Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 62)

Comments

• Options
    jake lylejake lyle Posts: 6,146
    Forum Member
    ronant wrote: »
    They do look a bit worse but most of the changes are because of ITV's soap block. It's pretty difficult to avoid..

Indeed I can see more changes than usual tomorrow.
  • Options
    sn_22sn_22 Posts: 6,477
    Forum Member

They're clearly getting behind Branestawm - you can tell that from its prominence on the press release. Good to see them get behind something brand new too - and I hope it works out.

Ridiculous over reactions on here as usual. The schedules will never look as neat and tidy as they should, but that's just a fuction of trying to avoid all those clashes that "aren't allowed"..,
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cylon6 wrote: »
    Atlantis was a million higher last year a poor first series drove viewers away. And consolidating below 5m in a slot where Doctor Who got 7m a few weeks ago isn't good enough. Saturday night is all about being competitive and has been for decades. It's not aplace for low rating Panorama documentaries on rainforest depletion. Saturday night is for hit shows.

in that case we better axe casualty while we are at it as atlantis was higher in the official barb ratings.

also itv should axe the chase celebrity show. ;-)
  • Options
    AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sn_22 wrote: »
    They're clearly getting behind Branestawm - you can tell that from its prominence on the press release. Good to see them get behind something brand new too - and I hope it works out.

Ridiculous over reactions on here as usual. The schedules will never look as neat and tidy as they should, but that's just a fuction of trying to avoid all those clashes that "aren't allowed"..,

As far as i know the only clash that has always been deliberately avoided on Christmas day is between EastEnders and Corrie. These two soaps have never clashed and no other agreement, as far as I'm aware, exists between any other programmes.

And lo! corrie and EE are not clashing on Christmas Day this year either.
  • Options
    northladnorthlad Posts: 1,823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The text santa programme on itv3 has produced some really funny moments.Philip Schofield doing a brilliant job,dashing around itv studios and around London.Interesting to see what it will do to itv3 ratings today.
  • Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    in that case we better axe casualty while we are at it as atlantis was higher in the official barb ratings.

also itv should axe the chase celebrity show. ;-)

Casualty should be reduced. But is probably cheaper to make. The Paradise had better ratings than Casualty some weeks. Which one is still with us? ;)
  • Options
    iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Read this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-29441893

Something in that write up makes me think this isn't pitched at a CBBC audience. I think they have made it more of a "grown up" family offering given the tone of this news piece and the cast who are in it. It might well be better suited to a post EE 8pm prime slot than tea time. We're all jumping to conclusions, but I am beginning to think this could be a perfect Xmas Eve family drama.

Just bulk up the rest of the evening afterwards!

BIB: Really?

Charlie Higson says "I loved Norman Hunter's Professor Branestawm books when I was a kid, and I loved reading them to my own kids, who found them as funny as I did."

That sounds like it's pitched to a CBBC audience to me.

You can't have a drama like this finishing at half past nine on Christmas Eve. Even Wallace & Gromit didn't finish this late when they were on Christmas Day. Kids stay up late on Christmas Day but they go to bed early on Christmas Eve.

I like to congratulate Andy23 on his job as Head of Scheduling, BBC1. He's done a splendid job in knackering up BBC1's Christmas schedule. Practically nothing in the right slot.>:(

(More comments from me shortly. Maybe with a bit more rationale.;-))
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it ain't over till the fat lady sings, they could still be a a little jiggery pokery.

i hope the beeb have the balls like others have said and put eastenders at 9pm, mrs brown at 9.30pm and eastenders at 10.10pm. heres hoping.

EastEnders at 10pm? I don't think it has been that late since the first EastEnders double bill in 1986. Would you keep Miranda at 8.30pm?
  • Options
    sn_22sn_22 Posts: 6,477
    Forum Member
    wizzywick wrote: »
    As far as i know the only clash that has always been deliberately avoided on Christmas day is between EastEnders and Corrie. These two soaps have never clashed and no other agreement, as far as I'm aware, exists between any other programmes.

Seems pretty clear that none of the soaps clash with each other on Christmas Day (plenty on here don't think the BBC One comedies should go out opposite Corrie, either) - and by the time you've sorted those four hours into shape, there's very little wiggle room left for anything else! Not that it will stop people trying.
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,674
    Forum Member
    northlad wrote: »
    The text santa programme on itv3 has produced some really funny moments.Philip Schofield doing a brilliant job,dashing around itv studios and around London.Interesting to see what it will do to itv3 ratings today.
    One for TV anoraks more than a mainstream TV audience perhaps ? I'm not a fan of Schofield or ITV daytime but as a bit of a TV anorak I did have a look out of curiosity and it's an interesting experiment but I couldn't help but think it was lacking in some departments taking into account the needs of the wider audience, in particular the housewives ITV will be targetting.

I wouldn't be that surprised if in some slots it rates worse than ITV3's usual programming. Could be wrong though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    Thanks to Elgin over on GB...

Christmas Day
    BBC1
    5 - Strictly Come Dancing
    6:15 - Doctor Who
    7:15 - Call The Midwife
    8:30 - Miranda
    9 - Eastenders
    10 - Mrs Brown's Boys
    10:40 - Michael McIntyre

ITV
    4:20 - Elf
    5:20 - You've Been Framed!
    5:50 - For The Love Of Dogs
    6:50 - ITV News & Weather
    7 - Emmerdale
    8 - Coronation Street
    9 - Downton Abbey

Christ, that's a predictable final schedule, if it is indeed final.

Just had another look at the current Christmas Day schedule and I can see that whoever said ITV wouldn't want their soaps starting 45 minutes into BBC1 shows (sorry, too many posts to look through to remind me who posted that) is right.

So I can see ITV taking out YBF! and going:
    5.20 For The Love Of Dogs
    6.20 Emmerdale
    7.20 News
    7.30 Corrie
    8.30 Downton

which would suit BBC1 nicely (and mean no Miranda clash with Corrie.)

I was going to say that "Alternatively, YBF is the one ITV programme that can be edited to fit any size slot so the could expand it to maybe 45 minutes and run everything 15 minutes later", but that leads to another Corrie/Eastenders overlap and an awkward slot for Downton (9.15 to 11.15).
  • Options
    RobbieSykes123RobbieSykes123 Posts: 14,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    iaindb wrote: »
    BIB: Really?

Charlie Higson says "I loved Norman Hunter's Professor Branestawm books when I was a kid, and I loved reading them to my own kids, who found them as funny as I did."

That sounds like it's pitched to a CBBC audience to me.

It was a combination of the bit about health and safety officers, Charlie Higson writing it, and the comedy/acting talent signed up for it (not least Mr Hill himself). It just made me think the Beeb were adapting something that is based on a children's book (and which kids might want to watch/have mummy and daddy record for them) but which will appeal to adults as well - a sort of modern day Mr Bean.

Just a thought anyway, trying to rationalise why it's at 8.30-9.30 in the schedule!

And you can't argue with that particular fact - because as things stand, that's exactly where it is!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

But they are clashing on Boxing Day as things stand.
  • Options
    northladnorthlad Posts: 1,823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    One for TV anoraks more than a mainstream TV audience perhaps ? I'm not a fan of Schofield or ITV daytime but as a bit of a TV anorak I did have a look out of curiosity and it's an interesting experiment but I couldn't help but think it was lacking in some departments taking into account the needs of the wider audience, in particular the housewives ITV will be targetting.

I wouldn't be that surprised if in some slots it rates worse than ITV3's usual programming. Could be wrong though.

Well you could be right,and the fact its trending worldwide probably isnt a good indicator.
    Not a fan of his either but you have to admit he is a brilliant tv presenter to keep it going for 24 hours,lots of insights into how itv operates on the southbank to.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What needs to be reiterated is that no channel owes any other channel a favour over Christmas. They schedule what us best for them. ITV have been smart and I applaud them for it. It's not varied but it's effective.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iaindb wrote: »
    But they are clashing on Boxing Day as things stand.

Indeed, but I don't think the Xmas Day "gentleman's agreement" covers Boxing Day and Corrie is, unusually for Boxing Day, an hour long.

i really want the BBC to stick to its guns this year. The soaps are a pain in the arse and is ruining Christmas telly because nothing can be on at decent times without accommodating soaps. And, frankly expecting the BBC to schedule around ITV's hours and hours of soap during the fortnight just to make it fairer for ITV is ridiculous.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What needs to be reiterated is that no channel owes any other channel a favour over Christmas. They schedule what us best for them. ITV have been smart and I applaud them for it. It's not varied but it's effective.

Smart or reckless? If the BBC don't blink again, ITV may have to. BBC1's schedule currently suits BBC1. If it doesn't suit ITV then ITV need to do something about it.
  • Options
    ScoreScore Posts: 17,288
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For clarity, here is how BBC1 and ITV currently stand for the entire festive fortnight. BBC1 first followed by ITV for each day:

Sat 20th

5.40 Pointless Celebrities
    6.30 Strictly Come Dancing
    7.55 Atlantis
    8.40 Lottery
    8.50 Strictly Come Dancing
    10.00 BBC News

6.00 Celebrity Squares
    7.00 FILM: Harry Potter & The Half Blood Prince
    10.00 The Jonathan Ross Show
    11.30 ITV News

Sun 21st

7.00 Countryfile
    8.00 Antiques Roadshow
    9.00 The Apprentice

6.15 You've Got To Love Christmas
    7.15 Surprise Surprise
    8.15 Midsomer Murders (r)

Mon 22nd

7.00 Celebrity Mastermind
    7.30 A Question of Sport
    8.00 EastEnders
    8.30 Would I Lie To You
    9.00 John Bishop

7.00 Emmerdale
    7.30 Coronation Street
    8.00 Countrywise
    8.30 Coronation Street
    9.00 Tsunami: Survivors' Stories

Tue 23rd

7.30 EastEnders
    8.00 Holby City
    9.00 The Royle Family (r)

7.00 Emmerdale
    7.30 Wilderness Walks
    8.00 Roman Britain From Above
    9.00 Lottery Stories: Be Careful What You Wish For

Xmas Eve

4.20 On Angel Wings
    4.45 FILM: 101 Dalmations (1961)
    6.05 BBC News
    6.25 Toy Story 3
    8.00 EastEnders
    8.30 Professor Branestawm
    9.30 Not Going Out
    10.15 The Vicar of Dibley (r)
    10.55 Mrs Brown's Boys (r)

4.35 FILM: Santa Claus
    6.45 ITV News
    7.00 Emmerdale
    7.30 Coronation Street
    8.00 FILM: Skyfall
    10.45 ITV News

Xmas Day

3.10 FILM: Puss in Boots
    4.40 BBC News
    5.00 Strictly Come Dancing
    6.15 Doctor Who
    7.15 Call The Midwife
    8.30 Miranda
    9.00 EastEnders
    10.00 Mrs Brown's Boys
    10.40 Michael McIntyre

3.10 The Queen's Garden
    4.10 ITV News
    4.20 Elf: Buddy's Musical Christmas
    5.20 You've Been Framed
    5.50 Paul O'Grady: For The Love of Dogs
    6.50 ITV News
    7.00 Emmerdale
    8.00 Coronation Street
    9.00 Downton Abbey

Boxing Day

6.30 The Boy in The Dress
    7.30 Still Open All Hours
    8.00 EastEnders
    8.30 FILM: Avengers Assemble
    10.40 BBC News

7.00 Emmerdale
    7.30 Coronation Street
    8.30 Birds of A Feather
    9.00 Bradley's Christmas Cracker
    10.00 Through The Keyhole

Sat 27th

6.20 Celebrity Mastermind
    6.50 Pointless Celebrities
    7.40 National Lottery: Win Your Wish List
    8.30 Bruce's Hall of Fame
    9.40 Mrs Brown's Boys (r)

6.00 You Saw Them Here First
    7.00 FILM: Harry Potter & The Deathly Hallows Part 1
    9.50 Darcy Oake

Sun 28th

6.30 Countryfile
    7.30 Still Open All Hours
    8.00 Antiques Roadshow
    9.00 Last Tango in Halifax

6.00 The Queen's Garden
    7.00 Christmas Epic Fails
    8.00 All Star Family Fortunes
    9.00 It'll Be Alright on The Night

Mon 29th

6.20 FILM: The Muppets
    8.00 EastEnders
    8.30 Miranda (r)
    9.00 Mapp & Lucia

7.00 Emmerdale
    7.30 Coronation Street
    8.00 Countrywise
    8.30 Coronation Street
    9.00 I Shot 2014

Tue 30th

6.00 FILM: Madagascar 3
    7.30 EastEnders
    8.00 Holby City
    9.00 Mapp & Lucia

7.00 Emmerdale
    7.30 Wilderness Walks
    8.00 FILM: Harry Potter & The Deathly Hallows Part 2

New Year's Eve

4.15 Top of The Pops
    5.15 Pointless
    6.00 BBC News
    6.30 Celebrity Mastermind
    7.00 FILM: Indiana Jones & The Kingdom of The Crystal Skull
    9.00 Mapp & Lucia
    10.00 BBC News
    10.15 Graham Norton
    11.15 New Year's Eve Live
    11.55 New Year's Eve Fireworks
    00.10 New Year's Eve Live
    00.30 Mrs Brown's Boys (r)

7.00 Emmerdale
    7.30 Coronation Street
    8.00 Rita & Me
    9.00 2014: A Funny Old Year
    10.00 Tommy Cooper: Not Like That Like This (r)
    00.00 ITV News

New Year's Day

6.30 Esio Trot
    8.00 Miranda
    8.30 EastEnders
    9.35 Mrs Brown's Boys
    10.10 BBC News

7.00 Emmerdale
    7.30 You've Been Framed
    8.00 Emmerdale
    8.30 Birds of A Feather
    9.00 FILM: The Dark Knight
    11.55 ITV News

Fri 2nd

7.30 A Question of Sport
    8.00 EastEnders
    8.30 Room 101
    9.00 The Musketeers

7.00 Emmerdale
    7.30 Coronation Street
    8.00 The Martin Lewis Money Show
    8.30 Coronation Street
    9.00 Benidorm
  • Options
    RobbieSykes123RobbieSykes123 Posts: 14,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is clearly going to be some Xmas Day re-working tomorrow. It would be even madder than ITV's efforts in the past 2 years to have EmFm starting 15 mins before the end of DW, even if it does mean they get a 15 jump on CTM.

I'm pretty sure we'll end up with ITV going something like

3.10 Queen's Garden
    4.05 Elf
    4.50 News
    5.00 YBF
    5.30 POG's Dogs
    6.30 Em
    7.30 Coro
    8.30 Downton

on the basis that Em viewers might switch to the last 15 mins of Dogs after SCD than default view DW and not switch over at 7pm. It would also mean DA doesn't finish at 11pm.

I suspect then we will see BBC1 run as planned but with EE at 8.30 and Miranda at 9.30.

Quite how they pad out 4.35pm to 5pm with trailers and news I don't know, but I guess they will do....
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 181
    Forum Member
    Many Christmas specials of Only Fools And Horses weren't set at Christmas and went out on Christmas Day.

And the recent Come Fly With Me and Gavin & Stacey episodes shown on Christmas Day were just normal episodes from a series (Gavin & Stacey's episode was episode five! not even a start of a series!)
  • Options
    dulliredullire Posts: 20,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Soap Officials w/c 17th November 2014:

Coronation Street:

Mon: / 9.01m [+790k]

EastEnders:

Mon: 7.75m [+790k]
    Tue: 7.28m [+700k]
    Thu: 7.22m [+700k]
    Fri: 7.03m [+540k]

Avg.: 7.32m [+683k]

Source: Barb

DMN/ronant, have either of you got the Corrie/Emmerdale officials for w/c 17th November without +1? :)
  • Options
    H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't see Phillip Schofield's Text Santa broadcast averaging any more than 400k. I imagine the daytime section will be around the 100k mark and the evening around 300k peaking at 500k.

I'm not a fan of his either but I commend him for doing it unpaid for charity.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is clearly going to be some Xmas Day re-working tomorrow. It would be even madder than ITV's efforts in the past 2 years to have EmFm starting 15 mins before the end of DW, even if it does mean they get a 15 jump on CTM.

I'm pretty sure we'll end up with ITV going something like

3.10 Queen's Garden
    4.05 Elf
    4.50 News
    5.00 YBF
    5.30 POG's Dogs
    6.30 Em
    7.30 Coro
    8.30 Downton

on the basis that Em viewers might switch to the last 15 mins of Dogs after SCD than default view DW and not switch over at 7pm. It would also mean DA doesn't finish at 11pm.

I suspect then we will see BBC1 run as planned but with EE at 8.30 and Miranda at 9.30.

Quite how they pad out 4.35pm to 5pm with trailers and news I don't know, but I guess they will do....

All ITV need do is swap Emmerdale and Paul O'Grady around. Stick EmDale at 5.50pm and Paul O Grady at 7. problem solved.

Also, do you think BBC1 will play that all star music video they played back in October after Puss in Boots? This would fill 3 minutes and then just a couple of trails before the news and a couple of trails afterwards would put them back on track at five!
  • Options
    JordyDJordyD Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Strip Emmerdale and CS from ITV's Christmas schedule, then you don't have much left.

Is Downton Abbey really on for 2 hours Christmas Day?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All ITV need do is swap Emmerdale and Paul O'Grady around. Stick EmDale at 5.50pm and Paul O Grady at 7. problem solved.

Also, do you think BBC1 will play that all star music video they played back in October after Puss in Boots? This would fill 3 minutes and then just a couple of trails before the news and a couple of trails afterwards would put them back on track at five!

They could also show the full-length "Seven Ages Of Man" drama promotion with Benedict Cumberbatch. That would take up a good few minutes.
This discussion has been closed.