) until they can fully assess the DVD sales and see how worthwhile it is. If that's the case, we could be looking at many months before any further hard info comes out.

Classic Doctor Who will sell, the BBC don't need proof of this.
  • Options
    chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cat666 wrote: »

DW will sell, However, if the BBC have had to shell out a wheelbarrow full of gold for each "found" episode, they need to guarantee a significantly greater return on each "fund" DVD/download than they would in something they've had in the archives all along.

None of us knows if money changed hands for Web/Enemy being returned, but P.Morris must at least need his airfare covered to Nigeria and back.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 46
    Forum Member
    I would have thought he gets a certain amount of expenses paid and has some kind of limited contract with finding fees based on the importance of what he finds in that time. That's what I'd negotiate. Probably wouldn't be costing BBC Enterprises too much if they are the payers.
  • Options
    ThrombinThrombin Posts: 9,416
    Forum Member
    So even if it did turn up in Australia there'd be bits cut out by the censors. Not that the story had that much violence.

The Australian cuts from some stories are the only things that survived, ironically. Lost in Time has a whole host of them because the Australians kept all the clippings of the cuts they made but not the episodes themselves!
  • Options
    CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thrombin wrote: »
    The Australian cuts from some stories are the only things that survived, ironically. Lost in Time has a whole host of them because the Australians kept all the clippings of the cuts they made but not the episodes themselves!

None from Marco, though.
  • Options
    sertonserton Posts: 730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apologies if this has been posted earlier: News piece from another site with quotes from Steve Roberts of the Restoration Team:

http://doctorwhoworldwide.com/2014/02/19/head-doctor-restoration-believes-marco-polo-found/
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 194
    Forum Member
    If you read it, he says he has no proof at all. He's doing what everyone on this thread is doing - stirring the pot.
  • Options
    TheophileTheophile Posts: 2,947
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1milescarf wrote: »
    If you read it, he says he has no proof at all. He's doing what everyone on this thread is doing - stirring the pot.

Yeah, but I really like the way that he thinks. :)
  • Options
    The_abbottThe_abbott Posts: 26,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cat666 wrote: »

agreed.

They could even repackage all the stories again and they would sell again.

Dr Who probably sells better than any other TV show.
  • Options
    cat666cat666 Posts: 2,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DW will sell, However, if the BBC have had to shell out a wheelbarrow full of gold for each "found" episode, they need to guarantee a significantly greater return on each "fund" DVD/download than they would in something they've had in the archives all along.

None of us knows if money changed hands for Web/Enemy being returned, but P.Morris must at least need his airfare covered to Nigeria and back.

But no release means no money for anyone. Lets say Phil Morris is holding out for a massive payday, he isn't going to make anything significant unless he sells it to the BBC. The best he can hope for is something from a private collector, and I highly doubt anyone will pay more than the BBC are willing to give him. The episodes cannot be released without the BBC's involvement as they own all the trademarks.

However Phil Morris isn't the sort of person to do anything like that, yes he wants to be paid but he won't be asking for ridiculous amounts, only enough to balance his books and to pay his wage. He may want a % of the sales but I doubt it. Enemy/Web thrust his business into the spotlight. That's got to be worth something to him, and likewise the interviews for DWM and the press will net him more revenue too. None of it will be possible without returning them to the BBC though.
  • Options
    chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The_abbott wrote: »
    agreed.

Would repackinging lead to re-sale? I have bought a couple of the "revisitations" DVDs if I have foudn them cheap in CEX. I've inly got half a dozen of them, and the only one bought new was The Aztecs (bought for Air Lock alone). I would thinka lot of people on this forum might say the same thing ... even if the stories are released on Bluray, most people wouldn't necessarily bother with them again unless there's something very different included.
  • Options
    grazey1985grazey1985 Posts: 1,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The_abbott wrote: »
    agreed.

Game of thrones is the highest selling tv show.The classic dvd range does sell but some of them only sell less than 20k
  • Options
    SambdaSambda Posts: 6,210
    Forum Member
    DiscoP wrote: »
    The thing is, and I'm not saying that I believe this claim, but from listening to the podcast with Steve Roberts, it's not quite as simple as that. Hypothetically someone could have three film cans that are labelled as the episodes mentioned but they have no way of actually playing or recording them until they get someone like Paul V involved.

Unroll a few inches of film and bung it on a flatbed scanner. Easy.
  • Options
    Dr jake youngDr jake young Posts: 652
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    grazey1985 wrote: »
    Game of thrones is the highest selling tv show.The classic dvd range does sell but some of them only sell less than 20k

Lol, it's also the most heavily pirated show!

I wander how it can be both?
  • Options
    grazey1985grazey1985 Posts: 1,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Not everybody can afford HBO/SKY every month. More people actually pirated it than watched on HBO. Some people illegally download then buy the dvd/blu ray legally as a way of supporting the show.
  • Options
    ThrombinThrombin Posts: 9,416
    Forum Member

If the same percentage pirated it as bought it as for any other show but the amount of people watching it was much higher than other shows then it would, of necessity, be the most pirated and the best selling :)
  • Options
    TEDRTEDR Posts: 3,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

HBO has a special deal with the cable operators. The knock-on effect is that — in the US — it can't sell content into any of the normal places like Netflix or Hulu. It has its own streaming service but it can't sell membership directly to consumers. Instead you have to subscribe to a cable operator, purchase the HBO package then use those credentials to get access to HBO's streaming, direct from HBO.

When HBO content is popular, it is popular in all markets. So it's popular:
    • when broadcast;
    • when sold physically; and
    • for streaming.

However the barrier to legal streaming is absurdly high. As a result there is record piracy. However it replaces streams that people would have paid for, not physical products.

(EDIT: kudos to the Digital Spy team for still offering bullet points in their composer but creating a forum style that doesn't render them)
  • Options
    TardisSteveTardisSteve Posts: 8,077
    Forum Member
    I really hope these rumours of Marco Polo being found are true, one of my favourite serials
  • Options
    nextexitnextexit Posts: 1,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really hope these rumours of Marco Polo being found are true, one of my favourite serials

At this point, I'd be more surprised if it hadn't been found (especially when the rumours suggest that it's been found in 3 different places :p )
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JCR wrote: »
    Scot Ferre, not of this parish. Hangs out here- http://doctorwhoworldwide.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=27&sid=14172c05d7382f683fd6b3cb3ba4cb4f amongst other places.

Scot gave a great insight of the missing episodes. He and Puqui are the only 2 fans I believe.