Options

Why do people still buy watches?

Comments

• Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I never wore a watch even before I had a phone in my pocket at all times. Never saw the point. Fashion accessory I suppose

But there's more point to taking your phone out of your pocket to see what time it is, rather than having a quick glance at your wrist?

If the watch was reinvented as some wonderful new technologically progressive app to be marketed to the tech junkies people would be on it like a tramp on chips.

What's the point of wearing a hat when you can just take your IPhone out of your pocket and look at a picture of a hat?:D
  • Options
    Slarti BartfastSlarti Bartfast Posts: 6,607
    Forum Member
    bart4858 wrote: »
    All the things I've recounted have happened. And no matter how conveniently located your smartphone is, if your hands are occupied with something else, dirty, etc, then glancing at a watch on your wrist can be much quicker and simpler, and is not going to fall off, get nicked, get left somewhere etc.

Unless you have a contraption that permanently dangles your phone in front of your face (and the screen is always on).

The only thing more convenient than a watch might be a pair of those special glasses with built-in display. But it wouldn't be simpler, or cheaper, and, until made to look like a normal pair of specs, you would probably look more of a 'tool' than someone obsessed with their phone.

I haven't suggested that a phone is more convenient, but I do find it odd that people consider a few extra seconds so inconvenient that it's worth buying a dedicated timepiece.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    DianaFire wrote: »
    If it were easier telling the time on my phone I'd use my phone, not a watch. The watch is much more convenient so I use that.

Fair enough, but as someone (the OP?) suggested, it would also be more convenient to carry round a dedicated calculator too. The very minor convenience that I can see doesn't warrant a separate purchase (IMO).
  • Options
    Brass Drag0nBrass Drag0n Posts: 5,048
    Forum Member
    Hmm, let me see:

pick up phone - press button to "wake" phone up - look at time (this assumes you don't have to unlock it to see the time)

or

look at wrist

Well, I can certainly see why people don't bother with the faff of wearing watches.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 528
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hmm, let me see:

pick up phone - press button to "wake" phone up - look at time (this assumes you don't have to unlock it to see the time)

or

look at wrist

Well, I can certainly see why people don't bother with the faff of wearing watches.

Don't you mean, hoist wrist up to look at the "heavy chunk of metal"? :D What did you have round your wrist Wizard? A sundial?? :o

Baby G all the way for me, love them! :)
  • Options
    RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Wizard wrote: »
    But for the sake of saving myself a whole 2 or 3 seconds it takes to take my phone out and look at it (which I have to carry with me regardless) I have to be inconvenienced twice a day by taking a watch on and off my arm morning and bedtime and also when I shower, wash and get changed and not to mention it's an extra expense that needs to be manually adjusted twice a year to take account of daylight saving. Something which I don't have to do with my phone. Also when the battery dies on a watch (something which often happens without prior notice) you have to do without it until you can take it somewhere to get a replacement battery. If the battery goes flat on my phone I simply recharge it (which is something I have to do anyway). Far more convenient.

All the extra time and inconvenience far outweighs the ease of just taking my phone out and glancing at it but this is just my personal preference.

Are you really saying, that getting the equivalent of a small clock out of your pocket or bag, is EASIER and better than just glancing at your wrist?

That's worse than having a pocket watch you have to open - and at least they were worn at the front with a chain.

It makes no sense at all.

As for the battery - what? My watch battery lasts for years, I have to charge my phone at least every other day.

It's NOT more convenient Wizard, it really isn't.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hmm, let me see:

or

look at wrist

Lol, no you mean:

Raise arm
    Turn wrist
    Lift sleeve
    Focus eyes
    Process image
    Cognise the time

Pah, it's just so long and drawn out when you include all these micro steps isn't it? :D
  • Options
    Cally's mumCally's mum Posts: 4,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    95% of watch wearers have the time on their phone. It's like carrying a calculator with you at all times

I love invented statistics which are used to prove a nebulous point. :D
    What a strange thread. Watches are made to tell the time by simply glancing at it. I cant imagine how anyone can think a phone is a better device for this simple purpose.

Me neither!
    postit wrote: »
    I wear a watch because I find wearing a sundial is very cumbersome

Plus how do you tell the time when you're indoors? Or in a lift? :D
    TerraCanis wrote: »
    What's the time? Reach in pocket for phone... check other pocket for phone... realise phone is in shirt pocket... take phone from pocket... open case... press key... look at time... close case... put phone back in pocket. Simple. Why anyone would go to the bother of glancing at a miniature clock strapped to their wrist escapes me.

Well, if you will go constantly mislaying things ... like phones f'rinstance ..... ;-)

I check mine on the run down to the bus/stop station every day to and from work - because I find it handy to ensure I don't miss my transport! Fumbling with a phone whilst I'm running would be a sure way to trip up or bump into something/someone.

Then again, my phone isn't permanently attached to my ear. In fact, I rarely use it.
  • Options
    radcliffe95radcliffe95 Posts: 4,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've always worn a watch, got loads of cheap ones off ebay.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 528
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why else would you want to spend stupid amounts of money on something that just told the time? But then again I've never ever understood the fascination with jewelry. I've never worn a mans bracelet or chain or anything like that. The only piece of jewelry I wear is my wedding ring and that's because it has some significance but I don't understand why some peoole spend stupid amounts of money on something which is essentially a glittery bit of metal to wear on your arm.

Perhaps it's because I just don't get it. Even if I had all the money in the world I don't think I'd wear jewelry or an expensive watch because I don't see the point in it unless you're wanting to show off to people or unless you have a passion for big expensive shiny metallic things strapped to your person.

My mum can't walk past a jewelry shop without drooling at the expensive rings and watches etc. I just don't see the point in them. I'd rather save the money and spend it on something practical.

Like a watch!! :D
  • Options
    Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't get people who buy stupidly expensive watches. I mean do they tell the time different than any other watch? No course they don't. It's just something to show off with.

Why don't people just admit that expensive watches aren't for telling the time with but a piece of jewelry to show off with. If they really just wanted to know the time then a £5 watch off the market would do the job just the same.

Personally I find these massive lumps of metal that men have strapped to their wrists rather quite clunky and ugly.

You can buy cheap versions of pretty much anything you own, but it is down to personal choice how much you spend on items.

The thread was not about expensive watches though, more about why have one. Most peoples answer is because they do what they are intended to do.
  • Options
    MAWMAW Posts: 38,777
    Forum Member
    Fair enough, but as someone (the OP?) suggested, it would also be more convenient to carry round a dedicated calculator too. The very minor convenience that I can see doesn't warrant a separate purchase (IMO).

For most of us I'd guess it's more habit than anything. And besides, I've had my watch since mobile phones were half a kilo of clunkiness, about 20 years. The Nokia 5810 is long gone, the watch is still with me.
  • Options
    Ted_LeeTed_Lee Posts: 197
    Forum Member
    vic_vil wrote: »
    I dont need a reason to wear my Breitling.

Apart from showing off
  • Options
    bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I have a dedicated calculator too. But rarely need to take it with me. It's always lying around on my desk ready for use. And I have never had to charge it or change the batteries.

The alternatives on my PC would be to run MS calculator which is extremely cumbersome to use, and that's if the PC is even turned on and responsive. As for a tablet, well let's power one up... (long wait from full power off)... OK, Calculator:

Let's see: 1 divided by 3 is 0.33333333, fine; now times that by 3, I get 0.9999999. Minus 1, gives -1e-8. Not good enough I'm afraid; my Casio will do the proper rounding and has done for over thirty years: 1/3 is 0.3333333333. Times 3 is 1. Minus 1 is 0. And with instant response too. There are reasons why some people prefer dedicated gadgets.
  • Options
    Ted_LeeTed_Lee Posts: 197
    Forum Member
    Lol, if getting my phone out to look at the time (or indeed answer it) was that inconvenient and riddled with error I'd just put it in my pocket.

People seem to be trying to outdo each other with their tales of mobile time telling trials and tribulations!

I know :D

I have more respect for posters who say it looks cool on me as a fashion accessory and I like to show it off. But all the tales of how it is so inconvenient to look at the time using their phone is the most ridiculous thing I have read on DS:D

These same people would be quick of the draw to check their facebook, twitter, whatsapp and text messages.
  • Options
    The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are you really saying, that getting the equivalent of a small clock out of your pocket or bag, is EASIER and better than just glancing at your wrist?

That's worse than having a pocket watch you have to open - and at least they were worn at the front with a chain.

It makes no sense at all.

As for the battery - what? My watch battery lasts for years, I have to charge my phone at least every other day.

It's NOT more convenient Wizard, it really isn't.

Ah but you would still have to charge your phone whether you had a watch on or not so it's not an extra inconvenience if your having to do it anyway. You would still carry your phone with you whether you had a watch on or not.

If I've bought a phone and have to charge it and carry it with me anyway then going out and buying a watch to carry around on my arm which does exactly the same thing (and more) seems unnecessary just because it happens to save me an extra couple of extra seconds to get it out of my pocket. I can't say I've ever been in such a hurry that those extra couple of seconds justifies wearing one and spending the extra money on something I already have with me.

Plus the added extra of having to remove it every time I wash or take a shower so that my wrist doesn't get all sweaty and cheesey and when I go to bed and get up. Plus having to manually adjust it twice a year and when the battery dies whereby I have to go out and get someone to fit a new battery then rely on my phone to get the right time to set it by. What's the point when I already have my phone on me at all times anyway?

I'm not a jewelry fanatic and never in such a rush to tell the time that a second or two extra is so much a hardship to take my phone out and look at it that justifies me buying a watch to strap to my arm. It's just an added expense and inconvenience that I don't need.
  • Options
    Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ah but you would still have to charge your phone whether you had a watch on or not so it's not an extra inconvenience if your having to do it anyway. You would still carry your phone with you whether you had a watch on or not.

If I've bought a phone and have to charge it and carry it with me anyway then going out and buying a watch to carry around on my arm which does exactly the same thing (and more) seems unnecessary just because it happens to save me an extra couple of extra seconds to get it out of my pocket. I can't say I've ever been in such a hurry that those extra couple of seconds justifies wearing one.

I don't think the watch manufacturers are going to worry about people with this mindset.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I rarely need to use a calculator. I frequently need to know what time it is.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ted_Lee wrote: »
    I know :D

I have more respect for posters who say it looks cool on me as a fashion accessory and I like to show it off. But all the tales of how it is so inconvenient to look at the time using their phone is the most ridiculous thing I have read on DS:D

These same people would be quick of the draw to check their facebook, twitter, whatsapp and text messages.

It's not ridiculous.
    You put your phone down, and sometimes need to look for it.
    Your watch is always on your wrist.
  • Options
    DianaFireDianaFire Posts: 12,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It isn't a minor convenience. It's a huge one. I don't have to dig around my bag to get out a device that could easily be nicked if I'm outside or on the tube, take it out of its pouch and wake it up just to tell the time. All I've got to do is look at my wrist.

My phone can be very useful but it's crap at giving me the time in a fraction of a second without risk to me of getting mugged or walking into a bus stop because I was too busy checking the screen.
  • Options
    Entropy_NebulaEntropy_Nebula Posts: 538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

If I've bought a phone and have to charge it and carry it with me anyway then going out and buying a watch to carry around on my arm which does exactly the same thing (and more) seems unnecessary just because it happens to save me an extra couple of extra seconds to get it out of my pocket. I can't say I've ever been in such a hurry that those extra couple of seconds justifies wearing one and spending the extra money in something I already have with me.

Plus the added extra of having to remove it every time I wash or take a shower so that my wrist doesn't get all sweaty and cheesey and when I go to bed and get up. Plus having to manually adjust it twice a year and when the battery dies whereby I have to rely on my phone to get the right time to set it by. What's the point when I already have my phone on me at all times anyway?

I'm not a jewelry fanatic and never in such a rush to tell the time that a second or two extra is so much a hardship to take my phone out and look at it that justifies me buying a watch to strap to my arm.

Well this is going to be an awkward one for you to explain away...

I also use my watch whilst I'm jogging/cycling as I record my times to measure my fitness. Carrying around a smartphone (which has a stopwatch) in my shorts is clunky and slows me down, also it isn't waterproof which becomes an issue on these miserable rainy evenings. Compare all that to using the chronograph that's strapped to my arm.....

Go on Wizard do your best, explain how I'm inconveniencing myself using my watch instead of my phone....

My smartphone does many useful things, but it's stupid to assume it's the most efficient and meaningful choice in all situations.
  • Options
    The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think the watch manufacturers are going to worry about people with this mindset.

Correct. They seem to aim their products in the jewelry market so it's more likely that people who buy nice expensive watches are the kind of people who would rather have a fashion statement strapped to their wrists rather than the practicalities of just knowing the time.
  • Options
    Summer BreezeSummer Breeze Posts: 4,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So is it an age thing or what?
  • Options
    NilremNilrem Posts: 6,941
    Forum Member

If I've bought a phone and have to charge it and carry it with me anyway then going out and buying a watch to carry around on my arm which does exactly the same thing (and more) seems unnecessary just because it happens to save me an extra couple of extra seconds to get it out of my pocket. I can't say I've ever been in such a hurry that those extra couple of seconds justifies wearing one and spending the extra money in something I already have with me.

Plus the added extra of having to remove it every time I wash or take a shower so that my wrist doesn't get all sweaty and cheesey and when I go to bed and get up. Plus having to manually adjust it twice a year and when the battery dies whereby I have to rely on my phone to get the right time to set it by. What's the point when I already have my phone on me at all times anyway?

I'm not a jewelry fanatic and never in such a rush to tell the time that a second or two extra is so much a hardship to take my phone out and look at it that justifies me buying a watch to strap to my arm.

Lets see now imagine this scenario.

I'm going away somewhere for a few days, part of that includes travelling and staying in an airport for several hours, and several hours in an aircraft.
    My Smartphone has a battery life, when actually used, for about 5-8 hours.
    After spending a couple of hours in the airport (with no charging facilities), and a few hours on an aircraft (also with no charging facilities), which do you imagine will still be usable.
    My Smartphone with a battery life that makes a mayfly look like it's going to receive a telegram from the queen, or my wrist watch?

This of course completely ignores that fact that it's far easier to turn your wrist and get the time, than to even put your hand in your pocket, pull your hand out with the phone..

I can do a check of my watch in about a second even if I'm carrying something, my phone, at best requires several seconds and me having a hand free.

Not to mention that my wristwatch will still work if I look at it in the pouring rain, whilst some smartphones have a tendency to expire (or at least their moisture indicator strips show water damage), if you have the timerity to use them near your mouth in cold weather, or take them out when it's foggy/misty.
  • Options
    DianaFireDianaFire Posts: 12,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Correct. They seem to aim their products in the jewelry market so it's more likely that people who buy nice expensive watches are the kind of people who would rather have a fashion statement strapped to their wrists rather than the practicalities of just knowing the time.

Or maybe many of those people prefer both.