Options

EU says UK's railways must become metric.

Comments

• Options
    malpascmalpasc Posts: 9,660
    Forum Member
    mike65 wrote: »
    True but we still think imperial for the most part, i guess in 20-30 years we'll be metric in the mind as well as body.

I'm 36 and was taught everything in metric. Imperial makes no sense to me personally. How many years of excuses are we going to give? Surely pretty much every generation younger than me have been taught in metric?

If we keep holding back it'll never happen. Like pulling a plaster we should just go for it!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder why the Express are dragging up old news. Here is an article from Railnews from 2013.

http://www.railnews.co.uk/news/2013/10/01-end-of-the-line-for.html
  • Options
    jackthomjackthom Posts: 6,644
    Forum Member
    Andrue wrote: »
    One option that would save a bit of money and please the 'safety first' brigade would be to announce that from midnight all speed signs are now referring to kph instead of mph. Hey presto! Overnight you get a roughly 20% reduction in speed limits throughout built up areas ;)

Good idea but (enters picky mode) wouldn't it be nearer to a 37% reduction? :)
  • Options
    newyorkcitygirlnewyorkcitygirl Posts: 558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The EU won't dictate to me. If I want to measure things in miles/inches/stones etc.. I will. There's plenty of conversion apps etc.. on mobile phones to work things out in metric or visa versa.
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    malpasc wrote: »
    I'm 36 and was taught everything in metric. Imperial makes no sense to me personally. How many years of excuses are we going to give? Surely pretty much every generation younger than me have been taught in metric?

If we keep holding back it'll never happen. Like pulling a plaster we should just go for it!

So you travel in kmph not miles per hour and talk of travel distances in kilometres ?

If lots of EU countries suddenly took to standing outside their front doors on a Wednesday at 2pm naked apart from a pink tutu bottom and a feather duster would that be good enough reason for us to ? We don't have to do everything the EU does and what we have now works just fine.

Personally I would say the EU has bigger problems than whether we use KMPH or MPH
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    skp20040 wrote: »
    So you travel in kmph not miles per hour and talk of travel distances in kilometres ?
    To be fair though how many people could pace off either as a distance or point to an object that was a kilometre or a mile away? I should also come clean and say that I also use yards because I play golf. But then I tend to think of a yard as being a metre and the way I play it's not a significant difference :D
  • Options
    SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dan Sette wrote: »
    Or go the whole hog and revert to imperial.

Except metric makes much more denominational sense than imperial.
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    They'll be ordering us to change the side of road we drive on next, 'kin busy bodies..
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They'll be ordering us to change the side of road we drive on next, 'kin busy bodies..

Not sure they would go that route, the precedent being that most countries in Europe drove (rode) on the left until Napoleon changed it as he was left handed
  • Options
    alfamalealfamale Posts: 10,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As The Express manage to fit "ban" and "EU" into another inconsequential story missing some important facts it reminded me that Richard Desmond and the Express will be backing UKIP in GE 2015. I think?

No Eurostar train crashes yet, so it cant be that dangerous
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    Will end up with the same issues I have had in Ireland

Came off the ferry 100mph speed limit cool.

Got to Wexford rather quickly.

Then found out km/h

Will end up with HST drivers moaning they can't quite get to 150 in a 200 limit

HST is InterCity 125
  • Options
    VulpesVulpes Posts: 1,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    malpasc wrote: »
    Surely pretty much every generation younger than me have been taught in metric

I'm 22 and was taught everything in imperial, so I guess not.
  • Options
    trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    wear thefoxhatwear thefoxhat Posts: 3,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the British public still very much use the imperial system and no doubt will for some time to come, a DS poster has just titled their thread "three feet of snow forcast", I mean would anyone really say "90 cm of snow forcast", who honestly gives their height in cms when asked?
  • Options
    SkycladSkyclad Posts: 3,946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Excellent - we should do all road signs at the same time too.
  • Options
    spkxspkx Posts: 14,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Interesting fact: A lot of road signs are already placed at metric distances, even if the text on them is in imperial units.

E.g. http://www.metric.org.uk/sites/default/files/images/TSM_200m_marks.jpg
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the British public still very much use the imperial system and no doubt will for some time to come, a DS poster has just titled their thread "three feet of snow forcast", I mean would anyone really say "90 cm of snow forcast", who honestly gives their height in cms when asked?
    I'd use millimetres for snow, metres for my height and kilogrammes for my weight.

I honestly don't know what my height or weight is in traditional UK units. I could take a guess at my weight in pounds by assuming 1kg = 2 pounds but no idea how to get to stones without looking it up. Converting 1.81 metres to feet and inches is way more work than I could be bothered with. A metre is about 3 feet but 'a bit less than 6 ft' is as close as I could be bothered to come up with.
  • Options
    ba_baracusba_baracus Posts: 3,237
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vulpes wrote: »

Aren't you going to tell us how you managed that?
  • Options
    wear thefoxhatwear thefoxhat Posts: 3,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andrue wrote: »
    I'd use millimetres for snow, metres for my height and kilogrammes for my weight.

I honestly don't know what my height or weight is in traditional UK units. I could take a guess at my weight in pounds by assuming 1kg = 2 pounds but no idea how to get to stones without looking it up. But converting 1.81 metres to feet and inches is more work than I could be bothered with. A metre is about 3 feet but 'a bit less than 6 ft' is as close as I could be bothered to come up with.

Are you French?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ba_baracus wrote: »
    Aren't you going to tell us how you managed that?

Sorry, what?
  • Options
    ba_baracusba_baracus Posts: 3,237
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry, what?

How you managed to become educated solely in the imperial system, despite being only 22.
  • Options
    jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    we're a bloody island
    START ACTING LIKE AN ISLAND

and what's the point of this anyway, we have no real connection with european railway system, other than the eurotunnel!
  • Options
    BanglaRoadBanglaRoad Posts: 57,681
    Forum Member

Where did you go to school? I am 40 and we were taught in metric with just a nod to imperial measurements as they were still used a lot at the time.
    I went to school in Scotland so perhaps the system is different to other parts of the country
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ba_baracus wrote: »
    How you managed to become educated solely in the imperial system, despite being only 22.

The schools I attended only taught us using the imperial system. Nothing more to it than that.
  • Options
    howardlhowardl Posts: 5,120
    Forum Member
    They also want us to start driving on the left, lorries to begin with then cars a few weeks later.