Options

did anyone else feel sorry for Dean?

Comments

• Options
    Lizzie BrookesLizzie Brookes Posts: 15,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I felt sympathy for him for the first part of the episode - I think there was genuine pain there.

After Nancy came in though, the sympathy vanished - it was anger, jealousy and rage that caused him to lash out at Linda & as soon as she said she felt maternal feelings for him, he seemed determined to punish her for it. It was awful and any chance that he could ever be redeemed vanished. He knew what he was doing, he just didn't care.

All my sympathy goes to Linda.

For me the turning point was when he saw Linda with her family and came back so I'm surprised that in your case the turning point was when Nancy came in.

It was sadly power/control oriented but I'm unsure whether he knew that he was raping her as I thought he was meant to be delusional and to think it was a one night stand.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OP seriously how can you make this thread? Dean is a rapist he attacked an innocent women who was only comforting him after his mum left. Linda didnt deserve that and she is now scared for life

The OP felt sorry for him during the first part of the episode when he was genuinely vurnerable and broke down in Linda's arms. I did too. For me the turning point was when he came back after seeing her with her family. For another poster it was when Nancy came in.

I do agree with the bit in bold though.
  • Options
    soap-leasoap-lea Posts: 23,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP seriously how can you make this thread? Dean is a rapist he attacked an innocent women who was only comforting him after his mum left. Linda didnt deserve that and she is now scared for life

but he wasn't a rapist before he raped someone!

no she didnt deserve it.

I can't believe that people are only focusing on the actual rape and not the build up to it.

at the end of the day its not real so yes I can seriously make this thread and ask questions about the 30mins of tv I just watched. same as you did with your thread
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I actually did feel anger when he swaggered out the door

That's interesting. I must admit I was surprised to feel nothing towards him instead of hate or anger - shrugs.
  • Options
    CherryRoseCherryRose Posts: 13,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

She never said Linda did deserve it!! The OP asked did anyone feel sorry for Dean BEFORE he raped her, the scenes leading up to the rape.
  • Options
    hunter23hunter23 Posts: 3,097
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    he wasn't messed up when he first joined. he only seemed to get messed up once he came out of prison. which was his own fault
  • Options
    NihongaNihonga Posts: 10,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree that Dean is not right in the head and I don't think he knows he raped her though he clearly did.

Did you feel hatred or nothing towards Dean when he raped her? I felt nothing.

I felt nothing also, simply because I know he is not right in the head and I understand that. The whole confession scene told us enough of what is going inside his mind.

It is often said that rape is about power/control. But I don't think it is power/control over Linda per se, but over what she symbolises that his own mind has a problem with and can't deal with. That sense of belonging, family, acceptance, normality, the feminine etc. which he lacks in his life and clearly wants.

I agree that he turned when he heard Linda and the Carter children downstairs.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nihonga wrote: »
    I felt nothing, simply because I know he is not right in the head and I understand that. The whole confession scene told us enough of what is going inside his mind.

It is often said that rape is about power/control. But I don't think it is power/control over Linda per se, but over what she symbolises that his own mind has a problem with and can't deal with. That sense of belonging, family, acceptance, normality, the feminine etc.

I agree that he turned when he heard Linda and the Carter children downstairs.

Are you sure it wasn't power and control over Linda? I hoped it wouldn't be but changed my mind when I saw it. I agree he's not right in the head though.
  • Options
    NihongaNihonga Posts: 10,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are you sure it wasn't power and control over Linda? I hoped it wouldn't be but changed my mind when I saw it. I agree he's not right in the head though.

I don't dismiss that it was power and control over Linda because clearly the person he raped was Linda. But he didn't rape Lauren and
    I doubt he will go on to rape Stacey (who ironically has been raped, but it would be interesting to see where that relationship goes).
    I just think (for me anyway) it has to do with Linda but also what Linda embodies. Otherwise why rape Linda not Lauren if it was just about power/control over a female? Why fixate so much on Linda?

What is even more odd is that he did have a tendency to want to have power over Lauren (e.g. styling Lauren to go in a hairstyle he preferred and she didn't like and she rebelled, and his rage at being dumped). It was like he wanted his own Stepford Wife modeled in his own image. But that image is what Linda signifies, at least to him I think.

Jeez, this s/l is already messing with my own head.
  • Options
    kelly_barnardkelly_barnard Posts: 556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NO Sympathy from from me!
  • Options
    SnowStorm86SnowStorm86 Posts: 17,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He is a monster.
  • Options
    Colonel_JasperColonel_Jasper Posts: 1,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Did you even read what the OP said?
  • Options
    SwanGirlSwanGirl Posts: 2,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I felt sorry for him up until the point of him walking downstairs and seeing Linda with the kids. I get the impression that he is extremely jealous of the life Nancy, Lee and Johnny have had and seeing them hugging Linda made something in him 'snap' and he decided to do the worst thing he could think of.

He might well have been raped in prison but that is no excuse for his behaviour, in fact if he himself is a victim of rape he should know better than anyone how much that can destroy you and shatter your life. And yes, he definitely does have mental issues regarding his childhood but he knew what he was doing to Linda and he could have stopped.

Any sympathy I had for him has now gone because there is no excuse for what he did.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nihonga wrote: »
    I don't dismiss that it was power and control over Linda because clearly the person he raped was Linda. But he didn't rape Lauren and
    I doubt he will go on to rape Stacey (who ironically has been raped, but it would be interesting to see where that relationship goes).
    I just think (for me anyway) it has to do with Linda but also what Linda embodies. Otherwise why rape Linda not Lauren if it was just about power/control over a female? Why fixate so much on Linda?

What is even more odd is that he did have a tendency to want to have power over Lauren (e.g. styling Lauren to go in a hairstyle he preferred and she didn't like and she rebelled, and his rage at being dumped). It was like he wanted his own Stepford Wife modeled in his own image. But that image is what Linda signifies, at least to him I think.

Jeez, this s/l is already messing with my own head.

You're right that he didn't attack Lauren and probably won't attack Stacey so at least he isn't as evil and twisted as Finn O Connor,. but having said that, the way it happened does make me feel very uncomfortable and sadly I don't think he can be redeemed from this.
  • Options
    issy17issy17 Posts: 467
    Forum Member
    I felt sorry for Dean up until the rape scene. From the rape onwards, i despised him. got NO sympathy for Dean. I was feeling so sorry for Linda :(
  • Options
    AntoniaAAntoniaA Posts: 6,640
    Forum Member
    I felt sorry for Dean in the last episode when he was crying out for his mum and also when he was baring his soul to Linda. However I did not feel sorry for him when he raped her, it was dreadful, such a soulless, brutal act. He may well be a disturbed young man - but that doesn't mean he didn't know what he was doing. Shouldn't have been shown pre-watershed.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    ArtyAttack wrote: »
    Agree. Pure scum and I am shocked that anyone could feel sorry for him after that. :o

Exactly NOT what the OP said - they said did you feel sorry for him BEFORE and yes I did, just as Linda did.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    duckylucky wrote: »
    That reply of mine was not to the OP but to someone who posted that Dean was raped in prison

As far as the rape of Linda is concerned it is irrelevant.
  • Options
    srhgtssrhgts Posts: 8,941
    Forum Member
    I had felt sympathy for him before, but certainly not during this episode. I might have been able to when he was just talking to Linda if I hadn't known what was coming next.
  • Options
    Pink_SmurfPink_Smurf Posts: 6,883
    Forum Member
    I didn't feel sorry for him as he has previously groped Linda and kissed her against her will. He should have left her alone after that but still said things to her that given that he raped her afterwards were disturbing. I just found him creepy in that scene before the rape.
  • Options
    curvybabescurvybabes Posts: 13,223
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I felt sorry for him up until he closed the kitchen door.

Matt,s acting has been excellent.
  • Options
    Broken_ArrowBroken_Arrow Posts: 10,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Up until this episode I could say he's not a rapist yet since it hadn't happened but I knew this was going to be the one where the rape took place so I couldn't really be sympathetic towards Dean. The writers did a brilliant job of explaining the reasons behind the rape - abandonment issues, jealousy, maternal hatred, egotism, mental illness - it was all there in no uncertain terms. I certainly had an understanding of the character but I did not sympathise with him or feel sorry for him.
  • Options
    Gigi MichaelsGigi Michaels Posts: 1,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was done realistically...too realistically for anyone who's experienced it, I reckon. I did have sympathy for Dean and I imagine many others did, too. But the act voids that sympathy. He needs help but he's still a rapist. I see Linda changing because of this...maybe less motherly, less willing to help even her own children through crisis. Well done by all and a difficult story to have viewed in a way that didn't cheapen the viewers' maturity.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AntoniaA wrote: »
    I felt sorry for Dean in the last episode when he was crying out for his mum and also when he was baring his soul to Linda. However I did not feel sorry for him when he raped her, it was dreadful, such a soulless, brutal act. He may well be a disturbed young man - but that doesn't mean he didn't know what he was doing. Shouldn't have been shown pre-watershed.

I thought they handled it well.

Me too. The turning point for me was when he came back upstairs after seeing her with her family.

Poor Linda. :( I can't help feeling frustrated that Mick didn't notice something was wrong.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Up until this episode I could say he's not a rapist yet since it hadn't happened but I knew this was going to be the one where the rape took place so I couldn't really be sympathetic towards Dean. The writers did a brilliant job of explaining the reasons behind the rape - abandonment issues, jealousy, maternal hatred, egotism, mental illness - it was all there in no uncertain terms. I certainly had an understanding of the character but I did not sympathise with him or feel sorry for him.
    It was done realistically...too realistically for anyone who's experienced it, I reckon. I did have sympathy for Dean and I imagine many others did, too. But the act voids that sympathy. He needs help but he's still a rapist. I see Linda changing because of this...maybe less motherly, less willing to help even her own children through crisis. Well done by all and a difficult story to have viewed in a way that didn't cheapen the viewers' maturity.

For me the turning point was when he came back upstairs after seeing her with her family. I sympathised with Dean up until that point.

I agree with the bit in bold but I am sorry that it didn't stem purely from his obsession with her and that it ended up being power/control oriented after al rather than losing control of himself - what then was the point of him getting obsessed with her and wanting to supplant Mick?

I agree that Dean needs help but his actions were too abhorrent for me to feel anything towards him.