Options

2014 Celebs. Who do we think?

Comments

• Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *Topaz* wrote: »
    I was just pointing out the BBC are far from sqeaky clean when it comes to some of their employees!

It's not a case of being squeaky-clean, it's more a case of proportionanlity and how recently these things were reported/admitted. In Tulisa's case, they were all reported in open court in the past couple of months, and in one case the conviction was only last week (and the intention to lodge an appeal will ensure that the case remains in the public's consciousness).

And in the case of Class A drugs, I think that they will be seen by the public & press alike as something far worse than anything that Greg has done (or is alleged to have done) in his private life.
  • Options
    21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,510
    Forum Member
    Wasn't Jodie Kidd accused of being a drug pusher just before she took part?
  • Options
    DanslinkDanslink Posts: 8,365
    Forum Member
    I suppose Alison is Mel Giedroyc's reserve.
  • Options
    *Topaz**Topaz* Posts: 4,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    It's not a case of being squeaky-clean, it's more a case of proportionanlity and how recently these things were reported/admitted. In Tulisa's case, they were all reported in open court in the past couple of months, and in one case the conviction was only last week (and the intention to lodge an appeal will ensure that the case remains in the public's consciousness).

And in the case of Class A drugs, I think that they will be seen by the public & press alike as something far worse than anything that Greg has done (or is alleged to have done) in his private life.

Again I was not comparing Tulisa's alleged offences and conviction with Greggs!

Gregg has a conviction for football hooliganism - I don't care that it was a long time ago - since part of his image on tv is being a 'hard man' on 'Masterchef' - I don't think it reflects very well on him and the BBC - it was also widely reported & there are also witnesses that he was publically brawling with someone at an event he was hosting as recently as last year - I presume he could have sued the press if that wasn't the case - he frequently boasts of how loaded he is - so he can't be short of cash to do so. Again this doesn't reflect very well on him.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/gregg-wallace-fight-picture-shows-2191196
    Wasn't Jodie Kidd accused of being a drug pusher just before she took part?

I'm not sure if she was pushing but I did hear she got into trouble involving drugs just before she took part in her series.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Just googled it- she was "fixing them" but it was part of a NOTW sting operation.

To be honest, I am surprised the BBC have gone for Gregg after his rather high profile indiscretion in a hotel bar last year.
  • Options
    StigOfTheKrumpStigOfTheKrump Posts: 36,363
    Forum Member
    Looks like Alison is pretty much certain, then - I can see the 'ham' part of her surname being put to good use on here.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't mind Alison because as pointed out she had done quite a bit since BB which she appeared in a long time ago now. I don't watch 'This Morning' much anymore but I have seen her on it in the past.........and having Alison on will hopefully mean less chance of Mark Wright on since they both do bits on 'This Morning' and they're both ex 'IACGMOH' contestants.

I do think she'll perhaps be marmite though - I noticed she came out with that Lisa Riley cliche about doing it for the 'big girls' in that Huffington Post link........I always remember how refreshing it was what Amber Riley said in one of her first VTs on DWTS - that she didn't just want to be seen as a 'big girl' who can dance but as a good dancer so I do hope if she can dance they're not going to play the 'big girl' dancing angle too much..........I bet if she can dance one of the judges will say at some point she has 'good rhythm' though!
  • Options
    CamisCamis Posts: 13,553
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

According to Google she's 5'10 :o Brendan, Anton or Tristan, perhaps?

Please not Tristan - I know he had some of the more 'challenging' contestants on DWTS but please no. Surely Anton deserves a younger partner ;-)
  • Options
    strictlydivastrictlydiva Posts: 720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What about a retired athlete?
  • Options
    spider9spider9 Posts: 4,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rosco2010 wrote: »
    I think we may see some commonwealth stars this year..max Whitlock perhaps?

Not a chance of seeing Max, isn't it the Gymnastics World Champs next year?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    What about a retired athlete?

I keep mentioning Louise Hazel. She's only 28 but retired, and has been doing a spot of presenting for the BBC this past week.

I'm also very surprised we've never had Iwan Thomas- he's done every other BBC reality show and seems like he'd be a perfect fit for Strictly.
  • Options
    latinlouloulatinloulou Posts: 3,340
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I keep mentioning Louise Hazel. She's only 28 but retired, and has been doing a spot of presenting for the BBC this past week.

I'm also very surprised we've never had Iwan Thomas- he's done every other BBC reality show and seems like he'd be a perfect fit for Strictly.

He'd also fit the One Show entry - I've expected to see Antia Rani for a couple of years too.
  • Options
    Daily DreamsDaily Dreams Posts: 1,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm pretty surprised by Alison Hammond if I'm honest. She was on Big Brother and the second evicted, IAC and was the second voted out IIRC.. A sort of competition presenter/celebrity interviewer on This Morning. If I'm sounding a bit stuck up, she just seems a little Z-list for Strictly. I mean I know they've had the likes of Vanessa Feltz etc. but Alison to me just seems a bit of a poor choice in terms of fame. Her personality is wicked though! Guess that's a bonus.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm pretty surprised by Alison Hammond if I'm honest. She was on Big Brother and the second evicted, IAC and was the second voted out IIRC.. A sort of competition presenter/celebrity interviewer on This Morning. If I'm sounding a bit stuck up, she just seems a little Z-list for Strictly. I mean I know they've had the likes of Vanessa Feltz etc. but Alison to me just seems a bit of a poor choice in terms of fame. Her personality is wicked though! Guess that's a bonus.

Well I'm surprised tbh as well but I think she's a better alternative to 'Mark I love myself Wright'. Maybe if she does strictly her personality will come across better on it - I don't necessarily think because you haven't done well in certain reality shows you won't do well on Strictly or because you've done well on another reality show you'll do well on Strictly - I mean didn't Sid Owen do quite well on 'IAC' - I think he got to the final in the show, but he was an early boot on Strictly?

I think a lot depends on strictly on the partnership with your pro - their attitude in the training room and how they handle the criticism from the judges and of course the celebs' performances.
  • Options
    Forum Member

She's got more of a profile than Fiona Fullerton who was a bona fide estate agent before she signed last year!

BiB says it all- Lisa Riley (as much as she's a bit of a hate figure on here now) had a decent personality that made her popular, and she'd not been relevant since 2002!
  • Options
    olivejolivej Posts: 14,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CloneClown wrote: »

I was about to say "who" until I clicked on the link - great, a Big Brother reject and a Lisa Riley wannabee :o
  • Options
    Miriam_RMiriam_R Posts: 4,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if we'll get anyone from this Commonwealth Games (as has been mentioned), esp if they're on the verge of retiring after it finishes or, for whatever reason, need to take a break from their sporting life. I can't see any of the big names (that are at the peak of their careers) doing so because it will break the momentum of their success/training for potential up-coming success, but maybe the sort of known name that will retire after this Games and has done so with a gold medal wouldn't be a surprise to see.
  • Options
    Kmc1978Kmc1978 Posts: 7,144
    Forum Member
    Camis wrote: »
    Please not Tristan - I know he had some of the more 'challenging' contestants on DWTS but please no. Surely Anton deserves a younger partner ;-)

I concur. He needs a fairly young, not overly annoying ringer... but not too ringery (or someone who just 'sat on a chair' :p ) so as not to upset DS :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Kmc1978 wrote: »
    I concur. He needs a fairly young, not overly annoying ringer... but not too ringery (or someone who just 'sat on a chair' :p ) so as not to upset DS :D

Helen Skelton! Helen Skelton!
  • Options
    Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    Miriam_R wrote: »
    I wonder if we'll get anyone from this Commonwealth Games (as has been mentioned), esp if they're on the verge of retiring after it finishes or, for whatever reason, need to take a break from their sporting life. I can't see any of the big names (that are at the peak of their careers) doing so because it will break the momentum of their success/training for potential up-coming success, but maybe the sort of known name that will retire after this Games and has done so with a gold medal wouldn't be a surprise to see.

Well, as they have been know to have the odd relative of a famous person, and Commonweath and Olympic connected, how about Bert Le Clos, but only on condition they have his rather lovely son Chad in the audience each week supporting him (and just leave the camera trained on him at all times :blush: )

On a more serious note, Steve Parry wouldn't surprise me, Olympic connection, Beeb employee - or indeed Jonathan Edwards (who's morphed into a silver fox as the years have gone on)
  • Options
    MonksealMonkseal Posts: 12,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Regarding the names, last year IIRC Vanessa dribbled out prematurely at the end of August, as did a couple of others - Tony Jacklin and Rachel Riley? Then the rest kind of fell out in a big clump. They've had a habit the past few years of hyping up a massive OFFICIAL CAST REVEAL on The One Show and it turning out to be half an hour of breathless hype for one person.

Louis Smith's Commonwealth success has actually given me hope that some current athletes might take the show up, as it's clearly not damaged him chances of carrying on with his sport afterwards. I was worried after the Jade Johnson farrago we'd never get anybody who hadn't already retired to take part ever again.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The Sun always splurge the names on the day the embargo is lifted so the Obe Show reveal is always a bit flat.
  • Options
    Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,406
    Forum Member
    She's got more of a profile than Fiona Fullerton who was a bona fide estate agent before she signed last year!

BiB says it all- Lisa Riley (as much as she's a bit of a hate figure on here now) had a decent personality that made her popular, and she'd not been relevant since 2002!

I have no problem with people who started on a reality show but have carved out a genuine career for themselves, so the likes of Alison Hammond, Kate Lawler, Ben Fogle etc would not bother me.

I hate with a passion the "Scripted reality" celebs who have no discernible talent other then "being themselves" like Made in Chelsea and TOWIE.
    I am praying Strictly does not sign any of these sub-Z-listers.

I also was disgusted at last year's signing of long-retired stars like Tony Jacklin and Fiona Fullerton. They had retired so long ago they were irrelevant, and would be unknown to viewers under 30
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just to get back to Gregg Wallace again - I think there are enough incidents to suggest the man obviously has anger mangement issues - I don't care if his brawl last year didn't result in a conviction, or that the man he got into a fight with allegedly groped his girlfriend ( and anyway the man he started a fight with denies it ) I don't think it can be excused. I've also read in a few other articles which say he has to hire PR to travel round with him to stop him getting into fights with members of the public when he does public appearances because he doesn't like people being 'rude' to him. I find it extraordinary that he has to hire someone to stop him getting into fights! Surely any criticisms he gets he should be able to take on the chin - lots of media people get flak. If people think he's rubbish on tv they're entitled to their opinions - perhaps it is rude to say it to his face but he's been on tv long enough so he should be able to take it.

How on earth would he handle some of the criticisms he might get if he does Strictly? I mean obviously not everyone is going to think he's a great a dancer as he seems to think he is?
  • Options
    Stuart25Stuart25 Posts: 12,217
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Steve9214 wrote: »
    I have no problem with people who started on a reality show but have carved out a genuine career for themselves, so the likes of Alison Hammond, Kate Lawler, Ben Fogle etc would not bother me.

I hate with a passion the "Scripted reality" celebs who have no discernible talent other then "being themselves" like Made in Chelsea and TOWIE.
    I am praying Strictly does not sign any of these sub-Z-listers.

I also was disgusted at last year's signing of long-retired stars like Tony Jacklin and Fiona Fullerton. They had retired so long ago they were irrelevant, and would be unknown to viewers under 30

On the flipside to that, would viewers over 50 have heard of Abbey Clancy or Ashley Taylor Dawson? What I like about Strictly is it caters for all ages. I hadn't heard of Fiona Fullerton, but her taking part in the series made me a big fan of hers.