Options

time to axe pensioners bus passes?

Comments

• Options
    andyknandykn Posts: 66,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People in their 60s are unable to cycle? Young people never get unwell? Please do tell me more?

People over 60 can cycle, my mother does. But not 3 miles to the doctors.

Old people need to go to the doctors much more than young people, this really isn't difficult to understand.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,044
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most wealthy pensioners don't use public transport, they run a car.

Most wealthy pensioners still pay income tax.
  • Options
    MadamfluffMadamfluff Posts: 3,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Statistically boomers are taking out far more than they ever contributed. In case you didn't know boomers were born after the war...

So love we are taking out more then we pay in are we?

Let me tell you a little story I got my future pension statement the other day that told me that as I have worked for 44 years I will get my state pension when I retire in 6 years time, but I have also been told that for every extra year I pay full NI contribution - not a young poor suffering young person, ME I will get an extra £1.75 a week. Now seeing as I pay (and have been for the last 4 years in this job ) £3,000 a year NI and will be paying £3,000 a year NI for the next 6 years if I stay in my job and don't get a pay rise I think its safe to say that I will be paying in more then I am taking out
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 386
    Forum Member
    andykn wrote: »
    And how exactly will removing some pensioners from the service help your friend?

If benefits were given on need.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Madamfluff wrote: »
    So love we are taking out more then we pay in are we?

Let me tell you a little story I got my future pension statement the other day that told me that as I have worked for 44 years I will get my state pension when I retire in 6 years time, but I have also been told that for every extra year I pay full NI contribution - not a young poor suffering young person, ME I will get an extra £1.75 a week. Now seeing as I pay (and have been for the last 4 years in this job ) £3,000 a year NI and will be paying £3,000 a year NI for the next 6 years if I stay in my job and don't get a pay rise I think its safe to say that I will be paying in more then I am taking out

As a generation yes. Baby boomers are known as the most selfish generation ever.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Statistically boomers are taking out far more than they ever contributed. In case you didn't know boomers were born after the war...

By what statistics?
  • Options
    itsy bitsyitsy bitsy Posts: 3,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    The scheme - particularly in London - is completely unsustainable due to demographic changes.

Its buying the votes of today's pensioners - paid for by young taxpayers who won't get the benefit or won't until they are so old it will be too late to be of much benefit. Cos it just isn't affordable long term.

Cos if you are under 45 - you are no way going to have the largesse granted to you that current pensioners get when you retire. Today's pensioners are retiring at 60 - today's young people will be retiring at 80.

Not all of today's pensioners! :( Yesterday's pensioners maybe. There has definitely been a change in the last five or so years. My husband and I have several older friends who retired in their late fifties, got their bus passes at 60 and don't really need or use them that much. Some find it embarrassing because they can afford the fares perfectly well, while others think well, if they're free, they might as well use them.

Several member of my family though, including my hubby, who are hitting 60 around now, will not be able to afford to retire in the foreseeable future and will not be getting bus passes either for a good few years. Most think they will have to continue working until at least 70. Believe me it is a real bone of contention and, having seen many of their parents' generation retire at 60, and enjoy a relatively comfortable lifestyle including free bus passes, they are feeling very hard done by!

Despite this, both my hubby and I think it would be fairer all round if bus passes were means tested regardless of age. We certainly don't think it's fair that all pensioners, including the well-to-do, get them just because they have reached a certain age.

Because, where I live, they are now being linked with the age when you start getting your state pension I won't be getting one for several years though I am now 60, and I use buses a lot. I would not mind in the slightest not having a bus pass though if it means someone of any age, who can't afford the fare, gets to have one. What does rankle a bit though is having to pay full fare, and often being forced to stand, when others, who are clearly physically mobile and just a few years older, are seated whilst having paid nothing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If benefits were given on need.

That's hardly an exact lucid explanation. You friend has a job. If her employer doesn't pay enough to cover her travel and you want pensioners to give up a benefit so her employer can get richer, well, good luck with that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    That's hardly an exact lucid explanation. You friend has a job. If her employer doesn't pay enough to cover her travel and you want pensioners to give up a benefit so her employer can get richer, well, good luck with that.

Its not difficult, but one last time. Bus passes given on need.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As a generation yes. Baby boomers are known as the most selfish generation ever.

Oh don't talk such rot,
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its not difficult, but one last time. Bus passes given on need.

Oh FFS, people with jobs like your friend don't need bus passes. Otherwise you are asking pensioners to give up a benefit to help make your friend's employer richer.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    itsy bitsy wrote: »
    Not all of today's pensioners! :( Yesterday's pensioners maybe. There has definitely been a change in the last five or so years. My husband and I have several older friends who retired in their late fifties, got their bus passes at 60 and don't really need or use them that much. Some find it embarrassing because they can afford the fares perfectly well, while others think well, if they're free, they might as well use them.

Several member of my family though, including my hubby, who are hitting 60 around now, will not be able to afford to retire in the foreseeable future and will not be getting bus passes either for a good few years. Most think they will have to continue working until at least 70. Believe me it is a real bone of contention and, having seen many of their parents' generation retire at 60, and enjoy a relatively comfortable lifestyle including free bus passes, they are feeling very hard done by!

Despite this, both my hubby and I think it would be fairer all round if bus passes were means tested regardless of age. We certainly don't think it's fair that all pensioners, including the well-to-do, get them just because they have reached a certain age.

Because, where I live, they are now being linked with the age when you start getting your state pension I won't be getting one for several years though I am now 60, and I use buses a lot. I would not mind in the slightest not having a bus pass though if it means someone of any age, who can't afford the fare, gets to have one. What does rankle a bit though is having to pay full fare, and often being forced to stand, when others, who are clearly physically mobile and just a few years older, are seated whilst having paid nothing.

My Husband is one of the last to be able to retire at 65 (in fact he was 65 yesterday)
    he was able to get a bus pass at 60 and would have been able to apply for (although we don't need it) pension credit from age 60, I cant get my pension until I am 66, I can't get my bus pass until I am 66 (6 years later then my husband) and I cant claim Pension Credit until I am 66
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Oh FFS, people with jobs like your friend don't need bus passes. Otherwise you are asking pensioners to give up a benefit to help make your friend's employer richer.

Its not about one person, its about need.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    itsy bitsy wrote: »

Exactly means tested. Many people on low wages are in more need of them than many pensioners .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You brought your friend in to it to try and support your argument. I asked how removing this benefit from pensioners would help your friend.

You can't answer.

So how abut another question you can't answer, how much would the means testing, even only for pensioners, cost?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Exactly means tested. Many people on low wages are in more need of them than many pensioners .

NO! It's their rich employers you are then subsidising. Wake up and stop stooging for rich employers.
  • Options
    RecordPlayerRecordPlayer Posts: 22,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes, Pensioners NEED their pass passes. They're not getting younger.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, Pensioners NEED their pass passes. They're not getting younger.

And most of them don't have an employer to give them more money.
  • Options
    RecordPlayerRecordPlayer Posts: 22,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And most of them don't have an employer to give them more money.

Exactly.

When the OP gets older she'll probably be complaining about the young.:p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You know what if my Old Dad got the same type of working age benefits as a lot of low paid younger people get now, he wouldn't have had to work 3 jobs when I was younger.

Mind you I think the old boy just loves to work after all he is 85 years old and still works - oh and STILL pays taxes
  • Options
    angarrackangarrack Posts: 5,493
    Forum Member
    Pensioners who are wealthy and able enough to own a car, as a rule, don't use bus passes, or, if they do, on very rare occasions.

That leaves the infirm and poorer pensioners likely to use bus passes on a regular basis. The intention of the scheme.

Having said that, I'm talking about those living outside the major cities. Then you have to ask yourself how many well-off and fit pensioners choose to live in London when they could live elsewhere. A small proportion is my guess.
  • Options
    gummy mummygummy mummy Posts: 26,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People don't have to reapply.

They just have to apply once get a five year card, a new one is automatically sent out. As its free they did apply as its handy every so often like when dropping the car off for a mot.

Common sense should tell you pensioners do have to reapply to renew them , how can they send you a bus ticket out if you don't. for all bus company's know you could have moved home.
  • Options
    tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member

Your friend is young and working, and i bet in good health, you do know that most the pensioners you are moaning about would have either walked to work or on a push bike. When these pensioners were your age having a car is something they could have only dreamed about if they won the football pools, not now 17 and 18 year old think leave school and i should have a car
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    angarrack wrote: »
    Pensioners who are wealthy and able enough to own a car, as a rule, don't use bus passes, or, if they do, on very rare occasions.

That leaves the infirm and poorer pensioners likely use bus passes on a regular basis.

Having said that, I'm talking about those living outside the major cities. Then you have to ask yourself how many well-off and fit pensioners choose to live in London when they could live elsewhere.

Apparently we all sell our London properties for mega bucks you know the ones we bought for 6p thus depriving young FTBs the chance of getting on the housing ladder

Mind you Hubby and I did sell up in London and move to the Isle of Wight ;-)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Providing pensioners in England with a bus pass cost just over £1 billion about £100 per bus pass. The bus pass is also widely taken up and used by better off pensioners. According to Department of Transport figures pensioner households with an income of £30,000 or more have 66% take up the free bus pass and use it an average of twice a week.