Options

Amanda Knox acquitted of the murder of Meredith Kercher again

Comments

• Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    the italian system seems about level with the us on the we don`t care how many juries have set you free we`re just going to keep right on taking you back until we find one that will convict front.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dr. Claw wrote: »

"..but leaves questions over the brutal death of Meredith Kercher unanswered " ..

And still the media persist with this, for want of a better word, 'undercurrent' of trying to imply that Knox and Sollecito were involved in some way. But then it's hardly surprising I suppose.
  • Options
    FIN-MANFIN-MAN Posts: 1,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "..but leaves questions over the brutal death of Meredith Kercher unanswered " ..

And still the media persist with this, for want of a better word, 'undercurrent' of trying to imply that Knox and Sollecito were involved in some way. But then it's hardly surprising I suppose.

I don't understand this either. Hasn't it been proven through DNA evidence that Rudy Guede was the killer of Meredith Kercher and that this trial was to prove if Knox and Sollecito were complicit? Even though the court ruled that their was insufficient evidence to prove that they were involved, It doesn't change the fact that they have the killer behind bars. So the questions of who killed Meredith have been answered.
  • Options
    Aurora13Aurora13 Posts: 30,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FIN-MAN wrote: »
    I don't understand this either. Hasn't it been proven through DNA evidence that Rudy Guede was the killer of Meredith Kercher and that this trial was to prove if Knox and Sollecito were complicit? Even though the court ruled that their was insufficient evidence to prove that they were involved, It doesn't change the fact that they have the killer behind bars. So the questions of who killed Meredith have been answered.

Surprising how many folks don't realise the rapist and killer is behind bars. Do Meredith family have links to media as Piers Morgan said on his US show that he knew them personally? Media in UK are perpetuating this by not reporting / reminding folks of this simple fact.
  • Options
    anais32anais32 Posts: 12,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People DO falsely implicate others as well as themselves under interrogation. It was a major factor in the Cardiff 3 case.

Amanda's Knox's 'confesssion' and implicating another person was actually not even admissible as evidence in the first case as it broke not only Italian law but the ECHR. It was extracted hours after she had been interrogated without an interpreter (she could not speak very good Italian at the time). We can't be sure she even knew what she was suggesting. If that is all the 'she must be guilty' gang have to go on, its nothing.
  • Options
    Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    Some people here are obsessed.

None of us can know whether she was guilty or not.

I don't think she was, but I honestly don't know.

I wouldn't trust anybody who sweepingly and absolutely claims she was or was not guilty. If somebody is able to jump to such conclusions so abruptly it means I doubt their ability to make impartial and balanced decisions.

It's a complicated case and the evidence is too mixed. Now too much time has gone by and the courts have demonstrated themselves to be nothing but a circus unable of finding the truth, whatever it may be. We will never know. Period.

I think that just about sums it up.
  • Options
    fefsterfefster Posts: 7,388
    Forum Member
    shelleyj89 wrote: »
    It's not about being "pro-Knox" or pro-Sollecito I might add, seeing as nobody else seems to mention him, it's about believing two people who were accused of murder didn't do it. I have never bought the multiple attackers theory.

I assume you were happy to "abide by the court ruling because they know best" when it found them guilty though? Where have you got the idea that this court ruled there were multiple attackers? We don't yet have the explanation of the annulled convictions. Or are you talking about the original prosecutor and his sex game theory?

Sollecitos lawyer stated this in their statement to the press when the verdict was delivered on Friday.
    http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/mar/28/meredith-kercher-amanda-knox-raffaele-sollecito-italy-case
  • Options
    Forum Member

Why do you think there is an 'undercurrent'?
  • Options
    prgirl_cescaprgirl_cesca Posts: 477
    Forum Member
    No doubt that Guede was involved in the murdered of Meredith, however the evidence did suggest there was more than one person involved. Traces of 3 people were found.

Rudy also didn't implicate knox and sollecito to reduce his sentence he he opted to fast track his trial and plead guilty for a shorter sentence which was offered to knox too.

I'm not sure of their involvement...maybe they just found her body and panicked. But this site is interesting with all the evidence listed:

http://themurderofmeredithkercher.com/The_Evidence
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    Some people here are obsessed.

None of us can know whether she was guilty or not.

I don't think she was, but I honestly don't know.

I wouldn't trust anybody who sweepingly and absolutely claims she was or was not guilty. If somebody is able to jump to such conclusions so abruptly it means I doubt their ability to make impartial and balanced decisions.

It's a complicated case and the evidence is too mixed. Now too much time has gone by and the courts have demonstrated themselves to be nothing but a circus unable of finding the truth, whatever it may be. We will never know. Period.

I think you are a voice of reason and probably right.

It's really not worth arguing over the minutiae of this case, back and forth, back and forth on this thread.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No doubt that Guede was involved in the murdered of Meredith, however the evidence did suggest there was more than one person involved. Traces of 3 people were found.

Rudy also didn't implicate knox and sollecito to reduce his sentence he he opted to fast track his trial and plead guilty for a shorter sentence which was offered to knox too.

I'm not sure of their involvement...maybe they just found her body and panicked. But this site is interesting with all the evidence listed:

There is some useful info on there but it's pretty biased I'm afraid to say. Even the fact they have styled it like Wikipedia to give it gravitas is wrong.
  • Options
    Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fefster wrote: »
    Sollecitos lawyer stated this in their statement to the press when the verdict was delivered on Friday.
    http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/mar/28/meredith-kercher-amanda-knox-raffaele-sollecito-italy-case

This is an interesting read with regards to their alibi.

http://themurderofmeredithkercher.com/Problems_With_The_Alibi

Also, it would be interesting to learn that if true about their phones being turned off, whether or not it was a regular activity or just a one off.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why do you think there is an 'undercurrent'?

Because it's always been there. Whenever this case is mentioned, there is rarely any definitive mention of Guede or the fact he is serving time for the murder.

It's always been "so what really happened on that night?" and "so who really killed meredith kercher?" and, quite often, "meredith kercher's parents search for justice continues" (obviously i'm paraphrasing to a degree).

for me, it's this constant implication that knox and sollecito were involved without actually saying so.
  • Options
    EvieJEvieJ Posts: 6,042
    Forum Member
    People are murdered everyday and we don't hear about it.

The "Foxy Knoxy" persona, which was created by the media has been maintaining an interest for years. Insulting as it is to Merediths memory and her poor family, still has earning potential. Now the final word has been given the responsible thing would be to let Meredith rest in peace, her family allowed to accept it and Amanda and Rafael to be allowed to get on with their lives. Alas that doesn't allow anyone to continue to profit, the "undercurrent" does.
  • Options
    maninthequeuemaninthequeue Posts: 2,479
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

^

The well known guilter/hater site.

Not exactly a neutral place for information.

Interestingly I hear this morning that now AK & RS have been cleared they are considering taking out libel litigation against a number of newspapers & websites. And that site which did so much to propagate "untruths" as facts is very close to being #1 on their hit list.

For a more neutral perspective:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/amanda-knox-acquitted-finally-they-are-free-this-was-an-outrageous-miscarriage-of-justice-10140573.html

http://www.economist.com/news/europe/21647486-overdue-acquittal-amanda-knox-exposes-glaring-flaws-italys-criminal-justice-system-innocente?fsrc=scn/tw/te/bl/ed/innocente

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/amanda-knox-acquitted-meredith-kerchers-family-bitter-about-italian-courts-verdict-10141391.html

And with AK taking her calumnia conviction to the ECHR, which most experts think her interrogation (remember she was a foreign language student, and the foreign language she was fluent in from studying in America was German not Italian); the long hours without a lawyer which carried on all day until she signed a written up "confession" by the Perugian police force; without a professional lawyer or independent translator; and crucially it was not recorded (audio or video) will be ruled as illegal/inadmissible; and therefore her conviction for that would be overturned.

Being a somewhat cynical person I would expect the USA media to think she was innocent; as I would expect the default setting of the Italian & UK media to initially think she was guilty.

But you have to consider separate investigation TV documentaries carried out in the past few years in Germany; France; Sweden; Australia; & Japan of this high profile case all concluded in all probability that AK & RS had nothing to do with the murder of MK. And that it is most probable that professional cat burglar Rude Guede was the lone killer.

The fact of the matter is due to the poor manner in which the Italian Police force failed to seal off the murder scene, it is therefore impossible to say that AK & RS had nothing to do with the crime. Just as it is impossible to say Accrington Stanley wont win the 2016 FA Cup. But equally it is highly improbable that they will.
  • Options
    Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Knox is no doubt now negotiating a chat show circuit and her exclusive story in book form, and good luck to her as an innocent person
  • Options
    postitpostit Posts: 23,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dr. Claw wrote: »

She'll be able to pay Lumumba's court ordered compensation now then.
  • Options
    idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    Because it's always been there. Whenever this case is mentioned, there is rarely any definitive mention of Guede or the fact he is serving time for the murder.

It's always been "so what really happened on that night?" and "so who really killed meredith kercher?" and, quite often, "meredith kercher's parents search for justice continues" (obviously i'm paraphrasing to a degree).

for me, it's this constant implication that knox and sollecito were involved without actually saying so.

The rags love this one though because it has an element of sexual sleaze and promiscuity that they can trade on.
  • Options
    maninthequeuemaninthequeue Posts: 2,479
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    postit wrote: »
    She'll be able to pay Lumumba's court ordered compensation now then.

When you consider she is appealing that to the ECHR, and most experts think it will be a formality that her conviction for calumnia will be overturned/thrown out then it suggests he is not going to see a penny that.
  • Options
    Crawley CutieCrawley Cutie Posts: 10,948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm too old to jump anywhere :)

We already do know the truth. The real killer was tried and convicted of the crime and is currently serving time for it.

I reiterate that, IMO, we will never know the truth. Your assertion that we do - is your opinion.

This farcical court's latest ruling is now in accordance with your beliefs...after previously delivering Guilty, Not Guilty, Guilty, Non Guilty verdicts. How can they be trusted ?

The Italian courts just wanted to get rid........

Shame that anyone might make a fortune out of Meredith Kercher's death.

We will wait & see !!
  • Options
    Forum Member

Every time I have seen a news report, Guede has been mentioned. I'm not sure your assertion is 100% correct.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I reiterate that, IMO, we will never know the truth. Your assertion that we do - is your opinion.

This farcical court's latest ruling is now in accordance with your beliefs...after previously delivering Guilty, Not Guilty, Guilty, Non Guilty verdicts. How can they be trusted ?

The Italian courts just wanted to get rid........

Shame that anyone might make a fortune out of Meredith Kercher's death.

We will wait & see !!

Considering this is supposed to be the definitive verdict and they have decided there were other killers but not enough evidence to convict Knox and Sollecito, I would say this is very far from a complete exoneration for the pair.

You wouldn't know it from this thread though.
  • Options
    mrsgrumpy49mrsgrumpy49 Posts: 10,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can't jail someone just for being a horrible person or hammy actor.

Umm I don't think I suggested that? :confused:
  • Options
    anais32anais32 Posts: 12,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Considering this is supposed to be the definitive verdict and they have decided there were other killers but not enough evidence to convict Knox and Sollecito, I would say this is very far from a complete exoneration for the pair.

You wouldn't know it from this thread though.

It IS an exoneration.

Once again. Because you do not seem to understand the ruling.

This is not merely an acquittal. The Italian Supreme Court has annulled the verdict. This means there was never a case to answer.