Options

What else is "unusual" about the USA and Americans?

Comments

• Options
    epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    You're probably right, but then it's hard to keep track of who's PM and who's President these days. I'm sure Medvedev and Putin have swapped the roles at least twice already!!

No doubt. I had to google just to make sure.
  • Options
    Corkhead.Corkhead. Posts: 445
    Forum Member
    MarellaK wrote: »
    I believe that is more to do with the Americans general lack of interest in any news outside of their own country whereas we receive news on world affairs, news programmes even often headline with significant world news. I believe a lot of Britons are quite knowledgeable about US affairs even if they've never set foot in the country but most Americans would probably not be able to name the British prime minister.

Americans are NOT stupid..........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVfdTDfbvMs
  • Options
    PlatinumStevePlatinumSteve Posts: 4,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KJ44 wrote: »
    One of my speculative arguments.

US internet is patchy. Comcast are getting a lot of flack for the Net Neutrality advocacy and their customer service, so Reddit tells me.

So maybe the slow take up of chip&pin or NFC for credit card machines is due to the stores, gas stations, etc not having connectivity? The obvious counter-argument is coffee shops with WiFi but maybe that's an urban thing?

The UK is able to sustain competition and good coverage because we are on a tiny crowded archepelago.

South Korea makes USA and UK look steam-powered as regards Internet.

Don't let the loud reddit crowd, cloud your vision. If you have a business even in BFE you can get business grade internet, it's more expensive than consumer grade internet though, sometimes a lot more expensive. Imagine $60-80 for good internet at home, business class would be $120-300 depending on the connection type.

Except for the most extremely remote non-populated places http://unlimitedcellphone.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/cdma_coverage.jpg that's a cell phone coverage map, http://jaymans.files.wordpress.com/2012/09/71789-050-459169a6.gif here's population density, there's connectivity available it's just probably not cheap, or fast. I'm not saying everything is perfect, but the hyperbole makes it seem as if we were some sub-Saharan African country, which is definitely not the case.
  • Options
    BrooklynBoyBrooklynBoy Posts: 10,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Corkhead. wrote: »
    Americans are NOT stupid..........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVfdTDfbvMs

Neither are the British. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_mkwB9ayK4
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    epicurian wrote: »
    I can definitely relate to that- I miss driving and my car so much. Even more than chili rellenos, I think.

Now they've gone over gas prices it's a good thing they don't know the difference in cost for auto insurance. :p
  • Options
    Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was talking about those who live here, not tourists. It was (as I said) on a ex-pat forum.

Loads of threads about what do you miss the most, there were loads of things, but one that stuck out the most was "Driving"
    Oh that's an issue with self confidence then. Odd really as my ex-wife is Swiss and had never driven in UK before she met me, but soon picked it up. They have to want to do it first though.
  • Options
    KJ44KJ44 Posts: 38,093
    Forum Member
    A silly argument (ouzo inspired) ...

The UK has a lot in common with ... Japan!

Crowded islands off the coast of a major land mass.
    Centuries old Royal Family.
    Value civility and politeness (yeah, I know).
    Drive on the left.
    Tea.
    Lots of tea.
    Tea.

:D;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A silly argument (ouzo inspired) ...

The UK has a lot in common with ... Japan!

Crowded islands off the coast of a major land mass.
    Centuries old Royal Family.
    Value civility and politeness (yeah, I know).
    Drive on the left.
    Tea.
    Lots of tea.
    Tea.

:D;-)

Baseball trumps all of that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love roundabouts and the magic ones are my favourite. They are very strange though.
    Strange?!! :o

That Swindon one is just plain bonkers!!

But if you love Roundabouts that much, there is even a Club for the fruit loops here! :D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can definitely relate to that- I miss driving and my car so much. Even more than chili rellenos, I think.
    Why don't you drive 'epi'?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Don't let the loud reddit crowd, cloud your vision.

Thanks mate. I agree Reddit is unlikely to be objective. Also thanks for your info.

apropos of Reddit I bloody love these two:

http://www.reddit.com/r/britishproblems
    http://www.reddit.com/r/britishsuccess
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member

:D Hooray! Someone posted *that* video, and I was sure the British one would get rolled out in response.
    We never learn, do we? :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hhhmm......sensitive point here given the very recent Referendum but most of those he spoke to were Scottish, with a couple who sounded distinctly foreign, and as for the young lad......not stupid.....just thick.....which is even worse!

The car manufacturer question was a good one. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :D Hooray! Someone posted *that* video, and I was sure the British one would get rolled out in response.
    We never learn, do we? :p

Well Corkhead did ask for it. I did search for "Irish are stupid" too guessing that poster is from Ireland. There were just too many vids to choose from though. :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Baseball trumps all of that.

Good call. I've seen a (minor league?) game (match? whatever?) in Florida*, and I utterly loved the laid back atmosphere, that you could afford it, that games were frequent. My (Dutch) friend explained all the stuff that was going on, and at the end he went down on the pitch (?) and the players were super nice to him.

We had to get back to our hotel, no-one was around, so we went back and the local stadium peeps got us a taxi.

*business trip
  • Options
    bollywoodbollywood Posts: 67,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So if everything in America is paid for on plastic, do they tend to use NFC ubiquitously now (I presume so with the big hoo-ha Apple made about it)? Or does it tend to be mostly traditional chip & pin still?

We don't pay for everything with plastic. There are BYOB restaurants that are cash or check only. I find that paying cash makes me more aware of what I'm spending.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »
    Why don't you drive 'epi'?

Ah well, hmm, at first it was because I was afraid of British roads- mainly roundbouts, but now that ship has sailed and a lifetime of t1 diabetes has damaged my eyesight and given me increasingly crazy, unpredictable low blood sugar. I'd be a proper menace on the road!

This http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-MYM-X-9j_O0/UJi0k28j5ZI/AAAAAAAABeg/lSOsXVqavqk/s1600/HONDA1.jpg was my very first car, and I practically lived in it. It was more than 15 years old when I got it, but it still ran like a dream. A real testament to Japanese engineering. I loved that car, I did! :D
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    bollywood wrote: »
    We don't pay for everything with plastic. There are BYOB restaurants that are cash or check only. I find that paying cash makes me more aware of what I'm spending.

So do places accept checks (or cheques, before someone here complains!) in America?
    There was a small hoo-ha when they stopped them in the UK.
  • Options
    PlatinumStevePlatinumSteve Posts: 4,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks mate. I agree Reddit is unlikely to be objective. Also thanks for your info.

apropos of Reddit I bloody love these two:

http://www.reddit.com/r/britishproblems
    /http://www.reddit.com/r/britishsuccess

No problem. Reddit is cool usually, my BF is a redditor, but they see things from the point of view of white, urban, middle class, twenty year olds, so to them having spotty LTE, and DSL is basically like living in a third world country.
  • Options
    RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why don't ex-pats drive in the UK (if they don't get a company car)?

Is it the cost, or nowhere to park the car in big cities or other reasons?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So do places accept checks (or cheques, before someone here complains!) in America?

Checks are still common here. I like that I can deposit them in my account using an app on my phone just by taking a photo of the check.
  • Options
    bollywoodbollywood Posts: 67,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yes I'm sure in small towns they do. The city, I don't know about that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why don't ex-pats drive in the UK (if they don't get a company car)?

Is it the cost, or nowhere to park the car in big cities or other reasons?

A lot of people won't know how to drive stick shift....and it's the other side of the road. I can do it when visiting but a lot can't.