Options

EastEnders - everyone agree Aleks is a great character?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Broken_ArrowBroken_Arrow Posts: 10,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    _elly001 wrote: »
    Definitely. One of the very few genuinely charismatic, self-assured male characters on the show now that David has left - the other two being Mick and Charlie (when he's actually in it.)

He's actually got a touch of the Steve Owen about him, IMO.

A rare breed in EastEnders these days and something the writing room should take a long hard look at. I'm not sure I agree about Mick. He lets his sisters walk all over him.
  • Options
    valdvald Posts: 46,057
    Forum Member
    A rare breed in EastEnders these days and something the writing room should take a long hard look at. I'm not sure I agree about Mick. He lets his sisters walk all over him.

But that's from choice. If he wanted to he could get the better of anyone in the square, including Phil. He's a man who chooses his battles carefully...I like that.

IMO Mick, Charlie and Aleks should be the new guard...out with Phil, Max and Ian (not literally).
  • Options
    Chris MarkChris Mark Posts: 4,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vald wrote: »
    But that's from choice. If he wanted to he could get the better of anyone in the square, including Phil. He's a man who chooses his battles carefully...I like that.

IMO Mick, Charlie and Aleks should be the new guard...out with Phil, Max and Ian (not literally).

Except Ronnie, she's The Bride and she'd take Mick down no problem.
  • Options
    _elly001_elly001 Posts: 11,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    iMatt_101 wrote: »
    You are joking with Charlie right? He's had about 20 minutes of screen time overall and he barely speaks

I'm not joking in the slightest. Charlie commands the screen when he's on it. You either have that quality or you don't, and the amount of screen time you have makes no difference; in fact there's an argument that the less you're on screen, the more likely the viewer is to notice it.

Of course it's purely subjective but IMO the three I mentioned, as well as David Wicks, are a different breed to the other male characters on the show.

I do agree that Mick has an element of pushover about him, but it's always on his terms and I have no doubt that if he needed to stand his ground he would.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

In full agreement. Phil, Ian and Max have a time and a place but the show also needs to be investing in strong male characters who can last the distance, and Mick, Charlie and Aleks are the way forward.
  • Options
    Broken_ArrowBroken_Arrow Posts: 10,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree with you both that Mick could stand up to his sisters if he wanted. I hope he does eventually tell them to take a hike because they've taken the piss so far to be quite honest.

Mick, Charlie and Aleks are the type of male characters the shows needs for balance. The female characters are too dominant over the males. Sadly I can't see Mick, Charlie and Aleks being in the show long enough to change the status quo.
  • Options
    londongirlGrelondongirlGre Posts: 23,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like him, especially with Roxy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree with you both that Mick could stand up to his sisters if he wanted. I hope he does eventually tell them to take a hike because they've taken the piss so far to be quite honest.

Mick, Charlie and Aleks are the type of male characters the shows needs for balance. The female characters are too dominant over the males. Sadly I can't see Mick, Charlie and Aleks being in the show long enough to change the status quo.

It's a fine line that Mick walks. I think he gives the women in his life enough credit to know that they can fight their own battles, but sometimes that does come across as passiveness. It's not just Shirley and Tina he's done it with, however. He hardly got involved when Linda was at her worst regarding Johnny's sexuality when he first came out, and equally he didn't really get involved with their recent bust-up (apart from to tell Johnny to get out of his sight.) And nine times out of ten that strategy probably works for him; there are so many strong forces within his family that he would be firefighting every five minutes if he always got involved. I think there will come a time when he really stands to Shirley, for the right reasons, and that will be a turning point for both of them.

I also fear that those three won't be around long enough to make a difference, particularly Charlie and Aleks, but I hope we're all wrong and that they eventually find a permanent place within the show.
  • Options
    valdvald Posts: 46,057
    Forum Member

I hope TPTB can see their potential and persuade them to stay by making them the male leads. I don't want to be watching the likes of Phil and Max bedding their umpteenth woman in five years time. I want to see men with strength and charisma, ones where I can see and understand the appeal.

They say that EE doesn't do comedy, but when they have women fighting over the likes of Phil, Ian and Alfie I laugh my socks off.:p
  • Options
    broadshoulderbroadshoulder Posts: 18,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope TPTB can see their potential and persuade them to stay by making them the male leads. I don't want to be watching the likes of Phil and Max bedding their umpteenth woman in five years time. I want to see men with strength and charisma, ones where I can see and understand the appeal.

They say that EE doesn't do comedy, but when they have women fighting over the likes of Phil, Ian and Alfie I laugh my socks off.:p

To be honest the writing nowadays is mainly for females, look at Emers writing last night for Aleks/Roxy. Riddled with chick-lit cliches

Aleks etc must be written differently for them to succeed.
  • Options
    shrinkingvioletshrinkingviolet Posts: 3,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love Aleks - he's generally the best part of each episode he's in. It's nice to have an actual multi-dimensional character. Wasn't a massive fan of Roxy's ~revenge on him last night, but hopeful we'll see more of them. I'm not a Roxy fan but Aleks made her bearable.
  • Options
    ScrabblerScrabbler Posts: 51,348
    Forum Member
    He is a good character granted but he has not made a huge impression on me yet. He and Roxy do work well together though. I think he was brought in specially for her like Charlie was made for Ronnie.
  • Options
    lloys-strachanlloys-strachan Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *Elle*90 wrote: »
    You're all seeing something I am apparently blind to.

I can't take the character seriously - everything about him seems like a joke to me. I think it's a shame when they could have cast a really interesting Eastern European character.

I'll keep my mind open I guess.

He needs a hair cut and some acting lessons.
  • Options
    abbottababbottab Posts: 1,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think he's one of those characters that were created and didn't have much use. Market inspector who was abit nasty towards the Masood son. Now, I think they are wanting to 'interest him up abit' and created this new side to the character. Can't see him lasting though.