Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 62)

Comments

• Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,697
    Forum Member
    Does anyone else share my view that the decline we've seen with the soaps is probably not reversible?

The majority seem to think otherwise. But in this era of countless alternative channels and new content platforms, very difficult to win back lost viewers I think when you are a on 4 or 5 nights a week and innovating as little as our soaps do, revisiting the same tired old storylines over and over again.

Of course, that doesn't mean you shouldn't try to stop the rot. But just an observation.
  • Options
    Aurora13Aurora13 Posts: 30,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fudd wrote: »
    I guess the important thing was to stabilise it before Christmas but it's at a low level - lower than the Kirkwood and Newman reigns during this period despite the relative lack of criticism.

That's why I agree with those who say Stuart Blackburn needs to leave Coronation Street now - the rot is starting to set it but if it's allowed to fester then it's going to be very hard to turn the ship fully around.

The problem EE has is that its audience was younger. This audience is the first to move away from regular live tv viewing in significant numbers. They come back for events but not day after day. CS and even more so EM have the older audience who turn up night after night come what may. Shows that depend on younger audience are going to suffer. There are alternatives.
  • Options
    FuddFudd Posts: 167,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    Does anyone else share my view that the decline we've seen with the soaps is probably not reversible?

The majority seem to think otherwise. But in this era of countless alternative channels and new content platforms, very difficult to win back lost viewers I think when you are a on 4 or 5 nights a week and innovating as little as our soaps do, revisiting the same tired old storylines over and over again.

Of course, that doesn't mean you shouldn't try to stop the rot. But just an observation.

Possibly but chunks are being ripped away from the soaps instead of nibbles. The declines should be manageable. Strictly, for example, is managing to keep any drops to around 200k at the most and I see no reason why the soaps can't manage that level of decline - especially as the other channels don't really try during that time slot. Maybe it's time they did.
  • Options
    yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member

I totally agree and have said so before - doesnt mean were right of course. :D
  • Options
    derek500derek500 Posts: 24,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Agree. We haven't watched any soaps since our daughter left for uni in 2007. She doesn't now either.

With superior content available at the touch of a button, 24/7, soaps are a waste of time.
  • Options
    david_leewarddavid_leeward Posts: 2,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Corri- 7.31mil & 7.07mil
    ED- 5.79mil

Not great for those two soaps neither. ED epically looks low.

Why do you always come out and say "not great" all of the time? What did eastenders get? :)
  • Options
    northladnorthlad Posts: 1,823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why do you always come out and say "not great" all of the time? What did eastenders get? :)

For him this is in depth analysis.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Are they excluding or including +1 and do you have the shares please? :)

EDIT: Sorry, didn't realise DS report was up. No +1 figures reported for Coronation Street which suggests they were under 100k. Emmerdale got 178k on +1. Share wise think I read 35.6% for first Coronation Street and just 32% for the second. Emmerdale pulled in 30%. The +1 share was 0.8%.

That's awful for Coronation Street and, frankly, not that much better for Emmerdale.

Given the stick EE gets on here that ED figure is appalling.
  • Options
    Forum Member

It got 0.5m more than ED for a start. ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    northlad wrote: »

Lol :D
  • Options
    rr22rr22 Posts: 7,649
    Forum Member
    None of the soaps ratings are particularly impressive from the Digital Spy Soap Ratings report. And perhaps one soap performance affects another. It just seems like they could do so much more with "EastEnders" than they have already tried, the first decision being taking away an episode.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yorkie100 wrote: »
    It got 0.5m more than ED for a start. ;-)

Thats fantastic! A whole 0.5 more!
  • Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    johnnymc wrote: »
    None of the soaps ratings are particularly impressive from the Digital Spy Soap Ratings report. And perhaps one soap performance affects another. It just seems like they could do so much more with "EastEnders" than they have already tried, the first decision being taking away an episode.

Take EastEnders off Friday and look how low BBC1 is for the night. Not going to happen.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It is low but Emmerdale seems far more volatile than EastEnders. Saying that, I don't think the Thursday figures were that brilliant either. Quality wise it's not being criticised to the same level as Coronation Street but maybe it needs to be looked at.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    cylon6 wrote: »
    Take EastEnders off Friday and look how low BBC1 is for the night.

I'd switch the Wednesday and Friday schedules around to be honest - between 7pm and 9pm anyway. EastEnders airing on a Friday when it skews young has never made sense to me.
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They didn't want to travel up there and preferred working in London. Waterloo Road was a BBC Scotland production but filmed in Rochdale.

Sounds like the BBC didn't order a Christmas special. Whoops!

Actually the later Waterloo Roads were filmed in Greenock. I thought the whole point of the BBC spending billions on moving people to Salford was to increase production outside the M25 ! I believe there are 6x30 minutes. Sad to bid farewell to Teddington though, even less studio space in London now.
  • Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is low but Emmerdale seems far more volatile than EastEnders. Saying that, I don't think the Thursday figures were that brilliant either. Quality wise it's not being criticised to the same level as Coronation Street but maybe it needs to be looked at.

Emmerdale is always going to be lower with a 7pm start. EastEnders should be closer to 7m on a Friday. It managed that during Lucy Beale murder week and a few weeks back. It can't do that in November.

Coronation Street is low for a Friday. They have no excuse for that weak 8.30pm rating.
  • Options
    rr22rr22 Posts: 7,649
    Forum Member
    I'd switch the Wednesday and Friday schedules around to be honest - between 7pm and 9pm anyway. EastEnders airing on a Friday when it skews young has never made sense to me.

Well if they don't want to drop half an hour then yeah move it as it doesnt work on Friday evenings as effectively as during the earlier weekdays.
  • Options
    Ice dragon1Ice dragon1 Posts: 19,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Um because there not. Plus I thought EE rating had already been posted.
  • Options
    ScoreScore Posts: 17,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I agree. I think we're past the point of the soaps posting some kind of miraculous recovery. The battle for them is to keep hold of the audience they've got. I think they're in a similar position to The X Factor where viewers have been lost and aren't going to come back whatever they do, so they've just got to try and keep hold of the audience the best they can.
  • Options
    jake lylejake lyle Posts: 6,146
    Forum Member
    northlad wrote: »

Pot and kettle spring to mind.

Every second post from you is "well done itv" :p
  • Options
    Zac QuinnZac Quinn Posts: 5,172
    Forum Member
    Broadchurch is a programme that makes rival broadcasters jealous.
    After one series ? :p
    johnnymc wrote: »
    IPerhaps a police search for a Baked Alaska could work better for the audience figures.
    I like it, might send that to BBC Writers Room ;-)
    Although not setting the world alight, that rating for not going out looks quite good. Perhaps not the share, but the raw numbers ( considering the stronger opposition on ITV) seems decent.
    If it consolidates by around about 1m, is it gonna rank as 'the best of the rest' outside MBB, Miranda and BOAF* for comedies this year?
    Could do a decent job on Christmas Eve IMO.
    Does anyone else share my view that the decline we've seen with the soaps is probably not reversible?.
    Absolutely. People have just moved on. The fact Barbara Windsor (yet again) announced her intentions to return to work this week but it didn't even cause a ripple sums it up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thats fantastic! A whole 0.5 more!

And CS only 0.5m more than EE - so whats your point?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    basdfg wrote: »
    How did Corrie do last night.
    Eastenders figure is not that good but the fact it didn't fall to 6.1-62 which is what feared after Thursday's is a positive sign. It also only fell 0.3 the whole week while corrie will probably fall close to or even over a million across the week.
    Hopefully Eastenders will be above 7 million again on Monday. Do sadly think it may fall again in Christmas Day and may even be beaten by corrie again.

it will be all to do with the scheduling and promotion. the beeb as a rule are better at scheduling that itv. i think ctmw will be opposite cs and da against ee. 'i think ee will surprise you. it won't top the night but should beat cs. the top shows of the night will be miranda and mrs brown?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And CS only 0.5m more than EE - so whats your point?

i think david was taking the p**s. its all fun. ;-)
This discussion has been closed.