Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What on earth would Pat say?

"What a strange day."
  • Options
    Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,496
    Forum Member
    Terry N wrote: »

Further confirmation, as if any was needed, that Mike Read is a massive bellend.
  • Options
    2+2=52+2=5 Posts: 24,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mike Read....how low the once mighty have fallen. Wow...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Relax?
    Mike Reid refused to play Frankie Goes to Hollywood's 'Relax' in 1984 as he thought it was obscene. The Beeb then banned it (sort of). became one of the biggest singles of the year
    tiacat wrote: »
    This has reminded me that there are quite a few songs sung in cod Caribbean accents
    Im sure there's more.
    Pretty well every US artist that's tried to play reggae, they can't get the rhythm right and it turns into a sludgy mid-tempo mess. Jimmy Buffet does quite a lot of Caribbean stuff.
    He's no DJ either :D My OH (retired DJ) once called him up on air to correct one of his many false statements.
    Our pub music quiz team took a BBC team on in a 24 hour marathon for charity and he did 2 hours. He was crap on anything other than mainstream pop from the 1960s on, and we thrashed them (without changing the team for the whole 24 hours other than wee breaks owing to much beer) :D:D:D
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Our pub music quiz team took a BBC team on in a 24 hour marathon for charity and he did 2 hours. He was crap on anything other than mainstream pop from the 1960s on, and we thrashed them (without changing the team for the whole 24 hours other than wee breaks owing to much beer) :D:D:D

That's seriously impressive. Our film quiz team did a dawn-to-dusk contest one summer day a while ago. I lasted just six hours. I bowed out when I got the answer wrong for an embarrassingly easy question*. Honestly, how did you manage to keep it going for 24 hours?

*Q: What's the title of director Walter Hill's first film? A: Hard Times (1975).
  • Options
    JakobjoeJakobjoe Posts: 8,235
    Forum Member
    i listened to it earlier. its actually really good.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Takae wrote: »
    Honestly, how did you manage to keep it going for 24 hours?
    Beer, and utter stupidity :p
    There was a 'songs at 78' round and we got the last one right by guessing Motorhead as the least likely answer :D
  • Options
    hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its probably still trending on Twitter now.
  • Options
    Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,496
    Forum Member
    Mike Reid refused to play Frankie Goes to Hollywood's 'Relax' in 1984 as he thought it was obscene. The Beeb then banned it (sort of). became one of the biggest singles of the year

He also refused to play "Fascist Groove Thing" because he saw it as an attack on the (Tory) government.
  • Options
    dd68dd68 Posts: 17,842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He is a bit of a saddo
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This has reminded me that there are quite a few songs sung in cod Caribbean accents

Elton John, 10cc, UB40

Im sure there's more.

Oh, there are tons.

But if you're trying to promote a political party that gets, whether rightly or wrongly, associated with racism, I'm pretty sure this is a terrible idea.
  • Options
    tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stoatie wrote: »
    Oh, there are tons.

But if you're trying to promote a political party that gets, whether rightly or wrongly, associated with racism, I'm pretty sure this is a terrible idea.

Well Im wondering if it is really, its almost like they're ploughing on regardless, loud and proud and in a way you have to admire their brass neck.

On the other hand I wonder why Mike Read has done this anyway, I presume he wasnt asked to.
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well Im wondering if it is really, its almost like they're ploughing on regardless, loud and proud and in a way you have to admire their brass neck.

Yeah, there's that, but then you have to wonder what message you're sending.
    On the other hand I wonder why Mike Read has done this anyway, I presume he wasnt asked to.

Yeah, this is something about which I'm curious. He's not taking the piss AFAIK because he IS a UKIP supporter, and whether he did it off his own back or not, Farage retweeted it, so it's an interesting thing as to whether it's now "official" or not, and whether Read just woke up yesterday and went "you know what, that party I vote for, I'm gonna do a song for them". And sure, if he did, then fair play, I'm a great believer in people creating art for the causes in which they believe. But going back to my previous point... given the context, was this wise?

I guess public opinion will decide.
  • Options
    tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stoatie wrote: »
    Yeah, there's that, but then you have to wonder what message you're sending.

Yeah, this is something about which I'm curious. He's not taking the piss AFAIK because he IS a UKIP supporter, and whether he did it off his own back or not, Farage retweeted it, so it's an interesting thing as to whether it's now "official" or not, and whether Read just woke up yesterday and went "you know what, that party I vote for, I'm gonna do a song for them". And sure, if he did, then fair play, I'm a great believer in people creating art for the causes in which they believe. But going back to my previous point... given the context, was this wise?

I guess public opinion will decide.

I think in many ways, they dont really care about their message because they are full steam ahead with their lack of policy and talk of limiting immigration and dropping from the EU. Thats all they have. That in itself isnt racist, although they are accused of that and most of their members seem to have difficulty with equality and diversity issues! I think it will work for them in a back to front way, their one and only policy isnt actually racist, they do something which some people say is racist, causes all this debate everywhere (you should see the Guardian comments site, its spontaneously combusted), works in their favour in a peverse way. Probably havent really explained that very well.

Farage is a bit silly though, he needs to hope that nothing nasty comes up from the past about Read.
  • Options
    davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He works for Radio Berkshire (no pun intended). I think you might be overestimating his skill level!

Does he still do Magic Breakfast (or is it mid mornings) at the weekend.
  • Options
    nethwennethwen Posts: 23,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm very relieved to learn that it isn't John Denver's wonderful 'Calypso' that Mike is singing LOL:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZonmQZG0GQ

^ Stunning - with original video. :cool:
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member

Farage is a bit silly though, he needs to hope that nothing nasty comes up from the past about Read.

Well there is this from the link which is pretty nasty IMO.

'He rapped for 10 minutes during a dinner at a Conservative conference and expressed a desire to stand as the party’s candidate for London mayor in 2006'.
  • Options
    ChristopherJChristopherJ Posts: 976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh the glam and the glitter and the boys are back
    LIke they've never ever been away!
    Slade ain't afraid to get down and get with it
    Cat crept in blah blah blah
    Blah blah blah blah blah blah
    And Gary's still the leader of the gang!

He retired this one a few years ago though, for some reason.
  • Options
    DadDancerDadDancer Posts: 3,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cool!..... lots of lefty outrage with those comments accompanying that Guardian article :p.

Not a fan of Mike Read though, he were a right prude when it came to Frankie Goes to Hollywood's Relax single. Mary Whitehouse would have been proud of him.

The offending cover for those too young to remember ;-):

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_xGfP3wuiQ_0/TDzjxdPYAyI/AAAAAAAAB2g/a053cjEfEbk/s1600/Frankie+11.jpg
  • Options
    JeffersonJefferson Posts: 3,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Moggio wrote: »
    Do you really think this will wind people up?

It's more likely to make them cringe.

I can only assume Mike Read is having a mental breakdown or something.

That asian dj has already been on newsnight being outraged.

The black commonwealth spokesman for ukip had to tell him to get a grip.
  • Options
    BRITLANDBRITLAND Posts: 3,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Petition to get this to No1 :D
  • Options
    Flat MattFlat Matt Posts: 7,023
    Forum Member
    OK, the kindest thing I can say about this song is that it's shite.

However, I'm voting for UKIP at the next election and I hope lots of others do the same. It's more a protest vote than anything because I'm heartily sick of the other parties.
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dd68 wrote: »
    He is a bit of a saddo
    And a long time "wannabe".
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Relax?