Options

Deeply unfashionable singers and groups

Comments

• Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Julzei wrote: »
    The Cheeky Girls

LOL I used to love them when I was 13! I had their album and everything :blush::D Still have the CD lying around somewhere.
  • Options
    Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    Uriah Heep - The Rough Guide to Rock, while praising them, also notes they
    were a "crew so lacking in street cred they made Grand Funk Railroad seem
    hip".
  • Options
    Lucy Van PeltLucy Van Pelt Posts: 11,659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chris Rea

Hazell Dean

Marti Webb

Nana Maskouri

Bonnie Tyler (were her and Linda Nolan separated at birth?)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    All the "hair-metal" bands like Warrant, Poison, Whitesnake and Mötley Crüe became
    deeply unfashionable after the arrival of grunge in the 1990s.
  • Options
    Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,866
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its a curious thing about this thread is that most-if not all- of the uncool names are millionaires. So clearly its quite lucrative being unfashionable ;-):D
  • Options
    Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,866
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm surprised! Were any of those songs hits back in the day? :p

Missing from that list is the biggest Nolans hit and wedding disco standard "Im in the Mood for Dancing" (also a number one in Japan where they were hugely successful). All the rest were hits btw.

The Nolans early stuff was rather sweet and innocent as per:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gqnRDnkMTM

and their later chart career was mostly an attempt to get rid of that former image.
  • Options
    mattlambmattlamb Posts: 4,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That group are so bland that they are verging on vile.

What's the situation with E.L.O. at the moment ? They seem to fluctuate between seen as creaky old fart music and being fairly cool.
    I like them at the moment, partly due to realising Jeff Lynn is a good musician.

I really like ELO.
    But yes, they were certainly seen as untrendy a decade or so ago.
    Don't really think that's the case now though
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TrebleKing wrote: »
    Dire Straits, Chris Rea, Chris De Burgh. Grandad music.

Don't think Chris Rea has ever really been seen as untrendy
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Abba were possibly the most unfashionable band of the 1980's. They were considered too mainstream, safe and being former Eurovision contestants didn't help matters. But anything associated with the 70's was the epitome of uncool. (If you were a youngster in the 80's, you had to make sure your drainpipes had no sign of a flare or risk fashion humiliation)

Barry Manilow was similarly uncool due to the 70's link. In the 80's Glenn Madeiros had a huge hit single despite looking a little suspiciously Manilow-esque. Things were going quite well for him until he made the fatal mistake of admitting he was actually an admirer of Manilow - his career immediately bombed!

If the music is good enough, things will turn full circle and younger generations re-evaluate the music without the stigmas of the past.

Other bands to shed their uncoolness in later life: the Stranglers; Fleetwood Mac

Abba were also deeply uncool in the nineties too (in fact, most seventies bands were during that decade). The 1990s looked back to the 60s, and the 70s were deeply mocked then (with few exceptions - eg: Queen, T-Rex). Fleetwood Mac and disco was deeply unpopular then too.
  • Options
    ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    mattlamb wrote: »
    Don't think Chris Rea has ever really been seen as untrendy

You're joking...right? :confused:
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 23,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mattlamb wrote: »
    Abba were also deeply uncool in the nineties too (in fact, most seventies bands were during that decade). The 1990s looked back to the 60s, and the 70s were deeply mocked then (with few exceptions - eg: Queen, T-Rex). Fleetwood Mac and disco was deeply unpopular then too.

That's not how I remember things at all. ABBA Gold was released in 1992 and has hardly left the charts since and Erasure got to number one with their Abbaesque EP in the same year. Muriel's Wedding in 1994 featured their music prominently, Bjorn Again had almost as much success as the real thing, and then Mamma Mia! opened in 1999.

Also flares and other seventies fashion were pretty popular in the nineties, in fact there was a seventies revival for much of the decade which fed into britpop
  • Options
    owl61ukowl61uk Posts: 3,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of my fav bands are very unfashionable despite writing some killer tunes and influencing many other bands. It did not help them when they would not relocate to London from Cardiff in the early 70's, when that was the thing most bands did was move to that London.

Budgie are a treffic band with some amazing song titles
  • Options
    Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Von Trapp wrote: »
    On that note Fish era Marillion were hated in the eighties by music snobs, they were doing Prog in the early eighties. I have been revisiting their work on Youtube recently and with the distance of time some of it is majestic. Look up Garden Party.

My older sister who is a big Genesis fan dismissed Fish as a Peter Gabriel rip off.
    I quite like Marillion.
    I despise Genesis's output since their 1983 album.
  • Options
    via_487via_487 Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paul McCartney
    The Troggs
    ELP
    Slade
    Rick Astley
    Dire Straits
    Chris De Burgh
    Phil Collins
    Nickelback
    Foreigner
    Celine Dion
    Lighthouse Family
    Westlife
  • Options
    Forum Member

Hazell Dean

Miss Dean has a big gay following, so there's one demographic
    where she's still fashionable.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Leo Sayer? I never felt like it would be seen as cool to inform people i have some of his stuff on my ipod :p

I do like some of his darker stuff like 'The Show Must Go On' He's quite good i think but is he fashionable?
  • Options
    Lucy Van PeltLucy Van Pelt Posts: 11,659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    via_487 wrote: »
    Paul McCartney
    The Troggs

Since when were The Troggs uncool???????? :confused:
  • Options
    Joanne MAJoanne MA Posts: 811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mika.

He's still popular on the Continent but last year, when his third album came out he only did one concert in London, in a really small venue. Grace Kelly and Happy Ending were great but he puts out so much twee rubbish - and that annoyingly high voice doesn't help either.
  • Options
    highwayman_nehighwayman_ne Posts: 486
    Forum Member
    You've never known shame until you admit being a Kiss fan :blush:
  • Options
    Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,216
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    owl61uk wrote: »
    One of my fav bands are very unfashionable despite writing some killer tunes and influencing many other bands. It did not help them when they would not relocate to London from Cardiff in the early 70's, when that was the thing most bands did was move to that London.

Budgie are a treffic band with some amazing song titles

I saw Budgie several times in the 1980s, they were great live and, as you say, had some of the greatest song titles in Rock!

If you have any of their original albums they are worth a fortune now as there is a large collector's market for them. I recently saw Never Turn Your Back On Your Friends, in reasonable condition priced at £25.00!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    via_487 wrote: »
    Paul McCartney
    The Troggs
    ELP
    Slade
    Rick Astley
    Dire Straits
    Chris De Burgh
    Phil Collins
    Nickelback
    Foreigner
    Celine Dion
    Lighthouse Family
    Westlife

I would disagree when it comes to Slade. Deeply unfashionable? Really? They were a great band and fondly remembered by most people.

ELP were never "fashionable" but were hugely popular.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My older sister who is a big Genesis fan dismissed Fish as a Peter Gabriel rip off.
    I quite like Marillion.
    I despise Genesis's output since their 1983 album.

I have all Marillion's albums, but personally I prefer the Stege Hogarth era.

As for "fashionable", they have a large and very loyal support. Their fan weekends always sell out and they invented the model many bands now follow of doing everything themselves.

As for Genesis, for me it is their Gabriel-era that I love.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You've never known shame until you admit being a Kiss fan :blush:

To me the only album you need to own by Kiss is Double Platinum, at a push Alive and Alive II.

But live I will see them every time, they always put on a great show. Hopefully they will be touring their "Spider" show in the UK later this year.
  • Options
    Forum Member

ELP were never "fashionable" but were hugely popular.

I remember reading a mid-70s issue of "Fortnight Magazine" * where
    the music writer extolled ELP and Rick Wakeman-era Yes as the
    future of rock music. To someone from the post-punk, post-New Wave era,
    this was on a par with Dick Rowe's infamous
    "...groups with guitars are on their way out."

While there were quite a few Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin and Roxy Music fans in my peer group, everybody tended to snigger if you mentioned ELP or Yes.

*A political magazine in Northern Ireland.
  • Options
    SoundboxSoundbox Posts: 6,250
    Forum Member
    Another mention for the Brotherhood Of Man - just bland music for Nans and Grans.