Options

Ben Haenow

Comments

• Options
    lulu glulu g Posts: 52,661
    Forum Member
    DUNDEEBOY wrote: »
    I do feel the males in both categories are too similar jake, Paul, Ben, jay they are singing the same dad type ballads.

They are all interchangable
    I agree Jake, Paul, and Jay are virtually indistinguishable - fairly competent but I really don't like that kind of voice at all. Paul, though, is in a whole different category. He and Andrea are the only male singers I like this year and I fear one of them may not get through to the live finals because TPTB regard them as being 'too similar' (and not 'eye candy').
  • Options
    RecordPlayerRecordPlayer Posts: 22,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like Ben's and Jake's voices best, then Paul's. Jay's voice is too whiney for me.
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suppose it depends on what you like and I obviously like Dad type ballads :blush: However I think Ben stands out among all of these as he was the only one I could actually hear above the baying mob :cool: His voice is actually very different too.

I agree. I can't see any similarity at all between them. Jay is all angst ridden and navel gazing which I don't get. Paul can sing but he is a bit too much about showing how good he is without any real connection and Jake would be nowhere without his looks.
    Ben for me is the one with by far the best voice but also has charisma and stage presence in spades
  • Options
    CranberryappleCranberryapple Posts: 12,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, love his down to earth, no frills sob story :D

Thought I'd bump this thread as I think Ben is amazing. Loved his song choice last night. He seems old fashioned but in a great retro way. Love his voice, his style, his utter lack of sob story ;-) Can't wait to hear him in the lives, assuming he will make it.
    He's on my shortlist, love him.
    I love him. His voice is great and he's been consistent so far, and I like that there are no sob stories and whining with him. I think he'll go far, and whether he wins or not, he'll get a shot at some kind of deal.
    Blondie X wrote: »
    I agree. I can't see any similarity at all between them. Jay is all angst ridden and navel gazing which I don't get. Paul can sing but he is a bit too much about showing how good he is without any real connection and Jake would be nowhere without his looks.
    Ben for me is the one with by far the best voice but also has charisma and stage presence in spades

I'm on board with all of the above posts...:)

I so agree with everything you have said Blondie. You hit it on the head for me:cool:
  • Options
    fireemblemcrazefireemblemcraze Posts: 7,436
    Forum Member
    Personally I think they're all quite different. As Blondie said Jay has such a distinct tone which I personally love - it feels more folksy and soulful, Jake I feel is a bit more pop in the vein of WGWGs, while Ben is distinctly more rock and roll. And how anyone can say someone soulful like Paul and someone rocky like Ben are at all similar is beyond me?

And they're not just 'Dad-type ballads' - there's a whole genre of music dedicated to this type of sound which is still popular today.
  • Options
    aliyah101aliyah101 Posts: 13,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ben is my favourite Boy/Over, i loveee his effortless performance style and that grit in his voice, hope Simon mentors him well. (He probably won't) :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't see Ben as rock at all. I see him as a proper R&B singer when the term actually meant something and didn't apply to the watered down pop crap that goes by the name today. He really does have a bluesy quality to his voice which would lend itself to soul with an edge
  • Options
    Mina_CameronMina_Cameron Posts: 1,563
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blondie X wrote: »
    I don't see Ben as rock at all. I see him as a proper R&B singer when the term actually meant something and didn't apply to the watered down pop crap that goes by the name today. He really does have a bluesy quality to his voice which would lend itself to soul with an edge

I agree. I would love to hear him sing some really old school blues, seated on a chair so he can't do his awkward shuffling, and just let it rip. I found a few of vids of him singing with his old band and he's sounding his best now, nice progression though when they move away from the more pop-y sounds. It really does feel like he's someone who should've caught a break before now but everything happens in its own time.
  • Options
    tigragirltigragirl Posts: 13,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really liked him and loved the arrangement he used, I really liked jay/ jake, the guy with blonde hair who started off singing with his eyes closed. the Italian guy was also good. So far for me the boys are ahead of the girls in the talent stakes this year.
  • Options
    tigragirltigragirl Posts: 13,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really liked him and loved the arrangement he used, I really liked jay/ jake, the guy with blonde hair who started off singing with his eyes closed( was that jake or jay). the Italian guy was also good. So far for me the boys are ahead of the girls in the talent stakes this year.
  • Options
    ArtyAttackArtyAttack Posts: 67,513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Love him. Great voice and doesnt need to get by on a sob story. If he gets through to the live shows I would love him to get the most suitable songs for that voice so I hope he doesnt play second fiddle to Jay for Simon who is obviously going to get through..
  • Options
    Jules_ThornleyJules_Thornley Posts: 2,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really like Ben. From first audition. Reminded me a little of Will Young. Am I wrong or right?!
  • Options
    Rachel_RyanRachel_Ryan Posts: 110
    Forum Member
    He's my favourite, but gawd sakes if they mention the fact he's a van driver one more time....
  • Options
    HermanazoHermanazo Posts: 2,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nice bloke, handsome, raspy voice that may verge in the monotonous. He should lose the golden chain.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO FIT!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 43
    Forum Member
    Surely, SURELY!

last night must have changed some peoples opinions, he's leagues above Jay James.
  • Options
    lulu glulu g Posts: 52,661
    Forum Member
    Tredder wrote: »
    Surely, SURELY!

last night must have changed some peoples opinions, he's leagues above Jay James.
    No. I'm not impressed by either of them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tredder wrote: »
    Surely, SURELY!

Totally different league. Really don't get the Jay hype but Ben singing makes the hairs on my neck stand up. Absolutely fantastic
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 30
    Forum Member
    I love his voice's tone, it's beautiful but sometimes he's all over the place. He can do much better because his voice still can be limed.

Someone has mentioned his style? So awful, he needs to improve in his clothing. Dress like a teenager boy...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 43
    Forum Member
    Improve in what way Barbara?

He's only worn Jeans and a t shirt
  • Options
    delzdelz Posts: 1,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hes nice and very good but cant connect with him for some reason.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 434
    Forum Member
    I really like him. His version of Wild Horses nearly put me off due to his poor pub singing habits of screaming a song but his judges house performance got him 100% back on track for me. Likeable, great grit to his technique, versatile and unlike Jay, actually has a solid vocal range.
  • Options
    Serenity.Serenity. Posts: 262
    Forum Member
    He's my pick to win the whole thing (if he makes the live shows obviously!) :)
  • Options
    Kyle123Kyle123 Posts: 25,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Serenity. wrote: »
    He's my pick to win the whole thing (if he makes the live shows obviously!) :)

Mine too. There are a few others I'd prefer to see win, but I really think that this guy is going to go very very deep in this competition.
  • Options
    trevor tigertrevor tiger Posts: 37,998
    Forum Member
    He stormed it last night at Judge's Houses :cool: He Has to make Lives, surely.