James Corden's major flop in US?

Comments

• Options
    Gusto BruntGusto Brunt Posts: 12,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Microkorg wrote: »
    I have no need to "see" it..
    Just looking at those horrid stills of him & Hanks dressed up made me feel sick
    They may love him now, but it'll soon fall apart

USA can keep him

The video clip of Hanks and Corden was odd because it was Hanks who was the funny one, but the audience seemed to be wetting themselves at Corden. As if the first audience for Corden's show were paid extras.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As if the first audience for Corden's show were paid extras.

.. or they actually found Corden's contribution funny ?
  • Options
    Linda_DeanLinda_Dean Posts: 748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The need to see failure in others says most about the failings in you.
    Aurora13 wrote: »
    If you read again it is not about liking or disliking anyone. It is about being emotionally invested in wishing someones failure. Something that is prevalent across DS especially showbiz forum.

Very well said. This has to be the most sensible post I've read on this forum, thank you for saying it. It will be ignored, rebuffed and glossed over because some people just don't want to get it how they come across, particularly when wishing something unpleasant against a person they don't know and don't like because he's 'fat' or 'fake' or 'not funny' or 'a nob' or 'not talented', all subjective opinions. This person has done nothing to you, he's trivial, and you have a choice to listen to him or not, yet you want to gloat in their yet to happen failure. That is not a good look. The irony of what some here are calling him is lost.

For the record I couldn't care less about Corden. Seen him on some stuff, wasn't my thing, I moved on. I don't hang around things I don't like.

Saying that I love DS. I come on when I need a laugh, this was a funny thread. Irony is funny.
  • Options
    Sweaty Job RotSweaty Job Rot Posts: 2,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok saw the second show, again not impressed, he can't interview for toffee.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Corden is playing a role. James Corden late night tv talk show presenter.

The first week is going to be a bit stilted. I'll wait until the hype dies down and he's in to the show proper before I think he's decent at it.

As it's not on telly here though i'm not going to be watching much of it.
  • Options
    Nesta RobbinsNesta Robbins Posts: 30,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sweaty - Are you in the US? Just wondering where you are able to view his shows? Shame you put yourself through them only to find you weren't impressed!

I'd love to watch them! I like James! :p ......Okay, probably mad to admit this and I know he was a bit obsequious, but even enjoyed his road trip with Gary Barlow! :D Thanks!
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought the Americans understood soft London accents? His accent isn't exactly strong. I suppose it depends on how well you engage with your guests. The bosses of the TV show are supposedly worried that Corden's accent might be a bit difficult to understand for the audience, but Corden's not exactly got a strong accent.
  • Options
    hotguy25hotguy25 Posts: 879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sweaty - Are you in the US? Just wondering where you are able to view his shows? Shame you put yourself through them only to find you weren't impressed!

I'd love to watch them! I like James! :p ......Okay, probably mad to admit this and I know he was a bit obsequious, but even enjoyed his road trip with Gary Barlow! :D Thanks!

Therr are places to watch them if you look hard enough
  • Options
    djfunnymandjfunnyman Posts: 12,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    James Corden is very Cockney. People get that here, but in the US it won't be understood
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Some very strange comments in this thread. I wouldn't say i'm an expert on accents by any means but to say Corden is a cockney???

All most the complete opposite to the person who said he sounded like Jack Whitehall.
  • Options
    twellstwells Posts: 1,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    .. or they actually found Corden's contribution funny ?

Or the laughter sound track was enhanced for broadcast. You are aware these shows are performed hours before they're shown. No one stays up until the middle of the night to do them.
  • Options
    KrommKromm Posts: 6,180
    Forum Member
    Goaty wrote: »
    As I remember James got his chat show in USA last year but didn't realise the debut of it is this month?! Why long delay? And reports on Daily Mail not looks good. So big flop for him?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2995137/James-Corden-s-dress-rehearsal-Late-Late-fails-impress.html

It sounds like you don't have a clue what you are talking about.

The gap was always planned. Since Day 1. There's no story there, no behind the scenes scandal or errors that caused the delay.
    twells wrote: »
    Or the laughter sound track was enhanced for broadcast. You are aware these shows are performed hours before they're shown. No one stays up until the middle of the night to do them.

Sitcoms sometimes add laugh tracks or sweeten existing laughter. In theory a talk show could do it too, that's true, but I've never heard of even a single case where a talk show bothered. Especially given the complexities of sound editing and the gap of only a few hours between taping and broadcast on the US East Coast.
    djfunnyman wrote: »
    James Corden is very Cockney. People get that here, but in the US it won't be understood
    There are certainly yokels and hicks in some outlying regions who might bitch and complain that he's some "darn foreigner" and not watch him. But it won't be because he's not being understood. His speech is fairly clear to most American ears from everything I've heard and read across the net. His biggest problem will be idioms that make no sense to Americans--that's very different from his accent however.

Craig Ferguson had a much stronger accent in his earliest days on his version of this same show than Corden has, and both audiences and Ferguson himself adjusted. As I said, the bigger problem for Corden are those figures of speech and cultural references. Ferguson knew America pretty well, despite still having a fairly strong accent. Corden's knowledge of American culture is mostly limited to what he's seen in movies and exported TV (in other words, widely inaccurate).
  • Options
    haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't understand why so many people on this forum have it in for James Corden.
    Why do people continually post about how they want him to fail?

I hope his chat show venture goes well for him. Other than that I have little interest.
    If it fails he will easily be able to get more acting work.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    twells wrote: »
    You are aware these shows are performed hours before they're shown. No one stays up until the middle of the night to do them.

I'll resist the temption to give a sarcastic answer ..
  • Options
    calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The need to see failure in others says most about the failings in you.
    If you read again it is not about liking or disliking anyone. It is about being emotionally invested in wishing someones failure. Something that is prevalent across DS especially showbiz forum.
    Linda_Dean wrote: »
    Very well said. This has to be the most sensible post I've read on this forum, thank you for saying it. It will be ignored, rebuffed and glossed over because some people just don't want to get it how they come across, particularly when wishing something unpleasant against a person they don't know and don't like because he's 'fat' or 'fake' or 'not funny' or 'a nob' or 'not talented', all subjective opinions. This person has done nothing to you, he's trivial, and you have a choice to listen to him or not, yet you want to gloat in their yet to happen failure. That is not a good look. The irony of what some here are calling him is lost.

For the record I couldn't care less about Corden. Seen him on some stuff, wasn't my thing, I moved on. I don't hang around things I don't like.

Saying that I love DS. I come on when I need a laugh, this was a funny thread. Irony is funny.

Agree with all of that - some people just aren't happy unless they are anonymously slagging people off on internet forums.

Its probably one of the ugliest things about the internet.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    How is that "Poor" ?. Reads like a big success to me.

It is.

The huge ignorance here is about the fact that ratings of ALL American broadcast TV is microscopic compared to the numbers from even a few years ago. Cable, Internet options, etc. have decimated "normal" broadcast TV. It's just reality and comparing numbers to what people vaguely recall about what Johnny Carson might have gotten in his heyday, or even what someone in the same timeslot as Corden (an hour after Carson's timeslot) got a decade ago (so maybe Conan O'Brian at that time) is a non-starter. Today is today and broadcast TV in the US is a small business compared to what it used to be, and original programming at 12:30 perhaps only a few years from them totally giving up on it and showing repeats of old sitcoms instead.
    Lizzyroz wrote: »
    Sorry this is from the Mail, but it sounds as if the wants a Wossy/Norton style show with all the guests on at once, and the producers and actors agents aren't keen. I can't understand why he was picked when there seem to be others who are far more qualified for the chat show format.

I can't see him lasting beyond a few months to be honest. :(

The Norton formula he's following (it's more that than a Wossy one) actually seems to be working somewhat. At least anecdotally I've read a lot of viewers are liking it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Good for him. I hate this knock anyone with ambition attitude that exists in UK. Who knows whether he'll succeed but he will have given it a go.

Ambition is evil and makes you just like a lousy stinking American! :D
  • Options
    MicrokorgMicrokorg Posts: 2,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll resist the temption to give a sarcastic answer ..

Why?
    You normally don't :p
  • Options
    PunksNotDeadPunksNotDead Posts: 21,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He seems to be doing well out there and the Americans are warming to him, both the Tom Hanks sketch and Mariah Carey car karaoke video have gone viral!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ok saw the second show, again not impressed, he can't interview for toffee.

There was a second one??:o
  • Options
    CaligCalig Posts: 351
    Forum Member
    haphash wrote: »
    I don't understand why so many people on this forum have it in for James Corden.
    Why do people continually post about how they want him to fail?

The thread title is quite negative so that might be attracting more negative comments.

In the TV Shows: US forum thread the comments are mostly positive and no one has expressed a desire for him to fail.

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2060951

So perhaps Showbiz posters have a more negative outlook on life? All that bitching about celebs is probably bad for a persons attitude.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Calig wrote: »
    The thread title is quite negative so that might be attracting more negative comments.

In the TV Shows: US forum thread the comments are mostly positive and no one has expressed a desire for him to fail.

So perhaps Showbiz posters have a more negative outlook on life? All that bitching about celebs is probably bad for a persons attitude.

I think the fact of the matter is, Corden isn't talented. So he doesn't deserve a big break into American TV.

He's always played himself on TV. Gavin and Stacey was like a CBBC programme. Likewise with the Mans show.

But the biggest joke was Corden 'playing' Paul Potts. :D NO ATTEMPT was made to either look or resemble Potts in any way. It was once again James Corden playing James Corden.
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    djfunnyman wrote: »

Cockney. I don't think he sounds the least bit Cockney.
    He sounds more Essex than Cockney.
  • Options
    The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Calig wrote: »

Yeah. I mean all the other sub forums are SO positive.
  • Options
    big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There was a second one??:o

Yes. There will be a 4th, 50th and 500th. I'm pretty sure that most people will understand that the execs at the studio will have he utmost confidence in him.

The show is currently ahead of its ratings expectations for early shows and will only get stronger