Options

The DS Eurovision General Discussion Thread (Part 55)

Comments

• Options
    Chris MarkChris Mark Posts: 4,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    brb wrote: »
    I did my dissertation on the correlation between bilingualism and intelligence (my degree was in Linguistics and English Literature). I guess I could of done something like looking at the points given between countries with similar languages and why or something (like German speaking countries and The Netherlands/Belgium etc).

English is very closely related to Dutch and German too, also the North Germanic or Scandinavian languages belong to the Germanic family as well. I know for a fact that Denmark used to vote for the UK quite a lot at one time but hardly voted for southern European countries and Ireland used to be the main country that Sweden liked to vote for (even ahead of the other Scandinavian countries) whether this was down to a shared feeling of northern European kinship I don't know.
  • Options
    rosetta12rosetta12 Posts: 4,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As people were talking about their dissertations, mine was on culture-bound translation problems - surely could have fit something Eurovision related in it IF I had been into it at that time (but wasn't) ;)
  • Options
    starrystarry Posts: 12,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chris Mark wrote: »
    English is very closely related to Dutch and German too, also the North Germanic or Scandinavian languages belong to the Germanic family as well. I know for a fact that Denmark used to vote for the UK quite a lot at one time but hardly voted for southern European countries and Ireland used to be the main country that Sweden liked to vote for (even ahead of the other Scandinavian countries) whether this was down to a shared feeling of northern European kinship I don't know.

Britain has had some cultural influence and connections I assume on some surrounding areas, they could actually get British TV in some areas across the sea (and that was before the internet). And English has been taught from a very early age for a while in countries like the Netherlands, Sweden and Denmark, though no doubt the influence of America was a big part of that too.
  • Options
    WilkimaniaWilkimania Posts: 1,615
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I get on my course come the summer then I'm sure I can find a way to link Business and Marketing to Eurovision, although it may be a bit of a push :p;-)
  • Options
    BethnalGreenBethnalGreen Posts: 12,204
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wilkimania wrote: »
    If I get on my course come the summer then I'm sure I can find a way to link Business and Marketing to Eurovision, although it may be a bit of a push :p;-)

How about a study on the use of twitter for marketing lol?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How about a study on the use of twitter for marketing lol?

Well I suppose that's explained my high usage of both this forum and Twitter. I'm just 'researching'.
  • Options
    BethnalGreenBethnalGreen Posts: 12,204
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I suppose that's explained my high usage of both this forum and Twitter. I'm just 'researching'.

Absolutely! :D
  • Options
    Jason CJason C Posts: 31,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EuanDesu wrote: »
    I actually quite like Russia..

Yes!

I'm not the only one who likes it.

In fact, it's my favourite song in this year's Contest.
  • Options
    FiercelyHipFiercelyHip Posts: 3,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

There's actual marketing classes for that these days :D
  • Options
    NightFox_DancerNightFox_Dancer Posts: 14,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jason C wrote: »
    Yes!

I have a guilty pleasure for Russia too, I don't think it will do that well at all but it's cheesy enough to love. :)
  • Options
    Pandora.Pandora. Posts: 21,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes!

I love it too :)
  • Options
    brbbrb Posts: 27,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a guilty pleasure for Russia too, I don't think it will do that well at all but it's cheesy enough to love. :)

I find Russia slightly sinister. I think it's the twins. They scare me.
  • Options
    BBAnneBBAnne Posts: 23,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OGAE Armenia votes in

12 points go to… Sweden
    10 points go to… Hungary
    8 points go to… Greece
    7 points go to… the United Kingdom
    6 points go to… Norway
    5 points go to… Ukraine
    4 points go to… Romania
    3 points go to… Azerbaijan
    2 points go to… Montenegro
    1 point goes to… Germany

Current top three is :

Sweden – 55 points
    Hungary – 27 points
    United Kingdom – 25 points
  • Options
    Lisa.BLisa.B Posts: 57,280
    Forum Member
    Yes!

I guess it has to be somebody's favourite! It's alright, nothing special.
  • Options
    NightFox_DancerNightFox_Dancer Posts: 14,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Prepare to never look at Denmark on the map the same way again, I can never unsee this, ever! :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2L-ZYcqqGds#t=3m52s
  • Options
    Lisa.BLisa.B Posts: 57,280
    Forum Member
    Prepare to never look at Denmark on the map the same way again, I can never unsee this, ever! :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2L-ZYcqqGds#t=3m52s

More like one of those penis fish from the Amazon trying to suck Batman off! :blush::o:D
  • Options
    brbbrb Posts: 27,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBAnne wrote: »
    3 points go to… Azerbaijan

:o:o:o
  • Options
    lewiep93lewiep93 Posts: 5,880
    Forum Member
    Going back to dissertations, I do Media and Cultural Studies at university and I have to write a mini dissertation on popular culture. Eurovision, hello! :D

Oh and I'm getting more and more excited for "Eurovision week" as the days go by :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm almost bored of waiting for Eurovision week to start, I don't even want to know how those going to Copenhagen feel. They must be bouncing off of the walls.
  • Options
    AxGAxG Posts: 25,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :o:o:o

Off with their heads!
  • Options
    QuartzManQuartzMan Posts: 1,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Latvia had so many potential qualifiers in the National Final, why oh why did they have to go for Cake to Bake :(
  • Options
    phill363phill363 Posts: 24,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AxG wrote: »
    Off with their heads!

Armenia did vote for Azerbaijan in 2009, but who could blame them
  • Options
    nunaneynunaney Posts: 1,863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saule riet would have made it to the super final if the jury hadn't killed it. >:( Maybe it could have won it it wasn't for that.

I'm glad they didn't pick Dons because that would have been yet another ballad in a ballad filled semi-final.
  • Options
    rosetta12rosetta12 Posts: 4,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find Russia slightly sinister. I think it's the twins. They scare me.
    Russia is sinister even without the twins... Especially to its neighbours.... :p
    starry wrote: »
    And English has been taught from a very early age for a while in countries like the Netherlands, Sweden and Denmark, though no doubt the influence of America was a big part of that too.
    Applies to Finland as well, and the American part too - to me it's somehow funny that most Finns have an American accent when they speak English ;) Guess that's the tv influence.
  • Options
    FiercelyHipFiercelyHip Posts: 3,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lewiep93 wrote: »
    Going back to dissertations, I do Media and Cultural Studies at university and I have to write a mini dissertation on popular culture. Eurovision, hello! :D

Oh and I'm getting more and more excited for "Eurovision week" as the days go by :D

I can tell just from this essay title that you're a Sunderland uni goer :p
This discussion has been closed.