Options

LBC General Chit-Chat (Part 29)

Comments

• Options
    makeba72makeba72 Posts: 5,723
    Forum Member
    FrankBT wrote: »
    It would be so much better if 'Hattie' (Harriet) was on NF's show where at least she'd have a tougher time of it deflecting NF's more abrasive approach as opposed to the predictable, milder questioning of ID which she can easily cope with. Swap her over with Clegg.

I disagree. I'd much rather hear what the person is trying to say than hear that awful self-promoter Ferrari interrupting every 2 seconds just for the sake of it. I loathe the day that the soundbite became king. Things take time to explain.
  • Options
    breakbeatbreakbeat Posts: 296
    Forum Member
    Strewth! That technology expert on Beverley's show earlier wasn't half loud and shouty!
    Lucky thing he isn't a regular on the morning news show with Lisa :o
  • Options
    thewilsonthewilson Posts: 1,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi all you vaping news fans. I'm not normally a JHB listener, but I did catch the first half hour or so of her show today. Apart from the usual LBC disclaimer of "I know absolutely nothing about the subject but am going to give my opinion anyway", I was pleased to hear an expert opinion from Martin Dockrell (Head of Tobacco Control Public Health England), and a couple of calls from others who knew what they were talking about. Moreover, I did not hear any childish insults about vapers as employed by St. Iain and Lord Barksalot. From the clips I've seen, I am in two minds about the commercial in question. Personally, I find it cringeworthy. Would it encourage any non-smoking youngsters to take up vaping, or conversely get others to switch from smoking to vaping, or to start vaping instead of starting smoking? To raise the vaping profile amongst adult smokers would be a big plus. The main point is surely that the unattainable pursuit of perfection as espoused by prohibitionists should not outweigh the good (and improving) benefits that ecigarettes have brought to so many smokers. Vapers do not need nannying by the UK government or the EU, just sensible consumer product regulation. We are over 2 million strong and growing in the UK through individuals' own efforts. That may be a shock to them, but our leaders would do well to bear that in mind.
  • Options
    FrankBTFrankBT Posts: 4,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    makeba72 wrote: »
    I disagree. I'd much rather hear what the person is trying to say than hear that awful self-promoter Ferrari interrupting every 2 seconds just for the sake of it. I loathe the day that the soundbite became king. Things take time to explain.
    I agree with you about NF whom I gave up on some time ago. But H. Harman isn't the sort of person to laugh off awkward questioning or likes being interrupted. She's far more assertive and capable of turning the tables on NF than say Mr 'nice guy' Clegg.

Beverley Turner doing a great job standing in for Clive Bull with her unashamedly anti-technology stance. Good hour on LBC for a change.
  • Options
    TalmaTalma Posts: 10,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree with you about NF whom I gave up on some time ago. But H. Harman isn't the sort of person to laugh off awkward questioning or likes being interrupted. She's far more assertive and capable of turning the tables on NF than say Mr 'nice guy' Clegg.

She's not that good at straight answers though, typical evasive politician same as Clegg and most others.
  • Options
    BurlyBeaRBurlyBeaR Posts: 5,696
    Forum Member

He is without question the best on the station. Sometimes annoying but always erudite and very very funny. He makes me lol in fact I was chuckling into my Nespresso and top of the range Waitrose granola (generously scattered with fresh blueberries) this very morn over something he said to a common sounding woman from Leeds about lazy, dole scrounging kids.

People without a sense of humour, or those who won't admit that anyone who isn't a loony lefty can ever be any good will never 'get' Nick.
  • Options
    Charlie DrakeCharlie Drake Posts: 3,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BurlyBeaR wrote: »
    He is without question the best on the station. Sometimes annoying but always erudite and very very funny. He makes me lol in fact I was chuckling into my Nespresso and top of the range Waitrose granola (generously scattered with fresh blueberries) this very morn over something he said to a common sounding woman from Leeds about lazy, dole scrounging kids.

People without a sense of humour, or those who won't admit that anyone who isn't a loony lefty can ever be any good will never 'get' Nick.

I'm assuming (for the sake of sanity and all that's holy) that you're referring to Nick Clegg. :p
    Ferrari is an out-and-out pillock.
    'Mare with the Mayor'? Give me a break. Juvenile playground mentality.
  • Options
    Lone DrinkerLone Drinker Posts: 1,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BurlyBeaR wrote: »

Ain't that just the truth.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ain't that just the truth.
    Only for those who want it to be.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm assuming (for the sake of sanity and all that's holy) that you're referring to Nick Clegg. :p
    Ferrari is an out-and-out pillock.
    'Mare with the Mayor'? Give me a break. Juvenile playground mentality.

You think Nick Clegg is erudite and very funny?

If the NHS wasn't on its knees I would suggest you see a doctor! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member

Fair point, but nevertheless, I'd rather hear what a politician has to say than hear an unnecessary argument with a presenter who's going to interrupt and be confrontational come what may, regardless of whether it's necessary.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Only for those who want it to be.

Absolutely. It's a strange and vaguely infantile kind of argument to try to shut down people who hold a different opinion, by claiming they "just don't get it" or don't have a sense of humour or whatever. Rather like the tactics of Ferrari himself, IMO.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Absolutely. It's a strange and vaguely infantile kind of argument to try to shut down people who hold a different opinion, by claiming they "just don't get it" or don't have a sense of humour or whatever. Rather like the tactics of Ferrari himself, IMO.

Oh makeba. You prove my very point in that single post. I haven't shut anyone down, I responded to your post in a way that only the most resoundingly dim could take seriously. Calm down and lighten up please.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ...and the last time we exchanged you called me names and blocked me. Do I take it we are friends again?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In my opinion, Ferrari is a dinosaur clutching at the last straws and worst aspects of 1970's (and, to be charitable, 1980's) tabloid 'journalism'. My fervent wish, with the advent of increased electronic communications, is that these poisonous, self-important, trumped-up dwarfs will eventually disappear.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    In my opinion, Ferrari is a dinosaur clutching at the last straws and worst aspects of 1970's (and, to be charitable, 1980's) tabloid 'journalism'. My fervent wish, with the advent of increased electronic communications, is that these poisonous, self-important, trumped-up dwarfs will eventually disappear.

He doesn't say "fax" anymore.... Whaddya want???
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 38
    Forum Member
    ...steve then waffled into a mess and had to admit he couldnt remember what it was marie curie had done as he dead-ended his train of thought into a cul-de-sac of faulty memory... yes, mr allen YOU are the example of stupid you seemed to be looking for.

Later he pronounced "Belvoir" (as in the hunt) as bell voir, not the correct pronunciation of "beaver".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    christgill wrote: »
    Later he pronounced "Belvoir" (as in the hunt) as bell voir, not the correct pronunciation of "beaver".

And of course we ALL know how wrong that is...:confused:
  • Options
    thewilsonthewilson Posts: 1,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Having seen the actual ecig advert, I think that the media have been well and truly mugged by a smart bit of promotion. A product being advertised by an attractive person is hardly sensational. Mind you, she could help me with my (vaping) equipment anytime. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    thewilson wrote: »
    Having seen the actual ecig advert, I think that the media have been well and truly mugged by a smart bit of promotion. A product being advertised by an attractive person is hardly sensational. Mind you, she could help me with my (vaping) equipment anytime. :)

She is certainly a very alluring bird. That little wink at the end did it for me and I'm batting for the other side! Gorgeous. I gave up the snouts 10 years ago but I might segue back onto vamping. Sorry, vaping (Freudian typo!) Maybe it will keep me off the crystal meth which is a bit pricey!
  • Options
    Anna MadrigalAnna Madrigal Posts: 53
    Forum Member
    Hi all you vaping news fans. I'm not normally a JHB listener, but I did catch the first half hour or so of her show today....We are over 2 million strong and growing in the UK through individuals' own efforts. That may be a shock to them, but our leaders would do well to bear that in mind.

I didn't hear JHB or see the ad, but wanted to chip in here because I'm absolutely peed off with restrictions being placed on where I can vape and the ridiculous reasons why I can't.

NO, vaping won't lead to people starting smoking because after to switching to e-"cigs" I can't stand the taste of cigs any more and haven't bought a packet of cigs or tobacco for months. I bought my first kit three and a half years ago and since then I've saved stacks of cash and I don't cough.

I make sure I buy good quality liquids and I'm very careful not to overload the socket when I'm charging the battery.

IT'S NOT SMOKING.

Edit: even if it was, people HAVE A CHOICE.
  • Options
    MagicCoppeliaMagicCoppelia Posts: 21,274
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    First time I have ever listened to Duncan Barkes on LBC. Is he incapable of allowing the caller to speak without him butting in if he doesn't agree?:o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    . Is he incapable of allowing the caller to speak without him butting in if he doesn't agree?:o

He is totally incapable of that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I agree with him on this topic, though. I will let his grouchiness slide this hour.
  • Options
    balthasarbalthasar Posts: 2,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi all you vaping news fans. I'm not normally a JHB listener, but I did catch the first half hour or so of her show today. Apart from the usual LBC disclaimer of "I know absolutely nothing about the subject but am going to give my opinion anyway", I was pleased to hear an expert opinion from Martin Dockrell (Head of Tobacco Control Public Health England), and a couple of calls from others who knew what they were talking about.

What was JHB's opinion on the subject, and I would not trust "Public Health England" as they seemed to go very quiet during the EU TPD discussion.
    Hopefully people will become more aware of vaping as a result of the adverts.
This discussion has been closed.