Options

BBC Poppy Fascism season has started early

Comments

• Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Evo102 wrote: »
    So they may be pressured or feel pressured to wear one of these myriad of buttons and ribbons but they aren't pressured to wear the poppy:confused:

It has been shown that they are not pressured to wear a poppy as you can tell from people being seen not wearing one.

Some people seem to find it hard to understand the majority of people actually want to wear one to commemorate people killed in wars.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just switched over to Sky News and they've got poppies on there too. So your BBC theory holds no water.

As for the high street unfortunately that's partly due to a lack of sellers. I've not seen one yet. When I do see one I'll be buying one.

I think the street sellers are mainly in the last week. Bulk orders of poppies are delivered to organisations like the BBC in advance for logistical reasons.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chris1964 wrote: »
    Agreed. Personally (and I don't know if its a male thing) I seem incapable of affixing a poppy that actually stays where it is supposed to stay.
    Poppy sellers out in force in Nuneaton today and seemed to be doing good business.

One factor might be that in the past, many people wore heavy overcoats that could withstand a pin being put through it without damage but now people wear outer jackets of various type of waterproof material and they are not going to put a pin through something costing hundreds of pounds.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Evo102 wrote: »
    ALL of them? And if I recall correctly Italian, German and Spanish former footballers on Football Focus and such programmes?

Most foreigners are quite happy to wear one once they understand the tradition in the UK.
  • Options
    culturemancultureman Posts: 11,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    Do you wear a poppy ?

I do through choice. But equally I recognise that say half the population doesn't and it would be nice to see that diversity honestly reflected by our major broadcasters.
  • Options
    missbtsportmissbtsport Posts: 346
    Forum Member
    poppies are just a cop out wear one and you have done your bit . their are more things you can do than wear a poppy.
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Poppies are worn in all Commonwealth countries
  • Options
    Evo102Evo102 Posts: 13,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    It has been shown that they are not pressured to wear a poppy as you can tell from people being seen not wearing one.

Some people seem to find it hard to understand the majority of people actually want to wear one to commemorate people killed in wars.

You have made that statement before on this thread, it doesn't make it true. I can only use the evidence of my own eyes and say that any news/sport or current affairs programmes I have seen today all presenters are wearing poppies.
  • Options
    WutheringWuthering Posts: 1,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do not get the big poppy debate that blows up on the internet every year, it's as absurd as it is hilarious. How do some of you cope in the real world? No, seriously.
  • Options
    vauxhall1964vauxhall1964 Posts: 10,373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dan Sette wrote: »
    Poppy fascism??

I was going to post a long rant, but I'm sorry OP you have really offended me.

Reported.

You really need to grow a pair.

Here's a tissue.
  • Options
    Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cultureman wrote: »
    I do through choice. But equally I recognise that say half the population doesn't and it would be nice to see that diversity honestly reflected by our major broadcasters.

Good point, but many people do say they do not feel the need to wear their support in the form of a badge-so it doesn't necessarily mean those that don't wear a poppy are against the principle.
  • Options
    Tony TigerTony Tiger Posts: 2,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The mere fact that people appearing on TV are offered poppies as a matter of routine is wrong in my eyes. It should be a pro-active choice from their end, not a reactive one. But besides that, I have seen with my own eyes runners going around a studio and placing them on people, with no asking beforehand. I've also been told (by employees) this is par for the course and that refusal is typically met with an attempt to persuade them otherwise. Ultimately it is their choice but with the issue being so slanted in one direction and the public outcry any time someone appears on screen without one, it's no wonder the vast majority just go with it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So a sweeping generalisation without a shred of evidence to support it...move along please, nothing to see here.
  • Options
    bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    Most foreigners are quite happy to wear one once they understand the tradition in the UK.

Not from what I see at work, and not sure if they get the reason. Not just from the non wearing of poppies but the attitude to a silence on November 11th.

However back to TV Land. Caroline Lucas (Green MP) wearing the poppy and a white poppy. Andrew Marr show.
  • Options
    calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tony Tiger wrote: »
    The mere fact that people appearing on TV are offered poppies as a matter of routine is wrong in my eyes. It should be a pro-active choice from their end, not a reactive one. But besides that, I have seen with my own eyes runners going around a studio and placing them on people, with no asking beforehand. I've also been told (by employees) this is par for the course and that refusal is typically met with an attempt to persuade them otherwise. Ultimately it is their choice but with the issue being so slanted in one direction and the public outcry any time someone appears on screen without one, it's no wonder the vast majority just go with it.

If people are being offered them, then surely it is still their choice?

You may as well say that people walking down the High Street shouldn't be offered them either.

And I don't buy the argument about TV (I don't know why the BBC have been singled out?). I would imagine that people who don't wear them probably aren't all people who object to wearing them, but most will be people who haven't really thought about it one way or the other, and just haven't gone out of their way to wear one.

But I'd wager that the majority of people who don't wear one would have no problem whatsoever wearing one if, for whatever reason, they happened to be appearing on tv and were offered one.

It just seems incredible to me that people take offence at the idea that people appearing on tv are encouraged to wear a poppy which, after all, commemorates all those who have given their lives in wars.

To be honest, comparing this to fascism that actually was fought against in wars is a little offensive and belittles the sacrifices that people made.
  • Options
    nataliannatalian Posts: 4,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ulchabhan wrote: »
    Because the BBC's poppy season officially started today. How much do you want to bet that the One Show presenters will be wearing one on Monday? And how much do you want to bet that the vast majority of your work colleagues will not?

The proportion of my colleagues who wear poppies at this time of year is around 100%! I don't work for the BBC incidentally.
  • Options
    pedrokpedrok Posts: 16,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just has a look at three live programmes there, Sky Sports News, Sunday Supplement, both on Sky, and Sunday Morning Live, also the Football League Show repeat from last night and MoTD from last night.. There are 19 'presenters' in those 5 programmes, every single one of them has a poppy on. I don't know about the others, but every poppy I have bought tends to curl up and look a bit bashed about 5 minutes after putting it on. All 19 poppies mentioned above have that new, uncreased look, that suggests that each individual has been handed that poppy just as they were about to go on screen. Now, all 19 may have worn a poppy anyway, but it does suggest that they are given the poppy to wear, rather than each individual making the pro-active decision to wear a poppy of their own.

It is also interesting that at least half the poppies are being worn on casual shirts, not jackets. I don't know about others, but I do not wear a poppy on my shirt whilst I sit about at home or in work. Yet half of those who appeared in the programmes above wore poppies on a casual shirt. It will also be interesting watching the foreign news reporters, from all channels, who seem to have found a poppy seller in places as far afield as New York, Beijing, Seoul, Sydney, Rio or whatever part of the world they are reporting from.

The OP is unfair to pick on the BBC however he raises an issue around whether there is any pressure put on those who appear on tv having to wear a poppy. And of course there is pressure. It may not come from the BBC or Sky, but from self appointed moral guardians such as the Mail, the Express, the Sun and other parts of the media.

As Remembrance Day approaches watch the poppies get bigger and more sparkly on the likes of Strictly and X Factor. I find that offensive. Using poppies as bling. The beauty and simplicity of the poppy is what makes it remarkable. To wear something that sparkles like a beacon and is the size of a dinner plate is unacceptable in my view.

One final thing, no one should be made to explain why they would not wear a poppy.

edit, just noticed a white poppy now on Sunday Morning Live. All 4 on Goals on Sunday wearing a poppy, nice a new, and being worn on casual clothing.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Presenters can indeed be given a (new) poppy to wear (i don't think anyone would want to see a curled-up, tatty-looking and threadbare poppy being paraded to the nation on live TV), it does not mean that they have to accept or or wear it though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pedrok wrote: »
    Just has a look at three live programmes there, Sky Sports News, Sunday Supplement, both on Sky, and Sunday Morning Live, also the Football League Show repeat from last night and MoTD from last night.. There are 19 'presenters' in those 5 programmes, every single one of them has a poppy on. I don't know about the others, but every poppy I have bought tends to curl up and look a bit bashed about 5 minutes after putting it on. All 19 poppies mentioned above have that new, uncreased look, that suggests that each individual has been handed that poppy just as they were about to go on screen. Now, all 19 may have worn a poppy anyway, but it does suggest that they are given the poppy to wear, rather than each individual making the pro-active decision to wear a poppy of their own.

My shirt also looks creased after a short time but presumably they all had nice ironed shirt so are there shirt fascists insisting on them wearing a new shirt?

Poppies do tend to get creased, fall off etc which is probably why many people don't wear one too early. It's a difficult compromise, they want to keep the production costs as low as possible to maximise income. Perhaps also why more are buying the longer lasting jewellery style ones.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    Presenters can indeed be given a (new) poppy to wear (i don't think anyone would want to see a curled-up, tatty-looking and threadbare poppy being paraded to the nation on live TV), it does not mean that they have to accept or or wear it though.

That's true and I have not suggested otherwise.
  • Options
    hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't like that they are forced to wear it, It should be a choice.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just seen a live interview with Andrew Neil and a Welsh politician, Mark Drakeford, from the BBC Cardiff studio. Both Neil and the Drakeford wore a poppy. However none of the BBC employees, who you could see behind Drakeford, wore a poppy.

Take form that what you wish
  • Options
    blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surely this is all about convenience.

If every time I went into work someone offered to pin a brand new poppy to my shirt I would be happy to let them - and I imagine the vast, vast majority of people would as well. However we all know how much of a pain it is to maintain a wearable poppy throughout the period and transfer it to every viewable layer of clothing each time you change.

I pay my donation and I support the cause but I don't see the need to wear a poppy 100% of the time i'm in public. However if I knew I was appearing on national tv, or any other public display i'd make sure I had one.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't like that they are forced to wear it, It should be a choice.

Reading this thread again I can see no evidence whatsoever that BBC employees (or anyone else for that matter) are forced to wear poppies.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    Reading this thread again I can see no evidence whatsoever that BBC employees (or anyone else for that matter) are forced to wear poppies.

How do you think certain areas of the media would react if someone had to appear on tv, in the lead up to Remembrance Day, without wearing a poppy?

If Ed Milliband/Alex Salmond/ David Cameron/Nick Clegg decided to appear on tv without a poppy, what would the reaction be do you think?