Options

Disabled vs Parent & Child Parking

Comments

• Options
    MRSgotobedMRSgotobed Posts: 3,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is, but part if that is customers telling them what want. In this case the "privileged" or target shoppers would have to agree to lobby for the supermarkets having a social conscience. They are businesses and will follow what makes commercial sense. That's why all the parents defending their privilege, arguing that they didn't ask for it or saying disagreeing is an attack on parenthood is so disheartening. There is little hope if change until they acknowledge they are privileged and others may need that perk more than them.

I am genuinely dismayed though that people really believe parents are saying this, or demanding this.Many people with children often care for parents, neighbours, elderly grandparents, take them shopping, collect their shopping.I know I would not take a space from someone who needed it, or feel I deserve special treatment because I have kids. Which parents are defending this privilege? The spaces are there, they'll get used, the location is not the parents fault, there aren't many either, so many families will park elsewhere and without even the thought of any privilege or entitlement crossing their minds.Who has been demanding special treatment? It's not true, it's a presumption.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used them for my son when we flew across Canada as we had a changeover at a busy airport, and he was a bit of a handful at the best of times. I don't recall anyone giving me funny looks or tutting, they probably appreciated that my kid was under control and not running riot through the terminal. Lol.

A bit OT but my friend went up to get some food in a cafe the other day, leaving me to look after her very clingy 8 month old who screamed from the moment her mum left. I tried rocking her, feeding her, everything but it wasn't working. One woman in the queue tutted and said to my friend "It's disgusting that parent's can't handle their children, listen to all that noise" and my friend replied with "Well, actually that's my child and she's crying because she's not being held by me. Is that a problem?". The woman very sheepishly told her she was doing a good job and the baby looked lovely. But Jesus, why do people think that parent's are fair game to have a moan at? I think we forget that we all were babies/children at some point. This woman may have been an exception as she acted like she'd started out her early days as pond froth but still... Why do we bug people so much?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blondie X wrote: »
    In a nutshell. If you work, if you don't work, what you feed your kids, where you park - there will always be someone coming down in judgement.

Maybe the best thing for parents is to accept that they're always in the wrong, roll their eyes and just get on with parenting the way they think is right and to hell with those who judge? :)

I've only just started to learn this! Going by your gut is the best course of action and a lot of comments have to be water off a ducks back- which is very hard for me because I bite far too easily.
  • Options
    Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So that they can think they're special and better than everyone else.
  • Options
    Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    True. But you are more likely to be less mobile than a young mum.

Why not have mobility places for those that are less mobile but not legally disabled along with disabled places closest the shop? P&C places could be a section nearby.

This would be far more fair.
  • Options
    yourpointbeing?yourpointbeing? Posts: 3,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    True. But you are more likely to be less mobile than a young mum.

Why not have mobility places for those that are less mobile but not legally disabled along with disabled places closest the shop? P&C places could be a section nearby.

How would ensure that this was not abused by the fit able bodied
  • Options
    kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    Knowing that in doing so inconveniences someone else. And that was my point about going go the front if the queue or taking the best seats.

People were allowed to queue jump in front of other groups. That doesn't mean they weren't dicks for using that privilege. And happily parking at the front of the store whilst some pensioner is looking for the nearest spot is being a dick.

Children are a similar demographic to old people though. They're both small and jobless, both need the toilet a lot and both like to carry around purses full of small change. In that respect then, Parent and Child spaces aren't selfish really.
  • Options
    twingletwingle Posts: 19,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    woodbush wrote: »
    Correct I don't. It didn't happen when we were younger. No supermarkets had child and parent spaces just disabled.

No they didn't have them in my day either but I do wish they had. It is no fun shopping with a fractious toddler or in my case one with a broken leg and in plaster. I didn't have the pleasure of family close by or a husband working from home that I could leave him at home.

But I do agree disabled should be nearer than the mother and children one
  • Options
    What name??What name?? Posts: 26,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MRSgotobed wrote: »
    I am genuinely dismayed though that people really believe parents are saying this, or demanding this....

Which parents are defending this privilege? The spaces are there, they'll get used, the location is not the parents fault, there aren't many either, so many families will park elsewhere and without even the thought of any privilege or entitlement crossing their minds.Who has been demanding special treatment? It's not true, it's a presumption.
    Noooway wrote: »
    It amazes me that people get so upset about people with young'uns being able to park close to the shop. The whole "You've got legs so use them" argument makes me laugh, because if that was their ethos then it shouldn't bother people in the first place.:D

Sometimes I park length ways in the mum and baby section, taking up three spaces, just to show off that my reproductive organs are working and as such I get to park next to the magazine stands.
    Equally those moaning about this perk could also shop on line?

Why do some able bodied, childless people feel so aggrieved by this perk?
    Ramo1234 wrote: »
    Why are you so angry about who gets to park near the store? Or are you just that lazy to walk an extra distance? You can't be blaming parents for this, if you have a problem with it then talk to the supermarket.
    I find it petty and childish that you have to rant over stuff like this.
    It's dreadful that people are being inconvenienced by supermarkets caring for the needs of people and so have to walk a few extra yards.

Whingers, go find somewhere else to shop - it's not compulsory to use them.
    Blondie X wrote: »
    Me neither. Now I no longer need them, I don't give a second thought to them either. I pull up into a parking space, get my shopping done, pay and get back home asap. Unless someone else is causing me a problem personally, I don't even notice what anyone else is doing
    Username_ wrote: »
    People who have difficulty walking any distance yet they're ok to walk around a supermarket??

Re people using disabled badges
    shmisk wrote: »
    For people who get stressed out by supermarket car park arrangements, may I suggest online shopping?

Then you wouldn't need to worry about who parks where
    Are you seriously saying these posts aren't defending a privilege and attacking those who disagree?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How would ensure that this was not abused by the fit able bodied
    How do you ensure that priority seats in transport aren't? Basically you rely on human decency and some social pressure after someone (society) (or the supermarkets in this case) to sets the rules that people generally find reasonable.

That's what I'm debating. What is reasonable. I think disabled people should have priority parking mandated by law and that after that some spaces should be reserved for those with mobility problems. A person with arthritis or a cast needs to be closer to the shop much more than a parent or child. There should be wider spaces (throughout the car park or in one section for parents with children) some nearer and some further away.

That is what I think is fair.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Are you seriously saying these posts aren't defending a privilege and attacking those who disagree?

My post was asking why people are aggrieved, that is a question not an attack.
  • Options
    missy83missy83 Posts: 14,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

ALL supermarket car parking spaces are privileges.
  • Options
    spotty_catspotty_cat Posts: 557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just why the hell should anyone do anything differently just because someone else decided to drop one out?

RIGHT THERE! THAT'S THE WHOLE PROBLEM! BAD ARROGANT SUPERIOR ATTITUDE FROM THE PARENTS BRIGADE.

I don't think other people are the ones with the attitude...(rolls eyes).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How do you ensure that priority seats in transport aren't? Basically you rely on human decency and some social pressure after someone (society) (or the supermarkets in this case) to sets the rules that people generally find reasonable.

That's what I'm debating. What is reasonable. I think disabled people should have priority parking mandated by law and that after that some spaces should be reserved for those with mobility problems. A person with arthritis or a cast needs to be closer to the shop much more than a parent or child. There should be wider spaces (throughout the car park or in one section for parents with children) some nearer and some further away.

I would not disagree but some in this thread seem to resent that there are P&C bays at all regardless of how close they are to the supermarket
  • Options
    sweetpeanutsweetpeanut Posts: 4,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Looks to me like they are saying they dont give a shite and why should anyone be so angry over something like this
  • Options
    Forum Member

The disabled do have priority parking on public car parks and highways, by way of a blue badge system that allows parking in areas and bays designated for them. Supermarket car parks are private property, and they will prioritise based on which customer base they want to target or attract, and will make provision along those lines. If you don't like that principle, vote with your feet and don't shop with them.
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks to me like they are saying they dont give a shite and why should anyone be so angry over something like this

That's certainly what my post was saying :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If I was a planner, I would make supermarkets circular, with the parking bays forming a perimeter around it, so everybody had equal distance to walk. That would send forums into meltdown sure enough.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would not disagree but some in this thread seem to resent that there are P&C bays at all regardless of how close they are to the supermarket

Yes. And some parents are calling anyone who questions the policy bitter and twisted. Obviously there are extremists on both sides.

I'm trying to find what people think is a reasonable compromise and whether they think kids (and young parents) should respect others. I equate this to how I was taught to let adults sit and have priority and these days (some but not all) aren't just not teaching their kids thus as manners but encouraging them to think they should have priority.

Is it any wonder then that people are defending parents and kids having priority over the disabled and pensioners and calling those who question it selfish? They seem to genuinely believe that having kids is as debilitating - others openly say they haven't questioned the ranking of priority groups.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kippeh wrote: »
    If I was a planner, I would make supermarkets circular, with the parking bays forming a perimeter around it, so everybody had equal distance to walk. That would send forums into meltdown sure enough.

Moving walkways would also help. They could be in store as well, that would stop those pesky people blocking aisles chatting to each other
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Which is ironic as they were getting so irate over it. And I wasn't.

The situation doesn't affect be. My kids are grown, I'm a long way from pension age and luckily I have my health. I'm arguing that I should be a lower priority than all the other groups mentioned and was being calked selfish and bitter for it. So who was being attacking and angry?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes, I am seriously saying exactly that.
  • Options
    missy83missy83 Posts: 14,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is it any wonder then that people are defending parents and kids having priority over the disabled and pensioners and calling those who question it selfish? They seem to genuinely believe that having kids is as debilitating - others openly say they haven't questioned the ranking of priority groups.

How are parents with children having priority? Every supermarket I've ever visited has the disabled spaces closer, there are also usually far more disabled parking spaces.

I posted a Google Maps link earlier showing how the spacing is shared out in my local supermarket which illustrates my point.

As for pensioners, as has been stated earlier many pensioners are fit and healthy but if they do need a closer space then there is nothing stopping them using a disabled or parent and child space if they need to.

E2A - the thing I always find slightly amusing about these threads it's that it's never disabled people who moan about Parent and Child spaces, only able-bodied people. If disabled people don't feel aggrieved by them, then why should anyone else?
  • Options
    sweetpeanutsweetpeanut Posts: 4,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes. And some parents are calling anyone who questions the policy bitter and twisted. Obviously there are extremists on both sides.

I'm trying to find what people think is a reasonable compromise and whether they think kids (and young parents) should respect others. I equate this to how I was taught to let adults sit and have priority and these days (some but not all) aren't just not teaching their kids thus as manners but encouraging them to think they should have priority.

I dont have any problems with parents having their own wider spaces. They didn't have them when I had my own children.

I really not getting what your problem is. You are acting like parents are demanding supermarkets put these spaces there, but they are not, they are just using what supermarkets put there for them to use. If you dont like it then go complain to the supermarkets dont pick on parents just because you think they have it better than you at the supermarket.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Which is ironic as they were getting so irate over it. And I wasn't.

The situation doesn't affect be. My kids are grown, I'm a long way from pension age and luckily I have my health. I'm arguing that I should be a lower priority than all the other groups mentioned and was being calked selfish and bitter for it. So who was being attacking and angry?

As usual with these kind of threads, I think the topic in the thread title is masking a different issue for some and being used as a vehicle for another agenda.