Options

BBC1 8-11pm: Commonwealth Games Opening Ceremony Glasgow 2014

Comments

• Options
    StuntyStunty Posts: 45,704
    Forum Member
    lavender50 wrote: »
    probably the same person who thought blowing up a building live was a good idea. and the person who thought the team scotland uniforms were lovely :D

Forgot about that ........ if that was supposd to be the highlight :o we should really have got the hint that it was not going to be spectacular!!

Waking up this morning I am wondering whether I dreamt it all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    A few moments which seemed rather bizarre .....

I started watching the proceedings when this rather odd Scotish lady seemed to be having some kind of rant. Presume that was Karen Dunbar who I had never heard of before.

Constantly 'throwing' the production to somewhere in the Commonwealth, like Sachin Tendulkar, which just a recorded piece.

Certain 'celebrities' begging for donations, which they put across as being something which has 'never been done before'. :confused:

All the Scotty Dogs ....... were there 71 of them or did just a few of them just keep going round and round. Some of them had to be carried, suppose they refused to walk in protest!

James McAvoy reading the word 'screen' as 'scene' when trying to get everyone to text a donation.

A man from the Royal Ballet sprinting into the arena dressed in a kilt and big hobnail boots, then performing a dance with a young lady.

Sir Chris Hoy seemingly to be everywhere.

The Queen's limousine 'bouncing' into Celtic Park ....... I think Prince Philip thought he was on some sort of fairground ride!!

A man shouting at us in an aggressive manner ...... he was just welcoming us to the Games! :o

The final humiliation, they couldn't open the baton to get the message out, The Queen looked on willing them to get on with it, then punched the air when they eventually got at the scroll. She is the ultimate 'performer', remains serene and unruffled, then just takes everything in her stride and as usual delivered her lines perfectly ...... thank goodness she turned up for a bit of sanity in the whole thing!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Scotty Dog Alert.

Two of them will be appearing in the BBC Breakfast studio in the next 15 minutes!! :D Woof woof!

Apparently there were 40 of them, so some of them had to go round twice!
  • Options
    MR. MacavityMR. Macavity Posts: 3,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stunty wrote: »

A man shouting at us in an aggressive manner ...... he was just welcoming us to the Games! :o

It is the Glasgow games after all....... :)

All in all, it wasn't too bad, we only had about 60 seconds of Salmond which was less than I'd dared hope for.

The Queen was great, I'd just love to know what she is thinking at times........ she's had a whole life of biting her tongue!
  • Options
    KarlyKarly Posts: 10,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apologies if this has already been discussed since last night - haven't time to go back and read all posts, but just looking at it again this morning was the problem with getting the lid off the baton that they were opening it in the wrong place rather than it being too tight? More of it seemed to lift off than just the top part they were wrestling with.
  • Options
    gerry dgerry d Posts: 12,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A few moments which seemed rather bizarre .....

I started watching the proceedings when this rather odd Scotish lady seemed to be having some kind of rant. Presume that was Karen Dunbar who I had never heard of before.

Yip,that was Karen Dunbar
  • Options
    grauniadgrauniad Posts: 7,958
    Forum Member
    I didn't know whether I was watching a second rate Saturday evening 'spectacular' , Crufts, or Children in Need.
  • Options
    newkid30newkid30 Posts: 7,797
    Forum Member

A man from the Royal Ballet sprinting into the arena dressed in a kilt and big hobnail boots, then performing a dance with a young lady.

The Queen's limousine 'bouncing' into Celtic Park ....... I think Prince Philip thought he was on some sort of fairground ride!!

I did not watch it all, flicked over and back, but I thought the ballet was beautiful :blush:.
    The Queen bouncing in was actually Hilarious. I kept expecting them to start playing some Snoop Doggy Dogg music and the bonnet to start bouncing open and shut. It was like a Hip Hop video.................except it was The Queen. :D Priceless.

The one thing I could not fathom was WHY was there no decoration or 'set' in the middle, it looked awful this barren brown space in the middle. I 'get' that the games will be played there, but surely they could have thought of something to make it look a bit more festive.
  • Options
    TheGrumpWizardTheGrumpWizard Posts: 1,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Addisonian wrote: »
    Oh I didn't know there was a larger thread in this forum...

As I said in the other thread, I thought, on the whole, that was a magnificent show. But I suppose you can't please everybody, as many of the comments on here have proved tonight.

And what a shame that many seem be turning this into yet more religious bigoted nonsense what with the Queen appearing at Celtic Park (not on here, but Facebook from what I've read so far).
    Why can't people just leave the Celtic vs Rangers shite alone for once and just enjoy this for what it was - a celebration of the Commonwealth, Scotland and the wonderful city that is Glasgow.

It's these types of thuggish louts that give Glasgow a bad name
    If you want to avoid comments about sectarianism, Rangers and Celtic then I suggest they don't hold the opening ceremony in Celtic Park, one of the two homes of bigotry in Glasgow.

I also suggest that the Glaswegian, Scottish and football authorities pay little more than lip service to trying to actually eradicate sectarianism. They are too scared or involved to genuinely do anything about it.

Sectarianism and Glasgow go hand in hand whether you like it or not. Glasgow isn't anywhere near as wonderful as they'd have you think.
    babba wrote: »
    Where do I start? In a few words I thought it was absolutely dreadful.. to the half filled seats right in front of the cameras to the whole cheapness of the production...Scotland has a wealth of talent, well it wasnt on show here...I was embarrassed watching the whole thing...Low budget, tacky and just CHEAP... what a pity..
    It represented Glasgow well then. It's just a pity the rest of us are guilty by association.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grauniad wrote: »
    I didn't know whether I was watching a second rate Saturday evening 'spectacular' , Crufts, or Children in Need.

I thought the same when I watched the opening of the 2012 Olympics in London!
  • Options
    Mr_EyeMr_Eye Posts: 1,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a disaster that was. I cant decide whether my highlight was Susan Boyle forgetting the words to Mull of Kintyre or the residents of an old peoples home dancing to Calvin Harris.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    newkid30 wrote: »
    I did not watch it all, flicked over and back, but I thought the ballet was beautiful :blush:.
    The Queen bouncing in was actually Hilarious. I kept expecting them to start playing some Snoop Doggy Dogg music and the bonnet to start bouncing open and shut. It was like a Hip Hop video.................except it was The Queen. :D Priceless.

The one thing I could not fathom was WHY was there no decoration or 'set' in the middle, it looked awful this barren brown space in the middle. I 'get' that the games will be played there, but surely they could have thought of something to make it look a bit more festive.

The Games are not at Celtic Park though, the athletics are at Hampden Park!!

Earlier in the day Sally, the sport lady on Breakfast said she had seen the 'running order' and there were 'two big surprises', which I'm still wondering what they were?!! Also that the 'set' was being kept outside Celtic Park, they had to vacate the stadium between 12 noon and 5pm for them to get it ready. Not sure they required so much time.
  • Options
    CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did anyone see The Krankies?:D
  • Options
    TheGrumpWizardTheGrumpWizard Posts: 1,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think one of the surprises was The Duke of Edinburgh wearing a suit. Every other time he's up in jockland he wears a kilt, like a lot of the royal family. It's not patronising in the least.
  • Options
    pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What were the cheers like for England, Scotland, NI and Wales? Big cheers for all 4 home teams? Any boos? Which other nations got big cheers?
  • Options
    JenzenJenzen Posts: 7,364
    Forum Member
    Paddy C wrote: »
    What were the cheers like for England, Scotland, NI and Wales? Big cheers for all 4 home teams? Any boos? Which other nations got big cheers?

Big cheers for all the home teams really, huge roars for Scotland :)

Malaysia also got a huge cheer, and carried their flag in at half-mast, nice touch.
  • Options
    HHGTTGHHGTTG Posts: 5,941
    Forum Member
    I didn't or want to see it on telly but caught some sound bites on the radio. Was it a matter of Glasgow does tacky? Sounded like it to me but there again I can't abide these festivities or Children in Need marathons.
  • Options
    MONIFIETHBOYMONIFIETHBOY Posts: 786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    newkid30 wrote: »

What do you mean? Here's the footage I saw, I screen capped it :p >
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAllO9wtcxI
  • Options
    SpotSpot Posts: 25,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Karly wrote: »
    Apologies if this has already been discussed since last night - haven't time to go back and read all posts, but just looking at it again this morning was the problem with getting the lid off the baton that they were opening it in the wrong place rather than it being too tight? More of it seemed to lift off than just the top part they were wrestling with.

Whatever the problem was, you'd think they'd have checked it first and maybe loosened it a bit so there would be no problem opening it when the moment came.
  • Options
    pedrokpedrok Posts: 16,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    They must be saving the Proclaimers for the closing ceremony. Nothing else can explain their absence.

Why would The Proclaimers, who are from Fife, be at either the opening or closing ceremony?
  • Options
    BosoxBosox Posts: 14,184
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Spot wrote: »
    Whatever the problem was, you'd think they'd have checked it first and maybe loosened it a bit so there would be no problem opening it when the moment came.

It didn't look like they'd practiced or rehearsed anything from the whole show, it was a mess from start to finish.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The whole opening ceremony was designed by Alex Salmond.This is a small taste of what an independent Scotland will be like.How many are voting yes? :)

What idiotic nonsense.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jenzen wrote: »
    Big cheers for all the home teams really, huge roars for Scotland :)

Malaysia also got a huge cheer, and carried their flag in at half-mast, nice touch.

Seems the claims of the English media about English athletes being booed was utterly wrong.
  • Options
    Grim FandangoGrim Fandango Posts: 4,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm looking forward to an opening ceremony that does something a bit different (and i don't mean whack in a Unicef appeal every five minutes). Beijing and London are unbeatable in my eyes, anyone operating on a much smaller budget or without the expertise of the likes of Danny Boyle would be better off not trying to compete at that level. I was hoping Glas would do something a bit different. When the ceremony started and the girl approached the camera talking directly to us, I thought it was going to be a more intimate ceremony where they lampooned the ott nature and expense of opening ceremonies - show us a little of that 'Glasgow wit' they're always banging on about. Very quickly it just turned into a half rate version of most other ceremonies though. Shame. The half empty stands were very unsightly, I think the organisers should fill us in on why/how that happened.

Glasgow has a great arts and cultural scene, it would have been nice to see some of the young bands and artists represented in the flesh (rather than occasional snippets of their songs at the beginning and end) instead of old dinosaurs like Rod being wheeled out twice!

The scotty dogs were a nice touch though. Should have just had them do a one man and his dog style routine or something :D
  • Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    pedrok wrote: »
    Why would The Proclaimers, who are from Fife, be at either the opening or closing ceremony?

Because they are Scottish and their songs are real crowd pleasers.