Options

Have you done the Ice Bucket Challenge?

Comments

• Options
    bollywoodbollywood Posts: 67,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wuthering wrote: »
    Memes like this seem to be mainly about people backpatting each other and getting to show off how what a wonderful person they are in a very big way. The cause seems secondary a lot of the time.

That was the point, wasn't it. They get to show off and alsa gets money.
  • Options
    Alan1981Alan1981 Posts: 5,416
    Forum Member
    I didn't even know it was for charity until I saw a news article on Bill Gates doing it. Until then it has just been drunk people having ice water poured over their heads on facebook. No mention of any charity or donations.

Altruism is dead.
  • Options
    artnadaartnada Posts: 10,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've just been challenged...for the 3rd time. Each time I get challenged I ask the challenger why they did it. NONE of them knew why they were doing it, apart from "well it's funny".

As the previous poster said, no mention of any charity or donations or what it was for. As has been the case for almost all the ice bucket challenges I've seen.

I suspect that most people do not even know, it's suppose to raise donations to a charity, at all.

So, no. I have not, and will not be doing it. I'd rather just quietly donate to a charity of my choice, than shout to the rooftops.
  • Options
    SchmiznurfSchmiznurf Posts: 4,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, because i'm not an attention seeker who needs people to clap him on the back for doing something for charity.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cjsmummy wrote: »
    Absolutely. It's disgraceful, and also a bit scary seeing all these videos of "omg that's cold aren't I such a good person cuz I did it for ermmm..charteeee!"

I absolutely think there's a lot who are just doing this because they want fit in with the rest of the world that's doing it. They want to be part of that group that's following each other. Giving money to charity is good, it's just the "I'm doing this because they've done it, no matter how ridiculous and stupid it is" thing that I can't understand.
  • Options
    Duffman2000Duffman2000 Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only person I thought looked even remotely funny doing this challenge was President Obama's predecessor - George W Bush! :D Would love to see President Obama try it! :cool:
  • Options
    SherbetLemonSherbetLemon Posts: 4,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would love to see President Obama try it! :cool:
    He's declined, sensible guy. Made a donation instead.

It's far too bloody cold here to even think about it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bollywood wrote: »
    That was the point, wasn't it. They get to show off and alsa gets money.
    They only get money if people actually donate, of which most do not even know "why" they're doing it.

Doing an ice bucket challenge on Facebook doesn't get them a single penny/cent and certainly does not raise awareness of the charity if nobody actually mentions the charity!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I would have gladly done it during my visit to Warsaw, Poland a few weeks ago, as the temperature there and around Poland in general felt unbearable at times! :eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm glad Obama didn't join in with the latest daft craze.
  • Options
    Mrs TeapotMrs Teapot Posts: 124,896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    I'm glad Obama didn't join in with the latest daft craze.

I bet George Bush wouldn't have done it, was he still president. :p
  • Options
    StrmChaserSteveStrmChaserSteve Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Man v Ice Bucket Challenge

he saw God

http://www.twitch.tv/manvsgame/c/4963323
  • Options
    Doctor_WibbleDoctor_Wibble Posts: 26,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    artnada wrote: »
    Doing an ice bucket challenge on Facebook doesn't get them a single penny/cent and certainly does not raise awareness of the charity if nobody actually mentions the charity!!
    I don't know how to go about counting the videos on facebook but youtube give 790,000 when you type "ice bucket challenge".
    From the most recent figure ($41m) in the thread, that works out at about $52 per video.

Are videos posted on facebook e.g. embedded from (and therefore listed on) youtube or is there a completely separate total to add in?

If it has worked for publicity that's a good thing, I'm just waiting for the first arrest caused by the coercion of an unwilling participant - though one might argue this is the entire premise of the original challenge itself...
  • Options
    angelafisherangelafisher Posts: 4,150
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not a challenge I'm up for, but a friend of mine posted a video of her doing it...with a thimble. As she said, nobody specified the size of the bucket.

I just wish that a dementia charity would be the focus of such an successful fundraising campaign. My mother in law has advanced dementia (weeks to live now) and was fastracked (their actual words) from the ward in a local NHS hospital to a care home as she was "bed blocking" (again, their words). Yep, why should she take a bed in an NHS system that she worked full time to pay into, as did her husband. The attitude to the elderly with or without dementia/Alzheimers is horrendous, just horrendous.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bet George Bush wouldn't have done it, was he still president. :p

That's a bet you'll never know the result of.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not a challenge I'm up for, but a friend of mine posted a video of her doing it...with a thimble. As she said, nobody specified the size of the bucket.

I just wish that a dementia charity would be the focus of such an successful fundraising campaign. My mother in law has advanced dementia (weeks to live now) and was fastracked (their actual words) from the ward in a local NHS hospital to a care home as she was "bed blocking" (again, their words). Yep, why should she take a bed in an NHS system that she worked full time to pay into, as did her husband. The attitude to the elderly with or without dementia/Alzheimers is horrendous, just horrendous.

A thimble's not a bucket.
  • Options
    epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They only get money if people actually donate, of which most do not even know "why" they're doing it.

How do you know most don't know why they're doing it? All of my friends on Facebook who've posted videos have mentioned the charity and the ALS charity itself has raised more than 50 million dollars from more than a million new donors since they started tracking the campaign's progress in late July, which is I believe more that double what they received in the entire previous year.

Idiots will be idiots no matter what they're doing. In fact I've seen incurious curmudgeons in these threads complain they don't know what the campaign is for despite links in the threads and and google at their fingertips. But despite them I don't see how anyone can argue the campaign hasn't been a huge success for ALS charities.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Where are you getting these crazy ideas from?

Like most people don't know why they are doing it?

There are many videos saying ALS, alsa, I'm donating.

Are people who follow Facebook too stupid to look up an acronym?

Don't answer that.:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Where are you getting these crazy ideas from?

Like most people don't know why they are doing it?

There are many videos saying ALS, alsa, I'm donating.

Are people who follow Facebook too stupid to look up an acronym?

Don't answer that.:D

On ALL the videos I've seen, (on my Facebook feed) not one has mentioned ALS/ALSA or even mentioning the donation.

Maybe it's a UK thing, because on the US ones, there seems to be more of the "ALS Ice Bucket Challenge" rather than just "Ice bucket challenge"?
  • Options
    Doctor_WibbleDoctor_Wibble Posts: 26,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    epicurian wrote: »
    ... incurious curmudgeons in these threads ...
    *waves*

Actually I was going to refer to a previous post I made in this thread, then got paranoid because it looked like it had been culled, then realised that this is actually a completely different thread but on the same subject.
    The one I *thought* I was looking at => The ALS Ice Bucket Challenge - Good Idea or Not?

So I wonder if others are also unsure.

At first there was no explanation in that thread as to what ALS is, and the first reference to motor neurone disease was my tentative suggestion that they might be the same, but all I got in response to that was a somewhat haughty order to read the links and a pasted description of ALS which again didn't appear to mention motor neurones and my implicit question didn't get a civil answer.

All anyone had to say was 'ALS is the US name for motor neurone disease' and possibly also 'ALSA is a US charity'.
    If people want support for something it's a good idea to be clear on what it is, and if there are those who don't know, then it's also a good idea to be clear, and certainly without some of the attitude that seems to appear from time to time.

On the one hand this is the US-based ALS charity, but what if one gives to the UK-based MND charity instead? Would that be wrong, even though they are working on the same thing? Is the US organisation linked with the UK one, or is the UK one going to suffer because everybody will now think they'e done their bit for that particular cause?

To be clear, giving (time/effort/money) to charity is a good thing, my concern right now is to avoid the inevitable crucifixion for daring to ask questions that I think aren't particularly contentious.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On ALL the videos I've seen, (on my Facebook feed) not one has mentioned ALS/ALSA or even mentioning the donation.

Maybe it's a UK thing, because on the US ones, there seems to be more of the "ALS Ice Bucket Challenge" rather than just "Ice bucket challenge"?

If you look at the videos on this thread it is mentioned.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you look at the videos on this thread it is mentioned.
    ".....on MY Facebook feed"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ".....on MY Facebook feed"

Aren't UK celeb videos posted on Facebook?

It became famous fairly quickly.

Even or especially as far away as Australia and New Zealand.

I'm seeing Steven Gerrard among others and he clearly says ALS.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aren't UK celeb videos posted on Facebook?

It became famous fairly quickly.

Even or especially as far away as Australia and New Zealand.
    Depends if you follow UK celebs on FB ;)