Options

Scottish Referendum, one week on and....

Comments

• Options
    teresagreenteresagreen Posts: 16,444
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Scots were given a referendum. It was up to the Scottish people to decide nd they said no. Salmond is a poor loser and he and all those who claim it isnt fair, should grow up and get over it.
  • Options
    geemonkeegeemonkee Posts: 2,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kirkfnw wrote: »
    Based on their attitude towards us guys I think we should just thrown them out and give them what they want. Scotland is just that bit extra on the side, it seems a large amount have a bad attitude and they should have a taste of their own medicine. .

Who's "us guys"? :confused:
    And what "bad attitude"?
  • Options
    nessyfencernessyfencer Posts: 9,195
    Forum Member
    BanglaRoad wrote: »
    Alex Salmond was the leader of the SNP and the First Minister of Scotland and so was naturally the leader of the Yes campaign

Except he wasn't. He wasn't even on the Yes campaign's committee.
  • Options
    BanglaRoadBanglaRoad Posts: 57,612
    Forum Member
    Except he wasn't. He wasn't even on the Yes campaign's committee.

How pedantic are you? Alex Salmond as leader of the SNP was considered by everyone to be the leader of the Yes campaign Why was he in the TV debates with Darling if he was not
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How pedantic are you? Alex Salmond as leader of the SNP was considered by everyone to be the leader of the Yes campaign Why was he in the TV debates with Darling if he was not
    Exposure?
    after all CBB isn't until January ...
    he'll come second :D
  • Options
    DianaFireDianaFire Posts: 12,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kirkfnw wrote: »
    Based on their attitude towards us guys I think we should just thrown them out and give them what they want. Scotland is just that bit extra on the side, it seems a large amount have a bad attitude and they should have a taste of their own medicine. .

For someone who's posting from Amsterdam, you're taking it all a bit personally.
  • Options
    Forum Member

It's not pedantics. He is the leader of the SNP and the leader of the Scottish Government. He was not the leader of the Yes campaign. The fact that he ended up looking like the leader of the campaign hurt the campaign and lost votes on the basis that some people do not like him. He was only considered to due to bashing from the No side as they found him an easier target than Nicola Sturgeon.
  • Options
    Ben_Fisher1Ben_Fisher1 Posts: 2,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the Scots are more conservative than they realize.

Of course cameron back tracked, it was a last effort to save his career.:p And make no mistake it was all about his career ,and his party.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think the Scots are more conservative than they realize.

Well I'd like to conserve the UK spelling of realise ;)
  • Options
    SOHCAHTOA88SOHCAHTOA88 Posts: 2,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The NO voters were conned and it makes me sick

Do you give no credibility to the idea that people may have voted no for different reasons than those you cite - that perhaps they were unconvinced by the yes argument that they believed held no clear answers.

Perhaps people gave different weight to different aspects of the debate than you did. Its becoming increasingly arrogant to make so many assumptions over how and why people reached their decision.
  • Options
    PencilBreathPencilBreath Posts: 3,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    love how all this is slowly boring the media it's getting less & less column inches. no doubt "The 45" will try to keep it going in social media lol.

good luck with that pffft.
  • Options
    StarpussStarpuss Posts: 12,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you give no credibility to the idea that people may have voted no for different reasons than those you cite - that perhaps they were unconvinced by the yes argument that they believed held no clear answers.

Perhaps people gave different weight to different aspects of the debate than you did. Its becoming increasingly arrogant to make so many assumptions over how and why people reached their decision.

All the Scottish people I know said they voted No (and I have no reason to not believe them) but none of them say they feel they were pushed into it because of last minute scare tactics. And whatever their, varied, reasons were they also said they just didn't feel what was beng offered by the Yes campaign was solid enough to leave the Union.

Perhaps those people who are in favour of Independance should concentrate on more concrete policies and they might be successful in a future vote.
  • Options
    Lil_MLil_M Posts: 2,105
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So it's 7 days since the referendum here's some stuff that's happened since then...
    1- Cameron backtracks on extra powers for Scotland about 5 hours after the no vote
    2- the oil that was going to run out in 20 years is now gonna last 120 years, the Clair field alone will produce 120k barrels a day
    3- the NHS that was perfectly fine (according to labour) 7 days ago is now being privatised with labour urging for help to save it
    4- plans for the Barnett formula to be scrapped
    5- spending to be cut in Scotland
    6- Fracking given the green light in Scotland....yippee!
    7- Child benefits frozen
    8- Pension age rising to 70
    9- Benefits ban for under 25's
    And number 10 best of all we get to follow America into another war!! Happy days!

Although I wanted Scotland to stay; I got to feel for them

The Scottish deserve better and they should have voted yes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I'd like to conserve the UK spelling of realise ;)

:p no need tae get tetchy 'cause yer still shackled to us wee sonny jock!:D
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    I missed the announcement on the UK Govt. abandoning the promise of extra powers for the Scottish Govt. When did this happen?
    I also missed the discovery of 120 years of oil since last weekend.
    I also missed the announcement to privatise the NHS.
    I also missed the announcement of the plan to scrap the Barnett Formula.

In fact, I can't find any of these pronouncements. Did they actually happen?
  • Options
    Sunset DaleSunset Dale Posts: 1,732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    I missed the announcement on the UK Govt. abandoning the promise of extra powers for the Scottish Govt. When did this happen?

They were all pronounced in cloud cuckoo land, where some of the Yes voters live.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They were all pronounced in cloud cuckoo land, where some of the Yes voters live.
    and many of the no voters freely mingle and don't blow raspberries ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    :p no need tae get tetchy 'cause yer still shackled to us wee sonny jock!:D

Hey... it's your language. I'm just keeping you right ;)
  • Options
    BanditaBandita Posts: 3,735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Originally Posted by maidinscotland
    The NO voters were conned and it makes me sick

Keep your feelings of sickness, I voted NO by post well before the so called VOW. And do not regret it one bit, nor does anyone I know who voted NO. I was not conned, it is of course hard to know but there is always the case YES might have been conned by the well practiced sleight of hand, smoke and mirrors, milk and honey land proposed by the YES team.

It's time some of these yessers moved on, life is back to normal as far as I'm concerned.
  • Options
    Cloudy2Cloudy2 Posts: 6,865
    Forum Member

I have missed all that as well. It's been a long week.

We did find out yesterday that the SNP is privatising part of NHS Scotland by handing our medical records to a PRIVATE company and a US one at that.

I'm sure the yes campaign said there would be no privatisation of NHS Scotland, they also failed to tell us that the budget for NHS Scotland is £400 million over budget and that staff cuts and ward closures are just around the corner.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hey... it's your language. I'm just keeping you right ;)

That's right it is :D such a shame yours is so obscure these days. Ah well.:p
  • Options
    KirkfnwKirkfnw Posts: 1,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DianaFire wrote: »
    For someone who's posting from Amsterdam, you're taking it all a bit personally.

How am I taking it personally? :o There's lots of expats in Amsterdam - what's wrong with that?
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 1,475
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you remove votes for over 65s Scotland voted yes so we are only one generation away from Independence

Sorry Enger-land but your wee union is on its last legs
  • Options
    DerekPAgainDerekPAgain Posts: 2,708
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So it's 7 days since the referendum here's some stuff that's happened since then...
    1- Cameron backtracks on extra powers for Scotland about 5 hours after the no vote
    2- the oil that was going to run out in 20 years is now gonna last 120 years, the Clair field alone will produce 120k barrels a day
    3- the NHS that was perfectly fine (according to labour) 7 days ago is now being privatised with labour urging for help to save it
    4- plans for the Barnett formula to be scrapped
    5- spending to be cut in Scotland
    6- Fracking given the green light in Scotland....yippee!
    7- Child benefits frozen
    8- Pension age rising to 70
    9- Benefits ban for under 25's
    And number 10 best of all we get to follow America into another war!! Happy days!

11 most of this is bullshit
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member

What made it worse is that all these should have been ratified and in place by the end of today. It was originally 48 hours, but the Yes voters said a week is just about acceptable.