Options

Scottish independence: let's have an honest debate (P3)

Comments

• Options
    JCRJCR Posts: 24,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bhoy07 wrote: »
    Like tax cuts for big business

Heh.

That's the problem with the SNP, they want to be everything to everyone, but newsflash- you can't be anti big business and in bed with Rupert Murdoch at the same time. And not forgetting the SNP's commitment to re-regulate the bus network was dropped after Brian Souter gave them £500,000.

If yes wins, there are going to be a whole load of disappointed people and an SNP at war with itself.
  • Options
    delegate zerodelegate zero Posts: 2,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JCR wrote: »
    Heh.

That's the problem with the SNP, they want to be everything to everyone, but newsflash- you can't be anti big business and in bed with Rupert Murdoch at the same time. And not forgetting the SNP's commitment to re-regulate the bus network was dropped after Brian Souter gave them £500,000.

If yes wins, there are going to be a whole load of disappointed people and an SNP at war with itself.

any cut in corporation tax would need a mandate from the scottish people.
  • Options
    thmsthms Posts: 61,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Heh.

While it did not make the SNP manifesto. Did he really believe the SNP was going to win the election? This was the election that had over 100,000 spoiled ballot papers. As it was the SNP formed a minority government, with just one seat more than the Labour Party! Is Brian Souter psychic?
  • Options
    bhoy07bhoy07 Posts: 25,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scotland on Sunday backs a No vote - not a shock though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thms wrote: »

I think both the DR and The Scottish Sun may well not endorse either vote.

After all in a way - they'll be required to unify the country after either vote.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://www.thedrum.com/news/2014/09/13/asda-faces-social-media-boycott-backlash-after-declaring-independent-scotland-retail

"ASDA faces social media boycott backlash after declaring independent Scotland retail costs could rise"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bhoy07 wrote: »
    I think both the DR and The Scottish Sun may well not endorse either vote.

After all in a way - they'll be required to unify the country after either vote.

don't you mean unify labour?
  • Options
    thenetworkbabethenetworkbabe Posts: 45,624
    Forum Member
    oathy wrote: »
    I notice IDS is back in stealth mode since that shock poll finally woke Westminster up.
    Normally they love dragging him on a sunday show saying how amazing he's been and how tough the government love being.

I really do think they have vastly underestimated how many people will vote YES who normally would never vote even in a General election. The promise of no more tory policies does seem to be helping them a lot

The problem is the 30% who never vote are unknowns to the pollsters, as are the 16-22 year olds who have never voted.

The anti-democratic element who don't want a Conservative government ever, seem to be about 30% of the voters in the polls that looked deeper. They are the remnants and successors of Michael Foot's Labour party in policy terms - and seem as anti to Blair or Milliband's or any otherpotential, realistic, UK Labour party. They add to the more general nationalist vote.

The really worrying swing percentage is the people who know nothing, or live in some political extreme - who don't usually vote at all. They just seem to dislike all politicians, are anarchists, are attracted to the idea of money falling from the sky, and believe every scare story about Tories wanting to drain their blood. All economic issues seem to go over their heads as if they were being explained in Korean. Ultimately many have no stake in success, so they don't mind if the Scottish economy becomes like Greece's .
  • Options
    mRebelmRebel Posts: 24,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think if businesses have a genuine concern, they should be able to voice them. But, if they had meetings with Cameron and then voiced them, I would see that as suspect.

But hey, I could well be wrong, it just doesn't look good...the optics of it.

By the way, that word 'optics' is the second new word I have learned because of this referendum, the other being 'purdah'.

It's increases my vocabulary to, as I've learnt the word 'sterlingisation'.
    And I heard on the radio today that all over Scotland there's people wearing badges saying either 'yes' or 'no'. Given that many say that they haven't made up their mind yet, I wondered if they are wearing a badge with 'undecided' written on it.:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mRebel wrote: »
    It's increases my vocabulary to, as I've learnt the word 'sterlingisation'.
    And I heard on the radio today that all over Scotland there's people wearing badges saying either 'yes' or 'no'. Given that many say that they haven't made up their mind yet, I wondered if they are wearing a badge with 'undecided' written on it.:)

I wonder where the CGAF folk are - they must be somewhere!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oathy wrote: »
    the best thing the YES camp can do now is screw the polls and don't get dragged into long debates on TV about them. Its counter productive its giving the TV reporters easy story polls + what business next is going to say voting yes is wrong.

God help labour next year the tories must have some powerful suits in the background because the level of support being given anything government at the moment seems off the scale.

surely right now is the perfect chance to ask all these big companies if they feel this way about Scotland why aren't they being more vocal about a possible EU exit? its relevant because if Scotland leaving the UK would cause all this what the hell would the UK leaving the EU do?

You haven't been following the news, as some have expressed concern about exit from the EU. No doubt if there is a referendum more will speak up.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You haven't been following the news, as some have expressed concern about exit from the EU. No doubt if there is a referendum more will speak up.

This gets really messy because some businesses have said that they would prefer an EU exit. I think we'll have to wait until nearer the time to hear what the majority of them have to say.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.thedrum.com/news/2014/09/13/asda-faces-social-media-boycott-backlash-after-declaring-independent-scotland-retail

"ASDA faces social media boycott backlash after declaring independent Scotland retail costs could rise"

A social media boycott, now there's a threat to make the blood run cold!!:D
  • Options
    thenetworkbabethenetworkbabe Posts: 45,624
    Forum Member
    Heh.

Indeed. The yes vote has a very strong section who are really trying to free Scotland from the English and Welsh Labour party - because they want to replace the SNP with a far left government that could never win a UK election. Its a coalition that will come apart within weeks as the SNP has to fight them off. The SNP itself is split between the need to go for growth policies and create financial credibility, and the need to spend more and maintain social services. Once there's no currency, no Bank of England backing, shares fall, interest rates rise, prices rise, and unemployment rises, its difficult to see how the country will hold up. 50% of the population will be blaming the SNP for creating the mess, and half the yes vote may be calling for a Bennite response - as Sillars already is. . Labour may not even be available as a viable alternative government if it too is split . There won't even be police available from south of the border to deal with the turmoil - or troops to support them or help with strikes........

The big question is what happens when it all falls apart. Labour could take power soon anyway - with the leadership not wanting to be independent at all. Labour, however, would be split between people who wanted to be far more radical and moderates. A narrow win also causes problems - it just doesn't look decisive. There's a strong liklihood that a slight majority for independence could turn into a majority the other way in days, and a bigger majority within months. . Can Scotland reverse course and return to the union , or is it going to continue to negotiate to leave , as the economic problems that were dismissed come raining down?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The problem is the 30% who never vote are unknowns to the pollsters, as are the 16-22 year olds who have never voted.

The anti-democratic element who don't want a Conservative government ever, seem to be about 30% of the voters in the polls that looked deeper. They are the remnants and successors of Michael Foot's Labour party in policy terms - and seem as anti to Blair or Milliband's or any otherpotential, realistic, UK Labour party. They add to the more general nationalist vote.

The really worrying swing percentage is the people who know nothing, or live in some political extreme - who don't usually vote at all. They just seem to dislike all politicians, are anarchists, are attracted to the idea of money falling from the sky, and believe every scare story about Tories wanting to drain their blood. All economic issues seem to go over their heads as if they were being explained in Korean. Ultimately many have no stake in success, so they don't mind if the Scottish economy becomes like Greece's .

You sound like something from the British Raj era that dictated the natives were either too stupid or uneducated enough to vote or manage their own affairs.
    It's called democracy in allowing someone ( however uneducated they may appear to you) in having a vote regardless of their predilections.
  • Options
    Sweaty Job RotSweaty Job Rot Posts: 2,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You sound like something from the British Raj era that dictated the natives were either too stupid or uneducated enough to vote or manage their own affairs.
    It's called democracy in allowing someone ( however uneducated they may appear to you) in having a vote regardless of their predilections.

Why don't you stop being snidey, still waiting on the apology you owe me for insinuating it was a liar yesterday. Still happy to provide you the details of the officer and the number where the can be contacted. Or are you a total bottle job and know the incident being confirmed by a serving officer would make you look like the stupid fool you really are.

Thenetworkbabe this idiot is just a troll.
  • Options
    muntamunta Posts: 18,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A social media boycott, now there's a threat to make the blood run cold!!:D

All these calls of boycotts just shows that some Nats have an overinflated sense of self importance.

I mean how dare a business pass on increased costs to these people.
  • Options
    lizbetlizbet Posts: 854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    munta wrote: »
    All these calls of boycotts just shows that some Nats have an overinflated sense of self importance.

Your right they are a bunch of morons in my opinion and think they are so important that they can rip Scotland apart causing total division and anger. Can't wait till this is over just worried sick Salmond gets his wish :(:(
  • Options
    Black SheepBlack Sheep Posts: 15,219
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i'm not the person you think I am..

I sometimes wonder if you are one single person.
  • Options
    JenzenJenzen Posts: 7,364
    Forum Member
    I sometimes wonder if you are one single person.

Eh? Did the Borg land in Scotland and no one realised?
    Should I prepare to be assimilated? :p

The ref threads need more humour!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    munta wrote: »

I actually think it goes a wee bit deeper than that. Using Social Media and other web based sites they goad others into their boycotts and abuse of any person or organisation which opposes independence.

It seems that there is a significant mass of dullards out there who buy into every call from their masters. So Scots Rugby players suddenly become traitors or Scottish companies suddenly become quislings.

I wonder what they would do if Barrs came out against independence? Will they all stop drinking Irn Bru?

I also wonder what impact any one of these people actually have on ASDAs profits and guess that their morals will quietly fade away following the vote, be it Yes or No.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As to just taking military personnel from the UK Armed Forces into a Scottish one, its a joke surely?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2754901/Salmond-demands-10bn-tartan-army-Ships-jets-helicopters-troops-SNP-s-sights-Scotland-votes-Yes.html?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490

All of those personnel are contracted to the UK, they wont just be transferred against their own will.

For starters, you cant just transfer non Scots in the Forces to be in the Scottish military and secondly you cant force a Scottish UK citizen to transfer either.

Its going to take a long long time to build up any Scottish military force from the ground up, especially the more technical Air Force and Navy elements.
  • Options
    fermynfermyn Posts: 2,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Mail on Sunday does seem to be getting a bit hysterical today :D

Glad to see that BBC News has the murder of the British hostage as its lead story. It does make you remember that there are more important things going on in the world.
  • Options
    Mc256Mc256 Posts: 362
    Forum Member
    lizbet wrote: »
    Your right they are a bunch of morons in my opinion and think they are so important that they can rip Scotland apart causing total division and anger. Can't wait till this is over just worried sick Salmond gets his wish :(:(

The long suffering silent no voters will win dont worry, however in our area hundreds of polling cards have gone missing very suspicious.

Take your own black ink pen for your no vote.