Options

What is so wrong about driving in the middle lane at 70mph

Comments

• Options
    muntamunta Posts: 18,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tealady wrote: »
    Or worse stick in L3 of a four (or rarely five) lane M25.

I've seen, on a couple of occasions, people drive at 70 in the right hand lane when the rest of the motorway is pretty empty. And despite their being traffic behind them they refused to move.
  • Options
    TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kiko H Fan wrote: »
    Yes, I know what the NSL sign means. It means "national speed limit applies".
    That's not 70mph, but its not 40mph either.

I'll try this evening to see if I can get to 70mph along it's 1.2 mile stretch.

So is this 1.2 mile stretch one lane or two?
  • Options
    jjnejjne Posts: 6,580
    Forum Member
    Deacon1972 wrote: »
    The National Speed Limit = 60mph on single carriageways, not 70mph.

Where was it stated that the road was a single carriageway through the '70mph' sections?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jjne wrote: »
    Where was it stated that the road was a single carriageway through the '70mph' sections?

The same place it was stated it was a dual-carriageway, hence my question above.
  • Options
    Deacon1972Deacon1972 Posts: 8,171
    Forum Member
    But it's still not 40mph.

It will be for goods vehicles over 7.5 tonnes (Max laden weight) :p
  • Options
    Forum Member

Countryside and village was mentioned so it was an educated guess.
  • Options
    Wallasey SaintWallasey Saint Posts: 7,636
    Forum Member
    Jefferson wrote: »
    For any length of time on motorways. If people want to drive at 80mph, 90mph, 100mph, there is a dedicated OVERTAKING LANE for the purpose of overtaking. So use the bleedin' thing!

And don't expect those doing 70mph (the speed limit) to keep hopping into the slow lane behind lorries doing 25mph, and then having to negotiate their way back into the middle lane 30 seconds later.

I can't understand all those people, like Bill Turnbull just on Room 101, complaining about people driving at 70 feeling comfortable and safe in the middle lane, not having to weave in and out. If he likes weaving in and out and exceeding te speed limit, why not use the OVERTAKING lane.

But yet again not one of the "bright people" on the show mentioned this.

What utter nonsense there is not one dedicated overtaking lane but 2 overtaking lanes on a 3 lane motorway, all lanes are 70MPH, the highway code law 264 always drive in the left hand lane unless you'e overtaking slower moving vehicles. It's people like you who need to retake their driving test especially take a motorway driving test.
  • Options
    Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    Deacon1972 wrote: »
    It will be for goods vehicles over 7.5 tonnes (Max laden weight) :p

There's 2 of them in the morning and they tank it across there. Well, maybe they're not quite 7.5 tonne, but they're pretty damned big and delivering animal feed.
  • Options
    Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    So is this 1.2 mile stretch one lane or two?

One, it's a B road. Comes up from a 30mph suburb over common land then back into a 30mph stretch by the old peoples complex and the private school. Even that last stretch used to be NSL.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One, it's a B road. Comes up from a 30mph suburb over common land then back into a 30mph stretch by the old peoples complex and the private school. Even that last stretch used to be NSL.

So it's a single carriageway road which has a maximum 60mph limit yet you keep on referring to it as a 70mph road and bemoan the fact that some people don't drive at the correct speed, even though YOU don't drive at the correct speed nor know what the correct speed even is.
    I see this EVERY DAY on a 70mph road by me. Up the hill at 30mph, the road then opens out to countryside for 1.2 miles, at 70mph, then enters the village at 30mph.

I get stuck behind people doing 40mph on the 70mph bit, then they continue along the 30mph bit into the village, still at 40mph.

I do wonder if some drivers actually know what the white circular sign with a black stripe diagonally across it from right to left means.
    Some drivers being Kiko H Fan then?

I love a good chuckle; thanks for supplying today's :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    So it's a single carriageway road which has a maximum 60mph limit yet you keep on referring to it as a 70mph road and bemoan the fact that some people don't drive at the correct speed, even though YOU don't drive at the correct speed nor know what the correct speed is.

Some drivers being Kiko H Fan then?

I love a good chuckle; thanks for supplying today's :)

Has to be said though that 40 in a 30, through villages, is more dangerous than 70 in a 60.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has to be said though that 40 in a 30, through villages, is more dangerous than 70 in a 60.

Not always. It may be a political 30 or it may be a very clear and wide road. In comparison, 60s can be very narrow with poor visibility, high hedges and lots of tight bends. You would be pushing it to drive 30 on roads like that let alone 60 or 70.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    There's 2 of them in the morning and they tank it across there. Well, maybe they're not quite 7.5 tonne, but they're pretty damned big and delivering animal feed.
    Goods vehicles over 3.5tonnes GVW should be limited to 56mph, applies to vehicles used on or after 1st Jan 2002, NSL is 50mph for these types of vehicles.

Saying that, they could be registered as farm vehicles I know the regulations are different, I know they are exempt from tacos, maybe limiters too, which is why they tank it across.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I understand what you're saying but it really does depend on the individual road conditions.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    munta wrote: »
    Not always. It may be a political 30 or it may be a very clear and wide road. In comparison, 60s can be very narrow with poor visibility, high hedges and lots of tight bends. You would be pushing it to drive 30 on roads like that let alone 60 or 70.

I did say "through villages" though.

I accept what you are saying about some 30 limits (especially in some industrial estates, for example), although I don't necessarily agree. I certainly agree regarding twisting 60-limit roads -- there are a few single lane ones near our village where in places I'm down to 10mph or less.

Charging through villages, possibly near to schools at 33% over the posted limit though is thoroughly unacceptable, and the punishments for such actions are completely inadequate in such cases.
  • Options
    brewer480brewer480 Posts: 1,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did say "through villages" though.

I accept what you are saying about some 30 limits (especially in some industrial estates, for example), although I don't necessarily agree. I certainly agree regarding twisting 60-limit roads -- there are a few single lane ones near our village where in places I'm down to 10mph or less.

Charging through villages, possibly near to schools at 33% over the posted limit though is thoroughly unacceptable, and the punishments for such actions are completely inadequate in such cases.

I feel we have really gone askew with this conversation, isn't this thread supposed to be about middle lane hogging on a motorway, not about going through villages at 40?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    brewer480 wrote: »
    I feel we have really gone askew with this conversation, isn't this thread supposed to be about middle lane hogging on a motorway, not about going through villages at 40?

There's not really a lot to add to the OP though. Jefferson advocates driving at 70mph in the middle lane regardless of traffic conditions because changing lanes is too challenging/risky/tedious and aside from a couple of FMs, pretty much everyone else agreed they were barmy.

Discussions evolve so the attention has turned to speeding through villages and mythical single lane roads with 70mph speed limits. Tomorrow's topic will be roundabout etiquette then to take us through the weekend, "caravans - friend or foe?"
  • Options
    brewer480brewer480 Posts: 1,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's not really a lot to add to the OP though. Jefferson advocates driving at 70mph in the middle lane regardless of traffic conditions because changing lanes is too challenging/risky/tedious and aside from a couple of FMs, pretty much everyone else agreed they were barmy.

Discussions evolve so the attention has turned to speeding through villages and mythical single lane roads with 70mph speed limits. Tomorrow's topic will be roundabout etiquette then to take us through the weekend, "caravans - friend or foe?"

Good ok, just want to make sure we've won the war before we move on to the next battle. Roundabouts could be an interesting topic as they can be quite complex, not always obvious when the right to change lane, and that horrible feeling you get when your unsure then the guy behind you moves out and your stuck in for another loop around the roundabout. I imagine most Americans find them bizarre. Don't get me started on caravans lol!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Is it just me or does anyone else think Jefferson most likely takes the left lane in a roundabout regardless of exit because he's going to turn left eventually so might as well be in that lane from the start :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is it just me or does anyone else think Jefferson most likely takes the left lane in a roundabout regardless of exit because he's going to turn left eventually so might as well be in that lane from the start :)

Lol!! And the other poster (can't remember who) doesn't bother looking at the signs when approaching the roundabout (as it's unnecessary information) and only realises which exit is his once he's parallel with it resulting in barging across several lanes to get off it.
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The middle lane, surely? ;-)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'm thinking he might think indicating on roundabouts or indeed at any time is pretty pointless as well :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pac_girl wrote: »
    I'm thinking he might think indicating on roundabouts or indeed at any time is pretty pointless as well :)

Must drive one of those base model BMWs...you know...the ones without indicators only fitted as optional extras.
  • Options
    HieronymousHieronymous Posts: 7,302
    Forum Member
    bart4858 wrote: »
    Have they? I don't recall.

Yes. TrollHunter in #570, Trsvis_Bickle in #574, pepsiplusconker in #576, MonsterMunch99 in #587, TrollHunter in #591, pepsiplusconker in #592, alfster in #594, pepsiplusconker in #612, tealady in #620, Aftershow in #627, pepsiplusconker in #656. munta in #678, munta in #686.

Human visual perception is complex, but it can do marvelous things,

Yes it can. The human brain is also complex and can do marvellous things. When "visual perception" (eyesight) and the human brain are used in conjunction with each other a surprisingly large amount of information can be gathered and processed in an equally surprising short space of time. It's called 'concentration' or 'paying attention'.

..... such as pick out a face from a crowd, or an 'A5999' designator, on a green destination board on the approach to a roundabout. Or it can be aware of a brown tourist information sign, and knows, since a visit to a zoo is not part of your itinerary at 3am on a December morning, that it doesn't need to read any further.

Come on, just use your common sense and stop trying to win some silly debate.

Tourist information signs may have no relevance to my journey but I find that I absorb that information anyway. Signs on an M-way tend to be quite large and easily read - unless obscured by a lorry you might be overtaking - but, as you said, they do tend to be repeated.

I'm not after scoring debating points. Some of the things you've said are quite worrying and I can't decide if you're on a wind up, are one those who only starts to read a sign when you're virtually on top of it, or simply fails to pay attention.

For example, you indicated that you've found yourself in an unwanted filter lane on a familiar route. How? If it's familiar you should know about the filter lane, aside from the fact that it'll be indicated a least a mile beforehand, and then at half a mile.
    You have got it wrong; that was about what happens if you're in lane one and the motorway narrows to two lanes, you then have to hop over to the next lane sharpishly.

I see what you mean but you shouldn't have to "hop over to the next lane sharpishly" at all if you're paying attention/concentrating. As I said at least a mile beforehand there'll be a sign indicating that it's a filter lane. And then, again at half a mile.
    Getting from lane 2 onwards, into lane 1 for your exit, isn't made easier by the queue of HGVs you sometimes get in lane one which seem practically bumper-to-bumper: it can be a struggle to find any sort of gap, no matter how big.

This will depend on precisely when you decide to move into the first lane. Your posts also indicate a lack of anticipation so I'm wondering if you're one of those who chooses to try and move over at the last minute. Again, there'll be a sign a mile beforehand and I think it highly unlikely you'll have a mile long convoy of bumper-to-bumper trucks.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Getting from lane 2 onwards, into lane 1 for your exit, isn't made easier by the queue of HGVs you sometimes get in lane one which seem practically bumper-to-bumper: it can be a struggle to find any sort of gap, no matter how big..

So on a familiar route you get into lane 1 two miles before your junction - even if there isn't a sign you pick out a bridge or a field or house as a marker and move over at that point - I have a few markers on regular routes where I do this...pre-planning and anticipation.

Also, by looking up the motorway one can sometimes see the line of trucks and hence get into lane earlier than usual as well.

All it takes is thinking about what you need to do in a few minutes time looking at what the traffic might be like at that point and getting into position.