Options

Next Christmas jobs offered to Polish workers before being advertised in UK

Comments

• Options
    Steve_CardanasSteve_Cardanas Posts: 4,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Exactly and why officially the jobless totals keep falling because people like your boyfriend are not registered as unemployed when he is working for his JSA.

It's all very jolly for the retired on here or those with comfortable jobs to pontificate about other people being happy with their min wage seasonal zero hours contract jobs.

Some people on these boards seem happy with the concept and use of slave labour in this country.....

and i bet it upset when it goes on in india and places like that.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    that is like slave labour and should be outlawed.

Yep and loads of factories, warehouses and supermarkets do this, some never have permanent staff or advertise for staff because they get all their staff on trials through a4e and other such things. All because the government has allowed it.

I live in Wales so this problem is quite big here, you can't find factory work even in areas where we have loads of factories bc a lot of them do this.

I don't believe the 'jobless in britain are lazy' thing, no they are not. The jobless are blamed for a lot of the ills of employers, it's the employers that are lazy they just don't want to pay the minimum wage, they want to make excuses why they never have permanent staff it's because a lot of the time they are put on temp contracts so they don't have workers rights (I think you only get them after 6 months to a year right? that's when they can't just let you go).

TBQH the media doesn't help a few months ago it was all on that mantra for making the unemployed work for their JSA, it should not be full time work, and you'd be surprised the amount of big high street names (Savers for example) who hire bulk of their staff through the job centre but never pay them and they only get JSA which you can't live on JSA. It's demoralising and this kind of system is meant to keep people in their place. It is not to help them find work or get out of their station in life they are currently in.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep and loads of factories, warehouses and supermarkets do this, some never have permanent staff or advertise for staff because they get all their staff on trials through a4e and other such things. All because the government has allowed it.

I live in Wales so this problem is quite big here, you can't find factory work even in areas where we have loads of factories bc a lot of them do this.

I don't believe the 'jobless in britain are lazy' thing, no they are not. The jobless are blamed for a lot of the ills of employers, it's the employers that are lazy they just don't want to pay the minimum wage, they want to make excuses why they never have permanent staff it's because a lot of the time they are put on temp contracts so they don't have workers rights (I think you ony get them after 6 months to a year right? that's when they can't just let you go).

no wonder unemployment is so high.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    no wonder unemployment is so high.

Is it high? We have one of the lowest unemployment rates in Europe and it is falling. So many people are attracted to the UK as the job prospects are so good. Get a cheap Ryanair flight from Poland or Hungary and the chances are you will find a job by the end of your first day.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    Is it high? We have one of the lowest unemployment rates in Europe and it is falling. So many people are attracted to the UK as the job prospects are so good. Get a cheap Ryanair flight from Poland or Hungary and the chances are you will find a job by the end of your first day.

Then why can't British born people get a job.I applied for loads of jobs this year only had 5 interviews and got none of the jobs.>:(
  • Options
    tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member

Depends how you define job prospects, more low paid jobs have been created, more people in work than ever before, and a very big increase of self employed jobs, But the biggest increase seen in any time of working people needing to claim means tested in work benefits, normally high employment would mean the benefit bill going down, but this is not the case, the benefit bill is on the increase and the biggest increase is from working people.
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can we put a negative review on trip advisor about next.
  • Options
    Will_BennettsWill_Bennetts Posts: 3,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There was NO NHS during WW2, and its a stereotype to say they are better educated and work harder when in reality most poles are lazy irritating racists, and if you say otherwise then you are deluded.

As for Next it's cheap tat made in a foreign sweatshop under conditions that were outlawed here in the UK in the 19th century, as for Boycotting Next that I cannot do as I have never stepped foot in their manky tatty overpriced shitty stores and don't ever intend to.
    Just like calling them "lazy irritating racists " is a stereotype too right ?? :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just like calling them "lazy irritating racists " is a stereotype too right ?? :confused:

don't they have a problem with racism in poland .
  • Options
    Will_BennettsWill_Bennetts Posts: 3,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    don't they have a problem with racism in poland .
    There's a problem with racism in most places tbh
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I believe fairies live at the bottom of my garden too.

Unemployment is falling because around a million are on Workfare and excluded from the unemployment figures.
    Add other little fiddles like not counting the four week period after people stop working because they can still claim tax credits for example drops the figure down further.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Then why can't British born people get a job.I applied for loads of jobs this year only had 5 interviews and got none of the jobs.>:(

Probably because you are too long in the tooth for most employers.

Warehousing and factory employers tend not to like British born workers because they can access things like Unions to help them if they have an injury or grievance.
    Whereas East Europeans can be more easily manipulated and are less aware of their rights concerning H&S.
  • Options
    Richard1960Richard1960 Posts: 20,356
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Unemployment is falling because around a million are on Workfare and excluded from the unemployment figures.
    Add other little fiddles like not counting the four week period after people stop working because they can still claim tax credits for example drops the figure down further.

Yes i make you right.

Do not forget also the so called "self employed" who may well be on very low money and probably not entitled to Tax Credits though not officially unemployed..

There are so many ways of fiddling the figures you have to ask yourself what the true figure is.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tim59 wrote: »
    Depends how you define job prospects, more low paid jobs have been created, more people in work than ever before, and a very big increase of self employed jobs, But the biggest increase seen in any time of working people needing to claim means tested in work benefits, normally high employment would mean the benefit bill going down, but this is not the case, the benefit bill is on the increase and the biggest increase is from working people.

Any growing economy will always create more low paid jobs as well as high paid ones. If you look at London now then there are new skyscrapers popping up everywhere for a banks, IT companies and law firms - but those good jobs then drive a need for more coffee shops, cleaners, bars, catering, hotels and other service jobs.

There is also nothing wrong with being self employed. We shouldn't look down on people who are willing to take the risk of starting their own business.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Any growing economy will always create more low paid jobs as well as high paid ones. If you look at London now then there are new skyscrapers popping up everywhere for a banks, IT companies and law firms - but those good jobs then drive a need for more coffee shops, cleaners, bars, catering, hotels and other service jobs.

There is also nothing wrong with being self employed. We shouldn't look down on people who are willing to take the risk of starting their own business.

There is your first mistake, thinking that self employed means starting to own buisness, it means nothing of the sort. The UK budgetary watchdog said many new jobs were low paid or created through low-paid self-employment.

OBR chairman Robert Chote told the BBC fewer revenues were coming in for each new pound earned.

The first £10,000 earned a year is free from income tax.

Figures from HM Revenue & Customs show that of the growing number of people who work for themselves, 35% earn less than £10,000 a year.

In 2008, 20% of self-employed earned less than the prevailing tax-free allowance.http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-29587711
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Lord Wolfson needs to come clean about this after all he is running the show.

Did he try to recruit in the UK or not simple question only he can answer.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tim59 wrote: »
    In 2008, 20% of self-employed earned less than the prevailing tax-free allowance.http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-29587711

You have to be careful how you use statistics like that. Most people who start up their own business don't make much (if any) money in their first year or two of trading so there will always be a significant number of self-employed people earning less than the tax allowance. Also wiith a good accountant you can also reduce your earnings for tax purposes. I have a friend whose business turns over more than £500,000 a year but he only pays himself minimum wage.

However, I'm sure you will agree that most high earning people are self employed. It's hard to make a fortune working for someone else.
  • Options
    LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member

I think a lot of the jobs that immigrants do are never advertised.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lyricalis wrote: »

Well the government Should have some way of compelling companies to advertise in the UK first.

As it is we are possibly paying somebodies Tax Credits to somebody who comes from Poland or another Eastern European country .

Whilst at the same time paying Benefits for a UK national who cannot apply for said jobs.

Madness.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lyricalis wrote: »

You will find that many jobs are never advertised anywhere. Advertising is an expensive and slow process so it is much easier to hire people by word of mouth.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You will find that many jobs are never advertised anywhere. Advertising is an expensive and slow process so it is much easier to hire people by word of mouth.

We in the UK do have Job Centres do they charge.?

There is i am afraid no excuse for not advertising in the UK if only in the job centre for free.

Its just that a lot of companies do not,they go straight to Eastern European Countries First, very strange.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You have to be careful how you use statistics like that. Most people who start up their own business don't make much (if any) money in their first year or two of trading so there will always be a significant number of self-employed people earning less than the tax allowance. Also wiith a good accountant you can also reduce your earnings for tax purposes. I have a friend whose business turns over more than £500,000 a year but he only pays himself minimum wage.

However, I'm sure you will agree that most high earning people are self employed. It's hard to make a fortune working for someone else.

Break with the past

Whatever your view there is no doubt that this is a major change in the manner in which our economy operates and in how its recent recovery has come about.

For a start the trend might mark a divergence from how our economy has recovered from recession in the past.

If we look at the recession in the early 1990s, for example, we see that self-employment declined as firms began to hire again.

Although the UK economy is now recovering strongly that doesn't seem to be happening to the same extent.

And this surge in self-employment may be part of the explanation for two of the UK's big problems right now: productivity and low wages.

As several studies have shown, the self-employed have had an even tougher time in recent years with their real wages falling faster than those of employees.

The growth in self-employed workers might feed into our underemployment and productivity problems.

Whereas more than two-thirds of self-employed people work more than 30 hours a week, it's estimated that of those who have become self-employed since the recession, 88.8% work less than 30 hours a week.

Now this may because they're earning enough money to work less or (probably more likely) that many can't secure enough employment to work more.

This feeds into an overall underemployment problem in the British economy where 18% of people who work part time say they would like to work full time.
    Part-time workers who would like to work full time (%)
    Chart 2

Some have also expressed concern that the sort of jobs the new class of self-employed are involved in simply aren't as productive as those which the self-employed have historically done.

For example, although skilled trades-people - typified by so-called "white van man" - have the single largest share of self-employment (almost 30%), their numbers have actually declined since the start of the recession.

Compare this to the big increases in those employed in "personal services" (often low-skilled employment), administration or "elementary occupations" which have all seen increases of 33-37%.

Interestingly, there has also been a 26% increase in the number of "managers and senior officials" becoming self-employed.

Some have speculated that this represents a trend in managers going freelance, typically from the public sector into consultancy.
  • Options
    galenagalena Posts: 7,277
    Forum Member

I've deeply suspicious of our so-called employment figures and supposed prosperity. The falling profits of supermarkets, popularity of food banks/pound shops and the Black Friday scuffles at Tescos tell a very different story. Same goes for fall in crime - I suspect it's all down to the way they are reported. I take everything with a pinch of salt especially with an election next year. Lies, damned lies and statistics!
  • Options
    ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    Well the government Should have some way of compelling companies to advertise in the UK first.

As it is we are possibly paying somebodies Tax Credits to somebody who comes from Poland or another Eastern European country .

Whilst at the same time paying Benefits for a UK national who cannot apply for said jobs.

Madness.

Ed Milliband has stated that he will do that :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Electra wrote: »
    Ed Milliband has stated that he will do that :)

Unlikely to make much of a difference. When jobs are advertised online, as most are now, then they are accessible from anywhere in Europe. I don't think Miliband is proposing that British people get interviewed first.