Options

Things that have disappeared from everyday life

Comments

• Options
    bookcoverbookcover Posts: 6,216
    Forum Member
    Just bumping this thread. Can anyone think of things that have disappeared from everyday life over Christmas?

Yep, that silver draping tinsel stuff that went over the tree...caused a ruddy great mess.

Apparently its retro now and costs a bloomin fortune from America of course, >:(:p
  • Options
    cpikey316_cpikey316_ Posts: 1,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    White dog poo
  • Options
    DMN1968DMN1968 Posts: 2,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Leaving babies in their pram outside the shop whilst the shopping was done.

It would be unthinkable these days to leave a baby unattended outside on the pavement for 10 minutes or so.
  • Options
    Fibromite59Fibromite59 Posts: 22,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cpikey316_ wrote: »
    White dog poo

That's been put on this thread time and time again. Why do people seem to have an obsession with it?
  • Options
    Fibromite59Fibromite59 Posts: 22,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DMN1968 wrote: »

It would be unthinkable these days to leave a baby unattended outside on the pavement for 10 minutes or so.

I can remember when you used to see rows of babies outside shops in prams. Some of them crying. It seems an odd thing to do, anything could have happened and it's a wonder some weren't taken off. My mum always used to say that she left me in the pram outside Woolworths one day and then forgot she had me with her. She was nearly all the way home when she suddenly remembered me. She rushed back in a panic and I was still quite happy sitting in the pram. It doesn't bear thinking about.

Apparently another time, she had left me near to a stall selling bulbs and plants and when she came out of the shop, I had been busy filling the pram with tulip bulbs. She hurriedly put them back but had no idea which colours went into which boxes, so some unlucky people would have had bulbs come up in the wrong colour!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    bookcover wrote: »
    Windowlene pink liquid.

Shake and Vac

if its the advert do the shake n vac you can still buy it...Poundland have it anyway..i thought all shops sell it still
  • Options
    Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    Yep, that silver draping tinsel stuff that went over the tree...caused a ruddy great mess.

Apparently its retro now and costs a bloomin fortune from America of course, >:(:p

It's banned for health and safety reasons - it can cause tinselitis :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,234
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nightdresses with yokes on them.

I know you can still buy them - I have two, in traditional style combed cotton with rosebuds on, for coldest winter - but they're an unpopular style now, whereas at one time they were the most usual style.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I remember that, it was normal. My mum used to do it to me, and one day she came out of a shop to find me crying with a horrible little boy pinching me. I came out black and blue in bruises. Mothers were very trusting of other people in those days I think.

Another thing was, leaving your baby outside in the garden in it's pram for half an hour while you did a spot of housework or whatever. I mean in dry weather. Mothers would check on the babies but, no baby monitors in those days and -
  • Options
    cavallicavalli Posts: 18,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's banned for health and safety reasons - it can cause tinselitis :D

:D:D:D

That really made me lol :blush:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RebelScum wrote: »
    Beds made up of a sheet, blanket and a decorative cover (replaced by a single duvet)

And camberwick bedspreads. What was called an eiderdown quilt for winter.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Apparently its retro now and costs a bloomin fortune from America of course, >:(:p[/QU)

Do you mean lametta because you can still get it from my local pound shops?

(I used to think that would be a cute name for a girl when I was growing up - she could be called after a lamb and sparkly tinsel too! :D )
  • Options
    venusinflaresvenusinflares Posts: 4,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just bumping this thread. Can anyone think of things that have disappeared from everyday life over Christmas?

Packs of sheets of Christmas wrapping paper. I looked all over for some but no shops sell it in sheets any more, only rolls. When you're wrapping lots of small gifts, sheets are a lot easier. I found some on Amazon but none in the shops.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    Packs of sheets of Christmas wrapping paper. I looked all over for some but no shops sell it in sheets any more, only rolls. When you're wrapping lots of small gifts, sheets are a lot easier. I found some on Amazon but none in the shops.

do card shops sell them as sheets ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dolls wrote: »
    And camberwick bedspreads. What was called an eiderdown quilt for winter.

You can still get them:-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Bettersleep-Company-Candlewick-Bedspread/dp/B008ZPF45S/ref=pd_sim_sbs_kh_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=13AJSQQ112RMEV3ND2G0

Assuming you meant candlewick? They seem to be still relatively easy to find, Tesco sell them. Maybe they're making a comeback.

We have a proper wool blanket that we throw over the duvet for when it's really cold!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Orangemaid wrote: »
    do card shops sell them as sheets ?

I only tried Card Factory and I asked if they do packs of sheets but they said no, only rolls.
  • Options
    Trudi MonkTrudi Monk Posts: 589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Wilko sell packs of sheets of wrapping paper.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Trudi Monk wrote: »
    Wilko sell packs of sheets of wrapping paper.

Thank you, I'll have a look this week :)
  • Options
    Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can still get them:-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Bettersleep-Company-Candlewick-Bedspread/dp/B008ZPF45S/ref=pd_sim_sbs_kh_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=13AJSQQ112RMEV3ND2G0

Assuming you meant candlewick? They seem to be still relatively easy to find, Tesco sell them. Maybe they're making a comeback.

We have a proper wool blanket that we throw over the duvet for when it's really cold!

I presume the other poster's got mixed up with a certain kids' programme set not far from Trumpton! Actually I didn't know candlewick was a type of fabric as well as the bit you lit on a candle. You learn something new every other day (I'm a slow learner...).

And, just to confuse things further...

Candlewick Green, Who Do You Think You Are
  • Options
    jules1000jules1000 Posts: 10,709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Vesta Chow Mein I loved them with the crispy noodles and soy sauce.

Midnight mint choc ices.
    Mint cracknell bars.
    All yummy and gone.
  • Options
    Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    jules1000 wrote: »

Midnight mint choc ices.
    Mint cracknell bars.
    All yummy and gone.

Ah Vesta - my first introduction to foreign food. Mint cracknell was like eating needles, I always seemed to get them stuck in my tongue or the roof of my mouth.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jules1000 wrote: »

Midnight mint choc ices.
    Mint cracknell bars.
    All yummy and gone.

Vesta chow mein is still available!

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=257550162
  • Options
    LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member

Still normal to do this in many countries where hysteria is less common than it is in the UK. Very popular in Finland, for example, where it's perfectly normal to leave babies outside in their prams sub-zero temperatures to have a nap while the parents are inside coffee shops (or just shopping).
  • Options
    jules1000jules1000 Posts: 10,709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Well thanks for that whenever or wherever I go shopping I can never find it.
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lyricalis wrote: »
    Still normal to do this in many countries where hysteria is less common than it is in the UK. Very popular in Finland, for example, where it's perfectly normal to leave babies outside in their prams sub-zero temperatures to have a nap while the parents are inside coffee shops (or just shopping).

It would probably still be O.K. to do it today, but we have become paranoid about letting children out on their own.