Options

Campaign to bring Waitrose to Aberdeen

Comments

• Options
    fhs man 2fhs man 2 Posts: 7,591
    Forum Member
    I'm not. I want one in Inverness first. I have a £1 bet with my husband that there will be one here at some point. It's been 17 years since we made that bet so it had better come good soon! They may as well build a John Lewis at the same time. And a Hotel Chocolat. And everyone I know wants Paperchase back (used to be based in Borders).

There was going to be a Borders in Aberdeen but they went bust during the building of their 3 floor unit. There is a John Lewis, Hotel Chocolat and a Paperchase in Aberdeen.
  • Options
    RadiogramRadiogram Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fhs man 2 wrote: »

The people of Cults/Culter currently shop at Sainsbury's Garthdee and M&S in Westhill. .

You know that for a fact do you? You must have asked them all I presume?

Westhill is quite wealthy too infact west of Aberdeen out towards Balmoral (where the queen has a home) is quite scenic and wealthy. I guess that's why they call it The Royal Deeside. I think they might travel to the Waitrose too if it opened.

Westhill wealthy? Really? It's just a typical suburb. Nothing special and certainly not rich land.

Good luck with your "campaign" though. I am sure the JLP will be watching this thread with interest.:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 129
    Forum Member
    There was going to be a Borders in Aberdeen but they went bust during the building of their 3 floor unit. There is a John Lewis, Hotel Chocolat and a Paperchase in Aberdeen.

I know, buts it's a long way to just pop in.
  • Options
    JulesandSandJulesandSand Posts: 6,012
    Forum Member
    woodbush wrote: »
    Used to do our weekly shop in the one in Rosyth.

I've never been in a Waitrose or M&S food supermarket.

My uncle was the manager of that store from the day it opened - it was their flagship store IIRC.

I wonder what's there now.

EDIT - According to street view it's a Tesco Metro.

We've a Waitrose in Stirling it's handy to buy something from John Lewis online and pick it up from there.
  • Options
    RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Radiogram wrote: »
    Westhill wealthy? Really? It's just a typical suburb. Nothing special and certainly not rich land.

Yes, Westhill is wealthy.
  • Options
    PictoPicto Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aberdeen has been awarded this years Plook on a Plinth award as being the most dismal town in Scotland.

http://www.scotlandnow.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/most-dismal-town-scotland-aberdeen-5096149

I have to say that I don't know if this award is merited because I have never visited Aberdeen. Perhaps FM's with more knowledge of Aberdeen could comment?
  • Options
    steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I take it you would be the one who closed the door to heaven once you got up there so that no-one else could get in. Not surprisingly South Yorkshire has Waitrose.

Why do you have to be a snob and ask for Waitrose to make Aberdeen complete, if it was viable they would be there.

There's no Waitrose here maybe in Sheffield but they do not like Yorkshire & The North East and Wales by the looks of it.
    http://www.kevinlaurence.net/googlemaps/waitrose.html
    You think they will open a store just for Aberdeen imagine how long it would take to get the stock to you with no other stores anywhere near it is a non starter.
  • Options
    trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think oil at $50 a barrel may not entice Waitrose to Aberdeen ;-)
  • Options
    KidMoeKidMoe Posts: 5,851
    Forum Member
    RebelScum wrote: »
    Yes, Westhill is wealthy.

OT, but by christ I hate Westhill. Street after street of identikit houses with no charm or character at all.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Meh... Waitrose is not all it's cracked up to be. Half the filling was missing from the coffee and walnut cake I bought there on Saturday. >:(
  • Options
    TYCOTYCO Posts: 5,891
    Forum Member
    Why don't you try using fresh ingredients and preparing your own food rather than buying everything pristinely pre packaged in plastic?

Think you're upmarket and yet you buy everything pre prepared containing god only knows what. More money than sense if you ask me.
  • Options
    FrankieFixerFrankieFixer Posts: 11,530
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That was before the 1970's. Since then Aberdeen has become more cosmopolitan. Butternut Squash is one of the best selling items in the supermarket where I work.

Dundee has went the other way though.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-31095837
  • Options
    FrankieFixerFrankieFixer Posts: 11,530
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Picto wrote: »
    Aberdeen has been awarded this years Plook on a Plinth award as being the most dismal town in Scotland.

http://www.scotlandnow.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/most-dismal-town-scotland-aberdeen-5096149

I have to say that I don't know if this award is merited because I have never visited Aberdeen. Perhaps FM's with more knowledge of Aberdeen could comment?

It is indeed a worthy winner.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    TYCO wrote: »
    Why don't you try using fresh ingredients and preparing your own food rather than buying everything pristinely pre packaged in plastic?

Think you're upmarket and yet you buy everything pre prepared containing god only knows what. More money than sense if you ask me.

I live in a council house, what is upmarket about that?

There was someone who called me a "snob" earlier. Wonder if they know a lot of snobs who shop at Lidl.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I live in a council house, what is upmarket about that?

There was someone who called me a "snob" earlier. Wonder if they know a lot of snobs who shop at Lidl.

Why do you want a waitrose? Are the supermarkets Aberdeen has not good enough?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It is indeed a worthy winner.

Who cares what a MAGAZINE thinks, I could award Cumbernauld with the same award tomorrow and it would still have the same merit.

If you believe this magazine and it's award then I guess your one of those people who believes everything written in the tabloids.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    steveh31 wrote: »
    Why do you want a waitrose? Are the supermarkets Aberdeen has not good enough?

John Lewis Partnership have confirmed that they do plan to open in Aberdeen once they have opened at depot in Northern Scotland this would serve Aberdeen and Dundee etc. It's not a question of why, it's a question of when.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    John Lewis Partnership have confirmed that they do plan to open in Aberdeen once they have opened at depot in Northern Scotland this would serve Aberdeen and Dundee etc. It's not a question of why, it's a question of when.

You still haven't answered why, so John Lewis has opened why does that mean Waitrose has to follow suit why are you so desperate to have Waitrose in Aberdeen?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Why do you have to be a snob and ask for Waitrose to make Aberdeen complete, if it was viable they would be there.

There's no Waitrose here maybe in Sheffield but they do not like Yorkshire & The North East and Wales by the looks of it.
    http://www.kevinlaurence.net/googlemaps/waitrose.html
    You think they will open a store just for Aberdeen imagine how long it would take to get the stock to you with no other stores anywhere near it is a non starter.

OK, I guess your one of those SIMPLE people so I will s-l-o-w this down so that you can understand this. The Waitrose would be served by a depot in Northern Scotland and this would not only serve an Aberdeen store but more in the surrounding area and Dundee, Perth and Fife etc.

Read it slowly you might understand it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You still haven't answered why, so John Lewis has opened why does that mean Waitrose has to follow suit why are you so desperate to have Waitrose in Aberdeen?

John Lewis opened 26 years ago, There is a delivery service to Aberdeen on select delivery slots and this does big business. There is also alot of wealthy people here and lots of them get food from M&S.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OK, I guess your one of those SIMPLE people so I will s-l-o-w this down so that you can understand this. The Waitrose would be served by a depot in Northern Scotland and this would not only serve an Aberdeen store but more in the surrounding area and Dundee, Perth and Fife etc.

Read it slowly you might understand it.
    Resorting to abuse to avoid the question let me try again for you s-l-o-w-l-y
    WHY DO YOU WANT WAITROSE SO BADLY?
    Are the wealthy not capable of shopping in the same shops as the poorer are you saying if you are rihj you only shop in Waitrose:confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Resorting to abuse to avoid the question let me try again for you s-l-o-w-l-y
    WHY DO YOU WANT WAITROSE SO BADLY?

You started the abuse by called me a "Snob" that really is the equivalent of spitting on someone where I am from. I would rather you called me a C*** but not decided for far worse.

I have already explained my reasons and I cannot be bothered going on and on when your clearly trolling or just don't understand.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    John Lewis opened 26 years ago, There is a delivery service to Aberdeen on select delivery slots and this does big business. There is also alot of wealthy people here and lots of them get food from M&S.

So are you saying the wealthy will only shop in M&S and need Waitrose as an alternative? :confused:

Waitrose sells the same products as everybody else, Heinz, Cadbury whatever just they charge idiots more who think it is better when it comes from the same factories.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You started the abuse by called me a "Snob" that really is the equivalent of spitting on someone where I am from. I would rather you called me a C*** but not decided for far worse.

I have already explained my reasons and I cannot be bothered going on and on when your clearly trolling or just don't understand.

I don't troll (another reason to get out of answering) and "I can't be bothered" which is you don't know why you want Waitrose you just like the name and think it will somehow make Aberdeen attractive to wealthy people.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    So are you saying the wealthy will only shop in M&S and need Waitrose as an alternative? :confused:

Waitrose sells the same products as everybody else, Heinz, Cadbury whatever just they charge idiots more who think it is better when it comes from the same factories.

Waitrose products are superior, calling people "idiots" because they enjoy the finer things in life is just ignorant. It's like trying to explain to a chav why a restaurant is better than a McDonalds.