Options

The Code Starting 11/10/14 BBC4 9pm

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FrankBT wrote: »
    Rather disappointing from what I've seen of the first ep so far. Stereotype characters, contrived tension, and poor script etc. I might give the 2nd ep a go, but not in a rush and I don't think I'll be bothering with the rest after it.

Totally agree. Too ponderous, too cliché-ridden, poorly written and poorly acted.
  • Options
    GatehouseGatehouse Posts: 486
    Forum Member
    Eraserhead wrote: »
    I enjoyed the opening two episodes and will definitely keep watching.

I knew Jesse's "girlfriend" was too good to be true but I'm hoping she'll have a change of heart.

And I like the fact they used "We Built This City" as part of the torture routine. Yeah, that would drive me insane, too :)

I think she will: she's only working for them because she's being forced too. I think she genuinely likes/admires Jesse.

And yeah, nasty torture! I suppose it could have been Steps...
  • Options
    renard grisrenard gris Posts: 1,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's nice to see "Tilly Devine" (Chelsie Preston Crayford) from Underbelly 4, making an appearance in this Drama. :)
  • Options
    KennyTKennyT Posts: 20,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just caught up with this.

I guess that since we think we know who the bad guys are already, then they aren't - and there's a bigger badder baddie still to appear...

K
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 407
    Forum Member
    I hate to be judgemental too early .. but the first episodes cam across very derivative. Music intervals from the Scandi series. Lots of very tired clichés. I will watch no 3 to give it another chance.
  • Options
    TeddybleadsTeddybleads Posts: 6,814
    Forum Member
    saoir wrote: »
    I hate to be judgemental too early .. but the first episodes cam across very derivative. Music intervals from the Scandi series. Lots of very tired clichés. I will watch no 3 to give it another chance.

Yes, I agree.Lots of techniques borrowed from other series but overall I found it quite watchable if a little unremarkable.
  • Options
    mustard99mustard99 Posts: 2,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I agree.Lots of techniques borrowed from other series but overall I found it quite watchable if a little unremarkable.

Nicely put.

To my mind, its all been done before, it has been done better before, but I'll still watch it because I like this kind of tv and its not awful.
  • Options
    pubeypubey Posts: 202
    Forum Member
    The cinematographer likes time-lapse!!

Thought it's ok but nothing particularly special. Will finish it off seeing as it's short.
  • Options
    mashamoto79mashamoto79 Posts: 2,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've got up to episode 4 and have given up. I was doing other things when it was on and can't remember what happened so obviously I don't have any interest and is there point watching the last two episodes and wasting two hours.

I did want this to be good.
  • Options
    cattygirlcattygirl Posts: 91
    Forum Member
    fiagomez wrote: »
    it had me hooked right from the word go and i cannot wait for the rest!! so glad that there is something decent and exciting for me to look forward to on a saturday night, although i appreciate not everyone will like it....

I'm with you, BBC 4 programmers know their stuff. I watch on catch up so I can catch up, as so much is packed in.
    So far very impressed with the code. Its really raw and basic. When I saw the 2nd episode last night I nearly gave up watching, because of the such superb acting of the person playing the autistic man because it was so upsetting.
    I will continue as Its not only a crime story but science fiction hopefully.:)
  • Options
    nemesisisnemesisis Posts: 6,180
    Forum Member
    I am really enjoying this on catch up - but agree with "cattygirl" hope its fiction as the scenes where Jess is abducted and tortured re: breach of security are horrible to watch
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why do they all look so bloody dirty? The camera work is, I suppose, meant to be raw and gritty......to me, it's just horrible. I am having trouble with wanting to keep watching it, it is all so drawn out. :(
  • Options
    JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was doing other things when it was on and can't remember what happened so obviously ...

There's a clue in there somewhere.
  • Options
    InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why do they all look so bloody dirty? The camera work is, I suppose, meant to be raw and gritty......to me, it's just horrible. I am having trouble with wanting to keep watching it, it is all so drawn out. :(

I'm enjoying it but it's certainly eliminated any interest I might have had in visiting Australia.
  • Options
    EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Government cover-up over nuclear programme...it's all getting a bit "Edge of Darkness".

Still enjoying this, though.
  • Options
    via_487via_487 Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eraserhead wrote: »
    Government cover-up over nuclear programme...it's all getting a bit "Edge of Darkness".
    Those were my thoughts too.

And a reasonably enjoyable series.
  • Options
    mashamoto79mashamoto79 Posts: 2,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JeffG1 wrote: »
    There's a clue in there somewhere.

Not really I was watching it on my laptop and was surfing around because I was bored and nothing at all was pulling me back so I could give what I was watching my full attention.

Some people like it, others don't.
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    So presumably Hani's parents grassed up her friend's family in order to make sure they could get out?
  • Options
    Miriam_RMiriam_R Posts: 4,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm just catching up on this and I lreally like it so far. Intrigued by the brother, Jesse, in terms of himself just as a person and then in addition to him in the overall story. Nice to see Lucy Lawless in this, I know she's been in other recent stuff, but I don't watch those shows so am (personally) seeing her in something again for quite along time.

This beats Crimes of Passion, in the viewing sense of actually really grabbing you and being moreish (well imo that is).
  • Options
    dosanjh1dosanjh1 Posts: 8,727
    Forum Member
    I crashed out 4 episodes yesterday, 2 on catch up and 2 live.

It's really good. The brothers relationship is really interesting and touching, for those who say it's cliched, the sibling relationship is not something I've seen before.

I think the actor who plays Ned has done a great job making him a cynical but caring character with enough moral dilemmas and sometimes chosing wrong and accepting the consequences. A really multi layered character as are all the protagonists in the show.
  • Options
    JeffersonJefferson Posts: 3,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nemesisis wrote: »
    I am really enjoying this on catch up - but agree with "cattygirl" hope its fiction as the scenes where Jess is abducted and tortured re: breach of security are horrible to watch

Sadism and torture attract viewers.
  • Options
    JeffersonJefferson Posts: 3,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not really I was watching it on my laptop and was surfing around because I was bored and nothing at all was pulling me back so I could give what I was watching my full attention.

Some people like it, others don't.

You should invest in a telly. They're brilliant.
  • Options
    plateletplatelet Posts: 26,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    did anyone recognise the guy at the end (mostly) who was in that strange bbc1 drama/thriller which was set in new zealand i think? it had holly hunter in it... atleast, i'm sure it was him and he was infact the perpetrator who was drugging and abusing the kids.

Top of the Lake? (can't comment on the actor as I gave up on it quickly)
  • Options
    LoolabelleLoolabelle Posts: 552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it had me hooked right from the word go and i cannot wait for the rest!! so glad that there is something decent and exciting for me to look forward to on a saturday night, although i appreciate not everyone will like it....

Me too. One of the few series I've watched recently that makes me want to wish my life away for the concluding episodes!
  • Options
    RecordPlayerRecordPlayer Posts: 22,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm looking forward to the final episodes. My nerves are already wracked.:o