Options

Jeremy Clarkson

Comments

• Options
    Isambard BrunelIsambard Brunel Posts: 6,598
    Forum Member
    I expect Top Gear will stagger on until foreign broadcasters lose interest in buying it.

I was surprised to learn that Top Gear Australia had been cancelled and the US version seems also to be an ex-parrot.

And ratings are down in China, Russia and other places for the UK show. I think the writing was on the wall for the existing format and they've decided to change it before it becomes a shadow of its former self and stops making money all together.

But I think the new show will be much less of an international effort and be aimed squarely at the domestic audience.
    Talbert wrote: »
    Your basically describing Fifth Gear
    Yes, that's exactly it! I expect Top Gear to become a second-rate clone of Top Gear...
  • Options
    MassiveDynamicsMassiveDynamics Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gok Wan, Jo Brand & Russell Brand.

So no cars in it then :)
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The chances of the show working with new presenters is slim.

Even changing just one person will change the dynamic so it just won't work.

Maybe the BBC will try it anyway, nothing to lose after all.
  • Options
    TalbertTalbert Posts: 1,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The fact remains Clarkson made this programme into the £65million franchise that it is not the BBC.

Overseas broadcasters are surely not going to be happy without Jeremy on board
  • Options
    Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    The BBC new line up will be

Lenny Henry
    Claire Balding
    Chris Addison
  • Options
    Zac QuinnZac Quinn Posts: 5,172
    Forum Member
    Yes it's worth £65m quid but there's 1,000,000 odd pissed off Internet folk that won't tun into a watered down version of a once great show.

So what?. Even in the unlikely event that the majority of those 1m+ actually watch the show, there are still at least 4m regular viewers who haven't signed it.

Also, this whole affair has given Top Gear much more publicity than even the Argentina fiasco managed, so a large proportion of any viewers lost will be replaced (at least initially).
  • Options
    mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zac Quinn wrote: »
    So what?. Even in the unlikely event that the majority of those 1m+ actually watch the show, there are still at least 4m regular viewers who haven't signed it.

I'd be willing to bet that a substantial number of the petition-signers don't actually pay towards the production of Top Gear anyway.

How many of these users torrent the episodes or use a dodgy UK VPN to watch from iPlayer, I wonder? (while not paying for whatever foreign channel carries the programme, or not paying for a TV licence in the UK)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The BBC will have made a rod for their own back as well now. Fisticuffs behind the scenes between the 'talent' and production staff is not unknown and if anything comes to light in the future will the BBC do the same?
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    moox wrote: »
    They f**ked up by possibly firing someone/not renewing their contract, because that person allegedly assaulted someone while representing the BBC?

I just think it's classic BBC. An over the top investigation that's taken too long to complete. Apparent briefing of the media which bizarrely tried to compare him to Savile. And now 2.5 weeks down the line they've decided it seems to sack him. Lovely.

I just hope they bothered to try and establish what's going on in his life that's caused him to snap like he did because regardless of the image the media like to give him sometimes.. I doubt he goes around trying to strangle people on a regular basis. But this is the BBC we're talking about. The organisation who sacked Jonathan Ross over a voice mail and couldn't keep hold of Jeremy Paxman. Nothing surprises me with them.
  • Options
    WillpurryWillpurry Posts: 2,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The BBC will have made a rod for their own back as well now. Fisticuffs behind the scenes between the 'talent' and production staff is not unknown and if anything comes to light in the future will the BBC do the same?

Who else has been punched?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just think it's classic BBC. An over the top investigation that's taken too long to complete. Apparent briefing of the media which bizarrely tried to compare him to Savile. And now 2.5 weeks down the line they've decided it seems to sack him. Lovely.

I don't see how this is any different to if you or I punched someone at our workplaces - you'd expect the same treatment and you would not get an immediate decision on your future at the company. Companies tend not to do anything that will open them up to legal hassle or employment tribunals.
    I just hope they bothered to try and establish what's going on in his life that's caused him to snap like he did because regardless of the image the media like to give him sometimes..

You appear to be making an assumption there.

I'm finding it hard to find any justification or excuse to punching someone because they turned up late to the hotel through choice and discovered that the chef doesn't stay there 24 hours to cook steaks. It's food in a first world country. It's not as if the producer put Clarkson into a life threatening situation.
    I doubt he goes around trying to strangle people on a regular basis. But this is the BBC we're talking about. The organisation who sacked Jonathan Ross over a voice mail and couldn't keep hold of Jeremy Paxman. Nothing surprises me with them.

You mean, the BBC that appears to be relatively consistent in its intolerance for gross misconduct and not allowing egos to rule?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why did they compare him to Savile?

What Savile did was way way way beyond anything Clarkson, Ross, Brand or anyone else who's been fired from the BBC ever did.

And after all they never sacked Savile, infact he was the Beeb's main man.
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm finding it hard to find any justification or excuse to punching someone because they turned up late to the hotel through choice and discovered that the chef doesn't stay there 24 hours to cook steaks. It's food in a first world country. It's not as if the producer put Clarkson into a life threatening situation.

Exactly. It's irrational. Had the guy insulted his daughter and he's smacked him you could perhaps understand it. But a rant about hot food that's escalated into some sort of physic altercation just isn't rational behaviour. And that's why I suggested they should perhaps examine if there is something going on outside of the work environment. He lost his Mother a year ago this time of year. Has he got a health issue. I just hope they asked, that's all. Regardless of what people think of his heinous crime.
  • Options
    BushmillsBushmills Posts: 2,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I just hope they bothered to try and establish what's going on in his life that's caused him to snap like he did because regardless of the image the media like to give him sometimes.. I doubt he goes around trying to strangle people on a regular basis. But this is the BBC we're talking about. The organisation who sacked Jonathan Ross over a voice mail and couldn't keep hold of Jeremy Paxman. Nothing surprises me with them.

So much wrong with this post.

The investigation hasn't been long and drawn out. If it had been any quicker, they'd have been accused of rushing to judgement without doing all the necessary interviews first. Incidentally what was "over the top" about it?

If he did "try to strangle" someone it's no defence to say 'it was only the once'.

They sacked the grotesquely overpaid Ross for disgraceful behaviour that brought the organisation into disrepute (by the way they replaced him with Norton, who rates better).

They managed to "hold on" to Paxman for 30 years. If anything, that was too long. He was bored and it showed.
  • Options
    WillpurryWillpurry Posts: 2,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Exactly. It's irrational. Had the guy insulted his daughter and he's smacked him you could perhaps understand it. But a rant about hot food that's escalated into some sort of physic altercation just isn't rational behaviour. And that's why I suggested they should perhaps examine if there is something going on outside of the work environment. He lost his Mother a year ago this time of year. Has he got a health issue. I just hope they asked, that's all. Regardless of what people think of his heinous crime.

He's clearly on the spectrum, which I suppose is a health issue.
  • Options
    Jellied EelJellied Eel Posts: 33,091
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's still not clear there were punches, just an argument and 30s of something possibly a bit physical. There were also 11 rooms booked at the hotel, so maybe the report will say how many of the cast & crew were there at the time, were late getting back & may also have preferred a hot meal. So Clarkson will move on, and the producer will have a rep for being unable to produce a cooked meal.
    You mean, the BBC that appears to be relatively consistent in its intolerance for gross misconduct and not allowing egos to rule?

That's like Maria Miller's comments. Showbiz is an ego-fuelled industry and perhaps needs better management.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Willpurry wrote: »
    Who else has been punched?

Several people have alluded to behind the scenes issues in the past when talking about Clarkson and you might remember Russell Crowe manhandling a BBC manager over cutting some rambling speech from a few years ago.

Tempers can easily get frayed when people work together often sorted out afterwards with a handshake and a beer, but now the media will be right on to any story.

Would the BBC sack a female presenter if she slapped a male production member I wonder?
  • Options
    Forum Member

What Savile did was way way way beyond anything Clarkson, Ross, Brand or anyone else who's been fired from the BBC ever did.

If you remember the BBC even ran a tribute to Savile even knowing what he'd been up to!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's still not clear there were punches, just an argument and 30s of something possibly a bit physical. There were also 11 rooms booked at the hotel, so maybe the report will say how many of the cast & crew were there at the time, were late getting back & may also have preferred a hot meal. So Clarkson will move on, and the producer will have a rep for being unable to produce a cooked meal.

That's presumably what will have been established in the investigation and will form the basis for whatever the decision really turns out to be.
    That's like Maria Miller's comments. Showbiz is an ego-fuelled industry and perhaps needs better management.

That just suggests that there should be management to enable ego-fuelled tantrums and poor decision making. It wouldn't fly in other industries where professionality is expected
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Would the BBC sack a female presenter if she slapped a male production member I wonder?

No the BBC only sack female presenters for being to old....

Anyone know why two senior BBC executives compared Clarkson to Savile? Surely if true this story will run and run.
  • Options
    Isambard BrunelIsambard Brunel Posts: 6,598
    Forum Member
    They didn't. Clarkson fans are just choosing to twist what was meant into an excuse to attack the disciplinary action being taken against their 'friend' for assaulting someone at work.

It was very clear what was meant by the remarks - that Jimmy Savile was allowed to get away with things that have now come back to haunt the BBC. It therefore cannot allow itself today to be seen allowing people to still get away with unacceptable behaviour, such as its highest pair stars punching the little people for example.
    That's the whole point. You may not have worked this out yet, but what happened with Jimmy Savile was wrong.

Would you demand that the police be allowed to round up various bunches of random Muslims and imprison them all for 15 years on trumped-up charges on the basis that, "well they did it to the Birmingham 6 and the Guilford 4, so why can't they do it to these people?"
    It's still not clear there were punches
    Didn't he have a split lip, blood running down his face and was taken to hospital to be checked over? The hospital bit sounds suspiciously like a tactic by the senior producers to cover their arses, distance themselves from Clarkson's actions and limit liability.
  • Options
    linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IvanIV wrote: »
    They could try to ask Jay Leno, he's passionate about cars and a nice person, too. Top Gear is a big name enough so he could seriously consider it.

I am not happy about the names mentioned to replace Clarkson but Jay Leno is a great host would be great to see him back on TV again.
  • Options
    linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »
    The chances of the show working with new presenters is slim.

Even changing just one person will change the dynamic so it just won't work.

Maybe the BBC will try it anyway, nothing to lose after all.

Reminds me of Two and a Half Men after sheen left..very different show but again a controversial guy but his replacement was awful..the show later run it's course and it's on it's last season.

Top Gear may last a few series but that's it. It won't be the same.

I knew Top Gear may end eventually with Clarkson however never expected it to be as soon.
  • Options
    MassiveDynamicsMassiveDynamics Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am not happy about the names mentioned to replace Clarkson but Jay Leno is a great host would be great to see him back on TV again.

I can't see him working for a UK audience, besides I doubt he'd want to relocate from Los Angeles especially on BBC pay rates.
  • Options
    VDUBsterVDUBster Posts: 1,423
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone who thinks he can be replaced and the show still works is an idiot!
    And clearly hasn't seen the US Top Gear...