Options

Malaysia Airlines flight MH17 shot down near Ukraine-Russia border

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    This suprises you? :p

Yesterday the Bbc's defence 'expert' reckoned the launch site could be found from it's UV signature. Normally launches are detected by the IR/heat bloom..

A lot of the time the news relies on wiki or finding someone, any one who'll give'em a quote. What they may have done is just found this-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SA-6

which is the old SA-6 Kub. That used TELs linked to a seperate radar vehicle (again with IFF capability) and also in the Ukrainian inventory. But the images found and show have been for the SA-11 variant with integrated radar.

OK.

Unlike you I'm not an expert in missile technology, so was listening to those guests on the news channels, that's all.

I'm not going to spend hours and hours reading up on such weaponry either though, in some internet game of one-upmanship.

But I'd also say we still don't have any confirmation of which model or system it was. We have a couple of ideas as to what it could be and more than likely is, but that's all at present.
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    basdfg wrote: »
    That's them financially finished then if everyone cancels. Flights to Australia just about to get a fair bit more expensive.

Bar Singapore airlines Malaysian airlines have always been relatively expensive - you normally get better deals with the middle Eastern airlines, KLM/Air France and Lufthansa although the service isn't as good.
  • Options
    CitrusBlastCitrusBlast Posts: 111
    Forum Member
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    I am travelling to Kuala Lumpur in the autumn - my airline requires full address and passport details before you can check in. It's pretty standard practice now for long haul.

Yeah that's what I would expect, so I don't understand why they don't know who all the passengers are straight away. I heard something about them not knowing because they were 'in transit', not sure what that means though.
  • Options
    PunksNotDeadPunksNotDead Posts: 21,329
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A woman who lost her brother and sister-in-law in the disappearance of Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 has discovered her stepdaughter was on the plane shot down over Ukraine.

LINK
    How sad :(
  • Options
    roth30roth30 Posts: 3,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah that's what I would expect, so I don't understand why they don't know who all the passengers are straight away. I heard something about them not knowing because they were 'in transit', not sure what that means though.

Its connecting flights you check in on first plane they issue everything there even give boarding cards for next flight. So when you get to next plane you don't need to check in as you did it for the first plane. So they have to go back to first time you checked in.
    I did a flight like this to usa with a change in Philly. Once off the first plane you just go straight to gate hand in boarding card and your done. But at Manchester it was a case of all passport, luggage checks etc.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 200
    Forum Member
    d'@ve wrote: »
    Today's flight MH17 has taken a circuitous route across Germany, Czech, Slovakia, Hungary, Romania, southern Black Sea coastline, NE Turkey, all over the place really and quite twisty for an airliner. flightradar24.com.

Looks like they are carefully avoiding all possible war zones including Syria and Iraq. I can't see how they can avoid Afghanistan though.

Ukraine east of Kiev is totally devoid of aircraft today.

Have they changed the number of the flight yet? Can't imagine how weird it must feel being on that flight today...
  • Options
    basdfgbasdfg Posts: 6,764
    Forum Member
    A Dutch senator died on the plane. Spooky an American congressman died on the Alaska to Seoul plane shot down in the 1980's I have read.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,482
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "If the plane disappears, this is what it looks like"

Good God that's depressing.
  • Options
    Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've yet to read official confirmation that MH17 was brought down by a missile. It's going to take some time to get to the bottom of this tragedy.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,692
    Forum Member
    dmuk wrote: »
    "If the plane disappears, this is what it looks like"

Good God that's depressing.

Game of Thrones has a lot to answer for.
  • Options
    SaturnVSaturnV Posts: 11,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    vinba wrote: »
    Because the safe height would have been beyond the capability of the aircraft to fly at. The only safe area was away from a nutter with the means to shoot you down. With a mobile system like this it could have been anywhere.

The 'safe' height was 24000ft plus a margin of 30% = 32000ft which they were above.
    The 'safe' height turned out to be wrong but we only know that with hindsight.
    I was questioning why the airline were irresponsible for flying above the published safe height.
  • Options
    James2001James2001 Posts: 73,731
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For all the people here praising RT's coverage, it looks like one of their reporters has resigned over it! http://www.theguardian.com/media/2014/jul/18/mh17-russia-today-reporter-resigns-sara-firth-kremlin-malaysia
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 357
    Forum Member
    A woman who lost her brother and sister-in-law in the disappearance of Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 has discovered her stepdaughter was on the plane shot down over Ukraine.

LINK
    How sad :(

How awful. The odds of that happening must have incredibly low...

I think the saddest story I've heard is of two parents who lost all of their three children, aged 8, 10 and 12, on the flight (they were travelling with their grandfather). I can't even begin to imagine the pain they are going through now...:(
  • Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    James2001 wrote: »
    For all the people here praising RT's coverage, it looks like one of their reporters has resigned over it! http://www.theguardian.com/media/2014/jul/18/mh17-russia-today-reporter-resigns-sara-firth-kremlin-malaysia

I watched a LOT of it last night. It was so biased (they spent most of their airtime moaning about how everyone was blaming them ie Putin) it was practically a comedy. Their anchors are abysmal as well and WTF were they thinking with that orange desk?!?!?

Some nice nighttime shots of Moscow though!
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member

Good for her! RT is a joke.

Unfortunately this story just goes to show what happens when East European peasants get their hands on 21st century technology. No-one's remotely interested in their petty little squabbles or their inane yearnings to be part of Russia.
  • Options
    Lisa.BLisa.B Posts: 57,280
    Forum Member

I was just about to post this too. A bit more detail on her issues with their idea of 'broadcasting' here.
  • Options
    James2001James2001 Posts: 73,731
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Of course last night I was told RT is for people with "open minds", and that the BBC is just as biased. Not that I realised the BBC was run by the government's propaganda arm, which RT is, but there you go...
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vinba wrote: »
    previously they thought that the rebels only had MANPADS

They're incontinent too?
  • Options
    Jellied EelJellied Eel Posts: 33,091
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SaturnV wrote: »
    The 'safe' height was 24000ft plus a margin of 30% = 32000ft which they were above.
    The 'safe' height turned out to be wrong but we only know that with hindsight.
    I was questioning why the airline were irresponsible for flying above the published safe height.

Last week the 'safe' height was 26,000 feet. Monday, an An-26 was shot down at 21,000 feet and restrictions raised to 32,000 feet. Yesterday, the pilot requested clearance to 35,000 feet and was told to maintain 33,000 feet. Today, the Ukrainian SBU seized the air traffic control recordings.

Why, knowing the seperatists had high-altitude SAMs operating in that area didn't the Ukrainian government close that airspace completely?
  • Options
    mazzy50mazzy50 Posts: 13,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is anybody watching the Russian UN Ambassador speaking now?

Being broadcast on BBC News 24. A 100% tirade against what Ukraine is doing against the rebels as if that justifies what happened.
  • Options
    leicslad46leicslad46 Posts: 3,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    289 innocent people were murdered on MH17. I wonder how much this govt will care about the nine who came from this country and seek strongest justice possible. We should cut off off all relations with russia and ukraine and expel their ambassadors. It may be over the top to some who favour appeasement to russia but this was an act of MURDER and can NOT go by unpunished. It is total BS to suggest it was an accident
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,539
    Forum Member
    trumpet101 wrote: »
    Have they changed the number of the flight yet? Can't imagine how weird it must feel being on that flight today...

No, the flight number is still in use, though I am sure it will soon be retired.
  • Options
    nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    leicslad46 wrote: »
    .... We should cut off off all relations with russia and ukraine and expel their ambassadors ....

Find somewhere else to buy the proportion, which comes from Russia, of our winter fuel gas from then maybe we'll think about it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    leicslad46 wrote: »
    289 innocent people were murdered on MH17. I wonder how much this govt will care about the nine who came from this country and seek strongest justice possible. We should cut off off all relations with russia and ukraine and expel their ambassadors. It may be over the top to some who favour appeasement to russia but this was an act of MURDER and can NOT go by unpunished. It is total BS to suggest it was an accident

3rd July 1988 USS Vincennes shot down Iran Air 655 killing 290 in a case of mistaken identity. It eventually paid compensation but to this day denies responsibility. Sadly accidents happen in war time.

Bigger accidents happen if politicians are allowed to exploit tragedies like this.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mazzy50 wrote: »
    Being broadcast on BBC News 24. A 100% tirade against what Ukraine is doing against the rebels as if that justifies what happened.

Perhaps he has a point? So you're a seperatist. You are being bombed and shelled by the Ukrainian army. How would you defend yourself against airstrikes?

The only sensible comments coming out of this mess are ones calling for serious peace negotiations. Previous peace offers from the Ukrainian government have been little more than calls for surrender. We seem to be agreeing-

15:32: Nick Bryant BBC News, New York
    The British ambassador to the UN had very strong words of condemnation, not just about what happened with the downing of the plane but for the kind of support Russia has reportedly been giving separatists in Ukraine. He said the UN Security Council had to go further than its press statement and demand separatists lay down their arms.