Options

The Missing

Comments

• Options
    Aurora13Aurora13 Posts: 30,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If that's true, someone must have paid the Romanians a lot of money. Not wishing to go into the unpleasant subject, but I can't imagine a young English boy would be worth that much to the gang. I don't know much about paedophile rings either, but I can't imagine they would pay a fortune for a specific boy.
    That suggests a similar scenario to the 2009 case, with custody the motive. Alternatively, a rich couple who are unable to have a child. Which further suggests that Ollie could still be alive.

The intention was to kidnap James as leverage against Mark. That is why the kidnapper (throat slitter from Romanian gang) was wearing a mask. They didn't want to be recognised. It went wrong they kidnapped the wrong boy. All hell broke out and somebody got injured by the throat slitter. 6 days later they they set about implicating somebody else with the abduction of Ollie. A known paedophile Alain.
  • Options
    RecordPlayerRecordPlayer Posts: 22,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rini, the ex druggie who is now the schoolteacher. :)

Thank you for reminding me. :) Her boyfriend was killed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TRIPS wrote: »
    :)
    Yes.trouble is with Mark, i find it hard to believe he is a liaison officer and a detective and he just so happens to be on holiday in a small town where the abduction takes place, how handy, then again i cant believe he would be allowed to take his son if he was there on official business. can only think it was a coincidence.
    If he would even had to take a short train ride then that would be fine, I suppose it's just another thing the writers have thrown in to confuse us.

He was on holiday. Detectives go on holiday.
  • Options
    Loz KernowLoz Kernow Posts: 2,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Trudi Monk wrote: »
    This thread is reminding me of when Mr Monk and I went on a murder mystery weekend.
    We stayed up 'til four o'clock in the morning working on our conclusion. It was so complicated that it was virtually a flow chart showing X murdered Y which resulted in Z murdering A.
    When the murderer was revealed it was very disappointing that it was the most obvious person who had been our first suspect that we discounted at once because it was too obvious.:(

Still loving the thread and The Missing and would like to book my place on the Baptiste Bateau:D

Your place is booked :)

I'm putting my faith in the writers re the ending.
  • Options
    gerry23gerry23 Posts: 403
    Forum Member
    I've been thinking about the "what a coincidence Mark was in the area" bit for ages now. If this all happened in a holiday resort I could run with it. But this is a smallish and rather nondescript and quite boring inland town in northern France - is that really the type of place you'd take a young boy on holiday?

And I've still to work out if he really does (or did) work for Interpol and it was just the "computer expert" bit that was a fabrication for Bourg's benefit or whether the Interpol AND the computer expert were both fabrications. Do Interpol have family liaison officers?

And for anyone wishing to book a berth on the boat, looks like after today's activity, we're getting pretty full (You need to check with Loz) - poor old Baptiste's limp look set to get even worse. :D:D:D
  • Options
    SaxondaleSaxondale Posts: 15
    Forum Member
    Is the fact that the hotel is named the Hotel d’Eden significant?

Was it not in the Garden of Eden that all innocence was lost? And was it not the female that lured the male into eating the forbidden fruit? All of which ties in nicely with the Queen Bee theory.
  • Options
    ForGodsSakeForGodsSake Posts: 16,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Monique is the girl that Tony had a one night stand with, isn't she? What evidence or dialogue is there to hint that she has any connection she has to Eden?

I reckon she is Sylvie and Alains daughter that moved away and now the mayor "doesn't see her so much".
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    Newbie here :):):)

Sorry if i repeat anything that anyone's said but I'm so engrossed in The Missing and your forum posts that I thought I'd post some of my thoughts.

I think that it's Alain and Syvie (and Syvie is the 'queen bee') and that they are running some kind of human trafficking system based in the hotel. The hotel's name - Eden means 'paradise' which could be ironic as it is the opposite of this, where children are taken. For what purpose, I don't know, but when the camera lingered on those missing children photographs in the police station, it made me think that it might not have been a one-off, and that Sylvie is behind all this? The evidence of the sobriety medal (if it was evidence and Mark didn't tamper with the contents of the envelope) and the broken tv which could have been used to film the families/children so that S + A would know where they were, to abduct them.

What is on the top floor of the hotel? From the outside there is obviously a second floor, but we have only seen Tony and Emily walking up the stairs to their room on the first floor, we do not see any stairs up to another floor. Are their abduction plans/whatever they are doing hidden up there, possibly with Ollie? Could he have been up there on the second floor for all this time, after going to the house?

Something that I noticed- the end credits song for episode 7 was 'Heartbreak Hotel' which is maybe a clue, or maybe just a reference to the heartbreak of losing Ollie and nothing to do with Sylvie and Alain. Maybe the end credits songs will be significant? Just as they always seem to be random songs, but I never noticed before what the actual songs were. Could anyone shed any light onto what the previous 6 episodes end credits song's were?

Sorry if I've rambled, or you think its complete rubbish haha, I just needed to contribute as I'm so wrapped up in this show, I can't wait for next week to find out what really happened!!!:D:D:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    My money is that Mark Walsh, who was going through a divorce at the time, paid the Romanians to abduct of his own son but Oliver was taken by accident in a case of mistaken identity. And I think he swapped the real evidence from the journalist, which would've incriminated him, for the sobriety coin in an attempt to frame Alain.
  • Options
    rc999rc999 Posts: 297
    Forum Member
    I'm thinking simply of the practicalities of one hour's viewing time left. Particularly at the pace of the show which is slow.

The only resolution that I can see in an hour is that they trace the medal back to the hotel and the whole ring of people involved is exposed. Sylvie is likely the queen bee and the leader of the ring and Tony/Emily get some closure as Sylvie and/or Alain are charged with the kidnap etc. etc. And yes we probably have time to find out that Vincent is Mary Garrett's son (perhaps was dressed as a girl when younger (Molly)). Vincent probably commits suicide. And possibly Monique is Alain and Sylvie's daughter.

All we have been told I believe is that there will be an ending. We will find out what happened to Ollie. But if you are writers then surely you want to have the possibility of a second series too when filming so leave the door open?

So... We get the above storyline and the case is closed. But at the same time we find out what actually happened to Ollie. He was taken by the Romanian gang (possibly mistakenly). The gang worked to frame Alain/Sylvie with the planting of the medal. Baptiste, Laurence and Mark all knew that the area around the pool was to be searched again and could have easily fed that back and when Ziane finds the medal we see Zieg watching on cooly almost as though he was checking it would be found. We find out which one of the police is linked with the gang, likely Mark but a possibility it is Laurence or Baptiste, and in the closing shots we see Ollie alive and well wherever he is today.

Writers say if it ends there it ends there but there is a door open to revisit for a second series.
  • Options
    ForGodsSakeForGodsSake Posts: 16,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The BPC List is now open.

(The Baptiste Pleasure Cruise)

:D
  • Options
    BurrercupBurrercup Posts: 265
    Forum Member
    Aurora13 wrote: »
    Penny is Emily Mum and Costel is a Romanian gang member. Where is this scene at the hospital? :confused:

The scene at the hospital was when James broke his ankle. His Mum and her new husband/partner turned up to see him.
  • Options
    TRIPSTRIPS Posts: 3,714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aurora13 wrote: »
    The intention was to kidnap James as leverage against Mark. That is why the kidnapper (throat slitter from Romanian gang) was wearing a mask. They didn't want to be recognised. It went wrong they kidnapped the wrong boy. All hell broke out and somebody got injured by the throat slitter. 6 days later they they set about implicating somebody else with the abduction of Ollie. A known paedophile Alain.
    Maybe true and nearly every theory now seems to have a contradiction, am sure if they wanted to implicate Alain they could find a better way than dropping a coin that may not be found down a grid, how did they get that coin off Allan assuming he had only just received it. also Alain is the Mayors brother and it looks like he is connected to the Caid de Citdal. so on one hand you have the Caid de Citadel framing him and on the other you have the mayor who is also has big connection to the same gang covering up for him.
    There is only one theory that adds up on the facts we know now, posted a few days ago by Michele 2532
    Alain and maybe SIeg abducted Ollie, abused and killed him Alain panics and phones his brother, still not certain about the blood but if it was Alain then it could only be Ollies but something went on that's impossible to explain right now.
    The Mayor uses his contacts in Paris to call in the Caid De Citadel to clean the mess up.( like pulp fiction)
    It's no coincidence there are so many pedophiles in Chalon the mayor is giving them protection funded by Garrett. the rest is fallout from Ollies abduction, i suppose the writers will give us a different ending but that's the only theory that doesn't seem to have any contradictions.
    The biggest clue that's been the hardest to explain is how do the Caid de Citdadel get involved in this, they are a Parisian gang, they could only have cleaned up the mess or took him to Paris.
    I really do hope am wrong and Ollie is in Paris as that's what i thought all along but with only one episode left then ive no idea how Tony is able to solve the mystery in Chalon and then find out whats happened to Ollie in Paris.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 83
    Forum Member
    Thank you for reminding me. :) Her boyfriend was killed.

I thought Rini's boyfriend was the black teacher she moved in with? Saw her returning to him after she had held the knife to her brothers throat.....
  • Options
    Gordie1Gordie1 Posts: 6,993
    Forum Member
    My money is on the series ending with Tony and Emily getting a phonecall from a man saying "if you want to see your boy alive, do exactly as i say":D
  • Options
    Weenie_StixWeenie_Stix Posts: 139
    Forum Member
    24_Sm wrote: »
    I thought Rini's boyfriend was the black teacher she moved in with? Saw her returning to him after she had held the knife to her brothers throat.....

This is her boyfriend in present day, the undercover cop was her boyfriend in 2006.
  • Options
    mimi dlcmimi dlc Posts: 13,423
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gordie1 wrote: »
    My money is on the series ending with Tony and Emily getting a phonecall from a man saying "if you want to see your boy alive, do exactly as i say":D

NNOOOOOOO!!!:D

I'm like a child waiting for xmas- considering just sleeping solidly for the next three days to bring tuesday closer
  • Options
    Mitu_PappiMitu_Pappi Posts: 1,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gordie1 wrote: »

Like a line from malik. I know what happened to Olli. That line was played again and again in the trailers.

Malik knew bugger all. Even less than us on this thread. Talk of leading up a cul de sac
  • Options
    Davina's LabiaDavina's Labia Posts: 547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Beckyxxx wrote: »
    Something that I noticed- the end credits song for episode 7 was 'Heartbreak Hotel' which is maybe a clue, or maybe just a reference to the heartbreak of losing Ollie and nothing to do with Sylvie and Alain. Maybe the end credits songs will be significant? Just as they always seem to be random songs, but I never noticed before what the actual songs were. Could anyone shed any light onto what the previous 6 episodes end credits song's were?

Sorry if I've rambled, or you think its complete rubbish haha, I just needed to contribute as I'm so wrapped up in this show, I can't wait for next week to find out what really happened!!!:D:D:D

No you haven't rambled, all speculation is welcome here! Good point about the music. I've had a look on iPlayer. Sadly Eps 1, 2 and 3 are no longer available, but regarding the rest, they are all 1930s blues tracks by Robert Johnson. Here are the lyrics we hear in each episode:

Ep. 4 "I went to the crossroad, fell down on my knees, asked the Lord above, have mercy now"

Ep. 5 "I got a kind hearted woman, do anything in this world for me. But these evil-hearted women, they will not let me be. You well's to kill me, as to have it on your mind"

Ep. 6 "When you've got a good friend, that will stay right by your side, give her all your spare time, love and treat her right"

Like everything in this series I'm sure they're relevant, but these are too cryptic for me!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32
    Forum Member
    Does anyone think that the female policewoman Laurence might be Sylvie's daughter and therefore the mystery niece of the Mayor Georges Deloix? Might it explain family loyalty and the feeding for information. The last episode had a couple of scenes where the camera lingered on her for some time suggesting she is thinking/hiding something.
    Just an idea, I think the ending may be a lot more obvious and simple than we think. Could the Citadel gang be the people who traffic the children into the town. Its an awful thought an I know a few people on here think the possible paedophile ring is a red herring, but maybe it's not. Maybe it is really just as obvious as that?
    I don't know, but I am looking forward to Tuesday.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dr_Bobby wrote: »
    My money is that Mark Walsh, who was going through a divorce at the time, paid the Romanians to abduct of his own son but Oliver was taken by accident in a case of mistaken identity. And I think he swapped the real evidence from the journalist, which would've incriminated him, for the sobriety coin in an attempt to frame Alain.

I agree Ollie was abducted instead of James. But not sure if Mark planned it or my preferred option of intention was to kidnap James as leverage against Mark in his work with Interpol. Either way for Tony / Emily / Ollie - wrong place / wrong time.

Paedophile ring operating out of Eden is a separate but linked story. Tony uncovered the ring in his determination to find out what happened to Ollie.
  • Options
    BethnalGreenBethnalGreen Posts: 12,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My mind is awash with theories lol :D I get that Monique is still to be explained and the most likely explanation is that she is the hotel owners' daughter etc, but I am still confused as to how Laurence fits into all this. Could she possibly be their daughter instead as it would explain some things about her 'close' relationship with the mayor?
  • Options
    BethnalGreenBethnalGreen Posts: 12,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does anyone think that the female policewoman Laurence might be Sylvie's daughter and therefore the mystery niece of the Mayor Georges Deloix? Might it explain family loyalty and the feeding for information. The last episode had a couple of scenes where the camera lingered on her for some time suggesting she is thinking/hiding something.
    Just an idea, I think the ending may be a lot more obvious and simple than we think. Could the Citadel gang be the people who traffic the children into the town. Its an awful thought an I know a few people on here think the possible paedophile ring is a red herring, but maybe it's not. Maybe it is really just as obvious as that?

lol I was just thinking the same thing and missed your post! :D
  • Options
    Kat 68Kat 68 Posts: 426
    Forum Member
    24_Sm wrote: »

Her boyfriend in 2006 was the undercover cop when she was a druggie. Fast forward to 2014 and she's now a teacher with a new boyfriend.:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Not sure about that but she is definitely the link with the Mayor. Her comment last week that that Tony / Emily could go and see the father interviewed in 2009 as Mark was a friend rang some alarm bells. Also her reaction to Mark appearing again last week. She smiled when he came off train and along platform. The kiss was uneasy. Has Mark been cultivating this friendship to make sure he still has inside information about what is going on in Chalon Du Bois.