Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ian hyland wrote: »
    I'm here all week!

You know you love it!
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,674
    Forum Member
    The first 4 episodes of X Factor 2014 have averaged 8.59M.

The first 4 episodes of X Factor 2013 averaged 9.27M.

Work to do as this isn't going to script at the moment. Cowell will have to do better than that.
  • Options
    Stefano92Stefano92 Posts: 66,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »

Work to do as this isn't going to script at the moment. Cowell will have to do better than that.

Its a shame, quality wise, I think its miles ahead of the last 2 years. I know of a couple of people who have made it to judges houses... and certainly routing for them, and besides, I can count over 10 decent singers I would like in the lives anyway, I haven't said that since 2008.
  • Options
    Zac QuinnZac Quinn Posts: 5,172
    Forum Member
    Dancc wrote: »

And the auditions are supposed to be the strongest weeks of the format.
  • Options
    Mr_EyeMr_Eye Posts: 1,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't realise X Factor was actually down on last year so far.

The return of the Messiah has had no effect.
  • Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    But, as is common with the recorded results show, lacked 5.1 sound. :(

I just have a TV with basic speakers. Are many TV programmes broadcast in Dolby 5.1?
  • Options
    FuddFudd Posts: 167,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mr_Eye wrote: »
    I didn't realise X Factor was actually down on last year so far.

The return of the Messiah has had no effect.

Last year's shows didn't suffer from a Doctor Who overlap or a full Strictly clash. The competition had been easier at this stage in 2013. The only anomaly is last week's Sunday episode.

Strictly performed excellently last night. The X Factor and The Village did reasonably well. Mr. Whicher sadly collapsed.
  • Options
    Mr_EyeMr_Eye Posts: 1,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doctor Who is hardly setting the world alight though is it? (in overnights at least, I know it does fine when timeshift is included.)

I think its concerning that X Factor still doesnt seem to be stabilising.
  • Options
    Philip WilsonPhilip Wilson Posts: 1,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Universal to air ABC's new drama How To Get Away With Murder, starting in October alongside returnee Sleepy Hollow and the latest season of Law and Order SVU. Universal getting a nice line up built up alongside cable dramas such as Major Crimes and Bates Motel.

I thought Sky Living may have been tempted with the Shonda Rhimes connection, but may have been put off after the disappointment of Scandal.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cylon6 wrote: »
    I just have a TV with basic speakers. Are many TV programmes broadcast in Dolby 5.1?

Sadly, not many - on the BBC we have SCD (the live Saturday show), Doctor Who, many of the Proms concerts, some cinema films, some nature documetaries, and even some lower-budget dramas such as Father Brown on BBC one Daytime. Oddly enough, most other dramas are not.

ITV does not do 5.1 surround (it was apparently a cost option with their playout provider). Channel 4 does some, I don't know about Channel Five as I only have Freeview.
  • Options
    FuddFudd Posts: 167,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Doctor Who is hardly setting the world alight though is it? (in overnights at least, I know it does fine when timeshift is included.)

Possibly - this weekend has told us very little though. The Saturday show had a higher raw figure and share than last year's respective show and share wise was higher than the third Saturday episode of 2013. Sunday was always going to be hurt by Strictly.

Doctor Who is hurting the show slightly for the first fifteen minutes; I think the breakdown posted for week one showed that much.
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,674
    Forum Member
    Fudd wrote: »
    Mr. Whicher sadly collapsed.
    Found some old demos for Mr Whicher, posted at the time by rzt. When it premiered in 2011 it had 4.1M viewers aged 55 or over, representing 68% of its total audience. Quite significantly old skewing. Very poor scheduling then to put it on after a young skewing show like X Factor and clash with a firm favourite of older viewers (as well as many younger viewers) for 10 minutes. No wonder it posted a bad rating, it was never given a chance to rate in these circumstances.

http://oi52.tinypic.com/14ier6d.jpg
  • Options
    Cestrian18Cestrian18 Posts: 6,862
    Forum Member

Exactly, X Factor coped fine when it was against Merlin, in fact, the last Cowell/Cole Series face around 5 million overnight competition with what I assume is a very similar audience profile (eg- Merlin got a 4.99m overnight for the second part of its Series 3 opener directly against Factor which got over 11 million) Doctor Who is not an excuse imo
  • Options
    NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 8,635
    Forum Member
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    There is no way on earth that DW (a family programme) would start post-9pm (or later, given the need for the Lottery Results).

The 10-minute lottery draws have started at 22:00 or later many times in the past. But I agree that 21:00 for Who is too late. I suggest this compromise.

From 4 October I would start Strictly at 18:15, around the same time as last year, but then keep starting it later as it shortens, so it ends (and Who begins) at a consistent time of say 20:20. That's the right balance, I think. Strictly benefits from progressively starting later in the evening when the available audience is higher and Doctor Who gets a fixed slot for its final six episodes (it will no longer have a headstart on X Factor but that is unavoidable really). The other advantage is that Casualty will also have a fixed slot for that period.

Saturday 4 October 2014

18:15 - Strictly Come Dancing
    20:20 - Doctor Who
    21:10 - Casualty
    22:00 - Lottery Draws
    22:10 - News
    22:30 - MOTD

That would mean Strictly's start time goes as late as 19:15 on 6 December when they're down to six couples (this is going by last year's pattern).

Some things would have to move earlier for the Festival of Remembrance on 8 November, but not Doctor Who's finale which should still be able to start at 20:20, before the news and Festival.

And before anyone mentions Atlantis - I have no idea. I can't see how it can fit in this autumn other than in an early teatime slot which doesn't really seem to fit the content.
  • Options
    simon_geraldsimon_gerald Posts: 825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has weekend with Alex been cancelled, if so seems strange to axe it two episodes short of its 42 episode run.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has weekend with Alex been cancelled, if so seems strange to axe it two episodes short of its 42 episode run.

Weekend with Aled Jones is ending?
  • Options
    RobbieSykes123RobbieSykes123 Posts: 14,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    xeo wrote: »
    @SimonCowell: So the numbers are in. Strictly peak 9.4. X Factor peak 9.2. Round one to them. Such a shame they were both on at the same time!

:p

Did someone hack his account or has fatherhood mellowed him?

:-)

Sneaky blighter though comparing SCD Sunday to TXF Saturday!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 82
    Forum Member
    Salv* wrote: »
    Its a shame, quality wise, I think its miles ahead of the last 2 years. I know of a couple of people who have made it to judges houses... and certainly routing for them, and besides, I can count over 10 decent singers I would like in the lives anyway, I haven't said that since 2008.

I have to say, i disagree with you there. It's same-old, same-old to me now.
  • Options
    Forum Member

With its diabolical ratings, it's stranger that it lasted as long as it did!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    C14E wrote: »
    XF on Twitter:

11.01 - 337,000 (peak 5,600 p/m) - Rating of 9.5m
    11.02 - 179,000 (peak 5,200 p/m) - Rating of 8.2m
    11.03 - 151,000 (peak 4,200 p/m) - Rating of 8.9m

See link for full reports plus some very hard to read graphs...

https://secondsync.com/leaderboard.html#Sat-Sep-06-2014/totals

Twitter TV reports average tweets per minute of 867 last night

https://twitter.com/TwitterTVUK
    X Factor had more tweets last night although Strictly had more trending topics. Just proves trending on Twitter is all bollocks and doesn't mean ratings as we've always said.

https://secondsync.com/leaderboard.html#Sun-Sep-07-2014/totals
  • Options
    Forum Member
    i4u wrote: »
    At what point did XF peak at over 9m?
    Saturday night 20:55

Some confusion here. Last night's X Factor had a five-minute peak of 8.3m without +1, 9.2m with.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It was Sunday but was with +1.

"@jscummins: Last night's @TheXFactor peaked with 9.2 million viewers/35% share."

Excluding +1......

"@LeighHolmwood: Last night's ratings: #strictly peaked at 9.4m against #xfactor's 8.3m (without +1). Strictly averaged 8.4m to XF's 7.6m"
  • Options
    JetsonJetson Posts: 13,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is Strictly not on next weekend?
  • Options
    lewiep93lewiep93 Posts: 5,880
    Forum Member
    James J wrote: »
    Is Strictly not on next weekend?

No it's back on the 26th and 27th of September (Friday and Saturday).
This discussion has been closed.