Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 62)

Comments

• Options
    iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zac Quinn wrote: »
    The Impressions Show, which he used to do with Debra Stephenson, was fantastic IMO, but the ratings disagreed.

I was sure there was going to be another series of TIS but it never showed up.
  • Options
    F1KenF1Ken Posts: 4,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have to say I thought Bruces hall of fame was a great show. Call me an old fart but I thought that was a proper bit of saturday night telly, great stuff.
  • Options
    Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yorkie100 wrote: »
    Culshaw is very good with his impression but the problem was they were always tring to make him up to look like the celebs and it never worked. Doing a straight piece to camera like Yarwood did would be fine but could you get a show out of that?

The scripting on these impression shows were always the issue, it's one thing doing the impression, but then they have to script some daft scenario for the impression to be done in, and they were always a bit rubbish. You can't just walk on and do the impression.

--

I wonder how Live at the Apollo will do tonight, will it do as poorly as normal, or will the festive season cause it to rate much better?
  • Options
    yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member
    xeo wrote: »
    Nice choices. I agree with most of them, especially the one quoted. I think ITV will struggle without Dancing on Ice in Q1. They had no choice but to axe it, but as low-rating as it was in its last years there's little I believe will do better for them next year, apart from maybe Stars in Their Eyes which is more of a replacement for Splash anyway.

I thought it was more Torvill and Dean wanted out and without them there was no show.
  • Options
    Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very strange programme on BBC1 at the moment. Half an hour of outtakes from Not Going Out.

Normally these outtakes would appear as a DVD extra or as part of a general outtakes show, not in a show of its own, and it's odd out of all the shows it is NGO that has got this treatment.

Knowing how ratings work these days, I bet the outtakes get higher ratings than half the episodes!
  • Options
    Shazla09Shazla09 Posts: 29,343
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andy23 wrote: »
    Very strange programme on BBC1 at the moment. Half an hour of outtakes from Not Going Out.

Normally these outtakes would appear as a DVD extra or as part of a general outtakes show, not in a show of its own, and it's odd out of all the shows it is NGO that has got this treatment.

Knowing how ratings work these days, I bet the outtakes get higher ratings than half the episodes!

You said it Andy. I just switched off the regular episode as I only wanted to watch the outtakes.
  • Options
    Forum Member

I am sure we have seen outtakes from other shows before now but I cant honestly remember.
  • Options
    xeoxeo Posts: 6,429
    Forum Member
    I thought it was more Torvill and Dean wanted out and without them there was no show.

That's what was said, but I think it was more of a mutual decision to be honest. It can't have been a cheap show to make for ITV.
  • Options
    dan2008dan2008 Posts: 37,287
    Forum Member
    EastEnders 30th Birthday News
    Ian and Jane to get married in the LIVE episode
  • Options
    ScoreScore Posts: 17,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cestrian18 wrote: »
    Watching the Darcy Oake show on ITV and he has a lot of potential to build a series out of this- Maybe not in this format, but he's charismatic and a very accomplished magician so it would be a shame to waste him (Now watch this tank like the other BGT specials)

I agree, I thought it was pretty good. A pity one of his tricks wasn't to make Christine Bleakley disappear though! :p

I was quite impressed though. I suspect it will have done very badly though. It's had no promotion at all from what I can see and was on too late for what it was. A pity as there's potential there.
  • Options
    XIVXIV Posts: 21,604
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The scripting on these impression shows were always the issue, it's one thing doing the impression, but then they have to script some daft scenario for the impression to be done in, and they were always a bit rubbish. You can't just walk on and do the impression.

--

I wonder how Live at the Apollo will do tonight, will it do as poorly as normal, or will the festive season cause it to rate much better?

Dead Ringers on radio and TV gets it right just by spoofing the programmes themselves. Same with Spitting Image although that was more satire than merely impressions. French and Saunders and Lenny Henry used to mix original sketches with their impressions of celebrities and that seemed to be the right balance.

It'll be interesting what new shows will be successful in 2015. I think BBC Two has a hit on their hands with Wolf Hall although I've yet to see any promos yet but I imagine they'll be coming soon,
  • Options
    Sweaty Job RotSweaty Job Rot Posts: 2,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cylon6 wrote: »
    Going into Christmas Day I thought that BBC1 schedule was decent but viewers didn't bother and even less bothered with ITV. Nobody saw that coming.

I'd go as far to say the excuse of 'watching via tablets ect' is exactly that an excuse, we'll all know soap fans with catchup services will watch their shows again and again and while I don't doubt there are folk who do watch shows for the first time via mobile, tablet ect it's not in any great numbers.

I believe it's fair to say a lot of people now have no interest in being a slave to tv, it's quite telling when the soaps in general are now getting a third of what they did 15/20 years ago, a lot of folk have broken the habit.

And last nights lineup from all sides was nothing short of a disgrace, no way should that vile Forsyth thing ever had an airing, I hope it's ratings reflect what a steaming pile of excrement it was.
  • Options
    jlp95bwfcjlp95bwfc Posts: 18,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dan2008 wrote: »
    EastEnders 30th Birthday News
    Ian and Jane to get married in the LIVE episode

Major Corrie spoiler:
    Sally Webster to buy a new sofa from the DFS sale
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am sure we have seen outtakes from other shows before now but I cant honestly remember.

My Family used to show out-takes at the end; in MBBs of course they leave the out-takes in:D
  • Options
    lewiep93lewiep93 Posts: 5,880
    Forum Member

@TVRatingsUK: The #TopGear Patagonia special won its slot with 4.70m/20.7%. Against it, #BrucesHallOfFame on BBC1 drew 3.85m/17.0%.
  • Options
    D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    15:10 - FILM: How to Train Your Dragon: 2.01m (15.4%)
    16:40 - FILM: Kung Fu Panda 2: 2.83m (17.0%)
    18:00 - BBC News: 4.98m (26.2%)
    18:10 - BBC Regional News: 5.56m (28.8%)
    18:20 - Celebrity Mastermind: 4.19m (21.3%)
    18:50 - Pointless Celebrities: 5.04m (24.1%)
    19:40 - Lottery: 4.00m (19.2%)
    20:30 - Bruce's Hall of Fame: 3.85m (17.0%)
    21:40 - Mrs Brown's Boys: 4.45m (21.5%)
    22:15 - BBC News: 4.35m (22.6%)
    22:35 - Live at the Apollo: 2.48m (15.1%)
    23:05 - Not Going Outtakes: 2.04m (16.2%)
  • Options
    MarkynottsMarkynotts Posts: 5,255
    Forum Member
    lewiep93 wrote: »

@TVRatingsUK: The #TopGear Patagonia special won its slot with 4.70m/20.7%. Against it, #BrucesHallOfFame on BBC1 drew 3.85m/17.0%.

A little lower for Top Gear than I thought that it would get. I guess the one everyone is going to watch is tonight.

Last night we watched the absolutely wonderful Roald Dahl’s Esio Trot. If that doesn't get some good ratings for BBC One - then ...... well ...... there is not much hope left.

We will watch both of the Top Gear episodes tonight.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    @TVRatingsUK: ITV's most watched was #HarryPotterandtheDeathlyHallows with 3.44m/15.9%. #YouSawThemHereFirst pulled in 2.07m/10.5%.

@TVRatingsUK: A repeat of the #MrsBrownsBoys Christmas special averaged 4.45m/21.5%. 7.6m had already watched on Christmas Day.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A very flat night all round. Wonder how badly Darcy Oake did...
  • Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Markynotts wrote: »
    A little lower for Top Gear than I thought that it would get. I guess the one everyone is going to watch is tonight.

Last night we watched the absolutely wonderful Roald Dahl’s Esio Trot. If that doesn't get some good ratings for BBC One - then ...... well ...... there is not much hope left.

You watched Esio Trot? Did you have a preview copy?

Top Gear did well considering the promotion was rubbish.
  • Options
    lewiep93lewiep93 Posts: 5,880
    Forum Member
    Markynotts wrote: »

So jealous! I'm taking you had preview copies of it? It looks absolutely wonderful and I can't wait to see it.

Ha cylon asked the same thing :p
  • Options
    MarkynottsMarkynotts Posts: 5,255
    Forum Member
    cylon6 wrote: »
    You watched Esio Trot? Did you have a preview copy?

Top Gear did well considering the promotion was rubbish.

Yes it was a preview

I don't understand the BBC at times with their promos. They just seem to lack any sense of planning and thought. With Eastenders they threw together some very good promos but just for online viewing. People need to see them on TV at the junctions of some of their most popular programming.
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Variations from BBC1 network today:

Scotland

1800-1900 When the Games Came to Glasgow
    1900-1930 Celebrity Mastermind
    2000-2100 Countryfile
  • Options
    RobbieSykes123RobbieSykes123 Posts: 14,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    An utterly predictable flop for Brucie. As I predicted a month ago.

Very strong for MBB. Wonder how many people saw it before xmas day in their guides and planned to watch last night instead? Note that all timeshift of the Xmas day showing after 1010 last night will now get added to this 4.45m, stupidly, so the Saturday repeat could end up with 6.5m+ in the inaccurate and credibility lacking BARB officials.

Ok for TG in the circumstances of botched scheduling and botched promotion.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    So Brucie flops in what was apparently a very well produced and entertaining show as did Sunday night at the Palladium. I fear we are not going to see many more attempts at this kind of thing now.
    We keep being told people want something different but whenever its tried it flops along with all the other so called 'unimaginitive' programming.
This discussion has been closed.