Options

Islamic State Milliants Behead U.S Reporter

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 31
    Forum Member
    bollywood wrote: »
    I apologize if you posted on this subject already.

How horrified were you by the murder of the journalist?

Is there anything you think moderate Muslims can do to stop extremism!

I was disgusted when I first read what had happened. My words can't really do justice to how it made me feel.

I was brought up in a Muslim house (to an extent, my parents don't really follow all aspects of their religion but are much more religious than I am, admittedly that's not difficult as I aren't religious lol) and these actions are not anything remotely close to the things I was taught about Islam or fellow Muslims. They are warped, sick and twisted interpretations.

I don't know what Muslims can do to stop IS but what I do know is that Muslims alone will not stop them. They are killing Muslims as well as the American they murdered. It has to be a joint effort from both Muslims and non-Muslims, it can't be one or the other in my opinion.
  • Options
    hansuehansue Posts: 14,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This article in The Spectator throws some light on the topic:

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/douglas-murray/2014/01/is-the-startling-rise-in-muslim-infants-as-positive-as-the-times-suggests/

The comments section pretty much mirrors the debates on DS.

Its worrying but Im not surprised. If this was publicised more I think it would shock people but the trouble is with us we will become the minority and then wonder why. We are far too accepting and afraid to stand up and be counted.
  • Options
    FlibustierFlibustier Posts: 994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kapellmeister, you are a true warrior. The crap that must have been thrown to you over the years by liberals boggles the mind - and yet you are still coherent, post facts and polite. You sir are everything people in this country should try and imitate. Logic, manners and intelligence.
  • Options
    hansuehansue Posts: 14,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AsimMalik wrote: »
    I was disgusted when I first read what had happened. My words can't really do justice to how it made me feel.

I was brought up in a Muslim house (to an extent, my parents don't really follow all aspects of their religion but are much more religious than I am, admittedly that's not difficult as I aren't religious lol) and these actions are not anything remotely close to the things I was taught about Islam or fellow Muslims. They are warped, sick and twisted interpretations.

I don't know what Muslims can do to stop IS but what I do know is that Muslims alone will not stop them. They are killing Muslims as well as the American they murdered. It has to be a joint effort from both Muslims and non-Muslims, it can't be one or the other in my opinion.

I would like to say Asim that I think you are to be applaued to come on here and put your point across. It is you and people like you that are welcome in this country because you have embraced our society. Lets hope you are in the majority and there is no need for us to be alarmed but unfortunately I cant believe that and I do feel that our country is being taken over and we are letting it happen.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    hansue wrote: »
    I would like to say Asim that I think you are to be applaued to come on here and put your point across. It is you and people like you that are welcome in this country because you have embraced our society. Lets hope you are in the majority and there is no need for us to be alarmed but unfortunately I cant believe that and I do feel that our country is being taken over and we are letting it happen.

I know I'm welcome here, I was born in this country lol. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You don't need to come here and justify yourself. That's a really good post.
  • Options
    iris beaconiris beacon Posts: 387
    Forum Member
    jesaya wrote: »
    Yes there were - just one example about the 19thC.

"People spoke of second and third generation Irish as "Irish Cockneys" and the Police – even with a large number of Irishmen in their own ranks - were often wary of entering some of the poorer Irish districts."

http://www.oldbaileyonline.org/static/London-life19th.jsp

Much of the anti-Irish sentiment was based on their Catholic faith - which at the time was viewed just as negatively as Islam is by many today.

Same with West Indians - areas like Hackney and Toxteth in Liverpool, as well as parts of Manchester and other inner-city slums suffered from 'no-go' areas for decades from the 1960s-1990s and beyond.

It's no good ignoring history - we need to learn from it and work on helping the Muslim community integrate just as others have - second and third generations can cause new problems - that happened in the past too. What we can't do is throw our hands up and say 'we can't solve this with the Muslims' because we can and we must.

What kind of "help", though? Or more to the point, what kind of "help" do you propose that hasn't already been tried before, and will actually work?

People - including Muslims - have already tried every which way to help the Muslim community integrate. Their attempts are often met with rebuffs and accusations of "Islamophobia." On the flip side, Muslims who do wish to integrate may be afraid of saying so because they fear repercussions from their own communities.

Then there's the fact that other communities didn't need to be "helped" to integrate. Vast amounts of public funds were not spent helping Hindus or Sikhs or Ba'hais or Jewish people to "integrate." By and large, they didn't need it.

19th century Britain was a different animal altogether. People weren't often used to encountering people from a different county, let alone a different country. This probably explains in part the enmity towards Irish Catholics. People were more likely to be suspicious of other cultures without good reason in those days, because they were generally less well-travelled and had fewer opportunities to meet with people outside their own communities.

Now the UK is a diverse and mostly accepting place, and British people are diverse, often well-travelled and mostly accepting of others. Yet despite all of this, many are still wary of Muslims. Why Muslims, and not, say, the Sikh or Chinese communities? Maybe there are valid reasons for the lack of trust?

Those who wish to integrate need a safe space to come out and say so, in order that they can be helped. Those who don't, particularly those who are defiantly aligned against British values and in favour of the ideologies pushed by the likes of IS, need to leave.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I just hope people realise that you are typical of a British Muslim, that this is how the majority of Muslims feel. I also hope they realise that their fear of Islam and knee-jerk responses hurts people like you, when you're not a part of what makes them scared.

I think what you say about Muslims and non-Muslims needing to fight together is the most sense anyone has yet had to say on this.

I also think you're either brave or mad to join up and choose to start posting on this thread about this topic, but either way, you're pretty fantastic :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Odd Socks wrote: »
    I just hope people realise that you are typical of a British Muslim, that this is how the majority of Muslims feel. I also hope they realise that their fear of Islam and knee-jerk responses hurts people like you, when you're not a part of what makes them scared.

I think what you say about Muslims and non-Muslims needing to fight together is the most sense anyone has yet had to say on this.

I also think you're either brave or mad to join up and choose to start posting on this thread about this topic, but either way, you're pretty fantastic :D

After all these years I am used to it now lol. Growing up I was the wrong colour to be British from my fellow Brits and not Muslim enough to be Muslim from my fellow Muslims, very confusing times lol.

To be honest I wasn't going to bother but when I saw people labelling all of us as vermin it riled me a little bit and then it took AGES to be able to post. I'm glad I did though now :)
  • Options
    MeercamMeercam Posts: 1,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A warning from the Archbishop of Mosul
    "Our sufferings today are the prelude of those you, Europeans and Western Christians, will also suffer in the near future.
    You must take strong and courageous decisions, even at the cost of contradicting your principles. You think all men are equal," Archbishop Amel Nona continues, "but that is not true: Islam does not say that all men are equal. Your values are not their values. If you do not understand this soon enough, you will become the victims of the enemy you have welcomed in your home."

http://www.archbishop-cranmer.blogspot.co.uk/2014/08/archbishop-of-mosul-your-liberal-and.html
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    After all these years I am used to it now lol. Growing up I was the wrong colour to be British from my fellow Brits and not Muslim enough to be Muslim from my fellow Muslims, very confusing times lol.

To be honest I wasn't going to bother but when I saw people labelling all of us as vermin it riled me a little bit and then it took AGES to be able to post. I'm glad I did though now :)

I have friends who have the same issues, being that sort of inbetween, neither Muslim or British. I hope the next generation can accept British Muslims, just normal, ordinary people like you.

I'm glad you posted too. It's easy to see how people do get angry and how their fear gets the better of them, so they want to create division to protect themselves, but they're playing straight into the hands of the likes of ISIS. Anger is what causes war and terrorism, division is a wonderful tactic.

I do feel for British Muslims at the moment. They speak up for their religion against what's going on they're supporting the terrorists, they keep quiet, they're supporting the terrorists. I think we need to be much more inclusive of British Muslims right now, listen to them and hear their thoughts because the vast majority don't want this shit any more than the white British do. They have a far more clear understanding of how the religion can drive extremism and where it starts than the guesswork going on.

Welcome to the forums, and enjoy your baptism of fire ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    Why do you keep resorting to such hyperbole?

Did you know that a poll carried out by YouGov in the wake of the London bombings found that around 100,000 'British' muslims fully supported the attacks?

24% of 'British' muslims were sympathetic towards the bombers' motives.

32% of 'British' muslims agreed with the statement that "Western society is decadent and immoral and that Muslims should seek to bring it to an end". 1% (about 16,000 people) believed such "an end" should be brought about through violence.

Around 25% said they wouldn't inform the police if they knew of an upcoming terrorist attack.

Less than 50% said they would report an imam to the police for attempting to radicalise kids into attacking the West.

So don't talk to me about "extreme right wing members".

If it is perfectly acceptable to talk about "lefties" and "liberal loons" then it's fine to talk about extreme right wing members.

Besides, I hold some right wing views myself as do many others. But I consider those who hold views that are way, way right wing such as internment camps, removal of free speech, that all Muslims support extremism etc. to be extreme right wing.

They aren't just people with some right wing views, we all I would think hold some right wing views, they are at the extreme end of the right bordering on Fascism though when they call for those more extreme measures.

So I shall continue to call them extreme right wingers, as I have a feeling many who regard themselves as right wing think internment camps etc, are too extreme as well.

And with that, I'm off to bed.
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member

I'm sorry but that's wrong for a start. Around 86% of 16-24-year-old British muslims claim that Islam is the most important thing in their life. Around 40% of that age group want to live under Sharia Law.

Our DS friend has already said they aren't fussed about Islam. That immediately makes them atypical not typical. Don't try passing somebody off as something they're not.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm sorry but that's wrong for a start. Around 86% of 16-24-year-old British muslims claim that Islam is the most important thing in their life. Around 40% of that age group want to live under Sharia Law.

Our DS friend has already said they aren't fussed about Islam. That immediately makes them atypical not typical. Don't try passing somebody off as something they're not.

Obviously not saying you are wrong but do you have a link to the polls that show this?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Most religious people consider their religion as the most important thing in their life, that's what religion does. He didn't say he's not fussed about Islam but about the burka.

So don't try using figures to make invalid points and speak for any subset of people. I think 'our DS friend is far more highly qualified to give a genuine insight than you with your statistics.
  • Options
    vosnevosne Posts: 14,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Flibustier wrote: »
    Kapellmeister, you are a true warrior. The crap that must have been thrown to you over the years by liberals boggles the mind - and yet you are still coherent, post facts and polite. You sir are everything people in this country should try and imitate. Logic, manners and intelligence.

You're a trier, I'll give you that ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Most religious people consider their religion as the most important thing in their life, that's what religion does. He didn't say he's not fussed about Islam but about the burka.

So don't try using figures to make invalid points and speak for any subset of people. I think 'our DS friend is far more highly qualified to give a genuine insight than you with your statistics.

Most religious people? Who is exactly is most religious people? Most white British are passive post Christians with little regard for practicing religion. To compare that to moderate mulsims beliefs is like comparing Amsterdam to Mosul. Why would you do that?

Do you think trying to pretend the problem is a figment of our imagination is helping? This is too transparent.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I have just googled the statistics and found this BBC page from 2007, http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/6309983.stm

"62% of 16 to 24-year-olds feel they have as much in common with non-Muslims as Muslims, compared with 71% of over-55s"

"60% of Muslims would prefer to send their children to a mixed state school, compared with 35% who would prefer to send their child to an Islamic school"

"37% of 16 to 24-year-olds would prefer to send their children to Islamic state schools, compared with 19% of over-55s"

"59% of Muslims would prefer to live under British law, compared with 28% who would prefer to live under Sharia law"

"75% believe it was wrong for a council to ban an advertisement for a Christmas carol service in 2003 for fear of causing tension"

"64% believe it was wrong for a council to ban all images of pigs from its offices, for example on calendars and toys in 2005, for fear of offending Muslims"

Just a few of the positives that came from the poll of 1000 people.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Most religious people? Who is exactly is most religious people? Most white British are passive post Christians with little regard for practicing religion. To compare that to moderate mulsims beliefs is like comparing Amsterdam to Mosul. Why would you do that?

Do you think trying to pretend the problem is a figment of our imagination is helping? This is too transparent.

Paragraph one, I'd like to respond to but it's like the ravings of a drunk. You take umbrage with my use of the word 'most' then immediately use the word 'most' in a similar context to argue the point. The rest of it is just odd so I'll leave it there.

I'm not pretending anything is a figment of anyone's imagination, so wind your neck in. Nobody is denying there is a real and serious problem here, so again, you're making little sense.

People like you are a massive part of the problem, you don't get it though do you? When British Muslims are faced with the stuff they are, they're not British enough, they should all go home, their religion should be banned, they're vermin, they're going to get pissed and disillusioned. These are the people the likes of ISIS prey on, you've done their preparatory work for them. ISIS accepts them and they get to stick two fingers up at the discrimination they've faced. If they had nothing to fight against, who would ISIS recruit?

There's nothing at all wrong about a zero tolerance policy on extremism. There is everything wrong with creating a society that sets up our citizens to be so easily turned against us. There is everything wrong with not differentiating between extremism and the moderately religious.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Firstly, watch your mouth and watch your stereotypical strawman bull crap that is common wth your demented kind.

I do not believe muslims are vermin. I don't know anyone who does.
    I do not believe muslims should go home? Where ever that is.
    I do not like strawman crap, no matter how much someone like you feels you need to shove it down people's throats.

You are part of the problem. You do not have the intelligence to comprehend it should not be up to Britain to convince a resident population to love the country more than their religion and religious ideology which often flies in the face of our values. People should be kind and logical. When you arrive in someone else's country, you show respect. You get all the benefits of that country and all the protection you need to eat, sleep and make a living, you don't attempt to terraform the country to your religious tastes - that is called invasion, not immigration. People have spotted this and they are now voting accordingly to make sure apologists like yourself stay clear of policy.

I do not blame the moderate muslims who sympathize with ISIS. I blame nasty deranged liberals who have been stiffing the debate for decades accusing others of racism and using ridiculous strawman arguments to make sure the subject is never debated until there is a beheading or islamic take over of our schools.

On religious issues a poll reported that 36% of 16-24 year olds believe if a Muslim converts to another religion they should be punished by death, compared to 19% of 55+ year old Muslims.

That is a disgusting statistic to exist in the UK.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Firstly, watch your mouth and watch your stereotypical strawman bull crap that is common wth your demented kind.

I do not believe muslims are vermin. I don't know anyone who does.
    I do not believe muslims should go home? Where ever that is.
    I do not like strawman crap, no matter how much someone like you feels you need to shove it down people's throats.

You are part of the problem. You do not have the intelligence to comprehend it should not be up to Britain to convince a resident population to love the country more than their religion. People should be kind and logical. When you arrive in someone elses country, you show respect. You get all the benefits, you don't attempt to terraform the country to your religious tastes - that is called invasion, not immigration.

I do not blame the moderate muslims who sympathize with ISIS. I blame nasty deranged liberals who have been stiffing the debate for decades accusing others of racism and using ridiculous strawman arguments.

I think I was right first time. Raving drunk. I bloody hope you're raving drunk at least.
  • Options
    Flat MattFlat Matt Posts: 7,023
    Forum Member

I'm interested to know why you keep referring to yourself as a Muslim.

You have said that you are not religious, so surely, you are not a Muslim, since Muslims are those who follow Islam.

I was christened as a baby, but I am in no way religious and I certainly don't refer to myself as a Christian.
  • Options
    jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If they had nothing to fight against, who would ISIS recruit?
    Sorry but you are very naive if you think people join IS because they are 'oppressed' in some way by white europeans. What about the IS volunteers from Bangladesh, Pakistan, Saudi, Yemen etc. etc.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jzee wrote: »
    Sorry but you are very naive if you think people join IS because they are 'oppressed' in some way by white europeans. What about the IS volunteers from Bangladesh, Pakistan, Saudi, Yemen etc. etc.

I don't think it's anything but a part of the reason. There's more reasons than we know of. However, right here, right now we can only deal with what's happening on our soil. 2,000 British Muslims are estimated to be out there and we need to deal with that. As well as deal with it, we also need to look at making damn sure another 2,000 don't get into it.

There is a hard line needs to be drawn, we need to change as a nation. It involves acknowledging mistakes from both sides, that there has been too much freedom, there has also been too much hate.
  • Options
    Flat MattFlat Matt Posts: 7,023
    Forum Member
    Paragraph one, I'd like to respond to but it's like the ravings of a drunk. You take umbrage with my use of the word 'most' then immediately use the word 'most' in a similar context to argue the point. The rest of it is just odd so I'll leave it there.

I'm not pretending anything is a figment of anyone's imagination, so wind your neck in. Nobody is denying there is a real and serious problem here, so again, you're making little sense.

People like you are a massive part of the problem, you don't get it though do you? When British Muslims are faced with the stuff they are, they're not British enough, they should all go home, their religion should be banned, they're vermin, they're going to get pissed and disillusioned. These are the people the likes of ISIS prey on, you've done their preparatory work for them. ISIS accepts them and they get to stick two fingers up at the discrimination they've faced. If they had nothing to fight against, who would ISIS recruit?

There's nothing at all wrong about a zero tolerance policy on extremism. There is everything wrong with creating a society that sets up our citizens to be so easily turned against us. There is everything wrong with not differentiating between extremism and the moderately religious.

How exactly are indigenous British people a part of the problem? No one apart from a few casual racists had an issue with Muslims until 9/11 and the many Islamic terrorist atrocities that have occurred since then.

Any negativity towards Muslims has been in response to the actions of Islamic terrorists from this country and aspects of Islam that are at odds with our morals and values.

Hindus, Sikhs, Buddhists and Jews aren't beheading people, planting bombs, hacking soldiers to death in the street, trying to impose sharia law, preaching hatred in schools and mosques etc.

We have a growing problem with Islamic fundamentalism in this country and I'd say the public have been incredibly tolerant of the situation and supportive of Muslims who do not subscribe to extremist views all things considered.

Millions of UK citizens were opposed to the invasions of Iraq and Afghanistan and those feelings have been made known very vociferously. What exactly are British citizens supposed to do and for how much longer do we have to put up with the murderous threat of Islamic fundamentalists in our own damn country before we have the right to be pissed off?