Options

Rylan's rectangle

Comments

• Options
    MenkMenk Posts: 13,831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's not really an example of not knowing the difference. It's more of a working class thing to substitute "was" for "were".

Absolutely. People learn how to speak from their parents and those around them - Rylan's speech is not an affectation, it's just the way he speaks.

It must be awful for nice people to be subjected to his poor grammar on their telly box.

This type of thread is very common on here - people trying to dress their snobbiness up as superior intelligence.
  • Options
    lulu glulu g Posts: 52,659
    Forum Member
    calamity wrote: »
    When I read the titlle I thought it was about Rylans teeth..
    I still have no idea what it's about.
  • Options
    Fairy WingsFairy Wings Posts: 5,680
    Forum Member
    I'm offending myself by starting a thread at this hour of the night, but in the midst of the justifiable criticism of the moronic behaviour of Kav, kim, Chloe et al, I feel something was missed. Rylan revelled in a little segue entitled 'rylan's shapes', He led and smirked at a segment introducing the concept of a rectangle, and my blood boiled.

Alicia, the one housemate who handled herself extraordinarily well, was ridiculed without leave to reply; and by whom? The halfwit who will never, ever, ever know the difference between was and were.

'So you was accused of Being' WERE, YOU HALFWIT
    What a poor, cheap dig at Rylan. We all know (or should do by now) that the show is scripted. They have earpieces and autocue.

Rylan didn't magic up a picture of a rectangle.

Your annoyance should be directed at the producers not the messenger.
    Nope. He doesn't have to do the job, does he? For that matter, should someone who is only vaguely articulate really be presenting a TV show?

In the first paragraph of original your post you stated that your 'blood boiled' at the rectangle reference & blamed Rylan, when in fact he was following a script. Your boiling blood should be directed at the producers.

Your only response to this is that he doesn't have to do the job..... & he said 'was instead of were' and called him a halfwit for doing so? Tut.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Btw it's not Rylan's rectangle. ;-)
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Before chucking around the snob comments have to just point out I am an office cleaner living in part council flat and wanting my kids to speak and spell properly I don't see it as snobbish but more as wishing they may not end up cleaning toilets and offices for their entire lives.

So believe we are all snobs if you wish I can't stop you but please don't do things to keep our kids from learning to spell etc as it might just be what gets them out of here.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    molliepops wrote: »
    Before chucking around the snob comments have to just point out I am an office cleaner living in part council flat and wanting my kids to speak and spell properly I don't see it as snobbish but more as wishing they may not end up cleaning toilets and offices for their entire lives.

So believe we are all snobs if you wish I can't stop you but please don't do things to keep our kids from learning to spell etc as it might just be what gets them out of here.

I find this post a little muddled, as when I mentioned snobbiness I was referring to the way people speak (not spell) and how it is not a sign of being a halfwit.

If you feel that your kids will be prejudged on the way that they speak, and will not rise above menial jobs because of it, then you should be against the snobbiness of the attitudes which may hold them back. And by all means correct their grammar, but don't support the blinkered view of the snobs!

Not that I agree that this attitude prevails - even the likes of Rylan can get a job on the telly despite him speaking in the same way he always has done. People like him and he is good at his job!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Menk wrote: »
    I find this post a little muddled, as when I mentioned snobbiness I was referring to the way people speak (not spell) and how it is not a sign of being a halfwit.

If you feel that your kids will be prejudged on the way that they speak, and will not rise above menial jobs because of it, then you should be against the snobbiness of the attitudes which may hold them back. And by all means correct their grammar, but don't support the blinkered view of the snobs!

Not that I agree that this attitude prevails - even the likes of Rylan can get a job on the telly despite him speaking in the same way he always has done. People like him and he is good at his job!

I have taught them to speak a good standard of received pronunciation and they are doing very well when compared with their peers how we speak does matter and I don't think it snobbish to want our children and their influences to do so. I love an accent but that is not what we are talking about Rylan just speaks lazily really.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have taught them to speak a good standard of received pronunciation and they are doing very well when compared with their peers how we speak does matter and I don't think it snobbish to want our children and their influences to do so. I love an accent but that is not what we are talking about Rylan just speaks lazily really.

Not so - he speaks in the same way that those around him did when he was growing up, just like he vast majority of us do. It's not lazy, it's normal to do this.
  • Options
    patsylimerickpatsylimerick Posts: 22,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In the first paragraph of original your post you stated that your 'blood boiled' at the rectangle reference & blamed Rylan, when in fact he was following a script. Your boiling blood should be directed at the producers.

Your only response to this is that he doesn't have to do the job..... & he said 'was instead of were' and called him a halfwit for doing so? Tut.

Does 'tut' have some counter-argument encoded in it? What made my blood boil was the sight of a presenter - who doesn't have a grasp of basic grammar himself (not the producers; himself) - making a mean, nasty and unfunny dig at someone else's learning difficulties.
  • Options
    SubtronixSubtronix Posts: 150
    Forum Member
    Would love C5 to lose BB in a few years, he'd be unemployable. Unless you could make a living out of looking like a horse.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Subtronix wrote: »
    Would love C5 to lose BB in a few years, he'd be unemployable. Unless you could make a living out of looking like a horse.

Indeed I agree I cannot imagine him being too employable elsewhere.
  • Options
    anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rylan was bullying her? Oh come on!

Mocking anyone's learning difficulties is bullying whether they're dyslexic, as Alicia is, or not. Most of us learned that in primary school.
  • Options
    boshealectaboshealecta Posts: 1,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was a joke. Unfortunately because of the spirit of the house and housemates, it didnt come across like that. It felt a bit like "ginger watch" on BBLB in its teasing
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Does 'tut' have some counter-argument encoded in it? What made my blood boil was the sight of a presenter - who doesn't have a grasp of basic grammar himself (not the producers; himself) - making a mean, nasty and unfunny dig at someone else's learning difficulties.

You may take my tut any which way you choose to, or, give it a nasty spin, or to detract, feel free :)

So, your 'blood boiled' because someone said 'was instead of were' & was instructed, by the producers, to show a rectangle as 'shape of the day'. Ok.........
  • Options
    planetsplanets Posts: 47,784
    Forum Member
    You may take my tut any which way you choose to, or, give it a nasty spin, or to detract, feel free :)

So, your 'blood boiled' because someone said 'was instead of were' & was instructed, by the producers, to show a rectangle as 'shape of the day'. Ok.........

you seem to be deliberately misreading patsy's posts.

what patsy has repeatedly said she is upset about is Rylan ridiculing Alicia for being "thick". The fact that he is no shining intellect as witnessed by his basic ineptitude in using the word "was" correctly, highlights the irony of someone getting on their high horse to ridicule someone else for being "thick".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    anne_666 wrote: »
    Mocking anyone's learning difficulties is bullying whether they're dyslexic, as Alicia is, or not. Most of us learned that in primary school.

Don't be daft.

Most of us know the difference between a bit of light ribbing and bullying.

Her learning abilities were not being mocked - but the sentence 'I'm learning my shapes' sounds funny and the piss was mildly taken.

I don't even see how learning difficulties comes into it - it was either a gap in her learning or a lack of retention, things which most of us are susceptible to with or without learning difficulties.

I'm sure Alicia is big and ugly enough to take a little gentle joshing - and smart enough to know the difference between that and bullying!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    planets wrote: »
    you seem to be deliberately misreading patsy's posts.

what patsy has repeatedly said she is upset about is Rylan ridiculing Alicia for being "thick". The fact that he is no shining intellect as witnessed by his basic ineptitude in using the word "was" correctly, highlights the irony of someone getting on their high horse to ridicule someone else for being "thick".

But there are two problems with that:

1/ Rylan was not ridiculing Alicia for being thick.

2/ Rylan's speech is not proof of anything where intellect is concerned.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't be daft.

Her learning abilities were not being mocked - but the sentence 'I'm learning my shapes' sounds funny and the piss was mildly taken.

I don't even see how learning difficulties comes into it - it was either a gap in her learning or a lack of retention, things which most of us are susceptible to with or without learning difficulties.

I'm sure Alicia is big and ugly enough to take a little gentle joshing - and smart enough to know the difference between that and bullying!

I am far from daft, thank you.
    I think you will find Alicia is well able to distinguish what is bullying and what isn't. Attempting to dress it up doesn't alter the fact. She was bullied in the house by KH and gang about her learning difficulties and every time she's appeared on BOTS.
  • Options
    planetsplanets Posts: 47,784
    Forum Member
    But there are two problems with that:

1/ Rylan was not ridiculing Alicia for being thick.

2/ Rylan's speech is not proof of anything where intellect is concerned.

Menk, i didn't see the segment i am translating Patsy's posts for someone who is getting the wrong end of the stick.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 133
    Forum Member
    I feel sorry for Alicia if people re watched the clip I'm sure she was saying she had to learn pentagons octagons etc I really don't think she didn't know squares and rectangles
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't be daft.

You cannot gently josh with someone when they have been on the end of the bullying atmosphere this year in the house, you can only do that with people who are friends and know you mean no harm, people you love. Done by someone who has championed the bullies and has shown no liking for you it just adds to the bullying.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    planets wrote: »
    Menk, i didn't see the segment i am translating Patsy's posts for someone who is getting the wrong end of the stick.

http://www.channel5.com/shows/celebrity-big-brothers-bit-on-the-side/episodes/episode-23-164

19 minutes in. Very uncomfortable for her as you will see.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You cannot gently josh with someone when they have been on the end of the bullying atmosphere this year in the house, you can only do that with people who are friends and know you mean no harm, people you love. Done by someone who has championed the bullies and has shown no liking for you it just adds to the bullying.

Rylan meant no harm.

In fact that is totally irrelevant as it wasn't Rylan's choice.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rylan meant no harm.

In fact that is totally irrelevant as it wasn't Rylan's choice.

You can mean no harm and still hurt someone and he has along with rest of the people surrounding the show been part of the bullying this year a complete disgrace of a show IMO
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can somebody tell me how that Shape of the Day rectangle relates to Alicia please?
    Maybe I'm thick too but I don't understand the connection.