Options

Yet another disgusting TESCO incident

Comments

• Options
    franciefrancie Posts: 31,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it`s hand to mouth for many people, and they aren`t all on the dole either, i find the lack of comprehension about the reality that quite disheartening.

Totally agree annette, been in that position myself. :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »
    The thing here is that this person did it himself, as people often do when they leave no lee-way for error. It's like going for a car journey and not allowing for things to occur such that you would need money/phone/whatever.

The gentleman is obviously not a young man nor lacking in mental capacity. He should have known better, that's why the lack of "compassion".

To put your faith in Tesco is not rational.

if you pay for a service then surely it's not too much to ask that you get that service. Perhaps if more people complained (and I'm not talking necessarily about going to the papers) then perhaps services might just improve?
  • Options
    jacquelineannejacquelineanne Posts: 1,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it`s the sneering by the clueless that gets my back up, not getting a hundred pounds worth of shopping and no refund for three days is a pretty big deal if you`re on the rock.

re the delivery slot he probably chose a late delivery slot because it`s a quid instead of six for delivery.

On the rock but can afford to run a computer and have internet.

I bet there was a lot of luxury items in that shopping too.
  • Options
    AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    francie wrote: »
    if you pay for a service then surely it's not too much to ask that you get that service. Perhaps if more people complained (and I'm not talking necessarily about going to the papers) then perhaps services might just improve?

But, people only complain if the service is generally poor. Tesco Home Delivery is actually a very good service - on the whole. Sure, there will be isolated mistakes, but the British DO complain, I should know I work in retail!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,692
    Forum Member

Not this chestnut. I imagine the computer was bought before he became unemployed. In spite of the inevitable 'scoff... Well back in my day...' comments, the internet is a necessity and, depending on contracts, relatively cheap.

What sort of luxury items do you bet he had purchased then?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wizzywick wrote: »
    But, people only complain if the service is generally poor. Tesco Home Delivery is actually a very good service - on the whole. Sure, there will be isolated mistakes, but the British DO complain, I should know I work in retail!

I use Tesco and find it generally good. I have only had one problem re grocery delivery and that was sorted out pretty sharpish and was pleasantly compensated (which was totally unexpected!)

The point I was making is that the bloke paid for a service, it wasn't met so he's complaining - fair enough in my book.
  • Options
    jacquelineannejacquelineanne Posts: 1,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GeoBa92 wrote: »
    Not this chestnut. I imagine the computer was bought before he became unemployed. In spite of the inevitable 'scoff... Well back in my day...' comments, the internet is a necessity and, depending on contracts, relatively cheap.

What sort of luxury items do you bet he had purchased then?

I was actually replying to another poster who stated he might be living hand to mouth. I was informing her if he was then he would cancel his internet to save money.

£86.00 is a lot to fork out on shopping.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I bet there's many people "on the rock" who have a pc/internet access, have a roof over their heads who also may pay all their bills on time and are left with very little ready cash.
  • Options
    AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The point I was making is that the bloke paid for a service, it wasn't met so he's complaining - fair enough in my book.

I agree. But people shouldn't complain about things for the sake of it. This man had reason to complain, but there are lots of people who just complain for freebies!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was actually replying to another poster who stated he might be living hand to mouth. I was informing her if he was then he would cancel his internet to save money.

depends how long that food has to last and how many it's actually feeding?
  • Options
    Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Couldn't he have nipped down the chip shop or something. In the worst case waited till morning, what a silly man leaving the cupboards bare to the point where he's not got a single thing and then relying on the supermarket. I think relying so much on a single delivery is such a silly thing to do.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,692
    Forum Member

Why should he? He's unemployed and a lot of places require online job applications for one. How much do you think an internet connection costs?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wizzywick wrote: »
    I agree. But people shouldn't complain about things for the sake of it. This man had reason to complain, but there are lots of people who just complain for freebies!

Of course there is, full time job for some :)
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with those who say you should always have some basics in. If you've got some eggs you can always make a meal.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thine Wonk wrote: »
    Couldn't he have nipped down the chip shop or something. In the worst case waited till morning, what a silly man leaving the cupboards bare to the point where he's not got a single thing and then relying on the supermarket. I think relying so much on a single delivery is such a silly thing to do.

Why is it silly? Tesco promise to deliver at a certain time when they take your money.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GeoBa92 wrote: »
    Why should he? He's unemployed and a lot of places require online job applications for one. How much do you think an internet connection costs?

if he wasn't unemployed but still in the same financial difficulties would people still be wondering why he doesn't cancel his internet service?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why is it silly? Tesco promise to deliver at a certain time when they take your money.

Actually, they say this...
    Whilst we make every effort to deliver all your goods in the agreed time, we will not be liable if we fail to do so in part or in full due to circumstances beyond our control.

http://www.tesco.com/termsandconditions/termsconditionsgroc.htm
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thine Wonk wrote: »
    Actually, they say this...

Fair enough if a van broke down etc but that didn't happen on this occasion - the driver simply went home (according to the article).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    el_bardos wrote: »
    Anyone with the remotest bit of common sense realises that sometimes things go wrong with deliveries, that's life. Vehicles break down, vehicles crash, people call in sick, computers mess up.... the list is endless. If you're short of cash, paying up front when you don't have to is asking for trouble I'm afraid.

So you think anyone ordering their groceries online is asking for trouble, if they are short of cash? :confused:
  • Options
    bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,438
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DianaFire wrote: »
    Missing grocery deliveries are news now?

I think it's because it's Tesco. They're in the news at the moment and journalists like the idea of another angle to show just how mean and uncaring they are. If it was Waitrose then it wouldn't have been as good a story.

Probably, there innumerable cases each day of on-line grocery deliveries being late or getting lost, and not just with Tesco. (Tesco might well figure heavily simply by being one of the biggest companies.)
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it doesn`t matter what it costs if you`re on a very limited budget you can only get what you have the money for, that`s why many people are having to turn to food banks.

I wouldn't say an £86 shop was a very limited budget.
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,644
    Forum Member
    Fair enough if a van broke down etc but that didn't happen on this occasion - the driver simply went home (according to the article).
    Curiously, no mention of the driver or someone else at Tesco trying to call them to say they could not deliver. Makes you wonder if the same mentality that gives you Hubbard's cupboards also makes you forget to top up your phone?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't say an £86 shop was a very limited budget.

It could have to last for a month for all we know that being their total budget for food?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    Curiously, no mention of the driver or someone else at Tesco trying to call them to say they could not deliver. Makes you wonder if the same mentality that gives you Hubbard's cupboards also makes you forget to top up your phone?

I had occasion to phone Tesco when my reserved time slot went over...they hadn't a clue what the driver was up to. A couple of phone calls followed, customer services saying one thing the driver saying another.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had occasion to phone Tesco when my reserved time slot went over...they hadn't a clue what the driver was up to. A couple of phone calls followed, customer services saying one thing the driver saying another.

Cool story