Options

In It to Win It...BBC1..

Comments

• Options
    iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jammoon1 wrote: »
    This is the first time I've watched this ... not again. They've either picked the biggest eejits around or it's a fix as I wasn't at all convinced with all their dithering. Either way I won't be bothering. Only watched it as there's naff all else on tonight as not a fan of BGT. Moan over!>:(:D

You only have two television channels? You poor thing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Malliday wrote: »
    Oh for God's sake! Ruled the correct one out straight away again.

Trend of the week. That was hilarious.
    Now THAT has to be the stupidest answer yet! 1887 for the execution of Mary, Queen of Scots!! Lordy!

This was hilarious too.
    Come on a BBC gameshow and you don't even know anything about one of the Corporation's recent hits.

Peaky Blinders was not really mainstream and easy to have missed.
    God, these contestants are thick as pig excrement!

It's not like Ukraine has been all over the news for months or anything. WW3 / Cold War Part 2 and this guy is totally oblivious. :o

This programme may have been recorded further back than that.
  • Options
    Hyram FyramHyram Fyram Posts: 3,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a shoddily made programme. Almost shoddy enough for ITV. For example, seeing as it's time specific, and (supposedly) they need to pack in as many questions as possible before the deadline, why not only leave Winton to wheeze his way on aimlessly, and then invite someone to sing far too much of a song??? Farcical. But I don't go with any conspiracy theories - it's actually quite reassuring to think that genuinely bright people wouldn't be seen dead applying for such a woeful show. So what you're left with is what you see. Thick-skinned, thick-headed idiots.
  • Options
    CarlLewisCarlLewis Posts: 6,236
    Forum Member
    mrbernay wrote: »
    Now we have a woman singing (rolleyes)

I had to mute that.
    A boy sang on Blockbusters in 1983. I was so traumatised by the embarrassment that, to this day, I can't face contestants singing.
  • Options
    Jejade05Jejade05 Posts: 210
    Forum Member
    I've just made a complaint to the BBC about this show and referred them to this website to see what the general public think about it.
  • Options
    000Mark000000Mark000 Posts: 422
    Forum Member
    mrbernay wrote: »
    It's Las Ramblas......

Officially, it's La Rambla. It is made up of what may be considered shorter streets, from north to south:
    Rambla de Canaletes
    Rambla dels Estudis
    Rambla de Sant Josep
    Rambla dels Caputxins
    Rambla de Santa Mònica
    and consequently it is sometimes referred to in the plural, Las Ramblas.
  • Options
    HHGTTGHHGTTG Posts: 5,941
    Forum Member
    000Mark000 wrote: »
    Officially, it's La Rambla. It is made up of what may be considered shorter streets, from north to south:
    Rambla de Canaletes
    Rambla dels Estudis
    Rambla de Sant Josep
    Rambla dels Caputxins
    Rambla de Santa Mònica
    and consequently it is sometimes referred to in the plural, Las Ramblas.

Thank you, Brain of Britain. ;-). You should be on IITWI.
  • Options
    Gary HallidayGary Halliday Posts: 875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a shoddily made programme. Almost shoddy enough for ITV. For example, seeing as it's time specific, and (supposedly) they need to pack in as many questions as possible before the deadline, why not only leave Winton to wheeze his way on aimlessly, and then invite someone to sing far too much of a song??? Farcical. But I don't go with any conspiracy theories - it's actually quite reassuring to think that genuinely bright people wouldn't be seen dead applying for such a woeful show. So what you're left with is what you see. Thick-skinned, thick-headed idiots.

It is not time specific, the maximum prize is £100,000 (20 correct answers). Every wrong answer loses £5,000 from the potential pot.
  • Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    HHGTTG wrote: »
    Thank you, Brain of Britain. ;-). You should be on IITWI.

He's not stupid enough.
  • Options
    grauniadgrauniad Posts: 7,961
    Forum Member
    CarlLewis wrote: »
    I had to mute that.
    A boy sang on Blockbusters in 1983. I was so traumatised by the embarrassment that, to this day, I can't face contestants singing.

Just as well there were a lot of wrong answers. If they had more time, she might have done a full set.
  • Options
    jammoon1jammoon1 Posts: 476
    Forum Member
    iaindb wrote: »
    You only have two television channels? You poor thing.

Nothing I fancied on any of the channels much so this was the last resort - very last as it turned out - and I'd already watched a recorded film earlier - Troll Hunter - which wasn't much better. Rotten night's viewing ... for me anyway.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jejade05 wrote: »
    I've just made a complaint to the BBC about this show and referred them to this website to see what the general public think about it.

That'll show 'em.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is not time specific, the maximum prize is £100,000 (20 correct answers). Every wrong answer loses £5,000 from the potential pot.

It is time specific, otherwise you'd still be watching the wretched thing.
  • Options
    human naturehuman nature Posts: 13,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can you tell us what exactly you said in your complaint to the BBC?
  • Options
    Jejade05Jejade05 Posts: 210
    Forum Member
    I said that the show was a shambles. It used to be much better and the winnings were much higher a while ago. Dale pads the show out a lot (perhaps he is told to waste time). I told them that as it's the last in the series next week, the general consensus of opinion on this website is that is should be axed. They have just replied and are looking into it. They will get back to me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is time specific, otherwise you'd still be watching the wretched thing.

It's edited so that the klaxon goes 30 minutes after the programme starts. Just add-in or take-out bits of chit-chat to fit.
  • Options
    LordBobbinLordBobbin Posts: 359
    Forum Member
    I said that the show was a shambles. It used to be much better and the winnings were much higher a while ago. Dale pads the show out a lot (perhaps he is told to waste time). I told them that as it's the last in the series next week, the general consensus of opinion on this website is that is should be axed. They have just replied and are looking into it. They will get back to me.

That's such total tosh. My family and I have always laughed at this programme and the stupid people who go on it. The quality of the contestants is no better or worse than it's always been.

And Dale has *always* waffled. Again, it's no different now.

It's actually quite nice, in a way, to see a normal gameshow where the contestants aren't people who spend most of their evenings lost in a quiz book. This sums up the typical knowledge of normal people. Most of them aren't very interested in history, literature, science etc.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Oh, and for the record, I enjoy the show, so I certainly don't want it axed. Speak for yourself, thanks.
  • Options
    BROXI BEARBROXI BEAR Posts: 9,279
    Forum Member
    LordBobbin wrote: »
    Oh, and for the record, I enjoy the show, so I certainly don't want it axed. Speak for yourself, thanks.

Agreed. It is not any different than before. I really don't know what people are seeing :confused:
  • Options
    Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched last night's program away from the computer, thankfully. A bigger collection of thicko's would have been hard to find.
    I'm sure Dale prodded the bloke in the back who won the money. (Not like that missus)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I watched last night's program away from the computer, thankfully. A bigger collection of thicko's would have been hard to find.
    I'm sure Dale prodded the bloke in the back who won the money. (Not like that missus)

Where exactly does Dale prod the guy in the back?? I've just had a look back at it on iPlayer, and Dale never gets even close to making contact with him. Nor does the chap seem to be taking cues from somebody in the audience - as somebody else here suggests. He glances at somebody to his right after he's answered, and seems to grin at them afterwards, but that could easily just have been somebody in the audience giving him a thumbs up or something...

If that really was a conspiracy, they would probably have made it look rather smoother than that.. Or maybe they would simply have given him an easy question, such as asking him about somebody from Tudor history and then making two of the three answers quite obviously wrong.... I mean, how could anyone go astray there... :blush:
  • Options
    grauniadgrauniad Posts: 7,961
    Forum Member
    I can imagine a question next week. ' When did WW2 end? 1845, 1945, or 2045?'.
    ' Well, I don't think it was 2045, but, oh, I'm not sure...'.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's such total tosh. My family and I have always laughed at this programme and the stupid people who go on it. The quality of the contestants is no better or worse than it's always been.

And Dale has *always* waffled. Again, it's no different now.

It's actually quite nice, in a way, to see a normal gameshow where the contestants aren't people who spend most of their evenings lost in a quiz book. This sums up the typical knowledge of normal people. Most of them aren't very interested in history, literature, science etc.

Totally agree with the first two paragraphs.

Disagree with the third paragraph. People should be picking up bits of general knowledge just through being alive. I would have thought people who apply to be on this are fans of quiz shows and should pick up bits of knowledge from that....
    Or maybe they would simply have given him an easy question, such as asking him about somebody from Tudor history and then making two of the three answers quite obviously wrong.... I mean, how could anyone go astray there... :blush:

....and they certainly should have enough knowledge not to say that Mary, Queen of Scots was executed in 1887. You've never heard of Queen Victoria? You don't know she was the monarch for most of the 1800s? You think it was she who executed Mary, Queen of Scots?:o
  • Options
    JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This sums up the typical knowledge of normal people

If that's true, there isn't much hope for this country! :o
  • Options
    HHGTTGHHGTTG Posts: 5,941
    Forum Member
    JeffG1 wrote: »
    If that's true, there isn't much hope for this country! :o

Well, personally I am shocked by the lack of general knowledge of those around myself.