Options

Can you advise me - I'm considering getting a dog for the first time

Comments

• Options
    sweetpeanutsweetpeanut Posts: 4,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had a dog (rescue) she had not been socualised and so barked and growled at other dogs. We were walking along the road one day and someone was walking about 6 grey hounds and my dog just looked at them. I could feel a calmness coming off those dogs and I think that helped her to be calm. I remember thinking those dogs are bloody majestic in their ways.

I would not mind one but way to big for my little home.. Still thinking on getting a toy poodle as everything about me and then seem to fit but want to be very sure before I get one.
  • Options
    JJ75JJ75 Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had a dog (rescue) she had not been socualised and so barked and growled at other dogs. We were walking along the road one day and someone was walking about 6 grey hounds and my dog just looked at them. I could feel a calmness coming off those dogs and I think that helped her to be calm. I remember thinking those dogs are bloody majestic in their ways.

I would not mind one but way to big for my little home.. Still thinking on getting a toy poodle as everything about me and then seem to fit but want to be very sure before I get one.

They fold up small ;-)
  • Options
    riversmumriversmum Posts: 664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JJ75 wrote: »
    They fold up small ;-)
    They really do! People say to us all the time you must have a big house but it isn't it's tiny!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hahaha I really would get one for the calmness alone. But it would have travel, go camping, go with me to my daughter's every day, travel to scotland and stay at my son's and his 4 children I really dont think anything other than a pup brought up to do that would be happy doing it. Can just hear a greyhound saying Nooooooooooo please dont make me go out again :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hahaha I really would get one for the calmness alone. But it would have travel, go camping, go with me to my daughter's every day, travel to scotland and stay at my son's and his 4 children I really dont think anything other than a pup brought up to do that would be happy doing it. Can just hear a greyhound saying Nooooooooooo please dont make me go out again :D
    If you go on the greyhound gap forum you'll see pics of greyhounds doing all of the above! I know someone with a caravan and she has 6 greyhounds and 2 lurchers and they go all over! I also know several people who take their greyhound camping.
    Our 4 always go on holiday with us but we don't go abroad.

What about a lurcher if you want a higher energy dog? greyhound x collie is very energetic! Greyhound x bedlington is a good mix.
    Greyhound gap, Lurcher sos, grwe are all good rescues with websites wit a lot of information on them, and have fb pages.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 384
    Forum Member
    staffies are beautiful loyal loving little dogs.I agree about the greyhounds too.There are plenty around where I live and they are all lovely.Labradors are great too.Good luck with whatever you decide
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    riversmum wrote: »
    If you go on the greyhound gap forum you'll see pics of greyhounds doing all of the above! I know someone with a caravan and she has 6 greyhounds and 2 lurchers and they go all over! I also know several people who take their greyhound camping.
    Our 4 always go on holiday with us but we don't go abroad.

What about a lurcher if you want a higher energy dog? greyhound x collie is very energetic! Greyhound x bedlington is a good mix.
    Greyhound gap, Lurcher sos, grwe are all good rescues with websites wit a lot of information on them, and have fb pages.

Its not just about taking it on holiday( you can take any dog on holiday) I have a small car that carries a lot of camping gear and a greyhound would not fit ( maybe on the roof rack ) its about being in very small places with lots of children and another dog sometimes two. So size is important in this case :D. Also living half the week in one home and the rest in another home would not be ideal for a adult rescue dog. I would think it would feel very unsettled not knowing where its going to be at any given time.

If every my financial situation ever changes then I would probably get one, or two of them. But until then its a toy poodle pup I'm looking for.
  • Options
    BanglaRoadBanglaRoad Posts: 57,613
    Forum Member
    Its the same with staffs. People get them, they are too loving and not aggressive enough for little idiots and then they get dumped. I was so scared of mine because of the horrors stories about them, its embarrassing to say but I didn't like to be left in a room with him. But now I would do anything for my little fatty :) and realised they are not that bad.

I wouldn't be able to go to a rescue because I would get rid of the other half and have lots of dogs :D

I finally took the plunge and got a Staffie from the rescue centre and it is the best thing I have ever done For years I believed all the negative press that Staffies get but treated with love and trained properly(my boy was very easy to train Eager to learn) they are fantastic pets My boy rarely barks in fact if he does it is so rare I get a start Highly sociable with people and other dogs
    he one thing I have noticed is that my Staffie won't ever start a fight with another dog but he is quick to defend himself so I have to bear this in mind if a new dog runs over to say hello
    Dunno how old the OP is but as long as you can give them plenty exercise and attention then you will get nothing but joy and a whole load of new friends if you get a Staff
  • Options
    radioanorakradioanorak Posts: 4,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1fab.
    I am sure there will be a rescue centre near you.
    Let a puppy or dog choose you.
  • Options
    BanglaRoadBanglaRoad Posts: 57,613
    Forum Member
    Forgot to say in my previous post Please get a dog from a rescue centre! Don't fall into the trap of thinking that all rescue dogs have behavioural problems Simply not true
    Whatever dog you decide to get I hope you have as much joy from owning a dog as I have had
    Good luck!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BanglaRoad wrote: »
    Forgot to say in my previous post Please get a dog from a rescue centre! Don't fall into the trap of thinking that all rescue dogs have behavioural problems Simply not true
    Whatever dog you decide to get I hope you have as much joy from owning a dog as I have had
    Good luck!
    Absolutely agree. These days quite a lot of dogs are going into rescue through no fault of their own because of things like marriage break up or people having to go into rented accommodation where they can't have dogs or having to work longer hours and can't cope with a dog any more.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BanglaRoad wrote: »
    Good luck!
    Absolutely agree. These days quite a lot of dogs are going into rescue through no fault of their own because of things like marriage break up or people having to go into rented accommodation where they can't have dogs or having to work longer hours and can't cope with a dog any more.
  • Options
    Summer BreezeSummer Breeze Posts: 4,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1fab.
    I am sure there will be a rescue centre near you.
    Let a puppy or dog choose you.

Nice post :)
    So many dogs out there that are in need of a good home.
    OP, you will love having a dog in your household.
    There will be teething problems at first no doubt, but in the long run you all will reap the rewards.
  • Options
    cavallicavalli Posts: 18,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pie-eyed wrote: »
    Think about a retired greyhound. They are the most well behaved dog you will ever have. They don't need a lot of exercise, never run around in the house, hardly bark. They rarely put a paw wrong really. They are also loving and undemanding. A bed and food, and lots of cuddles is all they want.

This brought a tear to my eye.
  • Options
    GibsonGirlGibsonGirl Posts: 1,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pie-eyed wrote: »
    Think about a retired greyhound. They are the most well behaved dog you will ever have. They don't need a lot of exercise, never run around in the house, hardly bark. They rarely put a paw wrong really. They are also loving and undemanding. A bed and food, and lots of cuddles is all they want.

I don't think it's right to say that they don't need a lot of exercise. My Greyhound can easily handle a two hour walk plus a good run around. She would also happily run after a ball for hours. She has also been known to have zoomies in the house. If she goes for more than a few days without having a decent run then she becomes more energetic in the house.

While mine won't bark when people come to the door she can bark while she is playing and when she is trying to get my other dog to play with her. She can be quite whiney too.

She has also been known to bark at the grill when there is something like a steak or a burger cooking. She has also barked at cooked chicken sitting on the countertop. She has even barked at us when we have been eating steak. She does this because she wants some too.

In fact Greyhounds are notorious foodies. Mine raided a friend's bin a couple of times and when we got her at first she actually stole food off our plates. She's a lot better now, but there is still the odd time when she will manage to steal off a plate. Then again a lot of dogs from other breeds are good at stealing food as well.

Other things to consider.

Most Greyhounds will have never been in a house. This means that they will need toilet trained and they can take a while to settle in. It took mine several months until she was fully settled.

Greyhounds can also display puppy like behaviour during their settling in period. This is probably due to the big change in living conditions. Mine chewed through a shoe and a trainer when she was settling in. She also managed to get hold of a tube of hand cream and foot moisturiser. Both of which she chewed through.

Greyhounds have thin skin and are prone to cuts and scrapes.

Mine is also wary of younger children and will sometimes try to get away from them if they get too close. I have heard of quite a few Greys being timid around smaller children. That's probably because they have not been used to them.

I am not wanting to put you off getting a Greyhound. I just want to make you aware that not every dog conforms to breed standards and that Greyhounds can be quite a bit of work to begin with since they have never known what a household environment is like. Despite all of what I have said about mine she is a very affectionate dog and I love her to bits.

My best advice is to not set your mind on one particular breed and to get a dog from a rescue centre. There are far too many dogs in shelters and far too many dying due to 'lack of space' to justify going to a breeder in my opinion.

My dogs aren't actually mine. My Mother and I adopted them together. When we decided to get a dog we did not consider going to a breeder and we had settled on getting a Staffie. We went to the Dogs Trust and we were told that an older female was due to come in and that she was a good match for us. However we got a phone call a few days before she was due to come in to say that she had sadly died. Once we got over the shock of that we went back to the Dogs Trust and saw an older male Staffie who we really liked. He had been a stray with an unknown history and were told that he might not be for us. We did not get him. So we ended up going to a couple of the Scottish SPCA centres and then the Edinburgh Dog and Cat Home. The latter had a beautiful blue and white Lurcher who would have been ideal for us, but he was reserved. So as we went around looking at other dogs, a phone call came in to say the people who had reserved the Lurcher had pulled out. He had also been a stray so they had to check if had from the town where we live (they do not rehome to the same place a dog came from). As fate would have it he didn't. So he was ours. We had to wait almost a couple of months before we could take him home as he had to have a couple of operations and then he developed an infection. So he had to get over those things before they would release him to us. We have now had him for almost three years and he has really been a fantastic dog. He settled in more or less straight away. This was probably due to the fact that we had already bonded with him while we were visiting him at the EDCH. So he had been a stray and the EDCH did not let that stop us from having him and he has most definitely been a successful adoption. So don't let people put you off by saying that strays aren't suitable as a first dog.

Good luck!
  • Options
    HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of my neighbours has a rescue greyhound and he is a fantastic dog. We never hear him barking. He gets lots of walks but his owner tells me he sleeps most of the time at home. He is not very cat friendly with strange cats but gets on fine with her cat.
  • Options
    pie-eyedpie-eyed Posts: 8,456
    Forum Member
    I think the thing with greyhounds is they are happy with as much exercisecas you give them. I know grey owners who enjoy walking and their dogs are happy with
    it. They are equally happy to lie down in bed for hours on end too.

Mine was house trained when I got him because he had already been homed and then returned. He hadn't been around cats though and I had three. He was and still is quite timid though and wasn't difficult to cat train. Once he had received a scratch he never wanted to go there again. They get along fine. The don't sleep and cuddle together but they will eat from the same bowl and share their food.

As for stealing, this has been an insecurity thing with my boy. On two occasions in the first couple of weeks of coming to us he completely trashed the kitchen when we left him alone in the house. He ate everything he could reach, smashed glass and spilt water every where. I think this was due to stress and being unsure of where and when he would be fed. He did the same thing on one occasion a year later when we moved house. It has to be taken into account that these dogs are often harshly treated when they are racing and it does leave a scar on them. Most are timid and they are the most dreadful big babies when they are hurt in any way.

Anyway I could extol the virtues of my big man forever. He is the most well behaved dog I have ever had. He is an older gentleman now and has some health issues. He is our first grey but definitely not the last.

Of course the OP may have other preferences but greys should never be overlooked.
  • Options
    burton07burton07 Posts: 10,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OP, don't be put off having a puppy. The dog I have now is a Border X Parson Jack Russell Terrier and we got him at 8 weeks old, 7 years ago. He has been no trouble whatsoever - never chewed things up (other than his own toys), was easy to toilet train and is a lovely little terrier.

He is happy with long walks or short walks. He will go all day if necessary but he mostly sleeps all day and livens up in the evening when we sit down to watch TV! We walk him 3 times a day and he doesn't go to the toilet in the garden but waits till he goes out.

He is excellent with children and loves it when the grandkids come to visit.

He is the second Border x JRT we've had (the first one was a victim of a RTA).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GibsonGirl - how old is your girl? my 3 girls were more energetic when they were younger but as they've hit middle age they've turned into couch potatoes. I think the lads are often lazier. If she's an only one she might be a bit more demanding than one with other dogs to play with, not that play ever lasts very long here.

The points you raise were why I said that they are great as long as you know a bit about them and it really is best to get your first greyhound from a good greyhound rescue rather than an any breed one as they will know far more about them, ideally one that uses foster homes so the dog will be used to a home and be if not house trained, well on the way to it.
    They will know their dogs well and be able to match energy levels to the prospective adopters lifestyle.
    However as has been said they are very adaptable.
    My girls are gobby demons who bark a lot I'm afraid! I think that's something about having similar aged girls which some people wouldn't recommend but they get on ok. They did steal but we've worked on it and now they no longer counter surf and we got a greyhound proof bin which made life easier!

I think it would be a poor rescue that homed a fairly fresh off the track greyhound to a first time dog owner - even an experienced dog owner but first time greyhound owner as you do need to know what you're doing but it's so rewarding and they are wonderful companions.
  • Options
    abigail1234abigail1234 Posts: 1,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've found the discussion about greyhounds very interesting. Some time back, I posted a question about offering to walk my elderly neighbour's rescue greyhound, since we didn't have a dog and with the school holidays coming up it would have been nice to have a dog with us on our many walks. The greyhound walks beautifully at a very slow and sedate pace to match her owner's.

However, my neighbour - an experienced dog-owner - said no. She said that Sally needed little exercise which was just as well because (in her words) she "was no pleasure to take for a walk". Apparently Sally's grandmother was a racing champ and she had to be watched (and leashed) 100% of the time when out, as she would suddenly pull to get at something she saw when out. Of course, my neighbour didn't want to entrust such a dog to us.

That hasn't put me off wanting a rescue greyhound myself one day but riversmum and others have offered good advice about going to a Greyhound Rescue and making sure the greyhound matches the owner.
  • Options
    abigail1234abigail1234 Posts: 1,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    burton07 wrote: »
    OP, don't be put off having a puppy. The dog I have now is a Border X Parson Jack Russell Terrier and we got him at 8 weeks old, 7 years ago. He has been no trouble whatsoever - never chewed things up (other than his own toys), was easy to toilet train and is a lovely little terrier.

He is happy with long walks or short walks. He will go all day if necessary but he mostly sleeps all day and livens up in the evening when we sit down to watch TV! We walk him 3 times a day and he doesn't go to the toilet in the garden but waits till he goes out.

He is excellent with children and loves it when the grandkids come to visit.

He is the second Border x JRT we've had (the first one was a victim of a RTA).

I've always loved Border terriers and your little one seems to have the best of both worlds (or breeds). Beautiful!
  • Options
    GibsonGirlGibsonGirl Posts: 1,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've always loved Border terriers and your little one seems to have the best of both worlds (or breeds). Beautiful!

I hate to say it, but next door has a Border Terrier and she is the yappiest dog I have ever come across. She will yap at every person and dog that passes the back garden. When my Greyhound goes for a pee in a space between the shed and next door's fence and the BT is out the back then she will come charging over yapping and puts my dog off peeing. Not the dog's fault, but it does get annoying when the dog interferes with mine peeing,
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    TBH, if you're planning on getting a dog from a rescue-centre, it's probably not a good idea to form any preconceptions about what breed or size of dog you prefer because, for all you know, the perfect dog for you might be waiting for you to give him a home but you'll overlook him because he isn't one of the breeds you've considered.

I'd suggest you just turn up at the rescue centre, tell them what you want from a dog, and what you have to offer, and let them show you around.

Chances are, you'll end up with a dog that you never even considered until you saw him.

Besides, Labradors are the best dogs in the world and you don't find many of them in rescue centres. ;-)
  • Options
    farmer bobfarmer bob Posts: 27,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've found the discussion about greyhounds very interesting. Some time back, I posted a question about offering to walk my elderly neighbour's rescue greyhound, since we didn't have a dog and with the school holidays coming up it would have been nice to have a dog with us on our many walks. The greyhound walks beautifully at a very slow and sedate pace to match her owner's.

However, my neighbour - an experienced dog-owner - said no. She said that Sally needed little exercise which was just as well because (in her words) she "was no pleasure to take for a walk". Apparently Sally's grandmother was a racing champ and she had to be watched (and leashed) 100% of the time when out, as she would suddenly pull to get at something she saw when out. Of course, my neighbour didn't want to entrust such a dog to us.

That hasn't put me off wanting a rescue greyhound myself one day but riversmum and others have offered good advice about going to a Greyhound Rescue and making sure the greyhound matches the owner.

Do get a Grey, if you really want one.
    Ours have been from S.P.C.A Shelters, not from specific Greyhound charity places, like a previous poster said, you can sometimes tell if they are the right dog. The dog's reaction to meeting you will also have some bearing. We have a friend who went to a well known Grey re-homing trust, told them her needs dog-wise and unfortunately the dog they seemed "suitable" for her was far from it. Sometimes your own instincts are better. We've had our latest boy 6 months or so now, and is lovely, definitely quirky, but going to be a cracking family pet. Already he is learning recall, off-lead, when the park is quiet, thanks to his love of titbits & a squeaky ball :D
  • Options
    burton07burton07 Posts: 10,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GibsonGirl wrote: »
    I hate to say it, but next door has a Border Terrier and she is the yappiest dog I have ever come across. She will yap at every person and dog that passes the back garden. When my Greyhound goes for a pee in a space between the shed and next door's fence and the BT is out the back then she will come charging over yapping and puts my dog off peeing. Not the dog's fault, but it does get annoying when the dog interferes with mine peeing,

We have a footpath down the side of our garden but hardly anyone uses it because it is always overgrown. However, when anyone walks down it, our BT does bark. But then he is doing his job! He also barks at woodpeckers when they squawk. But, hey, he is a dog, dogs bark.