Options

tecso selling american brands....

Comments

• Options
    Dr.PhloxDr.Phlox Posts: 2,651
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mythica wrote: »
    Don't mean to be rude but why are you quoting me?

I was typing my response a lot earlier, but went away from the keyboard, then submitted my reply without refreshing.

Total fluke :)
  • Options
    Brass Drag0nBrass Drag0n Posts: 5,046
    Forum Member
    I asked where the evidence of this was, not another statement.

Because of some US legislation that bulked up import duties on sugar, pretty much all modern soft drinks (Coke/Pepsi) are made with High Fructose Corn Syrup - basically its a cheap replacement for sugar, that co-incidently boosted the US corn growers profits. Anyone care to bet where the pressure for the original import duty hike came from?

The retro or throwback soft drinks use "real" cane sugar.

HFCS has been in soft drinks and other foods for around 30 years - obesity levels have been rising for around 30 years now. Please note - large sections of the US food industry will throw lawyers and "scientific" research at you if you attempt to suggest a link.

And for those that didn't spot it last time Hershey's chocolate is made from sour milk, that's why it tastes funny.
  • Options
    MythicaMythica Posts: 3,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because of some US legislation that bulked up import duties on sugar, pretty much all modern soft drinks (Coke/Pepsi) are made with High Fructose Corn Syrup - basically its a cheap replacement for sugar, that co-incidently boosted the US corn growers profits. Anyone care to bet where the pressure for the original import duty hike came from?

The retro or throwback soft drinks use "real" cane sugar.

HFCS has been in soft drinks and other foods for around 30 years - obesity levels have been rising for around 30 years now. Please note - large sections of the US food industry will throw lawyers and "scientific" research at you if you attempt to suggest a link.

And for those that didn't spot it last time Hershey's chocolate is made from sour milk, that's why it tastes funny.

Without trying to be rude again, what is up with people in this thread and not being able to read?

Reread the thread again. I stated that UK drinks were made with real sugar (like Pepsi Throwback) when someone stated that the health nutters over here would have a field day because it says made with real sugar on the cans of US drinks like Pepsi Throwback. The an argument broke out when someone stated UK drinks aren't made with real sugar and I asked for evidence of this. Funnily enough he obviously can't find any as he has replied to me since but with no evidence.

I really don't understand why you quoted me to reply to me and then not give any of the information I asked for.
  • Options
    Dr.PhloxDr.Phlox Posts: 2,651
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just to p*ss off the anti-soda brigade - we're also getting "Coke Life" in the UK later this year. And guess what? It's "real sugar" again, just not as much.

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2014-06-17/cokes-new-low-cal-low-sugar-soda-is-designed-to-quiet-critics

Interestingly, there was a variety of Coke sold (mainly East Coast US, I believe) that was known colloquially as "Kosher Coke" It was the same tin design but with a yellow top which indicated it was made with cane sugar rather than HFCS and therefore "Jew Friendly". It was also usually only available around the High Holidays, mainly Passover:

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/story?id=7292914

So the US has had "Real Sugar" Coke all along, it's just that you needed to ask for something slightly different.
  • Options
    PrincessTTPrincessTT Posts: 4,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    epicurian wrote: »
    Of course it is.

By 'real sugar' I'm referring to cane sugar (as that was the terminology being used at the start of the conversation a few pages ago)... HFCS is not cane sugar, it's corn syrup made from processed corn starch but with enzymes added to convert much of the glucose into fructose.

It's a vile substance and the production of it in the EU is rightly (IMO) restricted.
  • Options
    Hobbes1966Hobbes1966 Posts: 5,371
    Forum Member
    Inkblot wrote: »
    Isn't Costa British?

Yes it is. It was founded in London in 1971.
  • Options
    Hobbes1966Hobbes1966 Posts: 5,371
    Forum Member
    I would love to help some of you out at cost by sending you some of the food as I am in Canada and a lot of it is here but it just isn't worth it cost wise due to Canada Post being one of the most expensive mail services in the world.

That's a shame as my daughter went to Canada last year and has spent the remaining year trying to get her hands on Tim Hortons drinking chocolate, which she fell in love with.
  • Options
    frangipanefrangipane Posts: 930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MTUK1 wrote: »
    Oh geez. Is it that hard? Pepsi Throwback is made with natural sugar direct from the plant. Most soft drinks are made from the refined sugar which is akin to the stuff you find in a packet of sugar which is what causes obesity.
    All of the sugars you mention here are sucrose (as opposed to some form of glucose/fructose with sucrose), so they are all the same, all refined, not scraped directly off the cane into the mixture, and all come in packets, probably very big ones, And then there is HFCS.

The obesity problem is also caused by the amounts that are consumed, these have risen in the last 30 odd years because of the increased presence and popularity of fast food (McDs etc.). 40 years ago people weren't guzzling litres of the stuff.
  • Options
    MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    frangipane wrote: »
    All of the sugars you mention here are sucrose (as opposed to some form of glucose/fructose with sucrose), so they are all the same, all refined, not scraped directly off the cane into the mixture, and all come in packets, probably very big ones, And then there is HFCS.

The obesity problem is also caused by the amounts that are consumed, these have risen in the last 30 odd years because of the increased presence and popularity of fast food (McDs etc.). 40 years ago people weren't guzzling litres of the stuff.

No, they were guzzling fluid ounces and pints lol.
  • Options
    MythicaMythica Posts: 3,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, they were guzzling fluid ounces and pints lol.

Ahhh you're back. Have you got that evidence yet?
  • Options
    IcaraaIcaraa Posts: 6,079
    Forum Member
    But back on topic Tesco do seem to have ramped this up in the last couple of months. Maybe they see it as a bit of a unique selling point. Lots of their shops round here have a decent American import section.

The Tesco Extra has a good selection that changes every week. It appears to be on some kind of rotation which keeps it interesting. They've got a cheaper version of Lucky Charms called Marshmallow Mateys for £2. Very nice.
  • Options
    epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PrincessTT wrote: »
    By 'real sugar' I'm referring to cane sugar (as that was the terminology being used at the start of the conversation a few pages ago)... HFCS is not cane sugar, it's corn syrup made from processed corn starch but with enzymes added to convert much of the glucose into fructose.

It's a vile substance and the production of it in the EU is rightly (IMO) restricted.

It's still sugar. Trying to pass off one form of sugar as being inherently worse than another is absurd, which is the whole rational behind the 'real sugar' label.

Why is it vile?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's still sugar. Trying to pass off one form of sugar as being inherently worse than another is absurd, which is the whole rational behind the 'real sugar' label.

Why is it vile?

Yes it's still a form of sugar, but it's not cane sugar which is what was being discussed as 'real sugar'. Even the British Soft Drinks Association say that it can used as an alternative to sugar.

It's vile because it tastes disgusting... I'm not a massive fan of drinks made with 'real sugar' anyway (pepsi max, coke zero & Dr Pepper zero all taste much nicer than their sugary counterparts IMO) but I can't stomach the taste of drinks made with HFCS.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes it's still a form of sugar, but it's not cane sugar which is what was being discussed as 'real sugar'. Even the British Soft Drinks Association say that it can used as an alternative to sugar.

It's vile because it tastes disgusting... I'm not a massive fan of drinks made with 'real sugar' anyway (pepsi max, coke zero & Dr Pepper zero all taste much nicer than their sugary counterparts IMO) but I can't stomach the taste of drinks made with HFCS.

It's not cane sugar, but it's still real sugar, which you said it was not, by any stretch of the imagination.

I'm genuinely surprised there's such a huge difference in taste between the fructose and glucose from a sugar beet, compared to the fructose and glucose in HFCS, as they are very nearly chemically and scientifically identical to each other. I can believe there is some difference in taste, but vile?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not cane sugar, but it's still real sugar, which you said it was not, by any stretch of the imagination.

I'm genuinely surprised there's such a huge difference in taste between the fructose and glucose from a sugar beet, compared to the fructose and glucose in HFCS, as they are very nearly chemically and scientifically identical to each other. I can believe there is some difference in taste, but vile?

To me it's not real sugar by any stretch of the imagination... When I refer to sugar or real sugar I'm talking about sucrose from sugar cane, HFCS is a nasty imitation.

As I said, I don't like the taste of soft drinks made with sugar anyway. So while they are nasty, drinks made with HFCS are just that little bit worse which puts them in the vile category.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Why is it vile?

Are you saying natural sugar in fruit is as bad for you as refined sugar in chocolate and fizzy drinks. That isn't the case.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ahhh you're back. Have you got that evidence yet?

Have you cheered up yet? Miserable sod.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To me it's not real sugar by any stretch of the imagination... When I refer to sugar or real sugar I'm talking about sucrose from sugar cane, HFCS is a nasty imitation.

As I said, I don't like the taste of soft drinks made with sugar anyway. So while they are nasty, drinks made with HFCS are just that little bit worse which puts them in the vile category.

Ok, thanks for the reply.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are you saying natural sugar in fruit is as bad for you as refined sugar in chocolate and fizzy drinks. That isn't the case.

I'm saying sugar is sugar. But as a piece of fruit is lower in calories, and contains fiber and vitamins, then it is definitely better for you than fizzy drinks and chocolate.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm saying sugar is sugar. But as a piece of fruit is lower in calories, and contains fiber and vitamins, then it is definitely better for you than fizzy drinks and chocolate.

I have to disagree with you that fruit sugar is as bad for you as processed sugar. But I agree with everything else.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

This I will agree on... Sugar in fruit isn't good for you but fruit has other things in it that make it good for you., whereas sugar is just one of the things in junk food that's bad for you.

I think some people are disillusioned when it comes to the sugar in fruit (and fruit juices) and recognising that it's still not good for you... The sugar content is one of the mains reasons why fruit juice doesn't count as more than one portion of your 5-a-day no matter how much you drink and why it's often recommended to snack on vegetables rather than fruit.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have to disagree with you that fruit sugar is as bad for you as processed sugar. But I agree with everything else.

Why do you disagree?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This I will agree on... Sugar in fruit isn't good for you but fruit has other things in it that make it good for you., whereas sugar is just one of the things in junk food that's bad for you.

I think some people are disillusioned when it comes to the sugar in fruit (and fruit juices) and recognising that it's still not good for you... The sugar content is one of the mains reasons why fruit juice doesn't count as more than one portion of your 5-a-day no matter how much you drink and why it's often recommended to snack on vegetables rather than fruit.

I have to completely disagree with you. There is a very good article about it here.

http://authoritynutrition.com/is-fruit-good-or-bad-for-your-health/
  • Options
    Paradise_LostParadise_Lost Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member

That has nothing to do with health concerns. It has to with production quotas. Pure economics. Nothing to do with the public interest. There is no scientific evidence to support the claim that HFCS is unhealthier than any other kind of sugar. The body metabolises it the same as sucrose. Increased obesity has to do with the increased consumption of sugar and food in general. As well as lifestyle.

HFCS has received publicity, at least initially, because in the US they were placing it in many products, beyond the typical sweets and sugary items. And also there was concern about the levels in some foods and sweets. Nothing to do with it being more harmful than the sugar in our food...and remember all sugar is processed, including sucrose. To pretend that sucrose is some sort of "pure" authentic and healthier version is patently false. The types of processing of sugar in various parts of the world are decided purely based on what is cheapest in those markets. It's the quantity of the sugar that is the problem not the type of sugar.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why do you disagree?

Does anyone become overweight from eating a diet full of fruit? No. Do they become overweight from eating candy and soda? Yes they do.