Options

Conor and the epilator. Ashleigh and the mirror.

Comments

• Options
    daniellehdanielleh Posts: 7,852
    Forum Member
    I don't think it's uncommon to make empty joke threats with your friends or family. Certainly not as uncommon as being made out on this thread. Such empty threats have been made plenty of times this series, to rightfully, no reaction. Toya has said she'd "deck" Jale, Danielle said she'd "go through Helen like a ton of bricks" and someone (Helen, I think) said she'd "tear her head off". I would say people are either oversensitive or in the case of the OP, have a strange compulsion to disparage Ashleigh.

If anybody genuinely thought Ashleigh was going to follow Christopher into the bedroom, grab him by the scruff of the neck and put his head through a mirror, then I'm lost for words. There's no way you can equate Ashleigh's flippant joke to Conor's hate fuelled rant, which was so disturbing and graphic that there was no option but to warn him. Even more ludicrous is the OP's attempt to equate Ashleigh's flippant joke to domestic violence.
  • Options
    CranberryappleCranberryapple Posts: 12,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    danielleh wrote: »
    I don't think it's uncommon to make empty joke threats with your friends or family. Certainly not as uncommon as being made out on this thread. Such empty threats have been made plenty of times this series, to rightfully, no reaction. Toya has said she'd "deck" Jale, Danielle said she'd "go through Helen like a ton of bricks" and someone (Helen, I think) said she'd "tear her head off". I would say people are either oversensitive or in the case of the OP, have a strange compulsion to disparage Ashleigh.

If anybody genuinely thought Ashleigh was going to follow Christopher into the bedroom, grab him by the scruff of the neck and put his head through a mirror, then I'm lost for words. There's no way you can equate Ashleigh's flippant joke to Conor's hate fuelled rant, which was so disturbing and graphic that there was no option but to warn him. Even more ludicrous is the OP's attempt to equate Ashleigh's flippant joke to domestic violence.

Excellent post:)
  • Options
    SAFC_DerrySAFC_Derry Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Theredendi wrote: »
    See, I'd say a really good friend would be very protective of their friendship even in the heat of the moment, and would step back before saying any such thing in an argument, thus limiting damage.

If I called my mate a **** and that I'd like to kick him in the bollocks during a proper argument, I don't think he'd much appreciate me later saying, "Nah, I only said it because you're a great mate and you know I don't mean it". I think he'd think I was a dick.

Unless of course I said it in a joking way, while not having an argument...but that's not what happened.

Everyone's friendships are different of course, no doubting that.

Maybe it's just that you don't get the Irish sense of humour or how they (certain sections of the youth) interact with friends? It can come across as quite aggressive even threatening at times but I can assure you it is mostly banter as you will hear it quite a bit and it is tongue in cheek. TBH our colourful use of the language often leaves people open mouthed but you have to take the context and tone into account.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 379
    Forum Member
    SAFC_Derry wrote: »
    Maybe it's just that you don't get the Irish sense of humour or how they interact with friends? It can come across as quite aggressive even threatening at times but I can assure you it is mostly banter as you will hear it quite a bit and it is tongue in cheek. TBH our colourful use of the language often leaves people open mouthed but you have to take the context and tone into account.

I've got a few Irish friends and not one of them has ever said anything like that to me, or anyone else in our friendship group. They have joked in a similar way, certainly, but never said it seriously following an argument. Of course, that's just a sample size of n<10, so I can't obviously say for everyone.

Was Ashleigh really just having a bit of a joke when she said it and called him a dick? Because she seemed pretty angry to me, and was genuinely irritated with Christopher.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've got a few Irish friends and not one of them has ever said anything like that to me, or anyone else in our friendship group. They have joked in a similar way, certainly, but never said it seriously following an argument. Of course, that's just a sample size of n<10, so I can't obviously say for everyone.

Was Ashleigh really just having a bit of a joke when she said it and called him a dick? Because she seemed pretty angry to me, and was genuinely irritated with Christopher.

No she wasn't having a joke, her rant was very genuine.. Christopher had annoyed her, she had a go at him and she was quite rightly told off from Christopher for it.

What I am failing to see is why it's such a big deal!:confused: They're mates and they had a tiff!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No she wasn't having a joke, her rant was very genuine.. Christopher had annoyed her, she had a go at him and she was quite rightly told off from Christopher for it.

What I am failing to see is why it's such a big deal!:confused: They're mates and they had a tiff!!

Well I can't speak for anyone else of course, but if you see my posts, the 'deal' (not big, just discussion) I'm making is that I wouldn't dream of saying that I'd like to put my mates head through a mirror, following an argument.
  • Options
    SAFC_DerrySAFC_Derry Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Hence the context and tone, she was irritated and stressed but do you think she 100% meant it and therefore ending a nice friendship? Do you mean everything you say in the heat of the moment?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hence the context and tone, she was irritated and stressed but do you think she 100% meant it and therefore ending a nice friendship? Do you mean everything you say in the heat of the moment?

Not the point I was making. I never said she was actually going to do it, nor do I think she's anything like Connor.

My point was that I wouldn't dream of saying anything like that to a mate - I question the strength of her friendship with him.

As an aside, you said that it could be because I don't understand Irish humour. Now you say that it wasn't said in humour. Which is it? Irritation/stress or humour? If it's the former, that's what I think is a pretty poor show, even in an argument.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I can't speak for anyone else of course, but if you see my posts, the 'deal' (not big, just discussion) I'm making is that I wouldn't dream of saying that I'd like to put my mates head through a mirror, following an argument.

I wasn't referring to your post as the 'Big Deal'. It was about the whole subject of it.

It was a flippant remark that she said when she was stressed and angry. Christopher done the right thing, told her where to get off.

I honestly can't see why such a mountain is being made out of the mole hill!!:confused:
  • Options
    ForGodsSakeForGodsSake Posts: 16,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Christopher is a dick IMO, and Ashleigh said he was a dick, in the context of him coming out with a stupid remark, about BB not being able to do any more to them, which is very stupid of Christopher to assume that, she was worried about the forth coming task that day, and Christopher sort of jeered at her worry, by saying this. He should have had a sign which said SMUG MUCH, round his neck. IMO he has been very smug lately, because he is very smart and now knows he has won the sympathy vote, which has been his gameplan all along, as well as sitting on the fence. I have noticed Christopher checking to see if the cameras are on him before he says anything to anyone and is very guarded in his real opinions. He is not very natural. He always seems to me, to be, thinking before he speaks, and he comes across as being more Fakeish to me than anyone else in there. As for putting Ashleigh in similar context with Conner, this is another very feeble attempt at trying to turn the public against Ashleigh. She had a little strop at Christopher, so what. They have already kissed and made up, and forgot about it fgs and she did not say 'she would smash his head against a mirror' she said she 'would LIKE to smash his head against a mirror'. There is a difference.

Are you related to Ashleigh ?
  • Options
    jp761jp761 Posts: 33,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't believe some people here are suggesting they've never said anything violent sounding towards anyone ever. Yes it wolud be different if it was on a regular basis.

And it does make a difference too whether it's towards friends/family or total strangers.
  • Options
    digiqueendigiqueen Posts: 1,226
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Conor came across as aggressive, IMO Ashley came across as a three year old throwing a tantrum. The pouting bottom lip and the impression that she was the only one worried about the task. The naughty step for her methinks.
  • Options
    GrandmotherGrandmother Posts: 2,091
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe it's just that you don't get the Irish sense of humour or how they (certain sections of the youth) interact with friends? It can come across as quite aggressive even threatening at times but I can assure you it is mostly banter as you will hear it quite a bit and it is tongue in cheek. TBH our colourful use of the language often leaves people open mouthed but you have to take the context and tone into account.

Conor wasn't joking, and I'm not convinced Ashleigh was either.

This 'banter' thing - isn't it just a way for genuinely unbalanced people not to have follow through on their threats the next day? Dunno about anyone else, but if I was told I'd even suggested I was going to smash someone's face in, or violate them sexually, in graphic style, I'm pretty sure I'd check myself into the nearest lunatic asylum.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jp761 wrote: »
    I can't believe some people here are suggesting they've never said anything violent sounding towards anyone ever. Yes it wolud be different if it was on a regular basis.

And it does make a difference too whether it's towards friends/family or total strangers.

Why don't you believe them? I've never said anything violent to a friend, and I'm sure a lot of people haven't said violent things to people. Your standards are your own and may be different but that's no grounds for judging others' honesty based on them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    digiqueen wrote: »
    Conor came across as aggressive, IMO Ashley came across as a three year old throwing a tantrum. The pouting bottom lip and the impression that she was the only one worried about the task. The naughty step for her methinks.

Yep, agreed. Conor should have been kicked out, and the punishment you suggest for Ashleigh seems appropriate though I'd add that she should probably not get any good behaviour stickers for a while either :)
  • Options
    digiqueendigiqueen Posts: 1,226
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep, agreed. Conor should have been kicked out, and the punishment you suggest for Ashleigh seems appropriate though I'd add that she should probably not get any good behaviour stickers for a while either :)

ROFL. She definitely will not get milk monitor this week, perhaps even 100 lines 'I will not threaten mirrors with heads'.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why don't you believe them? I've never said anything violent to a friend, and I'm sure a lot of people haven't said violent things to people. Your standards are your own and may be different but that's no grounds for judging others' honesty based on them.
    Nothing violent sounding your whole life then. Well good for you it's never ever happened.

But you never heard brothers or brother and sister have spats. And friends do not always row in a tame manner either.

I don't know why you can't seem to understand the point , that people do say things to and about people they care about. Because everyone get's angry or stroppy and that's where they direct there anger sometimes. This is well known.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Nothing violent sounding your whole life then. Well good for you it's never ever happened.

But you never heard brothers or brother and sister have spats. And friends do not always row in a tame manner either.

I don't know why you can't seem to understand the point , that people do say things to and about people they care about. Because everyone get's angry or stroppy and that's where they direct there anger sometimes. This is well known.

Oh, I understand what you've been trying to say. I just don't agree that is what's happened here. I don't think she cares all that much about Christopher at all.

I also understand that you're trying to compare sibling rivalry 'spats' with a girl saying that she'd like to put the head of someone she met a few weeks back through a mirror.

We've got different viewpoints on the matter, simple as that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, I understand what you've been trying to say. I just don't agree that is what's happened here. I don't think she cares all that much about Christopher at all.

I also understand that you're trying to compare sibling rivalry 'spats' with a girl saying that she'd like to put the head of someone she met a few weeks back through a mirror.

We've got different viewpoints on the matter, simple as that.
    Ok whether you think she cares or not about him is your view obviously. But Mark said to Christopher , she loves the bones of you. I'd say he knows better than any of us.

Yes it is that simple. Agreed.
  • Options
    td1983td1983 Posts: 2,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BIGM0MMA wrote: »
    It's everything like that.

People have now condoned Ashleighs behaviour and attack on Christopher by saying "they're friends" and, "but Conor hated Deana". So what people are saying is that certain threats & outbursts are acceptable based on friendship status.

Sounds like a poor excuse when you dissect it.

I agree with you, OP, I was thinking the same thing last night, although they did handle it correctly, as with the Conor situation. There's no point in arguing with this lot, though, believe me, I know! I do like Ashleigh, though. Not so keen on Christopher, mind.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ok whether you think she cares or not about him is your view obviously. But Mark said to Christopher , she loves the bones of you. I'd say he knows better than any of us.

Yes it is that simple. Agreed.

At least we're agreed on us having our opinions. :)

As for Mark, he says 'loves the bones of everyone' about everyone, and I really don't trust a great deal of what he says at all.
  • Options
    Bagshot85Bagshot85 Posts: 8,248
    Forum Member
    BIGM0MMA wrote: »
    So Conor in reference to Deana and an epilator, said he would "Stick it up her f**king m**ge".

Last night we heard Ashleigh say she would "smash Christophers head through a mirror" before calling him a "d*ck". Ash has bore the brunt of calling Jale a maggot since time began but seemingly Ashleighs behaviour & language has been somewhat glossed over - why?

Wonder if the reaction would have been different if those comments were said by a male housemates, rather than a pretty young girl.
  • Options
    Scarlet O'HaraScarlet O'Hara Posts: 6,933
    Forum Member

I must agree, I wouldn't say those things after a minor altercation. I may have said something violent (but meaningless) in a towering rage after a huge row (e.g. "argh, i feel like slapping him!") though.

Then again, I rarely feel compelled to call people "f***ing disgusting", "slag", " f***ing d***h**d", "prick", " f***ing monkey", "f***ing arsehole" and the umpteen other delightfully abusive slurs that have tripped off Ashleigh's tongue over the weeks. What a gal.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At least we're agreed on us having our opinions. :)

As for Mark, he says 'loves the bones of everyone' about everyone, and I really don't trust a great deal of what he says at all.
    Does he not sure everyone. But either way only Ashleigh and Christopher really know what there friendship is like.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    digiqueen wrote: »

:)That's my thought on it too, especially as Christopher himself said to Chris something along the lines of

I wasn't that bothered by what she said, I just wanted to teach her a lesson.

Fair enough.

For me, one of the worst aspects of Conor's apparent 'hate' for a fellow h/m, was that, apart from the shocking content in his vitriol, Deana had no idea what he'd done, and I think that made the incident worse.

Also, the fact that several other h/m (Caroline etc) heard the rant, and laughed. Perhaps it was nervous laughter, or they didn't quite hear, but even thinking about it now makes my skin crawl.