Options

Any vote on Europe must include all areas of the UK

Comments

• Options
    jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 64,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Spot on... This is a reserved area, so it's decided by the UK as a whole - she seems to have forgotten that we voted NO.

I personally like this quote from her speech -

"But I do believe - strongly - that our interests are best served by being in, not out, of the EU.

"The impact of an exit on jobs and on the economy would be disastrous."

:D:D:D:D:D

Yes most amusing considering if Scotland had voted to leave the UK she had no idea if an independent Scotland would be in or out of the EU.
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    PompeyBill wrote: »
    Yep, being pushed that a vote on leaving the EU should be subject to a majority vote on all four separate countries of the UK.

Seems fair enough to me :)

:cool:

Why? It should be a majority vote in the UK - as it is for any other national referendum and was in 1975.

London has more people than Scotland and Wales combined - should it have a veto too. Where does it end?
  • Options
    Jellied EelJellied Eel Posts: 33,091
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    England telling Scotland what to do again. The old familiar story.

Err..

A referendum in favour of leaving the European Union would need to have the clear support of the UK nations, the SNP's Nicola Sturgeon has insisted.

So SNP trying to dictate to the UK. Again. Not long after Scotland demonstrated it'd prefer the UK to stick and vote together.
  • Options
    KIIS102KIIS102 Posts: 8,539
    Forum Member
    I wonder what her reaction would be if someone said "if all 4 nations vote to stay then we'll stay, if 1 votes to leave then everyone has to leave"
  • Options
    Binger53Binger53 Posts: 62
    Forum Member
    LOL - another SNP tin foil lost causer :D

According to the soon to be "Not-Quite-So Dear Leader as the One Before"

The UK is a unitary state. It is the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. Wales was conquered and annexed. Scotland and Ireland joined in an Act of Union (the clue is in the words - Union, Unitary:D).

Eh? I'm Welsh! I see you're one of those individuals who has no interest in trying to win hearts and minds.

Allow me, if you will, to feel a sense of outrage when a blatant fraud has been committed during a Referendum. Do you really want to win under those circumstances? Where's your sense of fair play?

Incidentally, I believe it's only a matter of time that Scotland wins its Independence and without Scotland, the Union will fold. It's a natural progression.

To quote Mr Salmond, "In the event of independence England stands to lose a surly lodger and gain a good neighbour”.
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    KIIS102 wrote: »
    I wonder what her reaction would be if someone said "if all 4 nations vote to stay then we'll stay, if 1 votes to leave then everyone has to leave"

Exactly.

The Scots voted to stay in the UK - and they should not be able to dictate the terms or block something which is a UK wide matter if the majority of the rest of the UK votes for something else. They had their choice - and now they deal with the consequences of that.
  • Options
    KIIS102KIIS102 Posts: 8,539
    Forum Member
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    Exactly.

The Scots voted to stay in the UK - and they should not be able to dictate the terms or block something which is a UK wide matter if the majority of the rest of the UK votes for something else. They had their choice - and now they deal with the consequences of that.

Indeed. It's not a shock that the UK is likely to leave the EU, it was mentioned numerous times during the Independence Referendum campaign so no one should be trying to fix the result or fiddling about with the process. People of Scotland knew the feeling of rest of the UK towards the EU and still decided to stay in, effectively they chose the UK over the EU.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well, no, its perfectly consistent. Both scenarios are treating the components of the UK as separate countries.

Well it's wrong. They are not separate countries. This is not a Football tournament or the Commonwealth games.
  • Options
    DerekPAgainDerekPAgain Posts: 2,708
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Binger53 wrote: »
    Eh? I'm Welsh! I see you're one of those individuals who has no interest in trying to win hearts and minds.

Allow me, if you will, to feel a sense of outrage when a blatant fraud has been committed during a Referendum. Do you really want to win under those circumstances? Where's your sense of fair play?

Incidentally, I believe it's only a matter of time that Scotland wins its Independence and without Scotland, the Union will fold. It's a natural progression.

To quote Mr Salmond, "In the event of independence England stands to lose a surly lodger and gain a good neighbour”.

Blatant fraud? Get a grip.

Many of us who voted had already posted our votes before the nonsense about the "vow" came out. And no-one was told that they would get Devo-max or anything like it.

By the way - if a newspaper headline is now "blatant fraud" we'd better have a lockdown of the media during elections. But of course that isn't a very democratic thing to do either is it?

As for the surly lodger - that might apply to the SNP heirarchy but not to most Scots I know.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, no, its perfectly consistent. Both scenarios are treating the components of the UK as separate countries.

Which, however much Sturgeon would like it to be, is not the case in law.
  • Options
    MajlisMajlis Posts: 31,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see that the SNP leadership has not improved any since their rejection at the referendum - did they not learn anything?

There is only one member of the EU and that is the UK, with regards to the EU Scotland doesnt exist. Therefore any vote on continued UK membership of the EU is down to the citizens of the UK, and them alone.
  • Options
    BanglaRoadBanglaRoad Posts: 57,606
    Forum Member
    Good bit of politics??:confused:

It's the most cock-eyed piece of policy on the hoof I've seen for a long time.

This is not policy This is trying to appeal to pro EU voters who are not SNP voters
  • Options
    JT2060JT2060 Posts: 5,370
    Forum Member
    BanglaRoad wrote: »
    This is not policy This is trying to appeal to pro EU voters who are not SNP voters

You are not going to answer my question are you?
  • Options
    culturemancultureman Posts: 11,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Scotland etc are to the UK, as the UK is to the EU.

Thus if the UK is a country within the greater EU, rather than simply a region or province; then Scotland,Wales etc are similarly countries rather than regions or provinces within the greater UK.

Sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

And what about SNP voters who are anti-EU? Or do they not exist?
  • Options
    MattNMattN Posts: 2,536
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    MajlisMajlis Posts: 31,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cultureman wrote: »

Thus if the UK is a country within the greater EU, rather than simply a region or province; then Scotland,Wales etc are similarly countries rather than regions or provinces within the greater UK.

Not legally they're not - there is only one member of the EU and that is the UK ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    JT2060 wrote: »
    Do you agree the idea should be extended to any future Scottish referendum on UK membership?

No I don't but as I said in an earlier post this is a ploy to remind pro EU voters in Scotland that the SNP is pro EU
    Again this is NOT policy, just NS doing some politicicking No new thing for a politician
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No I don't but as I said in an earlier post this is a ploy to remind pro EU voters in Scotland that the SNP is pro EU
    Again this is NOT policy, just NS doing some politicicking No new thing for a politician

So she is talking bollocks then?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Can't fault the SNP for consistency then!
  • Options
    Forum Member

Do I have to write again the reason I believe she is doing this? In fact I won't as I have given my opinion and repeating it for the third time will not make it any more valid
    If you think that is bollocks that is fine cos it is your view Not mine
  • Options
    geemonkeegeemonkee Posts: 2,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Exactly, SNP supporters never expect the SNP to do anything to make Scotland better, because they already blame all of Scotland's problems on the b@st@rd English. All the SNP have to do is to appeal to their core constituency of semi-literate scroungers and ranting obsessives by finding new ever-more grievances they can blame on the English for.

You're not really based in Edinburgh are you? If you were you wouldn't be posting utter pants like that, because you'd know better.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think what she has said is going to come back later and bite her in the bum big time.

Bangla. Your new leader has made a total prat of herself within days of taking charge - she is part of the establishment after all. Salmond has taught her well.
  • Options
    AxtolAxtol Posts: 8,480
    Forum Member
    So a vote to find out what the UK wants will have to allow the UK electorate to vote? Shocker. Barroso won't be happy with this.
  • Options
    blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,128
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why do so many posters immediate move into hysterical attack mode when something like this is raised?

The idea that individual regions are allowed to veto significant political changes in a country is hardly new or radical: it's built into the US constitution and many others. Given that EU membership is the status quo you could argue that any attempt to leave would be a significant change that all 4 nations should have a say over.

But that's just an argument; not one I personally agree with given that we've never used the system in the past and that England is so vastly bigger than the other 3.

Why can't we just debate these things using sensible words? Why the need to use insulting terms and instantly dismissing anyone that brings up the issue?