Options

The 15 people you will find in any forum or comments section

Comments

• Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    40. The essay writer. Those who write posts that take you an hour to sift to the point and have interpret its relevance, where you have to address it in numerous parts and by the time you do respond, the thread has moved on 30 pages as has the discussion.

41. TL: DR. Those who type this combination of letters and symbols if a post is more than 6 lines long.
  • Options
    himerushimerus Posts: 3,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    There are a lot of pendants on here. ;-)

Oh deer, oh deer!
  • Options
    Brummie Girl Brummie Girl Posts: 22,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    3. The person who agrees without adding to the discussion.

To really emphasise how much they concur, they will often paste someone’s previous point and write ‘This’ underneath. Thanks for your contribution dude.

I see ^This as a forum equivalent of the like button on Facebook. Not sure there is anything wrong with it myself.
    14. The ‘first world problems’ guys

The fact that there are worse things happening in the world means that you should be ashamed for talking about anything else, obviously.

There is a thread in the Showbiz forum about last week being a black week in the showbiz world listing Zayn leaving 1D, Jeremy Clarkson being sacked and Downton Abbey finishing. Obviously the poster was just having a laugh and wasn't being entirely serious but somebody came along and said 150 people have died in a plane crash which is much more devasting than the things listed in the original post. It was just a fun post and that comment about the crash put a dampener on the thread. Of course people losing their lives in a crash is devasting but that particular thread was not the place to comment on it as its not showbiz related.
  • Options
    PoppySeedPoppySeed Posts: 2,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think this was on the list but I hate it when people quote a really long post from someone else just to add a word or sentence to it.
  • Options
    Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has the person who is always flippant and can't take anything seriously been mentioned-or the one who can't get/take a joke?
  • Options
    Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've seen them all on here, lol. I'm not there, though. :p
  • Options
    LinseyapLinseyap Posts: 5,748
    Forum Member
    What about the person who can't write a coherent paragraph for toffee? Or doesn't even understand the concept of paragraphs. Sorry, ain't reading that post.
  • Options
    HarrisonMarksHarrisonMarks Posts: 4,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    There are a lot of pendants on here. ;-)

You left that dangling.
  • Options
    silentNatesilentNate Posts: 84,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    42) The poster who links to The Daily Fail and doesn't add their own comment.

43) The poster who refers to it as The Daily Fail or Hate Mail ;):D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Linseyap wrote: »
    What about the person who can't write a coherent paragraph for toffee? Or doesn't even understand the concept of paragraphs. Sorry, ain't reading that post.

tl:dr :p
  • Options
    EvieJEvieJ Posts: 6,045
    Forum Member
    The poster who visits a variety of threads but rarely contributes to the discussion preferring to comment on the posters or their motivations instead.
  • Options
    BeethovensPianoBeethovensPiano Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "This" :o:D>:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "This" :o:D>:(

End of. ;):D
  • Options
    bollywoodbollywood Posts: 67,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Linseyap wrote: »

Or those who don't write full sentences, but fragments. :)
  • Options
    muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not sure which I am, of combination of which I am ... I'll leave that for others to decide :D

My least favourite kind of posts are the grammar police ones and those who post the 'x or y FM will be along in a minute and say a or b' and react to what hasn't yet been said, may never be said and are already angry about something that they are waiting or hoping will be said, essentially an opinion that hasn't yet been expressed on the thread :D
  • Options
    threecheesesthreecheeses Posts: 23,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see ^This as a forum equivalent of the like button on Facebook. Not sure there is anything wrong with it myself.

At least if a poster is going to quote a whole post and then just type 'this' they can add something, or expand on a particular point they agree with.

'This', to me is the most irritating comment I see on here, no real logic as to why it annoys me so much, perhaps it says 'more about me than...' which leads to my second most irritating post.

'Says more about you than.....', another non-contributing effort.

Regarding the 'this' I would like DS to add a plus 1 function to the forum, not that much unlike a 'like' but something you see on other forums so we don't have pages of quoted posts with absolutely no contribution.
  • Options
    BinaryDadBinaryDad Posts: 3,988
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Number 9 is a bit dodgy. If people are having a discussion, it considered to be up to the person making an assertion to prove that it's true; not for others to do the research.
  • Options
    bollywoodbollywood Posts: 67,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BinaryDad wrote: »
    Number 9 is a bit dodgy. If people are having a discussion, it considered to be up to the person making an assertion to prove that it's true; not for others to do the research.

Not really because it's opinions not a scientific study.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BinaryDad wrote: »

I totally agree with you there.

You do get people who make an assertion, then when called out on it, come out with "look it up" or "google is your friend".
  • Options
    MrsWatermelonMrsWatermelon Posts: 3,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think I'm most likely to be number 4, tearing apart a badly written or unscientific article the OP has posted.

I find number 1 (the 'who cares' guy) and number 8 (the 'what do you know') the most irritating, plus number 2 (the pedant) if all they do is correct posters' grammar and spelling. Fair enough if they're pointing out an error that actually affects the thread topic.
  • Options
    calamitycalamity Posts: 12,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you have a link for that, or have you must made it up?
    hahahaha... oh yes theres always one...who wants proof...who wants to mock and take a poster down.. how sad they are.. to sit behind their screen sweating over what they think is their wonderful response to some nice poster they dont even know and waiting nervously on a comeback from them.. and if they dont get one that irritates them as they dont know if theyve scared off the person inssulted or the person is ingoring them or laughing at them.. still sweating then ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bollywood wrote: »
    Not really because it's opinions not a scientific study.

In any discussion, you're still required to prove why your "opinions" make more sense than another persons. And it's up to each person to provide that proof, not for others to go looking for it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    calamity wrote: »
    hahahaha... oh yes theres always one...who wants proof...who wants to mock and take a poster down.. how sad they are.. to sit behind their screen sweating over what they think is their wonderful response to some nice poster they dont even know and waiting nervously on a comeback from them.. and if they dont get one that irritates them as they dont know if theyve scared off the person inssulted or the person is ingoring them or laughing at them.. still sweating then ?

I hate to disappoint you, but from my view, if they don't provide any evidence then they can just be ignored. No sweating involved - just a good indication that the other person is most likely a poorly educated buffoon.
  • Options
    tealadytealady Posts: 26,268
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where was the one for a post that adds to the discussion by way of experience or an example?
    What about someone who has expertise on a subject ? For example there was a thread last week in advice called 'Question for seacam'
  • Options
    Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    EvieJ wrote: »
    The poster who visits a variety of threads but rarely contributes to the discussion preferring to comment on the posters or their motivations instead.

Yeah I've noticed that type of poster too.

I think #3 is probably the one I'm closest too, though I'd never say 'this' - it's one of my biggest pet hates!

Posters who think they are the grammar police irritate me. As long as the post can be read and understood there should be no need to comment on grammar or spelling etc. But worst of all are the wannabe mods. For me, they are irritating beyond belief. There are a couple of posters here who are terrible for this, and I often read their posts and think to myself "Ffs give it a rest!" I think they ruin the forum just as much as some of the trolls.