Options

Missing episode discovery rumours

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grazey1985 wrote: »
    Another post taking a shot at the restoration team. How tiresome. He was doing it for dramatic effect. Not being childish. The list was a list of eps that was to be in the process of being restored by the restoration team. Ripping up was a denial that they were restoring them. He tried straight denials multiple times so a more dramatic approach was required. He later said that he believes Phil has Marco polo but has no proof.

It just felt a childish thing to do just to provoke a reaction. Fans know the info on the net no matter how many pieces of paper he rips up.

I bet the trees were pissed!
  • Options
    sjamessjames Posts: 1,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm calling this latest rumour from Mark Henshaw a hoax.

In the latest update to his website, he points to an address of a solicitors and after a quick google it appears to be it doesn't exist - although there's a place called Barnet at the postcode given, there's no 'High Street'.

The only thing is, is if there is a death notice put online anywhere for a 'Mr George Wilkinson' - I found one for someone in America who died aged 91 at the end of January, but a bit too early for today's one yet!
  • Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sjames wrote: »
    I'm calling this latest rumour from Mark Henshaw a hoax.

In the latest update to his website, he points to an address of a solicitors and after a quick google it appears to be it doesn't exist - although there's a place called Barnet at the postcode given, there's no 'High Street'.

The only thing is, is if there is a death notice put online anywhere for a 'Mr George Wilkinson' - I found one for someone in America who died aged 91 at the end of January, but a bit too early for today's one yet!

There is a Barnet High Street but the Post code is EN5 rather than EN7 as he puts.

There doesn't seem to be a 267 High Street or a Redgrave House and a search on the soliciters name doesn't bring up a match so yeah it's obviously a Hoax.

Before checking the details I did wonder if the Solicitors might be real and this Mark guy had a beef with them and getting hundreds of DW fans to contact them was his way of annoying them :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,967
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If Marco Polo has been found, my view is that the prints are most likely to have come from Hong Kong, Kenya, Ghana, Barbados, Ethiopia and maybe Iran, Canada or even Australia (although the latter 3 are unlikely).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 61
    Forum Member
    Can someone provide a precis? I really don't understand Twitter and the way it lists messages and conversations.

One thing that is clear from the twitter page is that Ian mgiht give himself an aneurysm at any moment. :(

As far as I can gather, Ian's position is that Phil Morris has all of these hundreds of film cans, almost certainly including more WHO, and has not handed them over to the BBC; thus the RT is correct when it says it has received no more material. According to Ian, this is because Phil is holding them hostage for unknown reasons, possibly more money.

There's all sorts of other possibilities, of course. It has been claimed that Morris only handed over WEB and ENEMY once he received assurances they would be given full restorations and not rushed out (allegedly as the BBC first wanted). It may be that similar assurances for the other material have not yet been forthcoming. It's also been suggested that Morris handed over those ones because they were in the best shape and everything else would need to be much more closely checked (possibly by him and his company, hence why they haven't been given back to the BBC yet and may not be for a long time). The more cynical may say that Morris handed over those two as a sign of good faith and, since their impressive sales performances, might now want more money per episode or can.

It's all highly speculative. However, the RT's apparently definitive comment that nothing else has been returned to them does seem to eliminate a previous possibility, that Morris had returned everything and the RT was going over it all with a fine-toothed comb to discern exactly would could be recovered and released before saying anything (which might take years still). It that process hasn't even begun yet, the delays would therefore all appear to be at Morris's end. This gives people impatient with the situation someone to blame and/or criticise, rather than previously where it was unclear if it was Morris, the BBC or the RT at fault (if you even believe anyone is).

The other possibility, which seems unlikely now but may still be the case, is that nothing else other than WEB and ENEMY has been recovered, the rumours are referring to leads rather than actually-recovered material and people are getting bent out of shape over nothing.
  • Options
    CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Even if Ian is right, I think Morris at this time comes out as significantly more hero than villain.
  • Options
    cat666cat666 Posts: 2,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even if Ian is right, I think Morris at this time comes out as significantly more hero than villain.

Yeah Phil isn't holding anything to ransom, he is a fan at the end of the day and wants to get the shows back first and foremost. He may have kept some stuff quiet, but it won't be for dodgy reasons and it will be in the interest of the fans.

Ian just likes a rant, and is probably jealous he has nothing to do with the recoveries and is sitting on the fan side of the fence, rather than on the side who knows whats going on.
  • Options
    M@nterikM@nterik Posts: 6,982
    Forum Member
    ITN Source wrote: »
    If Marco Polo has been found, my view is that the prints are most likely to have come from Hong Kong, Kenya, Ghana, Barbados, Ethiopia and maybe Iran, Canada or even Australia (although the latter 3 are unlikely).

Australia is extremely likely, all IMHO, of course ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 194
    Forum Member
    What is this website? :confused:

A very obvious wind-up. The sudden realisation that he had missing episodes was too much for him?

I find it much more believable that a Very Large Fan Indeed turned up when he saw the website and shouted him to death.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Morris is a businessman first and foremost. He has no obligation to Dr Who fans. Especially given the initial hostile reaction to him online when he first popped up. One fan even told him to improve his spelling if he wanted to get on with finding episodes. Others said all these places had already been searched. By "searched" they meant a few faxes had been sent.
  • Options
    TEDRTEDR Posts: 3,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    M@nterik wrote: »
    Morris is a businessman first and foremost. He has no obligation to Dr Who fans. Especially given the initial hostile reaction to him online when he first popped up. [...]

Oh, it's the Internet. It's all just so much water off a duck's back to any grown up at this point, isn't it? Though the businessman point is valid. In a capitalist society Morris's reward for investing money and resources in tracking down a resource is being able to act so as to maximise his income from the sale. Since this isn't like petrol where you can just go and buy it off someone else, negotiations are likely to be difficult.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    TEDR wrote: »
    Oh, it's the Internet. It's all just so much water off a duck's back to any grown up at this point, isn't it? Though the businessman point is valid. In a capitalist society Morris's reward for investing money and resources in tracking down a resource is being able to act so as to maximise his income from the sale. Since this isn't like petrol where you can just go and buy it off someone else, negotiations are likely to be difficult.

Well although the internet it was not a forum like this one but the Missing Episodes Forum where it is full of middle aged men sensibly discussing possible finds of old TV shows. Not the sort of forum to pour scorn on people for the temerity of holding a viewpoint unlike other forums such as GB or, dare I say, this one last year.
  • Options
    JCRJCR Posts: 24,097
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DiscoP wrote: »
    Meanwhile someone else is claiming to have found an episode of the Celestial Toymaker and two episodes of the Faceless Ones, although this is widely believed to be yet another hoax:

http://missing-episodes.webs.com

100% a hoax. The address currently on the page is property owned by Ian Levine, who has apparently reported this guy to the police for stalking him.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    JCR wrote: »
    100% a hoax. The address currently on the page is property owned by Ian Levine, who has apparently reported this guy to the police for stalking him.

No it is not. It was changed earlier in the day to a fictitious address.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Probably best to ask Scot.
  • Options
    Mr SetaMr Seta Posts: 380
    Forum Member
    Werthead wrote: »
    There's all sorts of other possibilities, of course. It has been claimed that Morris only handed over WEB and ENEMY once he received assurances they would be given full restorations and not rushed out (allegedly as the BBC first wanted). It may be that similar assurances for the other material have not yet been forthcoming. It's also been suggested that Morris handed over those ones because they were in the best shape and everything else would need to be much more closely checked (possibly by him and his company, hence why they haven't been given back to the BBC yet and may not be for a long time). The more cynical may say that Morris handed over those two as a sign of good faith and, since their impressive sales performances, might now want more money per episode or can.

It's all highly speculative. However, the RT's apparently definitive comment that nothing else has been returned to them does seem to eliminate a previous possibility, that Morris had returned everything and the RT was going over it all with a fine-toothed comb to discern exactly would could be recovered and released before saying anything (which might take years still). It that process hasn't even begun yet, the delays would therefore all appear to be at Morris's end. This gives people impatient with the situation someone to blame and/or criticise, rather than previously where it was unclear if it was Morris, the BBC or the RT at fault (if you even believe anyone is).

The other possibility, which seems unlikely now but may still be the case, is that nothing else other than WEB and ENEMY has been recovered, the rumours are referring to leads rather than actually-recovered material and people are getting bent out of shape over nothing.

This is along the lines with what I speculated. The thing with this theory I don't understand is that I heard the BBC is not in the business to use tax payers money to potentially line people's pockets in order to get old shows back -? This would seem to indicate, well possibly this is not necessarily the case. Why do we know so little about the whole process and what is really going on? It's incredible really. All seems to be based on a lot of wide-ranging theories being shared on websites like this (to which I'm part of I might add).

Also, since the announcement of EotW & WoF, notice how Morris has gone completely quiet. Why didn't a reporter late last year simply ask him, "so are you sitting on any more releases?" -this would be the obvious question to ask. Were they allowed to ask him this? hmm

If Morris isn't sitting on others & still out there simply looking, then I think it would be good of him, even simply via an update on his website to do this. People will respond with, he doesn't owe us anything, look what he's already provided, but there is a groundswell of expectation now been generated since late last year, and he knows it too.

I don't know about others out there, but, regardless of who's viewed as the hero and who's the villain, this is all starting to get beyond a joke now for me. Yes, I for one am starting to lose my patience.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Mr Seta wrote: »
    This is along the lines with what I speculated. The thing with this theory I don't understand is that I heard the BBC is not in the business to use tax payers money to potentially line people's pockets in order to get old shows back -? This would seem to indicate, well possibly this is not necessarily the case. Why do we know so little about the whole process and what is really going on? It's incredible really. All seems to be based on a lot of wide-ranging theories being shared on websites like this (to which I'm part of I might add).

Also, since the announcement of EotW & WoF, notice how Morris has gone completely quiet. Why didn't a reporter late last year simply ask him, "so are you sitting on any more releases?" -this would be the obvious question to ask. Were they allowed to ask him this? hmm

If Morris isn't sitting on others & still out there simply looking, then I think it would be good of him, even simply via an update on his website to do this. People will respond with, he does owe us anything, look what he's already provided, but there is a groundswell of expectation now been generated since late last year, and he knows it too.

I don't know about others out there, but, regardless of who's viewed as the hero and who's the villain, this is all starting to get beyond a joke now for me. Yes, I for one am starting to lose my patience.

Have Patience. Good things come to those who wait. Why announce finds before the search is complete and deals are done. It is not only Phil who searches. Private Collectors who are known to have stuff too.

I am perfectly comfortable with the current state of play.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Over the last couple of days some forums have gone out of their way to try to belittle Scot, Eddie and Puqui. They are still solid chaps.

Scot is a regular on the Doctor who Worldwide forum. Drop in there to ask him a question. It is a terrific place to hang out.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Mr Seta wrote: »
    This is along the lines with what I speculated. The thing with this theory I don't understand is that I heard the BBC is not in the business to use tax payers money to potentially line people's pockets in order to get old shows back -?

That is the party line but I know someone who has returned material who got money from it. I was at a party in the summer where he spoke about it at length, no secret at all.
  • Options
    Rita's KabinRita's Kabin Posts: 36,483
    Forum Member
    That is the party line but I know someone who has returned material who got money from it. I was at a party in the summer where he spoke about it at length, no secret at all.

Given that the Enemy and Web came from PM dare I wonder whether the material your friend returned is currently under wraps ie: not confirmed as being found / returned to the BBC :confused::confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Given that the Enemy and Web came from PM dare I wonder whether the material your friend returned is currently under wraps ie: not confirmed as being found / returned to the BBC :confused::confused:

It was not Dr Who. The chap is not a friend just someone I overheard at a party. The material is back.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 194
    Forum Member
    ...Good things come to those who wait.

Unless, of course, the whole thing is a fraud. :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Australia is extremely likely, all IMHO, of course ;)

Sadly I agree...:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Who is Scot?
  • Options
    Demolished ManDemolished Man Posts: 527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have Patience. Good things come to those who wait. Why announce finds before the search is complete and deals are done. It is not only Phil who searches. Private Collectors who are known to have stuff too.

I am perfectly comfortable with the current state of play.

Indeed - I suspect that Philip Morris is waiting until he's sure there's no more things to find before returning them, instead of giving them back in dribs and drabs. He's said in the past that too much attention made his search much harder (not to mention dangerous), after all.

People seem to be fairly confident that he's found Marco Polo, and the normally taciturn TIFA twitter feed's 'Merry Christmas, Anneke!' may or may not be a hint of something else, too. I'm pretty sure the films are in safe hands with him.

I'm prepared to be patient. 'The Web of Fear' episode four is the episode I've always wanted to watch, so I would have been utterly delighted if that was the only one he ever returned! The fact that it came back with eight other episodes is nothing short of amazing. And people are complaining because nine is less than ninety.

'The Web of Fear' DVD comes out on Monday! Who'd have thought it?