Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 58)

Comments

• Options
    NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 8,635
    Forum Member
    Incredible, but deserved it is a very clever format.

I think that 15m must be some kind of reach figure over the last seven months.
    Hosted by Brooke Burns, with Mark Labbett as the brilliant and intimidating “Beast,” THE CHASE has established itself as one of GSN’s most popular original series ever and has been seen by more than 15 million total viewers since its premiere in August, 2013.
  • Options
    SamuelWSamuelW Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    NeilVW wrote: »
    I think that 15m must be some kind of reach figure over the last six months.
    Its all spin. The Chase doesnt even get a million viewers on average in the States.
  • Options
    D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SamuelW wrote: »
    Pointless is a better format though, as evidenced by its repeatedly higher averages than the Chase.

Monday 10th March - The Chase had a higher average excluding +1 than Pointless.

Also 'better format' is subjective.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    D.M.N. wrote: »

Also 'better format' is subjective.
    That's a rare occurence which happens once in a while. Pointless wins most of the time. According to the viewers who watch tv at the time, they generally prefer to watch Pointless over the Chase. It used to be the chase but not anymore.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Oo...interesting. Do you have those consolidated figures to hand please? :)

Yesterday Pointless beat The Chase in overnights (including +1, not tape-checked, as per Screenwatch). Seems to be back to nip and tuck between the two.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Finally some good news for Itv, Chelsea are through to the next round of the Champions league. 1 British team out of 5 has made it to the next round of European competition.
  • Options
    H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pointless is a better format though, as evidenced by its repeatedly higher averages than the Chase.

As evidenced by its free The Chase competition period for a couple of months. If they hadn't happened The Chase would still be ahead. The weekend editions pre-Strictly has also helped. But both are doing well.

I notice you seem to have skimmed past the rating for The Widower this morning, it did better than you forecasted.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its all spin. The Chase doesnt even get a million viewers on average in the States.

Says the expert :D
  • Options
    GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As evidenced by its free The Chase competition period for a couple of months. If they hadn't happened The Chase would still be ahead. The weekend editions pre-Strictly has also helped. But both are doing well.

I don't understand much of this post. It was ages ago that The Chase took a break, and I'm not sure it was winning beforehand. You can talk with Samuel about spin, but this entire post is spinning like a top

I could make a cheap reason why Pointless had fallen back in this good weather, but in the end it just varies a bit, no big reason. Yet Pointless clearly edges it most days.

It's much more popular at weekends then the Chase whatever the lead-in/out. Some might just say because it's more popular.
  • Options
    D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oo...interesting. Do you have those consolidated figures to hand please? :)

Yesterday Pointless beat The Chase in overnights (including +1, not tape-checked, as per Screenwatch). Seems to be back to nip and tuck between the two.

Excluding +1s

03/03 - 3.90m vs 3.09m
    04/03 - 3.80m vs 2.96m
    05/03 - 3.59m vs 3.13m
    06/03 - 3.84m vs 3.22m
    07/03 - 3.70m vs 2.89m

10/03 - 3.260m vs 3.262m

So yes, it was a one off. ;)
  • Options
    Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No surprise to see Titchmarsh's chat show biting the dust. The only surprise is how long it's lasted with those figures.

.......reportedly the final series will bring to an end a 5.5 million pound contract. Astonishing figure.

Its strange, when Alan Titchmarsh fronted the substantial series "British Isles-A Natural History" there was talk of him stepping into David Attenboroughs shoes (admittedly not the first or last such suggestion) as the face of natural history long term. It never worked out that way though-presumably the lure of the afternoon tea brigade and 5.5 million pounds was more tempting ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    That's nuts. £5.5m for hosting a slot-losing daytime chatshow and a gardening programme which slightly perks up ITV's woeful Tuesday primetime flop zone for a few weeks a year.

Money for old rope!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Excluding +1s

03/03 - 3.90m vs 3.09m
    04/03 - 3.80m vs 2.96m
    05/03 - 3.59m vs 3.13m
    06/03 - 3.84m vs 3.22m
    07/03 - 3.70m vs 2.89m

10/03 - 3.260m vs 3.262m

So yes, it was a one off. ;)

Thanks for that. :) Screenwatch says Pointless beat The Chase overnight (inc +1, not tape-checked) last Tuesday with 3.30m and again on Thursday with 3.32m. Strange, that rating on Monday 10th. The lead-in to Pointless changed, but I doubt new Flog It!: Trade Secrets was much less popular than new Antiques Road Trip. Possibly weather-related, but your figures show that The Chase was actually higher in officials last Monday than on any day the previous week.
  • Options
    C14EC14E Posts: 32,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't get too excited about the Titchmarsh deal - he owns the production company (Spun Gold) so any inflated figure is likely explained by it including production costs. Itv almost certainly won't be paying more than £60k an hour for his show (and it's probably a bit less than £50k).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Makes sense. Now that you mention it I seem to remember the press playing similar games with Jonathan Ross's supposed pay packet?

There were 98 daytime Titchmarsh shows last year, so even at £50k an hour that's £4.9m a year right there.
  • Options
    yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member
    C14E wrote: »
    I wouldn't get too excited about the Titchmarsh deal - he owns the production company (Spun Gold) so any inflated figure is likely explained by it including production costs. Itv almost certainly won't be paying more than £60k an hour for his show (and it's probably a bit less than £50k).

Am I the only one who is suprised it costs even 50k an hour? It looks like its been done in a potting shed for about £4.99.
  • Options
    Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Makes sense. Now that you mention it I seem to remember the press playing similar games with Jonathan Ross's supposed pay packet?

There were 98 daytime Titchmarsh shows last year, so even at £50k an hour that's £4.9m a year right there.

Exactly I'm glad this has been nipped in the bud quickly unlike most press stories which get posted here. Yes they also did the same with Jonathan Ross's salary.

Regarding The Chase and Pointless, they are both good formats, can't we leave it at that without all this over the top "Time and time again the nation flocks to Britain's favourite quiz show blah blah blah". We all know each one would put on about a million if the other wasn't on. They both have good points and annoying points. I fluctuate between the two depending on what mood I'm in. The ratings can easily be spun either way as well.

Pointless works better as a celebrity special though which is why The Chase always seems a bit restricted in its ratings on a Saturday. When celebs are playing against each other on Pointless, it doesn't matter if they are all rubbish as someone will still win even if 3 out of 4 couples gets 200. On The Chase rubbish celebs answering questions which they get wrong doesn't make a great show. Probably also why Celebrity Tipping Point works quite well.
  • Options
    Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rob1985 wrote: »
    Coronation Street was Monday's most-watched soap (March 17) with Maria's shock discovery, overnight figures show.

8.21m (38.2%) tuned in at 7.30pm on ITV and 131k (0.6%) on +1 as Todd set a trap for Marcus by seducing him at the showhouse. 8.11m (34.3%) returned at 8.30pm and 174k (0.8%) on +1 as Maria caught Todd and Marcus in a compromising position.

EastEnders attracted 7.14m (31.3%) at 8pm on BBC One as Stacey and Max shared a passionate kiss. BBC Three's repeat screening secured 174k (7.9%) at the later time of 1.05am.

What is interesting here is that the first Corrie, despite rating apparently on the low side, was only 2% off the magic 40% which is generally the target that only a few Monday episodes get each year, so either the total audience was lower, or the numbers that have switched off Corrie are equally matched by people who have switched off other programmes at the same time.

Regarding the second episode. 34% looks low but the it only rated 0.1m lower than the first one, and the second one hardly ever outrates the first one, so you can't expect much more really. There must have been unusually high numbers switching on to something else at that point, possibly the football on Sky/BT. (By my calculations there were over 2m more people watching TV at 8:30 than an hour earlier)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Andy23 wrote: »
    Pointless works better as a celebrity special though which is why The Chase always seems a bit restricted in its ratings on a Saturday. When celebs are playing against each other on Pointless, it doesn't matter if they are all rubbish as someone will still win even if 3 out of 4 couples gets 200. On The Chase rubbish celebs answering questions which they get wrong doesn't make a great show. Probably also why Celebrity Tipping Point works quite well.

I do agree with that - Chase celebrity specials are in the main cringeworthy but the other 2 work well. I think the ordinary Tipping Point is pretty unwatchable but the celebrity ones do work.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    New series of 'Lewis' starts filming this week, Angela Griffin joins the cast as a DS
  • Options
    Forum Member
    dan2008 wrote: »
    BBC3 EastEnders is off for ONE WEEK ONLY. Which is a pretty big week with 5 episodes (730 & 830 Thurs 27th March)

Wonder why they are taking it off then? An experiment?
  • Options
    dan2008dan2008 Posts: 37,287
    Forum Member
    Wonder why they are taking it off then? An experiment?
    Possibly. Looking at the listings there is room for EastEnders that week even if it airs after 11 or even 1 am (which It has done loads before)
    It's a big week storyline wise and of course we get that 'extra' episode from the Missing one this Friday next Thursday as a Double Bill.

I think it seems like they are seeing where will the BBC 3 repeat viewers go.
    Could they possibly watch LIVE or just record it/I Player or catch the Friday omnibus.

It might be hard for people to realise there is no BBC3 showing all week though because this hasn't happened before.
  • Options
    dave01dave01 Posts: 1,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    Rating of the night.

BBC3's Life and Death Row: 970k (4.2%)
    10pm - Prostitution: What's the Harm? with 715k (4.7%)

Brilliant rating for BBC3 and for the 10pm doc as well. Exactly the sort of young targeting PSB that BBC3 excels at.
    The Michael McIntyre Chat Show dropped 400k to 2m. I thought it would drop more, so that not a bad rating in the circumstances.

A bit worrying, I would hope it can stabilise at 2million or above. It's a fun show if you like Michael McIntyre's style, however there is a fair bit of arse-ing around which may be off-putting to some. I suppose they avoided putting it in the better (for late night) Friday slot to prevent direct comparisons with Graham Norton.
  • Options
    Steve WilliamsSteve Williams Posts: 11,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Finally some good news for Itv, Chelsea are through to the next round of the Champions league. 1 British team out of 5 has made it to the next round of European competition.

In previous years there hasn't always been five British teams at this stage anyway, so ITV have done pretty well to get to the end of March without having to show any all-foreign ties. If Chelsea go out in the next round they will have to show, at the most, three all-foreign ties before the final, if Chelsea win just two, and with Barcelona, Real Madrid and Bayern Munich still involved they won't be wanting for fairly attractive alternatives. So despite what appears to be a poor season for British clubs it's all worked out fairly well for ITV.

As for the Europa League, they can stick that on ITV4 and any ITV1 games there are a bonus, and in recent years they've had to show loads of all-foreign games when C5 had the first choice. And last season Chelsea won it, so they had their money's worth from it then.

Yes, ITV would prefer it if British clubs were in the final of both every year but that's certainly not guaranteed and they knew that when they chose to buy the rights. They don't make decisions based on one season, nor on one round. ITV paid this season for the dozens of matches with British teams they've shown, not the two without.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I dont think ITV will be worried about football ratings now that they have lost all the rights. They need a long term strategy to replace all these football hours. Would be better spending money on that rather than these new channels.
This discussion has been closed.