Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 61)

Comments

• Options
    Zac QuinnZac Quinn Posts: 5,172
    Forum Member
    pjh8 wrote: »
    The Strictly rating isn't really that good considering it's probably their best lineup ever.

What? In terms of really massive names it's probably their weakest lineup ever, and it's the joint-highest rating for the launch show they've ever had.

For example, it's ahead of the 2012 launch which featured two Team GB athletes right after they'd won medals during London 2012, an Ashes-winning former England cricket captain, one of the most famous actors in EastEnders history and Tracy Beaker!!

EDIT: Forgot Louis Smith didn't win gold.
  • Options
    yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member
    Zac Quinn wrote: »
    What? In terms of really massive names it's probably their weakest lineup ever, and it's the joint-highest rating for the launch show they've ever had.

Dont start with facts - we dont do facts on here. :D
  • Options
    NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 8,635
    Forum Member
    Dancc wrote: »
    Impressive shares but can't help but feel uncomfortable about this. 10 episodes back-to-back of an import is not what the BBC should be doing on any channel. Fox UK does this on weekends as well but they are a commercial channel. BBC Three is doing something Fox UK is already doing.

I'm not going to miss BBC Three if it goes. It behaves too much like a commercial channel and that doesn't sit right with me. We can get our Family Guy fix elsewhere and the few distinctive BBC Three programmes can still be made, but for BBC Two or BBC One, strengthening these more important channels in the process and delivering quality first.

As previously discussed here and mentioned in Broadcast, BBC Two looks like it might end up inheriting Three's Family Guy rights (at least the repeats for a while; it's doubtful that the BBC will keep hold of the rights to new ones for much longer).

It was half in jest but I think my suggestion of placing it at 23:20 (or 23:00 on Fridays) after Newsnight could work if it's promoted. A couple of episodes there every night would liven up a dead slot, and it would hardly be displacing anything major. You never know, it might even perk Newsnight up a bit!

Trying to remember what else used to play in that slot: This Life certainly did for some of its run in the 1990s. I loved that.
  • Options
    XIVXIV Posts: 21,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting. The chances of a UK pickup just increased dramatically I suspect. Difficult one to weigh up. On the one hand late night chat shows especially of the American mould never seem to work here with Conan the latest to flop for TruTV, on the other Corden is a high profile name to UK audiences which will help so may be a risk worth taking for the likes of C5?

It's a huge commitment since it's five nights a week so I doubt it. I think a weekly chat show should be considered as the one of the return to comedy either with new or established talent or a format in the vein of The Friday Night Project
  • Options
    Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just checked the thread on the programme here and it does not seem to have gone down too well with regular viewers on there either.

Regular viewers obviously like the current format, any format change is about trying to attract new viewers. Something many here would be mindful of remembering every time they are demanding everything is changed.
  • Options
    A.D.PA.D.P Posts: 10,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    SCD: 8.43m (33.7%)
    Score wrote: »
    Last night at 8 - Strictly beats X Factor:
    #StrictlyComeDancing 8.43m/33.7%;
    #TheXFactor (incl. +1) 7.79m/31.1%.
    lewiep93 wrote: »
    UK TV Ratings ‏@TVRatingsUK 16s
    Last night at 8 - Strictly beats X Factor:
    #StrictlyComeDancing 8.43m/33.7%;
    #TheXFactor (incl. +1) 7.79m/31.1%.

Can't wait for Simon Cowell's excuses :D

Fantastic for Strictly, really deserved that high rating. And it's exactly the same as last year apart from the share (down 7.6% in share, obviously due to different days/timeslots).
    Yes go Strictly take that itv :p
    Not surprised at all. the 15 minutes without being against TXF was in its favour.
    sn_22 wrote: »
    Looks like both surpassed expectations. Strictly pulled a superb figure and the dent to X Factor was minimal.

Perhaps the BBC knew something we didn't regarding the Strictly crossover audiences for XF and Corrie. Because 8pm looks to have been the right move.
    Did you miss Strictly opposite on BBC1? It couldn't not be down again.
    It's still not good enough really as it had a Corri lead in. Without plus one that doesn't make great reading for Xfactor.
    Killed by Countryfile where quality is concerned. But I suspect most of Corrie's audience last night switched to BBC1 at 8pm.
    ian hyland wrote: »
    It's Simon Cowell I feel sorry for.
    Poor man has a baby to feed and clothe.
    xeo wrote: »
    @SimonCowell: So the numbers are in. Strictly peak 9.4. X Factor peak 9.2. Round one to them. Such a shame they were both on at the same time!

:p
    SCD still ahead

SCD
    9318 - against Mr Whicher

TXF - ITV
    TXF - ITV HD
    jlp95bwfc wrote: »
    The fanboy posts and Cowell bashing is unnecessary and doesn't add to the thread at all. Post something constructive.

I'm pleasantly surprised by The X Factor rating. It wasn't destroyed by Strictly so I think the crisis posts won't be necessary for now. Comparing year on year doesn't mean anything as the circumstances were completely different. Interesting to see the Strictly rating for the actual clash period. Strong Strictly rating too, although I suspect that would've been down on last year too had it not been for the longer running time.
    Salv* wrote: »
    Brilliant for Strictly, good for X Factor. Great for The Village, poor for Whicher.
    No Strictly won fair and square. Strictly is the feel good show and will continue to out-rate TXF. ITV need to prioritize keeping XF afloat.

Although if you strip out the ads on ITV, TXF is closer to Strictly with 8m/8.2m. :)

The X Factor has had its time at the top, I do not begrudge Strictly as top show.

James J wrote: »
    The question is, why don't both ITV and BBC work together to schedule these shows in a more complimentary fashion?

There's no need to fight, just have some co-operation!
    pjh8 wrote: »
    The Strictly rating isn't really that good considering it's probably their best lineup ever.X Factor's launch this year averaged over 1 million higher

It's amazing the few who can't see clear ratings figures and make excuses, posting "SCD rating isn't thst good! "

It won!

It was against ITVs so called top show and won fair and square,

A few can't accept it, the evidence is clear.

Simon Cowell says the BBC was wrong to schdule it the only people to blame are ITV schedulers hopefully they will learn silly games do not work, when provisional schdules are exchanged put in your shows, don't play call my bluff, it rebounds!

Simon should be on the phone to ITV now saying talk to BBC to avoid this.
  • Options
    guestofsethguestofseth Posts: 5,303
    Forum Member
    Do we know if BBC have the rights for the next season of Family Guy? The Simpsons crossover would surely get a big rating, if it's going to move, that would be a good time to do it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do we know if BBC have the rights for the next season of Family Guy? The Simpsons crossover would surely get a big rating, if it's going to move, that would be a good time to do it.

It's moving to BBC2
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ITV need seriously need to sort out their scheduling this year. Its been nothing short of a mess.

I can't see anything wrong with last night's scheduling. New two hour drama to fill the first two weeks of September before Downton starts. What could possibly go wrong?

They weren't to know Strictly was going to run in that slot. I mean how often does BBC1 have a junction at 9:15pm?!

Yes they could have pushed it back, but weren't schedules already signed off at that point? Also that meant it would have ended at 11:15, plus how do you know Strictly's run time wouldn't also have then subsequently changed? Almost like Christmas Day scheduling last night with both sides playing silly buggers.
  • Options
    Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really well. The pilot managed 5.33M viewers and 1.2 in the demo, which for TNT is great. It went on to average over 4M every week. Not as young skewing as some shows in that ratings range but a good performer by cable standards.

That is good to know. Presumably series 2 is assured with these figures? Unless the demo matters too much - as raw ratings are less significant in the US aren't they?

Oh, by the way, a question in the Mail magazine this weekend asked when The Good Wife was returning to UK TV and Channel 4 replied that it would be back on More 4 in early 2015.
  • Options
    yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member
    Andy23 wrote: »
    I can't see anything wrong with last night's scheduling. New two hour drama to fill the first two weeks of September before Downton starts. What could possibly go wrong?

They weren't to know Strictly was going to run in that slot. I mean how often does BBC1 have a junction at 9:15pm?!

Yes they could have pushed it back, but weren't schedules already signed off at that point? Also that meant it would have ended at 11:15, plus how do you know Strictly's run time wouldn't also have then subsequently changed? Almost like Christmas Day scheduling last night with both sides playing silly buggers.

I dont know 2 hour dramas are fine but they should start at 8pm. I just think 11pm is too late a finish.
  • Options
    NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 8,635
    Forum Member

TV Wise is a good site to check things like this. The July-December 2013 run (Season 11) wasn't announced as being picked up until May of that year, so it may be a while before we know about Season 13. It could be a multi-year deal but I seem to remember it was a one-season deal in 2013 and possibly in 2014 too.
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,674
    Forum Member
    NeilVW wrote: »
    TV Wise is a good site to check things like this. The July-December 2013 run (Season 11) wasn't announced as being picked up until May of that year, so it may be a while before we know about Season 13. It could be a multi-year deal but I seem to remember it was a one-season deal in 2013 and possibly in 2014 too.
    Last I heard the distributors hated the idea of it being shown online due to piracy concerns, so the BBC was eyeing potential slots on BBC Two.

But nothing has been confirmed about Family Guy's future yet.
  • Options
    Philip WilsonPhilip Wilson Posts: 1,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With the new US TV season fast approaching Fox launched their new reality show Utopia, which is basically a big brother outdoors trying to create a new society and filmed for a year...

It debuted to a lacklustre 1.9 in the demo (I'll save calling it a disaster until next week), following Football which scored a 4.1. They plan to air this twice a week, but I really can't see this lasting long as it is only going to fall hard in the coming weeks, thats before the rest of the networks actually start trying!

This is going to be one very hard (but predictable) flop!
  • Options
    FuddFudd Posts: 167,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    yorkie100 wrote: »
    I dont know 2 hour dramas are fine but they should start at 8pm. I just think 11pm is too late a finish.

I'm slightly surprised they didn't 'Lewis' it and split it into four hour long episodes. But I guess that would have meant one episode not getting an X Factor lead in - not that that helped yesterday evening but I'm sure Whicher would have done better with a 60 minute episode, even if it started at 9.05pm.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That is good to know. Presumably series 2 is assured with these figures? Unless the demo matters too much - as raw ratings are less significant in the US aren't they?

Oh, by the way, a question in the Mail magazine this weekend asked when The Good Wife was returning to UK TV and Channel 4 replied that it would be back on More 4 in early 2015.

I did post earlier that they have already renewed it for season 2. :)

The Good Wife always returns in January.
  • Options
    AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Andy, you can't or won't see it will you. ITV certainly DID know that SCD was 75 minutes. It was in the provisionals for 6.45pm - 8.00pm. No hidden extra timings. ITV had the provisionals as 7pm - 8pm TBA. Even when they knew it would be on because of references to the day, Corrie did not appear in the provisionals. ITV had no intention of revealing the fact that Corrie was in the schedules until they hoped, at the very last minute once BBC One had signed off their schedules. Schedules were even exchanged without any mention of Corrie appearing. As soon as Corrie was revealed, as a definite spoiler to SCD, the BBC at the eleventh hour, altered their schedule to avoid a clash with Corrie. Both sides do play silly buggers because ITV have some kind of infatuation of trying to weaken BBC shows that pose a threat to them. Not all shows, but key ones.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    With the new US TV season fast approaching Fox launched their new reality show Utopia, which is basically a big brother outdoors trying to create a new society and filmed for a year...

It debuted to a lacklustre 1.9 in the demo (I'll save calling it a disaster until next week), following Football which scored a 4.1. They plan to air this twice a week, but I really can't see this lasting long as it is only going to fall hard in the coming weeks, thats before the rest of the networks actually start trying!

This is going to be one very hard (but predictable) flop!
    Fox really thought it was a smart idea to launch Utopia against Big Brother?

Too funny. Inferior copycat beaten by superior original shocker. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fox really thought it was a smart idea to launch Utopia against Big Brother?

Too funny. Inferior copycat beaten by superior original shocker. :)

$50m well spent there! Will make the last season of XFactor USA look a hit soon! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wizzywick wrote: »
    Andy, you can't or won't see it will you. ITV certainly DID know that SCD was 75 minutes. It was in the provisionals for 6.45pm - 8.00pm. No hidden extra timings. ITV had the provisionals as 7pm - 8pm TBA. Even when they knew it would be on because of references to the day, Corrie did not appear in the provisionals. ITV had no intention of revealing the fact that Corrie was in the schedules until they hoped, at the very last minute once BBC One had signed off their schedules. Schedules were even exchanged without any mention of Corrie appearing. As soon as Corrie was revealed, as a definite spoiler to SCD, the BBC at the eleventh hour, altered their schedule to avoid a clash with Corrie. Both sides do play silly buggers because ITV have some kind of infatuation of trying to weaken BBC shows that pose a threat to them. Not all shows, but key ones.

Yes they knew in the provisionals but not when pencilling in dramas long term. The only way of getting round the issue would have been to bin off last nights drama for months, probably until next Spring, assuming it has to air on a Sunday, and suddenly find some other drama out of the blue for these two weeks.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    $50m well spent there! Will make the last season of XFactor USA look a hit soon! :D
    Hunt's already on the blower to get the UK version onto C4. :D

Personally I can't get over how a show billed as a social experiment with 24/7 live feeds could possibly flop. I was told these were the ingredients of a sure-fire ratings winner.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes they knew in the provisionals but not when pencilling in dramas long term. The only way of getting round the issue would have been to bin off last nights drama for months, probably until next Spring, assuming it has to air on a Sunday, and suddenly find some other drama out of the blue for these two weeks.

Corrie didn't need to be there.

Free slots:-

Tuesday 8 pm > 10 pm.

Wednesday same slots scared of GBBO. could have done a double there with one of the displaced shows.

Thursday 8.30.

Friday at 9pm,

Next Sunday.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A.D.P wrote: »

Tuesday 8 pm > 10 pm.

Wednesday same slots scared of GBBO. could have done a double there with one of the displaced shows.

Thursday 8.30.

Friday at 9pm,

Next Sunday.
    Corrie was written and filmed months ago with the storyline based on a Sunday. Normally they don't say what day it is, last night they mentioned a hundred times it was a Sunday.

Half of those slots are never used for Corrie. Sunday night is always used when they can't air on a Monday. You could also say Strictly didn't NEED to be on last night as well, but that view would never gain traction would it.
  • Options
    dan2008dan2008 Posts: 37,281
    Forum Member
    A.D.P wrote: »

Tuesday 8 pm > 10 pm.

Thursday 8.30.

Friday at 9pm,

Next Sunday.
    Exactly. There was plenty of slots for Corrie to go. They could have gone for Sunday at 6pm aswell.

When EastEnders misses an episode it usually airs an hour on Thursday from it's slot at 7:30pm or in a free slot on Wednesday at 8:00pm no problem.

Glad Strictly won last night. ITV's silly games backfired and perhaps they might think again. I am pretty sure they thought the BBC would bow down and move Strictly to avoid the X factor but glad they didn't.
  • Options
    hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Impressive shares but can't help but feel uncomfortable about this. 10 episodes back-to-back of an import is not what the BBC should be doing on any channel. Fox UK does this on weekends as well but they are a commercial channel. BBC Three is doing something Fox UK is already doing.

I'm not going to miss BBC Three if it goes. It behaves too much like a commercial channel and that doesn't sit right with me. We can get our Family Guy fix elsewhere and the few distinctive BBC Three programmes can still be made, but for BBC Two or BBC One, strengthening these more important channels in the process and delivering quality first.

They did say that Family Guy will still air on BBC Two when BBC Three closes.
This discussion has been closed.