Options

The Missing

Comments

• Options
    Kat 68Kat 68 Posts: 426
    Forum Member
    My mind is awash with theories lol :D I get that Monique is still to be explained and the most likely explanation is that she is the hotel owners' daughter etc, but I am still confused as to how Laurence fits into all this. Could she possibly be their daughter instead as it would explain some things about her 'close' relationship with the mayor?

Why does Monique need to be explained? Maybe just two troubled souls seeking comfort and escape for a few hours.
  • Options
    BethnalGreenBethnalGreen Posts: 12,205
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kat 68 wrote: »
    Why does Monique need to be explained? Maybe just two troubled souls seeking comfort and escape for a few hours.

she doesn't and I agree with you. It could be a red herring and just a part of the story to explain Tony's character development. However, I was referring to the previous discussion people have had on this and have convinced themselves that nothing is random in this story and that she must be part of it somehow and have convinced themselves that Monique is the hotel owner's daughter?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Does anyone think that the female policewoman Laurence might be Sylvie's daughter and therefore the mystery niece of the Mayor Georges Deloix? Might it explain family loyalty and the feeding for information. The last episode had a couple of scenes where the camera lingered on her for some time suggesting she is thinking/hiding something.
    Just an idea, I think the ending may be a lot more obvious and simple than we think. Could the Citadel gang be the people who traffic the children into the town. Its an awful thought an I know a few people on here think the possible paedophile ring is a red herring, but maybe it's not. Maybe it is really just as obvious as that?
    I don't know, but I am looking forward to Tuesday.

The niece worked in a hotel and had to move away when the town became a ghost town after Ollies abduction and he said he therefore rarely sees her now.
  • Options
    Weenie_StixWeenie_Stix Posts: 139
    Forum Member
    I've seen lots of posters looking for all the episodes, I watch them on YouTube, I can post the link to them but I want to make sure first I'm not breaking any rules by doing so.
  • Options
    RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Beckyxxx wrote: »
    Newbie here :):):)

Sorry if i repeat anything that anyone's said but I'm so engrossed in The Missing and your forum posts that I thought I'd post some of my thoughts.

I think that it's Alain and Syvie (and Syvie is the 'queen bee') and that they are running some kind of human trafficking system based in the hotel. The hotel's name - Eden means 'paradise' which could be ironic as it is the opposite of this, where children are taken. For what purpose, I don't know, but when the camera lingered on those missing children photographs in the police station, it made me think that it might not have been a one-off, and that Sylvie is behind all this? The evidence of the sobriety medal (if it was evidence and Mark didn't tamper with the contents of the envelope) and the broken tv which could have been used to film the families/children so that S + A would know where they were, to abduct them.

What is on the top floor of the hotel? From the outside there is obviously a second floor, but we have only seen Tony and Emily walking up the stairs to their room on the first floor, we do not see any stairs up to another floor. Are their abduction plans/whatever they are doing hidden up there, possibly with Ollie? Could he have been up there on the second floor for all this time, after going to the house?

Something that I noticed- the end credits song for episode 7 was 'Heartbreak Hotel' which is maybe a clue, or maybe just a reference to the heartbreak of losing Ollie and nothing to do with Sylvie and Alain. Maybe the end credits songs will be significant? Just as they always seem to be random songs, but I never noticed before what the actual songs were. Could anyone shed any light onto what the previous 6 episodes end credits song's were?

Sorry if I've rambled, or you think its complete rubbish haha, I just needed to contribute as I'm so wrapped up in this show, I can't wait for next week to find out what really happened!!!:D:D:D

Welcome to DS and the thread. :)
    Nothing wrong with your theory. I just can't quite see how Sylvie and Alain could get away with running a trafficking operation from the hotel. Surely the police would have noticed some kind of connection if children were continuously going missing after staying there with their parents ?
    Personally, I think people are reading too much into the "queen bee" business. I could be wrong of course, but I think some things are just there to pad out the conversation and enhance the relationship between characters.
    I'm not expecting too many surprises in the final episode, there's simply not the time. I think the sobriety medal is genuine evidence and leads us back to Alain. There will still be a lot to explain in the hour left, and maybe one of the good guys will turn out to be a rogue. But I'm rather hoping that it doesn't turn out to be a rushed affair with loose ends everywhere. I've seen that happen too often before with series that promised so much, then ended in a mess.
  • Options
    Aurora13Aurora13 Posts: 30,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who was present when the raid on the warehouse was being discussed, when the undercover cop said he had further information and wanted to meet at the train station and when Ziane said he would talk if he could see his son?
    Baptiste.
    Aurora13 wrote: »
    Answer to 3pm raid / 8pm meeting undercover cop = Mark

Ziane = member of Romanian Gang.

Isn't Jean Marie Amede the guy sitting at the table in the prison when Baptiste / Tony / Emily visit.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/5XHNldQJ6QYlSVnpqLb67S9/who-are-the-caid-de-cite
  • Options
    Forum Member
    she doesn't and I agree with you. It could be a red herring and just a part of the story to explain Tony's character development. However, I was referring to the previous discussion people have had on this and have convinced themselves that nothing is random in this story and that she must be part of it somehow and have convinced themselves that Monique is the hotel owner's daughter?

She may well turn out to be a crucial character but I never really took much notice of her or how relevant she was or wasn't to the story. It's only when I came on here and there were literally hundreds of posts about her that I started to doubt myself about who's significant and who isn't. I shall stick true to myself and believe she is nothing at all to do with this.

Mind you I also rubbished the theory that Mark was a baddie and now this thread has convinced me that he is. He better be or I'll be mad at myself for not staying firm in what I believe. This thread is brainwashing me!!!!:p
  • Options
    RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FrankBT wrote: »
    I dont want to give too much away as others might still want to see this so...
    She was tried and convicted of conspiracy to murder. The accused, DI Lindsey Denton was very much out on a limb. We only know what really happened in the ambush because of that flashback. Otherwise here was someone accused of taking part in an ambush, and later on was found to have a large sum of cash in a bag found in her house who couldn't explain where it came from. That's what finally did for her in the end.

The person who gave it to her was dead (DCS Jane Akers), One of the killers was murdered by his accomplice, and the surviving killer was given immunity from prosecution, so his evidence wasn't admissible nor could he be put on trial. Denton also lied about contacting the nurse in the ITU at the hospital where the only surviving witness was killed shortly afterwards. So no jury member given all that could seriously believe she was just an innocent bystander.

Oh right, thanks. It's all coming back to me now. I would have liked to have seen one more episode covering the trial though. It would have been a very complicated case. :)
  • Options
    gerry23gerry23 Posts: 403
    Forum Member
    I think we've run with the Monique theory, because once upon a time on this thread, someone posted the IMDb cast list (as a spoiler, I hasten to add) and looking at that would have led you to believe that Monique was more significant than she has so far turned out to be.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    Welcome to DS and the thread. :)
    Nothing wrong with your theory. I just can't quite see how Sylvie and Alain could get away with running a trafficking operation from the hotel. Surely the police would have noticed some kind of connection if children were continuously going missing after staying there with their parents ?
    Personally, I think people are reading too much into the "queen bee" business. I could be wrong of course, but I think some things are just there to pad out the conversation and enhance the relationship between characters.
    I'm not expecting too many surprises in the final episode, there's simply not the time. I think the sobriety medal is genuine evidence and leads us back to Alain. There will still be a lot to explain in the hour left, and maybe one of the good guys will turn out to be a rogue. But I'm rather hoping that it doesn't turn out to be a rushed affair with loose ends everywhere. I've seen that happen too often before with series that promised so much, then ended in a mess.

I do agree with you in that respect, if it was happening in the hotel, how are they still getting away with it? But if the Mayor is Alain's brother, maybe he has something to do with covering it up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No you haven't rambled, all speculation is welcome here! Good point about the music. I've had a look on iPlayer. Sadly Eps 1, 2 and 3 are no longer available, but regarding the rest, they are all 1930s blues tracks by Robert Johnson. Here are the lyrics we hear in each episode:

Ep. 4 "I went to the crossroad, fell down on my knees, asked the Lord above, have mercy now"

Ep. 5 "I got a kind hearted woman, do anything in this world for me. But these evil-hearted women, they will not let me be. You well's to kill me, as to have it on your mind"

Ep. 6 "When you've got a good friend, that will stay right by your side, give her all your spare time, love and treat her right"

Like everything in this series I'm sure they're relevant, but these are too cryptic for me!

That's not what I was expecting haha but I remember them sounding a bit creepy!, so thanks for looking! They're too cryptic for me too, maybe the significance of the songs will be made clear in the last episode,. Fingers crossed that everything will be made clear, I would hate a cliffhanger ending :o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    I wonder if Vincent is rejecting a donated/stolen kidney or something there seems to be a couple of sick or injured children in this series ie broken ankle , the reporters son has cystic fibrosis. Garret said he wanted to keep the past alive I wonder if Molly is alive somewhere and needs a donor/ stolen organ of some kind. Just a thought.
  • Options
    TRIPSTRIPS Posts: 3,714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gerry23 wrote: »
    I think we've run with the Monique theory, because once upon a time on this thread, someone posted the IMDb cast list (as a spoiler, I hasten to add) and looking at that would have led you to believe that Monique was more significant than she has so far turned out to be.
    Thought she would play a significant part of the plot in 2014 by helping Tony but never even considered her in the slightest being connected to 2006 plot,
    The millions to one chance meeting with Tony has to be explained otherwise there is no point in considering here involved,
    The chances of Tony walking through Paris in a daze aimlessly and sitting down in a vacant seat of his choosing that so happens to be nearby a girl who looks like shes been painting for hours who happens to be involved in Tonys search for Ollie is just not believable. she would of had to have followed him and sat next to him. If the writers can explain this then fine but they would have to do this to justify her being part of the plot before she met Tony.
  • Options
    raj_bahandaraj_bahanda Posts: 45
    Forum Member
    I think that we definitely have to bear in mind that in the final episode we are going to probably see a lot of scenes back from 2006 and when Ollie was taken,we also have to find out what happened and if the culprits are caught in the present and there are various other plot lines to resolve. This does not really leave much time for any new revelations so i think all the clues and twists are pretty much done with maybe one last one which might relate to Sobriety coin.

To me the culprit is either Vincent Bourg who i am sure we will find out his Mary Garrett's son and Ian's stepson and he was being abused from childhood or it must relate to the hotel owners and possibly Ollie being taken by mistake instead of James but we will see.
  • Options
    RecordPlayerRecordPlayer Posts: 22,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aurora13 wrote: »
    Isn't Jean Marie Amede the guy sitting at the table in the prison when Baptiste / Tony / Emily visit.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/5XHNldQJ6QYlSVnpqLb67S9/who-are-the-caid-de-cite

Yes, I'd say it's him and Costa Costel is the neck slasher, I think.
  • Options
    raj_bahandaraj_bahanda Posts: 45
    Forum Member
    I still Think the Sobriety coin could be misleading(perhaps Alain fell off the wagon that night and ended up missing his meeting and going and grabbing few drinks whilst watching the Football and lost the coin on way home) but we will only know once they tell whether it has Ollie's blood on it or not.

Another thought has just occurred to me and that is what if Karl Steig planted the Sobriety Coin and was watching that day just to make sure it was found after all that was about 4 days later after he had cleaned house.I was even thinking that perhaps he found the Sobriety Coin at the house when he was cleaning up.

Remember he said there was blood there, well perhaps he found the coin in the house with traces of blood on it and he deliberately placed the coin back near the pool but not to frame Alain as some people think but perhaps for another reason.He seemed to have a conscience when he talked about not wanting to clean Ollie's drawing off the wall as he felt some part of him should remain.Perhaps he left the coin where it could be found hoping that someone might find it and catch the guilty party because he was horrified by what had happened.

If that is the case it would definitely implicate Alain.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    Sorry meant to add Organ Harvesting = Hence the Hive reference
    Sorry for my rambling just having a cheeky drink before my Xmas Party which is thankfully tonight.🍹🍷😀.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Jo_Cutting wrote: »
    I wonder if Vincent is rejecting a donated/stolen kidney or something there seems to be a couple of sick or injured children in this series ie broken ankle , the reporters son has cystic fibrosis. Garret said he wanted to keep the past alive I wonder if Molly is alive somewhere and needs a donor/ stolen organ of some kind. Just a thought.

I definitely think this could be a possibility, it would explain the camera lingering on the children's missing pictures as they may have been taken to be used for their organs?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think that we definitely have to bear in mind that in the final episode we are going to probably see a lot of scenes back from 2006 and when Ollie was taken,we also have to find out what happened and if the culprits are caught in the present and there are various other plot lines to resolve. This does not really leave much time for any new revelations so i think all the clues and twists are pretty much done with maybe one last one which might relate to Sobriety coin.

To me the culprit is either Vincent Bourg who i am sure we will find out his Mary Garrett's son and Ian's stepson and he was being abused from childhood or it must relate to the hotel owners and possibly Ollie being taken by mistake instead of James but we will see.

The problem I have with the whole stepson thing is that Garrett told Vincent that no one must ever know they had ever met(or words to that effect) If he was his stepson even the most inept police force could discover that connection surely.
  • Options
    Frank EFrank E Posts: 111
    Forum Member
    Alain seems fine on his own. I think he drinks because of his controlling wife. She may have planted the sobriety medal to get him out the picture. There seems to be no motive. Hotel is tanking? She wants full control of the hotel? That would finish it off.

From the evidence trail

Bourg may not have the WBC to leave as DNA evidence
    His Tx was in Lille 1500 hours on a particular day in June (date obscured) Was it Fri 30th (day before disappearance). Lille is the loc'n of Garrett's offices.

He has a Campylobacter infection (working with chicken and "there was a bug going round work all week").

The injury sheet is dated 2004(?), not round the time Emily was pregnant. the paperwork is sloppy with dates and details, was it a fraudulent claim to get money off Emily's dad? The statement by Greg doesn't read like that of someone who, otherwise seems articulate . "..we seen him all th..."[sic]
    Shanice, Ronnie, Kwame. Are they significant?
    The bank statement came via Mark (Ep2 2006 43min) and he apologised for the delay "releasing something to another government" . Mark seemed unaware of the assault. Though this didn't add up it was corroborated by Emily's dad and not denied by Tony.
    They have drawn a circle round one of Greg's eyes and nose to show the injuries,Reminds one of a mask.

Bourg's doctor is attributing Bourg's bout of illness entirely to side effects of the paraphilia treatment. Why is she doing that when there are lab results to the contrary. Does she have an agenda in the case. What is her name?

What happened to the toy red fire truck?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 46
    Forum Member
    Hi everyone :)

Newbie but have been following this thread from the beginning, loving all the theories!

By the way, can someone clarify for me what most peoples interpretation of the 'queen bee' thing is all about? and how it relates to Sylvie in particular?

I viewed it at the time as Baptiste simply explaining how his wife may have needed winning over when they met? nothing to do with the hotel owner? but sorry if Ive missed something - me and my mum speculate through the whole program like mad and stupidly miss whole parts of speech :D

My theory so far is purely based on the blood in the basement - I said to my mum 'organ traffickers'? and a child ring happening to be exposed by coincidence.....maybe the Garett bloke naturally panicked and thought Bourg or some of his other minions (he obviously has him or maybe others under his control) had made a slip up by taking a child and so fearing exposure of the ring, he naturally starting covering his tracks by offering help to the parents/paying for an alibi etc......but all along hes been taken for a very different reason.

I love that this always leaves more questions at the end of an episode whilst answering some too - like 'The Returned' a brilliant French program shown on Channel 4. 8 weeks also gives time for the plot and character dynamics to change and shift so no one person is the prime suspect but wow 2 months have gone fasttttt

Also sorry to the boys on here but I cant help myself...add me to the Baptiste fanclub :blush: been madly in love since the 1st episode but only because I had a Prof at uni that was the spit of him in personality and looks and now there's a french twin of him i can carry on my obsession :D:blush::D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15
    Forum Member
    Another thought has just occurred to me and that is what if Karl Steig planted the Sobriety Coin and was watching that day just to make sure it was found after all that was about 4 days later after he had cleaned house.I was even thinking that perhaps he found the Sobriety Coin at the house when he was cleaning up.

Remember he said there was blood there, well perhaps he found the coin in the house with traces of blood on it and he deliberately placed the coin back near the pool but not to frame Alain as some people think but perhaps for another reason.He seemed to have a conscience when he talked about not wanting to clean Ollie's drawing off the wall as he felt some part of him should remain.Perhaps he left the coin where it could be found hoping that someone might find it and catch the guilty party because he was horrified by what had happened.

If that is the case it would definitely implicate Alain.

I think you may have something there!

I have just rewatched the cleanup scene, frame by frame, and there is a coin/medal on the dark jacket lying in the blood (or whatever material it is).

Also, a previous poster mentioned that the guy who walked past Sieg in the street looks like the mayor and he does look very similar.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been wondering.... Has Ian Garrett's mansion house been empty for 8 years? Mrs Garrett didn't get to live there, did she. She must have gone mad during those years, wondering what happened to her husband and finally ending up in the nursing home.

What if Ollie's been kept on Garrett's estate. How long do phaedophiles keep children for?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hi everyone :)

Newbie but have been following this thread from the beginning, loving all the theories!

By the way, can someone clarify for me what most peoples interpretation of the 'queen bee' thing is all about? and how it relates to Sylvie in particular?

I viewed it at the time as Baptiste simply explaining how his wife may have needed winning over when they met? nothing to do with the hotel owner? but sorry if Ive missed something - me and my mum speculate through the whole program like mad and stupidly miss whole parts of speech :D

My theory so far is purely based on the blood in the basement - I said to my mum 'organ traffickers'? and a child ring happening to be exposed by coincidence.....maybe the Garett bloke naturally panicked and thought Bourg or some of his other minions (he obviously has him or maybe others under his control) had made a slip up by taking a child and so fearing exposure of the ring, he naturally starting covering his tracks by offering help to the parents/paying for an alibi etc......but all along hes been taken for a very different reason.

I love that this always leaves more questions at the end of an episode whilst answering some too - like 'The Returned' a brilliant French program shown on Channel 4. 8 weeks also gives time for the plot and character dynamics to change and shift so no one person is the prime suspect but wow 2 months have gone fasttttt

Also sorry to the boys on here but I cant help myself...add me to the Baptiste fanclub :blush: been madly in love since the 1st episode but only because I had a Prof at uni that was the spit of him in personality and looks and now there's a french twin of him i can carry on my obsession :D:blush::D

Welcome:)

I too am glad it's gone on for 8wks. Early on a few posters wanted it done and dusted in four episodes and I never understood their impatience. Like you say 8 weeks has allowed for development and twists and turns and enabled the suspense to build. Can't wait for next episode but at the same time don't want it to end.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kat 68 wrote: »
    The problem I have with the whole stepson thing is that Garrett told Vincent that no one must ever know they had ever met(or words to that effect) If he was his stepson even the most inept police force could discover that connection surely.

I remember him telling Vincent. "...our relationship is over" which made me think at the time that they're related in some way.....or they had a close friendship.