Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 61)

Comments

• Options
    JustChrisMJustChrisM Posts: 415
    Forum Member
    Does anyone know why next week's New Tricks is being shown at a separate time in Northern Ireland?

There's a show called 'Ceasefire' on from 9pm - 10pm in NI on Monday.

http://www.radiotimes.com/episode/c4htys/ceasefire
    On the 20th anniversary of the 1994 ceasefires in Northern Ireland, this documentary explores the background to those momentous events and the human cost of the final months of the Troubles.
  • Options
    NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 8,635
    Forum Member
    Yes and its on for an hour, I know they are missing Wednesday episode for football but what is the point of having it on for an hour should be a 30 minute ep, from 7;30-8

It's the Monday episodes that are being missed.
  • Options
    rr22rr22 Posts: 7,649
    Forum Member
    An example of where iTV could give "Coronation Street" a break, but instead asks the production team to keep going no break from the routine of 5 episodes a week.
  • Options
    NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 8,635
    Forum Member
    Cestrian18 wrote: »
    Exactly this, the Saturday Schedule was doable but Strictly is big enough to stand on its own two feet, and I think last year in the clashes it showed Strictly doesn't have huge crossover with XF yet Corrie does so it makes sense to me too. It's a very bold move by the beeb though, maybe they can sense this is the time to tackle X Factor, as they don't seem to be scheduling around it which is how it should be. Put a programme on and see if people watch, it shouldn't matter what's on the other side really.

I think there is very significant crossover between SCD and TXF. Many times we have seen that with the BBC One show starting first with a small overlap, the ITV rival is dented quite heavily. (Or have I made that up?)

A full-on clash will be fascinating. I look forward to Samuel's analysis. ;-)
  • Options
    Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    johnnymc wrote: »
    An example of where iTV could give "Coronation Street" a break, but instead asks the production team to keep going no break from the routine of 5 episodes a week.

Like what happens with EastEnders on Children in Need week, or throughout sporting events?

The soaps are contracted to produce a set number if episodes each year.
  • Options
    Philip WilsonPhilip Wilson Posts: 1,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NeilVW wrote: »
    I think there is very significant crossover between SCD and TXF. Many times we have seen that with the BBC One show starting first with a small overlap, the ITV rival is dented quite heavily. (Or have I made that up?)

A full-on clash will be fascinating. I look forward to Samuel's analysis. ;-)

Will be some interesting battles with I assume Coutryfile v Corrie and Strictly v Xfactor, add in + 1 and prepare for battle come Monday morning. :D
  • Options
    H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I predict XF will hold up much better than Corrie would against Strictly. The X Factor should manage 8m while Corrie would drop to around 4.5m
  • Options
    JokanovicJokanovic Posts: 12,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I predict XF will hold up much better than Corrie would against Strictly. The X Factor should manage 8m while Corrie would drop to around 4.5m

Agreed because viewers will just miss an episode as there is always one tomorrow....
    You are never going to miss a complete storyline
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can see the BBC are defiantly gunning for The X Factor this year. 1st Doctor Who is scheduled in a much later slot, now with a new Dr and a huge promotional push. 2nd They schedule the Strictly launch show on a Sunday to affect both weekend episodes of XF. I imagine the next step will be to launch Strictly in the 7pm slot so its extends after 8pm into XF territory.

Both have got elements that might affect their performance, Strictly being with changes to presenters and average line-up and TXF with all new judges and altered format etc. Nobody knows which one is going to come out top. XF could re-surge over 10m and Strictly drop below 9m. I expect what happens this weekend will depend where these two are scheduled for the next few months.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Andy23 wrote: »
    Like what happens with EastEnders on Children in Need week, or throughout sporting events?

The soaps are contracted to produce a set number if episodes each year.

Exactly "EastEnders" should also be skipping episodes.
  • Options
    Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can see the BBC are defiantly gunning for The X Factor this year. 1st Doctor Who is scheduled in a much later slot, now with a new Dr and a huge promotional push. 2nd They schedule the Strictly launch show on a Sunday to affect both weekend episodes of XF. I imagine the next step will be to launch Strictly in the 7pm slot so its extends after 8pm into XF territory.

Both have got elements that might affect their performance, Strictly being with changes to presenters and average line-up and TXF with all new judges and altered format etc. Nobody knows which one is going to come out top. XF could re-surge over 10m and Strictly drop below 9m. I expect what happens this weekend will depend where these two are scheduled for the next few months.

The BBC know that if Strictly is going to drop any year, this year is the most likely, so to ensure this is smoothed over, they are ensuring TXF either rates lower or drops more, so the attention goes elsewhere.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Andy23 wrote: »
    The BBC know that if Strictly is going to drop any year, this year is the most likely, so to ensure this is smoothed over, they are ensuring TXF either rates lower or drops more, so the attention goes elsewhere.

Just as likely to remain steady. There's a refreshed presenting line up which is better and a lot of good celebrities that will be well matched with one another. "Strictly Come Dancing" is unstoppable.
  • Options
    SamuelWSamuelW Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    @Sam_Hodges: Launch show for this year's #StrictlyComeDancing confirmed for Sunday, September 7th at 8pm on @BBCOne

Interesting. I suppose going against X Factor is better than against Corrie (not sure if Corrie has been confirmed), given its audience is older.

Worried it will act as fuel to tabloids looking for "post-Brucie declines" though when it inevitably returns down on last year.
    Great bit of aggressive scheduling against XFactor! love it! The BBC are definitely being more aggressive with their scheduling overall this Autumn and this is another sign of it. There is very little doubt in my mind that SCD will run XF close or even beat it that evening which will result in very bad PR for XF. Either way, XF will have a low audience that night, so job done really.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The bbc are brilliant with the competitive scheduling. Killing off Scott and Bailey with their drama hit of the season Our Zoo. And now damaging xfs ratings. Next, let's hope they put Apprentiice against Downright Shabby on Sundays.
  • Options
    hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,780
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ITV could move The X Factor to 19:00 to avoid SCD, Business sense and all that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ITV could move The X Factor to 19:00 to avoid SCD, Business sense and all that.
    Schedules have already been confirmed. XF is screwed that weekend. Even if it beats SCD, the expectancy will indeed be XF to beat a pre-recorded SCD preview show anyway. But XF will be significantly down wow, will do them a lot of damage.
  • Options
    ScoreScore Posts: 17,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SamuelW wrote: »
    Great bit of aggressive scheduling against XFactor! love it! The BBC are definitely being more aggressive with their scheduling overall this Autumn and this is another sign of it. There is very little doubt in my mind that SCD will run XF close or even beat it that evening which will result in very bad PR for XF. Either way, XF will have a low audience that night, so job done really.

The press are honing in on this battle and if XF wins it then Strictly will gain very bad PR. Strictly will be expected to win given how it won last year. If it doesn't then questions will be asked about how the show will fare without Brucie.

Also Strictly will probably be down on last year's launch which again could get some bad PR.
  • Options
    yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member
    I am sorry but I do not buy either side of the XF/SCD scheduling. If both SCD and DW were to be on Saturday nights there was bound to be some clashes with XF and probably more than we normally expect and thats all this is.
    I have always said the BBC should schedule programs in the best slots as they see it and ignore what ITV do instead of running away as they did with The Voice a couple of years ago.
    8pm on Sunday is a good slot for the SCD launch and as its hardly the biggest show of the series etc and has not rated that well over the last couple of years so they can afford to take a risk with it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think both shows will do fine this year. Both "The X Factor" and "Strictly Come Dancing" look strong. The press interest in the clash and rivalry will only increase publicity for both programmes in the coverage of both shows and bring in big shares for each broadcaster. It had a good effect on the launch of "The Voice UK" when it first challenged "Britain's Got Talent" .
  • Options
    AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yorkie100 wrote: »
    I am sorry but I do not buy either side of the XF/SCD scheduling. If both SCD and DW were to be on Saturday nights there was bound to be some clashes with XF and probably more than we normally expect and thats all this is.
    I have always said the BBC should schedule programs in the best slots as they see it and ignore what ITV do instead of running away as they did with The Voice a couple of years ago.
    8pm on Sunday is a good slot for the SCD launch and as its hardly the biggest show of the series etc and has not rated that well over the last couple of years so they can afford to take a risk with it.

How dare you come on here talking logically and demonstrating common sense. Not on Yorkie, not on! ;-) :D
  • Options
    guestofsethguestofseth Posts: 5,303
    Forum Member
    I think my favourite thing about this thread is how easily people switch between claiming to not take Samuel seriously and acting like he speaks directly for the BBC when it means they can use it to criticise BBC. By favourite I, of course, mean most unbearable. (Edit: Thanks C14E giving the perfect example of this below.)

Exactly, I think this is the best way to give both Strictly and Doctor Who their best slots, try to stick them both on Saturday with Tumble and you risk denting one or even both. Also, I honestly think Strictly would rate lower earlier against Corrie than it would later against X Factor. I'm basing this on some of the result shows in the past few years.
  • Options
    hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,780
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Score wrote: »
    The press are honing in on this battle and if XF wins it then Strictly will gain very bad PR. Strictly will be expected to win given how it won last year. If it doesn't then questions will be asked about how the show will fare without Brucie.

Also Strictly will probably be down on last year's launch which again could get some bad PR.

I be watching SCD anyway, Twitter should be amusing at that time :D
  • Options
    C14EC14E Posts: 32,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SamuelW wrote: »
    The bbc are brilliant with the competitive scheduling. Killing off Scott and Bailey with their drama hit of the season Our Zoo. And now damaging xfs ratings. Next, let's hope they put Apprentiice against Downright Shabby on Sundays.

Three cheers for public service broadcasting at its finest... forget inform, educate and entertain let's dent, damage and destroy.

Countryfile will deliver a big old audience to Strictly in that 8pm slot and many of the old folk watching Corrie will feed right into Strictly as well so they've turned this against itv very well in that regard. Nonetheless, it is the launch show and I'm surprised they're giving itv any opportunity to score a win. Especially as the desire to seem young this year and Bruce's leaving will give the press some easy copy on the subject.

I'm increasingly thinking that Samuel could be thrilled this autumn - this scheduling and all the young casting - I think they'll be running Strictly later than ever.
  • Options
    PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Bergg made a balls up lobbing that hour-long CS into the Sunday 7pm slot. Should have kept it for Tuesday at 8pm, with the Lost Family special at 9pm. No need for a documentary about hot-tubs at 9pm.
    iaindb wrote: »
    He's not down on the IMDB page for the programme.
    Thanks. :)
    cylon6 wrote: »
    Our Zoo looks a more Sunday 8pm than Wednesday 9pm drama.
    That's what I've been thinking after seeing the trails.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Isn't that what ITV do on Tuesday's with an hour long Emmerdale!? Spare episode and it gives them a stronger night than if they put filler at 7:30pm.
This discussion has been closed.