Options

Worst advert on TV at the moment (Part 11)

Comments

• Options
    sausagesandwichsausagesandwich Posts: 2,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Toyota Yaris

Once again the cliche of young people laughing and singing and driving round some quaint city (Tallinn? Prague?) at high speed with not another car or pedestrian in sight.

Since the sort of young people who would drive like that are either
    a) rich and therefore would not buy a poky little car like the Yaris; or
    b) ordinary and therefore could not afford it

I am left pondering who on earth is going to be influenced to buy one?

Still, as the ad agency did not do a stroke of creative work, presumably it was cheap to make.
  • Options
    TelenautTelenaut Posts: 223
    Forum Member
    Cathedral City are running the annoying "coming home" advert again, this time with even worse music.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it me or has that Sunlife advert with Parkinson been around for years now? They've cut bits out and super-imposed more modern gifts on the ad, but it's still the same thing. Are they going to keep using it until he's dead?!

Blimey, I thought he was dead. Really must get out more.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 253
    Forum Member
    Toyota Yaris

Once again the cliche of young people laughing and singing and driving round some quaint city (Tallinn? Prague?) at high speed with not another car or pedestrian in sight.

Since the sort of young people who would drive like that are either
    a) rich and therefore would not buy a poky little car like the Yaris; or
    b) ordinary and therefore could not afford it

I am left pondering who on earth is going to be influenced to buy one?

Still, as the ad agency did not do a stroke of creative work, presumably it was cheap to make.

I think the market is the same as the Fiat 500 ie., a present for "Daddy's little girl" when they pass their A-levels ;-)
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Blimey, I thought he was dead. Really must get out more.

No he's just been supporting Cliff.
  • Options
    Duffman2000Duffman2000 Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Direct Line insurance adverts. They have been using exactly the same song for some time now, and quite frankly, I no longer particularly like the song because of how often Direct Line have used it. :mad: Bring back the ones that used the violin style tune!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    4Dman wrote: »
    I think the market is the same as the Fiat 500 ie., a present for "Daddy's little girl" when they pass their A-levels ;-)

Ah, then I am out of touch. When I was 18 the only wheels I could afford were those of a Honda 90c scooter and there was no parental aid.
  • Options
    Ancient IDTVAncient IDTV Posts: 10,195
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ten from Len

Dreadful stuff. Cringeworthy.
  • Options
    Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    The Renault ad where a fish escapes from its bowl and heads for the sea. The ad says "Capture life", not something a freshwater fish would do in a salt water environment.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That one with the small, squeaky voiced girl is annoying. Can't really understand what she says. Something to do with clothes I think.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Suzuki - I put a spell on you
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The one I hate is the VW advert that says "drive confident" rather than "drive confidently"

It really grates on me. I would never buy one on principle.
  • Options
    Emma_HenveyEmma_Henvey Posts: 9,895
    Forum Member
    Is it just me who hates the magic eraser ad???
  • Options
    johartukjohartuk Posts: 11,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Justabloke wrote: »
    Is that woman an actual "celebrity" or supposed to be pretending to be a "celebrity" :confused: I don't *really* care either way I'm just curious.

According to the caption, she's an 'Actress/Laundry Expert':confused:
  • Options
    IzzySIzzyS Posts: 11,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't like the car advert that shows a young couple arguing and then the driver (a guy) sends some apology message to the car which is read out by a robotic sounding voice, which leads to the passenger (a girl) cracking up with laughter. Oh so whatever was the matter was instantly forgiven because he can get the car to apologise on his behalf and thats like really clever and obviously really impresses her and makes her giggly - what the flaming heck? ugh. Its a bit sexist or something - I just don't like it. Cringeworthy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ten from Len

Dreadful stuff. Cringeworthy.

'Farmfoods - it gets a ten from Len' :D yeah right! when does he ever shop there, you reckon? at least I could actually picture Ricky Tomlinson shopping there :blush:

They played that ad during an advert break when they showed that Secrets from the Clink show the other week, where Len Goodman learnt about a relative that was incarcerated, which was quite serious and then suddenly he's advertising Farmfoods - whatever next?! (lol).
  • Options
    Steffan_LeachSteffan_Leach Posts: 4,669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My most disliked advert is the o2 one "be more dog" (whats that supposed to even mean?)

I think it is slightly offensive to cat owners because it portrays cats as creatures who just stay indoors and sleep all day and dogs as being lively and exiting. Not true. Granted, cats sleep a lot, and dogs are more lively with the barking and jumping up etc, but this doesnt make them better like the advert suggests.

Cats go out far more than dogs, and can be lively in a different way. I have a big fat lazy tabby cat, 5 years old, neutered, male. Yes he sleeps a lot, but no way is his life boring. He often comes home with dead mice and birds, and loves to go out at dusk. He is a loveable cat, and I would never ever trade him for any dog.

My brothers dog is more lively, but he is too lively! He is big, he constantly jumps up at me, gives me no peace.

Do I really want to "be more dog"? I dont think so.. Id rather be more cat thanks.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That O2 advert is very gimmicky - I'm not sure who it appeals to, though personally I do prefer dogs to cats but even so(!).
  • Options
    China GirlChina Girl Posts: 2,765
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I hate that ad, the voice on that is excruciating to listen to.
    Who is it ? and why the need to speak like that ?
  • Options
    TellystarTellystar Posts: 12,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gladstone Brooks
    The man's voice has a supercilious, sneering tone-"not interested?"
  • Options
    Angela FAngela F Posts: 3,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apologies if it's already been mentioned but the one which really gets on my wick at the moment is the one for Blackpool with that irritating boy.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is it possible for Werthers to please pay for a new advert?
    Whatumecallit Farms foods not only look unappetising but Corbett's voice makes my fillings rattle.
  • Options
    nesparoonesparoo Posts: 1,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The current Go Compare campaign - based entirely on the fact that that Welsh place happens to end in .. gogogoch - is an absolute turkey.

Almost as bad, in fact, as Money Supermarket's ongoing but ultimately doomed quest to introduce 'You're so Money Supermarket' as a saying that one human being might reasonably say to another.

(Er, ... No)
  • Options
    LilSoapyFangirlLilSoapyFangirl Posts: 155
    Forum Member
    China Girl wrote: »
    I hate that ad, the voice on that is excruciating to listen to.
    Who is it ? and why the need to speak like that ?

Personally, I wouldn't mind buying and trying out that stuff if I got my hands on one, but I feel I have to admit, I'm starting to get quite irritated by the guy in the ad the way he speaks, same as you.

So far, gladly, I haven't seen it in a few days and it's not too constant either.
    That's fine by me then.:cool:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 85
    Forum Member
    My most disliked advert is the o2 one "be more dog" (whats that supposed to even mean?)

I think it is slightly offensive to cat owners because it portrays cats as creatures who just stay indoors and sleep all day and dogs as being lively and exiting. Not true. Granted, cats sleep a lot, and dogs are more lively with the barking and jumping up etc, but this doesnt make them better like the advert suggests.

Cats go out far more than dogs, and can be lively in a different way. I have a big fat lazy tabby cat, 5 years old, neutered, male. Yes he sleeps a lot, but no way is his life boring. He often comes home with dead mice and birds, and loves to go out at dusk. He is a loveable cat, and I would never ever trade him for any dog.

My brothers dog is more lively, but he is too lively! He is big, he constantly jumps up at me, gives me no peace.

Do I really want to "be more dog"? I dont think so.. Id rather be more cat thanks.

Agreed! My 2 cats are pretty hyper anyway, also, what on earth does any of the ad have to do with mobile phones?
This discussion has been closed.